Marantz SR5006 / Marantz SR6006 Receiver Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 2003 Old 01-05-2012, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i just got the 6006 home and hooked up last night. i havent had much time to play with it yet, but i did plug my ipod into the usb to test it out. problem i have with the ipod, is that it will play for a random length of time (less than a full song) and then playback will stop and the gui goes back to the song list. any thoughts/ideas??

im using a 5th gen ipod, i have enabled network standby, and the receiver has completed one update.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2003 Old 01-06-2012, 10:08 AM

plugged in my girlfriends ipod touch and works fine. is it really not compatible with 5th gen??
post #453 of 2003 Old 01-06-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixerking View Post

i just got the 6006 home and hooked up last night. i havent had much time to play with it yet, but i did plug my ipod into the usb to test it out. problem i have with the ipod, is that it will play for a random length of time (less than a full song) and then playback will stop and the gui goes back to the song list. any thoughts/ideas??

im using a 5th gen ipod, i have enabled network standby, and the receiver has completed one update.

do you have current firmware on your ipod?

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #454 of 2003 Old 01-06-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

do you have current firmware on your ipod?

i synced it a few weeks ago, so not if something has come along since then. however i know my girlfriend hasnt synced hers in probably a year...
post #455 of 2003 Old 01-06-2012, 01:46 PM

after doing some surfing around, i guess crutchfield does some testing of their own. i found an ipod/iphone compatability chart here.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-qz3iskn...ml#details-tab

might be some other handy info for others there.

looks like 5th gen is support but i will need to wait untill i get home to verify what version my ipod is running
post #456 of 2003 Old 01-06-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixerking View Post

i synced it a few weeks ago, so not if something has come along since then. however i know my girlfriend hasnt synced hers in probably a year...

syncing doesn't force a firmware update... ensure your firmware is current and we can go from there...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #457 of 2003 Old 01-06-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

syncing doesn't force a firmware update... ensure your firmware is current and we can go from there...

interesting, i didnt know that. i download the newest version of itunes everytime one is available and thought that also updated the ipod when i sync as im always adding music and such. thanks, ill report back what i find this evening
post #458 of 2003 Old 01-07-2012, 12:25 PM

Liked: 10
loving the SR6006 so far - just an awesome amp in many aspects, and even got me to dump the Bellari pre-amp and go directly in to the phono inputs here.

my question:

any way to put the phono output out thru the headphone jack while throwing the TV output (via HDMI) to the TV and the TV sound to the speakers? i know it has multiple zones but i wasn't sure if i could use the headphone jack as its own zone? i may have to get a headphone amp if there's no way to do this, but i'd rather not if i don't have to...
post #459 of 2003 Old 01-07-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtmarantz View Post

Well, I was able to answer my own question. For others with the similar question, possibly before buying this receiver, it is possible to listen to music from one source and watch video from another. I am able to listen to CD through optical and watch video through component cable. The manual states that when choosing a different video source it cannot be hdmi. So, I have both hdmi and component cable from my satellite to the receiver. The HDMI for watching satellite and the component for video signal while listening to CD.

Can you do this without damaging either the receiver or the satelite? I want the HDMI for quality....but I want to be able to listen to XM Radio thru the Dish satelite on ZONE 2...This no HDMI in ZONE 2 is a pain!
post #460 of 2003 Old 01-07-2012, 06:55 PM

Hi all,

I am now running my SR6006 as a pre only - got some nice Emo amps.

I am considering putting it on a 7" shell in the audio rack, but that would leave only half an inch or so of free space above it - the manual recommends I think 30" or so...

However, I have noticed that while it still warms up a bit, it`s low heat, I can comfortably lay my hand on the top of it without any problems at all, even after having listened to hours of loud music.

So, I`d say that it'd be OK not to allow lots of space above it. However, I've checked the AV7005 manual (this works as a pre-amp only, no built in amplifier) and surprisingly it still recommends the 30" or so of ventilation, it`s weird, I`d expect the 7005 not to warm up at all.

What do you guys think ?

Thanks,

Mongo
post #461 of 2003 Old 01-07-2012, 07:00 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked: 1502
^^
If you can't allow at least 3" of clearance above the AVR, then relocate it as it will likely be just as warm ... the amps are still ON even with no load.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #462 of 2003 Old 01-08-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
If you can't allow at least 3" of clearance above the AVR, then relocate it as it will likely be just as warm ... the amps are still ON even with no load.

Thanks,

Mongao
post #463 of 2003 Old 01-08-2012, 10:31 AM

sorry for the delay.

after more checking and messing around, i have tried 3 different ipods.

i have:

60gb 5th gen
30gb 5th gen
32gb touch

the 60gb is the one i have issues with. both the 60 and the 30 have version 1.3...the 30 and the ipod touch both work as should with the 6006. i reset the 60 and it still does the same thing, although now it doesnt completely stop. it seems to lose its buffer effectively giving the impression of "skipping". it will start playing, then it starts losing the buffer and then it regains it creating the skip effect.

that being said, i have an alpine iva-w505 in my truck and iva-w205 in my car. all ipods work as they should in both vehicles. the head takes control like the 6006 should but with zero problems. the 60 works as it should by itself as well. i am now at the WTF dumbfounded stage.

any other ideas?
post #464 of 2003 Old 01-10-2012, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi Limber, I do not know if you have received answers but here goes:

6.1, 7.1 and bi-amp will work - these use the Surround Rear terminals and the Front B terminals.

I use A/B as follows:

A - Main room (running 5.1). Using Rotel pre-amp to drive A but off-course it can be driven by the AVR
B - Gym

Confirmed that B gets exactly the same signal as A. If set to stereo then you will get stereo on A and B. I often use multichannel stereo mode which gives same signal to A, B and surround speakers.

Nice thing about the 6006 is that you can save settings for every surround mode and input. For example usually I play the tuner on mutlich stereo but when I connect my Iphone with Airplay it switches to stereo and puts M-DAX on mild.

Downmix should not be a problem, I have tried it before from my Sony BD player, AVR just gets a PCML signal. In terms of your exact downmix requirement I can maybe not answer.

The Sr6006 is a fantastic receiver, it is extremely configurable. And if you do not want to used A/B there is always zone 2. For me A/B was simply the easiest. Anything else, just ask. I had a 6004 before which suffered the random reset 'sudden death' problem, no such issue with the 6006. You cannot go wrong and Marantz sound is beautiful, mine is paired with B&W's (684 fronts, Rotel pre-amp pushes 150W per fronts and center, surrounds driven by 6006)
post #465 of 2003 Old 01-11-2012, 05:10 AM

Just installed my SR6006 brand new from Best Buy last night. My Martin Logans are on the way, but I went ahead and hooked them up to my Klipsch Quintet and the sound was already more full and warmer than my RX-A700. I ran through an 8 seating Audyssey tuning and it was great. I have not even tweaked anything (do not think I will do much until I get my speakers in).

Has anyone successfully changed a song in Pandora using the browser configuration or the Marantz app? I am unsuccessful so far, but its only been 1 night.
post #466 of 2003 Old 01-11-2012, 12:16 PM

Thanks JSpy, that was extremely helpful.

Sadly my friend decided to hold off until he can afford to get a receiver + a dedicated amp (which I think is silly in his case), but I still appreciate the info. Hell, I'm seriously considering buying this Marantz receiver myself. My Arcam receiver is 10 years old and exhibiting all sorts of flaws with digital processing, plus I could definitely make use of the Speaker A/B function, so this is looking quite attractive.
post #467 of 2003 Old 01-11-2012, 02:48 PM

F'it, i think ill just use airplay and leave both ipods in the vehicles...
post #468 of 2003 Old 01-11-2012, 06:21 PM

So it's official that the Marantz SR5006 does not upscale 720p, 1080i HDMI digital content to 1080p??

The specs, brochures, and all the marketing material is false??
post #469 of 2003 Old 01-11-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzollinger View Post

So it's official that the Marantz SR5006 does not upscale 720p, 1080i HDMI digital content to 1080p??

The specs, brochures, and all the marketing material is false??

Are you sure? Can someone confirm because this is straight from their website:

"Additionally, the SR6006's on-board video processor/scaler upscales digital and analog video signals to 1080p resolution for the best possible image."

If it doesn't, major lawsuit!!

Anyway, I need some feedback on how I plan to setup my SR6006. I currently have my PS3 with HDMI into the TV and then optical out to my receiver. When I want to use the surround sound, I just turn the receiver on, set it to TV and mute the TV. Should I keep this setup or is there any advantage in running the HDMI from the PS3 into the receiver, set to pass-thru and then to the TV? I rather not have to turn on the receiver every time I want to use the PS3 so I figure passthru or use the optical setup if there isn't an advantage.

I also have a FIOS HD DVR. I was thinking of also having the HDMI go straight to the receiver, set on pass-thru also. If it's really true that it wont upscale HDMI to 1080p, I figure I can also connect component cables from the FIOS box to the receiver and have it upscale the analog video.

Again, any comments or suggestions much appreciated. Also, if anyone can suggest a decent set of speakers with sub in the $500 range, that would be great. I know, not getting much for that price but I blew the budget on the receiver, or should I wait more and get something better in the $750-1000 range.

Thanks!
post #470 of 2003 Old 01-12-2012, 04:33 AM
585-645-1006

^^
This thread discusses both the 5006 and the 6006 ... the post you quoted was referring to the 5006.

Re: PS3 - With your current configuration, you're not getting HD audio from Blu Rays so connect the PS3 via HDMI to the 6006.

Re: Fios - Try connecting HDMI directly to 6006, although Fios is known to have HDMI handshake issues with AVRs in general so you may have to go the component/optical route or HDMI to the TV with optical to the AVR.

"JD" –

post #471 of 2003 Old 01-12-2012, 09:56 AM

This thread discusses both the 5006 and the 6006 ... the post you quoted was referring to the 5006.

Sorry, my bad but good news for 6006 owners!

Re: PS3 - With your current configuration, you're not getting HD audio from Blu Rays so connect the PS3 via HDMI to the 6006.

I know, I didn't think so but my current receiver did not have HDMI so that's the best I could do.

Re: Fios - Try connecting HDMI directly to 6006, although Fios is known to have HDMI handshake issues with AVRs in general so you may have to go the component/optical route or HDMI to the TV with optical to the AVR.[/quote]

That's what I've heard, hopefully new updates on both ends fixed this but we'll see. Thanks for the feedback!!! This bad boy was just delivered so looking forward to playing with it later.
post #472 of 2003 Old 01-12-2012, 09:00 PM

SR6006 video settings

Anyone have any good video settings using FIOS HD DVR box? I just hooked up my receiver tonight and was fooling around a little with it but it looks better to me with the video just on pass-thru instead of having the receiver doing the scaling. Any suggestion?
post #473 of 2003 Old 01-13-2012, 01:27 PM

I'm new here, Great forum and reviews! I am seriously considering buying an SR6006. I like the feature set and it seems like it should more than meet my needs. I really like the retro-ish look, but have serious doubts regarding the functionality/convenience factor of the porthole. While I am looking forward to finally having an awesome theater setup for movies on the weekend, by day and mostly every day it will serve up music for general listening enjoyment (not so much fixed-position critical listening).

Is it possible to change radio stations (over-air or internet) from the unit itself, without the TV GUI on, or locating and fiddling with little buttons on the remote? While I dislike the garish and random appearing clutter of other receivers, am am a little concerned that I may not adapt well to the over-simplified SR6006

The other questions I have is if I have patio speakers set up as zone 2 and garage speakers set up as zone 3, can internet radio be played on zone 2 and/or 3 while a different source in played in the main zone?

And finally, regarding the 2nd HDMI out connection, is it's signal going to be the same as HDMI 1 or can it send a different signal out? ( i.e. Watching a Bluray movie in the main room while a lifetime movie is on a TV in the kitchen)

I visited my local BB Magnolia store the other day to take one for a test drive and try to learn these thing, but unfortunately the room was a cluster-%&@ mess! Only two of the receivers on display had left AND right channels connected, half of the receivers only had one or the other connected, and unfortunately, the SR6006 didn't have anything connected. The sales goofs were useless. They had no interest in making it work, and had no product knowledge other than if you listen to jazz, then the Pioneer is better, but if you more into pop or hip-hop then go with a Denon OK thanks (I think)
post #474 of 2003 Old 01-13-2012, 07:09 PM

I just connected mine last night and just got a few mins to fool around with it tonight. Buy it, you won't be disappointed!! From others reviews and from what I have heard so far, it is an amazing piece of equipment. The sound, and with cheap Sony speakers, is amazing and that was playing internet radio!! Can't wait to hear what Blu-Ray and HD radio sounds like.

As far as the porthole, I had originally eliminated the 6006 from consideration because of it but after fooling around with the Internet radio, it is not a problem. As a matter of fact, there is no way you can use the Internet radio and Pandora, etc. without the on-screen GUI. There is just to much info to scroll thru on a little display on the receiver. Same thing applies with Airplay for the ipod. You can listen to the radio without having to turn on the TV but will need the remote to go thru your presets.

Overall, after just fooling around with it for about an hour, I am impressed. Pair this with some decent speakers and will you will an amazing home theater.
post #475 of 2003 Old 01-13-2012, 11:51 PM

Has anyone connected a recent Mac using a mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter and then be able to select Dolby Pro Logic II or something equivalent?

If I leave it in "Auto" mode, dialog comes out of the left surround and I'm only able to select:

Auto
Stereo
Multi Ch In
Virtual

The receiver is reading it as a PCM source...

Any ideas?
post #476 of 2003 Old 01-14-2012, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imothep View Post

Hello!

I'm from Austria and bought a SR5006 this week. Together with my Elac FS 247 it sound pretty well, I'm quite happy with it.

But one problem appears:
I hooked up a Samsung LCD to it (HDMI 1.3), and everything works fine so far. I get a onscreen GUI (AMP menu) in every mode (BD, SAT, CD,...), but when switching to Net/USB, the TV says "mode not supported".
This way I have to navigate the musicfiles on my Qnap-Network storage with the help of the small built-in Amp-Display, which is not very comfortable.
I tried to switch to NTSC in the GUI-settings, but since the TV is an european model, I get the same message here as well.
I think that in the NET/USB mode the 5006 gives out a weird resolution which my TV does not support, although it's connected by HDMI. However there is no possibility in the settings to switch to any other resolution.
A receiver reset did not solve the problem.

Any suggestions?

I have excatly the same problem with my new SR5006 I bought it yesterday. My TV is a Samsung LE40F7. I'm from the Netherlands. Does anybody have a solution for this. @Imothep: Did you manage to solve this?
post #477 of 2003 Old 01-14-2012, 08:23 AM

On the Marantz SR5006 how do you or can you turn off the video feature? theres a Auto option and movie or game..I dont want the 5006 to do anything for my ST30...tHANKS
post #478 of 2003 Old 01-14-2012, 09:25 AM

Purchased a sr5005 from outlaw (patiently waiting for a processor). Hooked it up and it sounds good. Ran audissey and it called my speakers large and the sub is too hot (too much sub). Can I chane speaker settings and levels and keepkeep audissey engaged? The manual kind of indicates that isn't possible. Also I have something very strange happening. I have analog connections to the vcr input (wii) and it plays fine. I can change settings stereo pure direct etc.ihave a ps3 on game input btw. The strange thing is that I have a turntable hooked up to the cd analog input. This is coming from the turntable pre amp. Works perfect and sounds great. However, when I hit the pure direct mode or stereo or any of the bottom keys (multi eq etc) the unit shuts off. It does this on no other input and otherwise turntable works great. Strange.
post #479 of 2003 Old 01-14-2012, 09:29 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiller44 View Post

On the Marantz SR5006 how do you or can you turn off the video feature? theres a Auto option and movie or game..I dont want the 5006 to do anything for my ST30...tHANKS

The 5006 does no video upscaling, rather only analog-->HDMI conversion.

"JD" –

post #480 of 2003 Old 01-14-2012, 09:32 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm@silverlink.net View Post

Purchased a sr5005 from outlaw (patiently waiting for a processor). Hooked it up and it sounds good. Ran audissey and it called my speakers large and the sub is too hot (too much sub). Can I chane speaker settings and levels and keepkeep audissey engaged? The manual kind of indicates that isn't possible. Also I have something very strange happening. I have analog connections to the vcr input (wii) and it plays fine. I can change settings stereo pure direct etc.ihave a ps3 on game input btw. The strange thing is that I have a turntable hooked up to the cd analog input. This is coming from the turntable pre amp. Works perfect and sounds great. However, when I hit the pure direct mode or stereo or any of the bottom keys (multi eq etc) the unit shuts off. It does this on no other input and otherwise turntable works great. Strange.

This is the 5006/6006 thread ...

Set the sub gain knob/volume down a little and rerun Audyssey again so the sub trim is no longer maxed out at -12db. Also feel free to adjust the speaker trims or the sub trim via the remote after running AUTO SETUP.

"JD" –

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5006 Av Receiver , Marantz Sr6006 Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr5006 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page