585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1867 Post(s)
Liked: 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

1) you need to tell the avr to perform video processing on that input....

How would that work? ... "Okay AVR listen up ... you need to perform video processing on that input"

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2033 Old 12-02-2011, 08:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 90
^^^

LOL!!! what, you mean your avr doesn't respond to verbal commands?

darned if i remember... i'm getting old... i wish i could remember all the various menu structures, they all run together in my mind...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #363 of 2033 Old 12-02-2011, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

1) you need to tell the avr to perform video processing on that input....

2) go into your set top box menu. somewhere in there, there will be an option called something similar to "hdmi audio". change that from "fixed" to "variable".*

*note: i would not want it to work the way you want... 2 different attenuators in a chain is just asking for trouble...

Thanks for the answer!

For #1: I looked in the PDF user guide, on the index at the end about Video conversion refers to pages 5 and 110 I believe, and I didn't find anything about activating video processing. Where is this located in the GUI?

About #2: What kind of troubles am I looking at, here?
post #364 of 2033 Old 12-03-2011, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 44
i think the receiver u should go for is the marantz 5006 nly for the fact is it give u everything u need in today tec world a man can every need and use it has 7.2 surround sound built inside of the receiver ,also 100 watts per channal ,aswell at built in 3D crossover and the best i think is AIRPLAY that apple new thing were u can use your ipad ,ipod touch ,or iphon 4/4s ,to stream all your music and photos and video useing wi-fi all u need to do is hook up a internet cable in the back plug it in to your wi-fi router and BOOM u are all done u can stream all your music with the push of a button i want to get the same speakers al u but i am thinking about getting the RF-62 II OR RF-82 II but my center channal will be the RC-62 II good luck hope this helped u buddy happy holidays .
post #365 of 2033 Old 12-03-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxheaven View Post

Thanks for the answer!

For #1: I looked in the PDF user guide, on the index at the end about Video conversion refers to pages 5 and 110 I believe, and I didn't find anything about activating video processing. Where is this located in the GUI?

About #2: What kind of troubles am I looking at, here?

I still haven't figured out how to activate/deactivate/setup the pass-through function or video chip settings. I searched the PDF file for "video", "conversion", "pass-through", "1080p", and other key words but haven't found anything. Pressing the OSD info button tells me the resolution, for example "720p" but that's just a "read only" information, there's no settings anywhere.
I am still hoping to find out if I'm doing something wrong, and what to do to solve it.

About the volume attenuator, well my STB has no such option. But my TV does, when I set the speakers to "off" and activate the "home theater" function in advance audio. Pressing the VOL +/- on the TV remote will adjust the Marantz's master volume. So, at least when I watch OTA TV, I can use the TV remote for both channel surfing and volume adjustment. But, not when I watch cable, I then have to use the STB remote for channel/guide functions, and the Marantz remote for volume adjustment. It's only a minor annoyance... most users I presume just buy and use a Harmony or other universal remote anyway.
post #366 of 2033 Old 12-03-2011, 12:59 PM

I purchase it 3 week ago. But I have must done something because on my TV I can only see the adjust menu and volume. I can't see nor the iPod, internet stations. I can only see it on the round display on the receiver but on the TV.
Does any one know how to activate it back?
post #367 of 2033 Old 12-05-2011, 11:14 AM

This one or Yamaha Aventage RX-A2010???

Narrowed my choice to these two, any thoughts? I am looking for the best mix of sound and video upscalling. They both have networking and HD Radio so I am all set on that.

Thanks.
post #368 of 2033 Old 12-06-2011, 10:35 AM

I recently picked up a SR6006 and love it...it does so much...but am having a problem with the HDMI return audio channel. I have a Samsung PN51D7000 which plays audio/video directly from a connected usb which I use frequently to watch dl'ed tv/movies. The SR6006 is connected to the Samsung TV via one high speed HDMI cable using the primary HDMI out. I am under the impression that ARC will allow the audio from the usb connected to the Samsung TV to be sent back and played on the receiver, however, this is not working...there is no audio coming from the receiver. The audio will play from the TV speakers when the option is selected on the TV but I can't get the audio from the usb/TV to play from the receiver (via ARC). Not sure where the problem lies, all the components are suppose to support HDMIv1.4 and ARC (i.e. TV, Receiver, HDMI cable). A simple solution would be to use the optical out on the TV but that defeats the point of ARC I believe. If anyone has any advice/input/insight it would be greatly appriciated. Thanks.

Additional Info:
*Samsung PN51D7000:
-TV is suppose to support HDMI v1.4 and ARC.
-I have Anynet+ enabed on the TV (per the Samsung instructions).
-I also have the TV configured to play audio through external speakers.
*I have enable the ARC function by setting the HDMI Control to ON (per the Marantz instructions).
*I am not sure what source to select on the receiver but have tried them all...logically I would think the TV options would be what would work given the receiver knows the HDMI out is going to a TV.
post #369 of 2033 Old 12-06-2011, 11:14 AM
585-645-1006

^^
You have to upgrade to the Samsung 8000 series to get ARC as the 7000 series does not support it. As indicated in your Owner's manual, you must connect an optical cable from the TV to the AVR to pass audio back to the AVR.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #370 of 2033 Old 12-06-2011, 12:13 PM

^
Thanks for the response jdsmoothie. The 7000 and 8000 seem to have the same HDMI version (1.4) but on the samsung website neither is specifically noted as having ARC functionality. I was under the impression that if it supported HDMI v1.4 then it would support ARC...apparently I was wrong. Can you confirm that HDMI v1.4 does not ensure ARC functionality?
post #371 of 2033 Old 12-06-2011, 12:21 PM
585-645-1006

^^
The HDMI 1.4 spec has a number of features (to include ARC) that a mfr can choose to implement or not. As you just learned, not all HDMI 1.4 TV's support ARC. In order for the feature to work, it must be supported by both the TV and the AVR. Then on the flip side, you have TV's that aren't 3D but do support ARC (as is the case with my Panny LCD).

post #372 of 2033 Old 12-06-2011, 07:56 PM

Fios not working on hdmi pass through with sr5006.
I was able to get my bluray to do passthrough, but when I set the hdmi control to on with fios I lose the picture and it's just a black screen. Called marantz, they said it is not their problem- talk to Verizon. Verizon had no insight. So had anyone tried their newest DVD box- the black one that they call the storage expander. You can get it supposedly for $40 as an upgrade over your current fios box. Thinking about trying it, but wanted to know if anyone was successful getting hdmi passthrough with it.
Thanks
post #373 of 2033 Old 12-06-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethKo View Post

Fios not working on hdmi pass through with sr5006.
I was able to get my bluray to do passthrough, but when I set the hdmi control to on with fios I lose the picture and it's just a black screen. Called marantz, they said it is not their problem- talk to Verizon. Verizon had no insight. So had anyone tried their newest DVD box- the black one that they call the storage expander. You can get it supposedly for $40 as an upgrade over your current fios box. Thinking about trying it, but wanted to know if anyone was successful getting hdmi passthrough with it.
Thanks

DVR box. Not DVD. Spell correct got me.
post #374 of 2033 Old 12-08-2011, 02:09 AM
wug

Hi guys!

I have a chance to get the Marantz 6006 or Onkyo TX-NR809 but i can't decide it. Price is pretty much same. Both are brand new. I will pair them with stand floor speakers Canton LE109 which are 4-8 ohms impedance. I also have a Dune HD D1 media player. With my current a/v receiver Sherwood Newcastle R-772 the communication via HDMI with media player sucks. There is a lag of 5-7 seconds in audio. So the image is displayed but no sound for 5-7 sec which is annoying. Sherwood can't find any solution for this issue. I also test my media player with Marantz SR 5005 and there was no delay or lag in communication via HDMI. Please help me with this and also why would you choose that particular model.

Thanks!

Adi
post #375 of 2033 Old 12-08-2011, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wug View Post

Hi guys!

I have a chance to get the Marantz 6006 or Onkyo TX-NR809 but i can't decide it. Price is pretty much same. Both are brand new. I will pair them with stand floor speakers Canton LE109 which are 4-8 ohms impedance. I also have a Dune HD D1 media player. With my current a/v receiver Sherwood Newcastle R-772 the communication via HDMI with media player sucks. There is a lag of 5-7 seconds in audio. So the image is displayed but no sound for 5-7 sec which is annoying. Sherwood can't find any solution for this issue. I also test my media player with Marantz SR 5005 and there was no delay or lag in communication via HDMI. Please help me with this and also why would you choose that particular model.

Thanks!

I've had both and the Marantz just sounds better, IMO. The Onkyo died on me and I went to the Marantz and love it. I also wanted the dual HDMI out that the Marantz had.
post #376 of 2033 Old 12-08-2011, 08:53 AM
wug

Thanks ekkoville!

Do you think is a big difference sound wise between Marantz 6006 and the older 6004? The design on Marantz is far better than the any other a/v receiver in my opinion.

Adi
post #377 of 2033 Old 12-08-2011, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Thanks ekkoville!

Do you think is a big difference sound wise between Marantz 6006 and the older 6004? The design on Marantz is far better than the any other a/v receiver in my opinion.

Unless something is wrong with one of the receivers, there will NOT be an audible "difference in sound."

Pick the one that has the features you want, or looks better to you, etc.. There are probably more reports of reliability problems with Onkyo, but it may be all anecdotal.
post #378 of 2033 Old 12-08-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:

Thanks ekkoville!

This is my first Marantz piece so I only have this to go by, but as said above there probably isn't a difference. Is the 6004 a new model? I thought the new models ended with a 6. The 6004 may be an older model.
post #379 of 2033 Old 12-08-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:

Hi guys!

Thanks!

How much is the 6006 and where you getting it? Thx.
post #380 of 2033 Old 12-08-2011, 01:28 PM

Following up on my own question, here.

So, after reading and asking around, is it possible that the SR5006 doesn't upscale digital video signals?
So, if the input is HDMI, it's basically just pass-through signal? That would explain why my STB outputting HDMI 720p signal to the receiverout is output at 720p through the Marantz.
Then, what if I connected the STB in component to the Marantz instead? Would it be output as 1080p HDMI? Or still 720p HDMI? The manual really isn't clear about that. But the website and the reviews I saw everywhere all state "upscaling of ANALOG video inputs up to 1080p".
post #381 of 2033 Old 12-08-2011, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Just be aware that most (not all, but nearly so) AVRs, even those with excellent video processing for HDMI inputs, score significantly less well when converting from analogue video (component, for example) to HDMI. You might be better off simply letting your signal pass through the AVR and let the TV do the final scaling.
post #382 of 2033 Old 12-08-2011, 11:53 PM

I'm having an issue with my new SR6006. I am having really bad screen flickering when connecting my PS3 to it via HDMI. It flickers and sometimes drops video and goes black and then re-displays video again. I have other hdmi devices connected including xbox, cable box, and hd-dvd player and they all work fine. I've tried 4 different hdmi cables that i know work and I have also tried plugging in different inputs on the receiver without luck. Plugging hdmi directly to the TV works fine without flickering. I have a Samsung LN46C650 TV.

Oh, this flickering does not occur when playing a blu-ray movie or game.
post #383 of 2033 Old 12-09-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minotauri View Post

I'm having an issue with my new SR6006. I am having really bad screen flickering when connecting my PS3 to it via HDMI. It flickers and sometimes drops video and goes black and then re-displays video again. I have other hdmi devices connected including xbox, cable box, and hd-dvd player and they all work fine. I've tried 4 different hdmi cables that i know work and I have also tried plugging in different inputs on the receiver without luck. Plugging hdmi directly to the TV works fine without flickering. I have a Samsung LN46C650 TV.

Oh, this flickering does not occur when playing a blu-ray movie or game.

Have you checked the video settings on the PS3? When I reconnected mine from another display I had no video due to settings in the PS3. I had to remove it, hook back up to the previous TV, and change display settings in order make adjustments. Might be something to check.
post #384 of 2033 Old 12-09-2011, 10:09 AM
585-645-1006

^^
When moving the PS3 from one device/display to another, the easiest way to reset it is to power it on by pressing/holding the power on button for about 10 seconds until the unit beeps (while it's connected to the new device/display).

post #385 of 2033 Old 12-09-2011, 02:55 PM

^^ Wished I had known that. It was during hurricane Irene and recent NE snow storm/power outage in October. I should have known though, bad on my part.
post #386 of 2033 Old 12-09-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post

Just be aware that most (not all, but nearly so) AVRs, even those with excellent video processing for HDMI inputs, score significantly less well when converting from analogue video (component, for example) to HDMI. You might be better off simply letting your signal pass through the AVR and let the TV do the final scaling.

Was mostly out of curiosity that I wanted to try it.

Turns out the SR5006 doesn't do any upscaling whatsoever.
All it basically does is convert a component in to HDMI out.
I connected my STB with the component cables today, and it still output whatever the STB was outputting. Even when I set the STB to 480i, the Marantz still output 480i through HDMI to the TV, so it doesn't even de-interlace the signal.
post #387 of 2033 Old 12-09-2011, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Depending on the quality of the video processing in your TV, that could be a good thing. My projector (at the time I bought it in 2007) was highly ranked for its video processing. It took me a while to track down a player that would put out 480i over HDMI to allow the projector to do all the processing. Perhaps this is a blessing in disguise.
post #388 of 2033 Old 12-09-2011, 09:04 PM

Liked: 21
I'm thinking of getting the 5006 from accessories4less! Is this right piece for a den using this gear fronts rb 61 II rears ks20 center rc 52 II sw112 and center rear kc2 hooking it up to a sharp 52" led

Main System
Fronts RB 81 II BLK
Cener RC 52 II BLK
Rears RB 61 II CHERRY (going to be replaced with a black set)
Subwoofer SW112 BLK
SR 5006
MM7025
LG 55 LED 120HZ BDPS590 ipad 2 remote
Bedroom RB 41 II BLK/ TXSR 607 / TCL32X1 / BDPS370 / Apple TV 2 wife ipad3 remote
post #389 of 2033 Old 12-09-2011, 11:09 PM
Advanced Member

I'm contemplating buying the 5006 (although the Onkyo 709 is a contender).

I've searched but can't find details... the 5006 is marketed as a "7.1" receiver, however there are two subwoofer pre-outs. Why don't they market it as 7.2? Is there an internal difference?

Paul
post #390 of 2033 Old 12-10-2011, 05:53 AM
585-645-1006

^^
There really is no such thing as a 7.2 AVR as there's only (1) LFE channel regardless of how many sub preouts the AVR features. The 5006 uses an internal "Y" splitter to split the LFE channel to each of two sub preouts which can be easily replicated using a $3 RCA "Y" splitter connected to an AVR with a single sub preout.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5006 Av Receiver , Marantz Sr6006 Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr5006 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page