Forum Jump: 

post #841 of 2003 Old 04-01-2012, 04:19 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 1482
^^
If you've tried two different routers, and have done the network reset I suggested a couple posts back, then it may indeed be a defective unit.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 2003 Old 04-01-2012, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does the 6006 require multicast for firmware upgrade? If so then you don't want to "filter multicast" as that would block it. This has nothing to do with ports.

This would also explain why they ask people to try without a switch as cheap switches may not handle multicast properly.
post #843 of 2003 Old 04-01-2012, 06:08 PM

Any experience with PQFan from hometheatercooling.com? Looking to purchase an SR6006, but since I'm putting it in a cabinet, from the discussions here I think I should pre-plan putting a fan in my cabinet.
post #844 of 2003 Old 04-01-2012, 11:39 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiyagari View Post

Any experience with PQFan from hometheatercooling.com? Looking to purchase an SR6006, but since I'm putting it in a cabinet, from the discussions here I think I should pre-plan putting a fan in my cabinet.

Much cheaper:
A 120 mm silent low rpm PC fan (less than $ 10,-), and a AC -> DC 12V adapter (lying around somewhere?) will do.
The fan should be in the (back)top of the cabinet, there should also be a passive air inlet, as low as possible.

A (kit) thermostat is a nice addition. Something like (just an example, I don't think this specific model is available in US):
http://www.quasarelectronics.com/vel...mostat-kit.htm

Works perfectly in my cabinet (closed by glass sliding doors, passive air inlet is secured by a 2 cm thingy in the sliding rail, preventing to close the sliding door completely).
post #845 of 2003 Old 04-03-2012, 06:18 AM

Hello everyone,

I have one query. I read somewhere that 6006 model is brighter than 6005. Is it true? So far i have realized that i prefer warmer setup than brighter one. Also will there be difference in sq of 5006 and 6006 and especially in term of warm setup.

I dont have anyplace nearby where i can take the demo for both so i rely on answer from this forum

Kind regards.
post #846 of 2003 Old 04-03-2012, 11:55 AM

My problems/concerns with the front panel display are completely gone. Once I've started using my TouchPad to control my receiver, I no longer have any issues with the display, or limitations with non-hdmi outputs when trying to use a second monitor. I no longer have any use, or desire, to use a secondary display with my projector. The web control meets all my needs! Anybody with a projector should have web control as a requirement for any receiver purchase.

As for the sound, WOW! It is definitely better than my old AVR-1909! The fact that I got $270 for that receiver makes this purchase all that much better. I have noticed "new" intricate sounds playing MW3 which I have not heard before. I am using the same speakers, and was just as critical of listening when using the older reciever. It was this lack of "resoultion" in my old receiver that had me looking for a new receiver. This receiver is much better suited for driving my power hungry Infinity Cascades.
post #847 of 2003 Old 04-03-2012, 04:13 PM
585-645-1006

^^
The upgrade to Audyssey MultEQ XT can indeed make a difference.

"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #848 of 2003 Old 04-04-2012, 05:19 PM

I added a Rocketfish hub and two receivers for my B-speakers tonight. Then I started airplay to test it. It was streaming fine for a minute and, for the first time since I purchased this AVR three weeks ago, the airplay logo disappeared from my Iphone. The AVR still gets the internet via wire with no difficulty. The Iphone is still on the same network as the AVR. I turned off the Rocketfish thinking it was interference and it didnt help.

There's just no Airplay icon on the phone or my wife's phone. Does anyone have an idea of what I can do to get it back?
post #849 of 2003 Old 04-04-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivingrain View Post

I added a Rocketfish hub and two receivers for my B-speakers tonight. Then I started airplay to test it. It was streaming fine for a minute and, for the first time since I purchased this AVR three weeks ago, the airplay logo disappeared from my Iphone. The AVR still gets the internet via wire with no difficulty. The Iphone is still on the same network as the AVR. I turned off the Rocketfish thinking it was interference and it didnt help.

There's just no Airplay icon on the phone or my wife's phone. Does anyone have an idea of what I can do to get it back?

I should also mention that Im able to use my Marantz Iphone app with no problem whatsoever. On that same phone, Itunes cant see the AVR.

Im stumped!
post #850 of 2003 Old 04-05-2012, 03:34 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Try the tips suggested here --> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...p?p=20422026#L

"JD" –

post #851 of 2003 Old 04-05-2012, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Try the tips suggested here --> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...p?p=20422026#L

thanks. Toggling DHCP from on to off and back to on again got it to work.

And with that set I now have a 7.1 system in the main room and two Rocketfish wireless speakers throughout the house as B's for continious listening as we move from room to room. I wish the Rocketfish was louder, but it works well for our needs and plays well with the Marantz AVR.
post #852 of 2003 Old 04-05-2012, 04:37 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Note the Front B speakers share the same amp as the Front A, so when you are using the A+B setting, you are effectively reducing the impedance on the 4 sets of speakers in 1/2 which will cause the volume level to decrease unless you increase the master volume.

"JD" –

post #853 of 2003 Old 04-06-2012, 07:20 AM

Liked: 12
Does anyone have two satellite receivers connected to a SR6006. I have looked through the forum and cannot find anything specific to this, is there any special that you have to do or do you just choose a seperate HDMI input
post #854 of 2003 Old 04-06-2012, 07:46 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Should be no different than hooking up two HDMI sources, each with it's own input.

"JD" –

post #855 of 2003 Old 04-06-2012, 08:11 AM

I was thinking about the remote that only has one button for the Sat, would it matter what input you used for the seconond Sat, say could you use the
input and button for TV?
post #856 of 2003 Old 04-06-2012, 08:18 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Yes, you can use any HDMI input and simply change the source name that better describes the source device.

"JD" –

post #857 of 2003 Old 04-06-2012, 08:40 AM

thank
post #858 of 2003 Old 04-06-2012, 05:06 PM

Good evening all. Long time computer and electronics guy that finally bought his first "really nice" audio system.

After getting a Samsung 60" 7050 display from Costco (just LOVE the picture quality!!!), I wanted to improve the audio for movies and gaming. Since I have the Samsung 3D Blu-Ray Player, a PS3, and a Xbox 360, I wanted a multiple input, 3D capable home theater receiver with GOOD audio quality.

I also wanted a quality 5.1 set that I could use for DD, DTS, the newer HD audio modes, etc. Yet simple enough to make Internet Sports Radio stations sound good.

After going back and forth between a Pioneer 1121, Onkyo systems, etc... I finally went with:

Marantz SR5006 Receiver

Boston Soundware XS 5.1 speakers and sub

16 gauge wire from Lowe's

Speaker wire "clips" from Lowe's

I cut the wire with my wire tool, leaving extra on all the cables. Then I stripped about a 1/4 to 1/2" back on each end, connected the wires, double-checking all the positives and negatives, locations, etc. Once it was all hooked up, I started up the receiver and began the setup utility.

(Originally, the sub had no sound. I forgot to plug it in before I began the setup utility, and the receiver didn't see it. Quit the utility, got the receiver to acknowledge it, and used a TV tray and the included mic to run the utility for the speakers.)

While I'm not certain about the frequencies to use in the Marantz setup menus, I seemed to have everything setup and working for a while. But 2 days ago I tried to get the ARC working, so when I watched videos stored on my HTPC, over the Smart Hub Video utility in the Samsung, the audio would play out the Marantz speakers.

But I noticed that things seemed off after that, and that with the audio not set to use Neo 6, DPL, or Multichannel audio surround modes, it was like some or all of the audio was muted or missing and the stereo didn't sound right.

I posted about this in the Home Theater PC forum a couple days ago, and didn't get much help.

Last night, I went to play my 360, and I noticed the audio was screwed up. Today I went in and set the audio from the 360 to be Dolby Digital. But despite setting the receiver to DD as well, the audio was still odd / broken. Started to get really concerned.

In an effort to pin down the problem, I went into the Marantz receiver and did a speaker test. And what I found was I'm not getting sound from the Front Left or Front Right speaker. The Center and Rears, as well as the Sub are fine. But something has my FL and FR all jacked up.

Double checked the wires to those small front speakers, and they seem to be connected fine. I've got my receiver set to Zone 2 config, so I briefly tried setting it to Normal (aka 7.1), and no diff. Set it back to Zone 2, no diff. Checked the wires were connected, and the positive and negatives weren't reversed, which they weren't, and no diff.

Any ideas what to try at this point? Want to love the Marantz here, but I'm SO confused and frustrated.
post #859 of 2003 Old 04-06-2012, 05:14 PM
585-645-1006

^^
You likely pressed the "A/B" button on the remote and shifted the front speakers to Front B. Press it again until "A" is displayed to get your FL/FR audio back. Also note that using a TV tray isn't ideal to hold the mic, rather you would be much better served picking up a mic tripod or boom stand.

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Concep...=5336055023-20

http://www.amazon.com/Musicians-Gear...=5336055023-20

Review the Audyssey FAQ/Setup Guide linked in my sig for more helpful information.

"JD" –

post #860 of 2003 Old 04-06-2012, 05:54 PM

Appreciate it. I don't know if that was ALL of the problem, but it very well may have been part of it.

After turning on ARC, I had turned it off in the Blu-Ray player so when I turned THAT off it wouldn't turn off the TV, etc. But I don't think I turned it off on the AMP. Not sure that should have been a problem, but it was only AFTER making sure the A speakers were on, THEN going in and disabling sound from the AMP by switching to TV, turning off Control on the AMP, then putting sounds back to the AMP from HDMI, that all 5 speakers finally came back on.

When I'm watching a movie or playing games through the 360, the surround button never takes me to DD. I finally realized Direct or Pure Direct "seem" to do this for me. Is that correct? I read that Pure Direct disables any unused circuity for the cleanest possible sound. Does that mean I want to use Pure Direct most of the time?

Haven't tried streaming anything from my HTPC server yet, but that will be next after a couple more trailers on the 360.
post #861 of 2003 Old 04-06-2012, 06:07 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Actually no ... you will likely never want to use either DIRECT or PURE DIRECT as doing so disables Audyssey. Rather if you want to see DD or DTS, you'll need to set the source device to "bitstream" with Secondary Audio set to OFF. Although doing so won't change the audio quality (ie. having the AVR decode the audio rather than the BDP).

"JD" –

post #862 of 2003 Old 04-07-2012, 11:19 AM

I have a major problem trying to connect my damn WII thru my Marantz.

it's the default connection, should be straight forward but i'm really getting frustrated. Everything else works (HDMI switching) but it won't take the component (WII) thru the HDMI ????????

I have it in the component 1 slot (BD) but when i switch to BD i get audio and NO video. it's' just black.

i'm so frustrated... any idea WTF is going on here? Again, it should be very simple and that is why i'm getting so pissed off.

Any help would be appreciated!

thanks guys

Jim
post #863 of 2003 Old 04-07-2012, 11:38 AM
585-645-1006

^^
HDMI 1 also defaults to "BD" so try setting that to NONE or if using it, then assign the COMP1 input to another source name other than BD (although also plug the analog audio cables into the same source name used).

"JD" –

post #864 of 2003 Old 04-07-2012, 04:50 PM

Is there some special settings to use to play video through the WDTV player. I get the menu but i cannot get any of the audio or video to play
post #865 of 2003 Old 04-07-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:

thanks. Toggling DHCP from on to off and back to on again got it to work.

And with that set I now have a 7.1 system in the main room and two Rocketfish wireless speakers throughout the house as B's for continious listening as we move from room to room. I wish the Rocketfish was louder, but it works well for our needs and plays well with the Marantz AVR.

It was likely that your AVR was assigning itself the IP rather than getting a dynamic IP from the router. This can happen when you power on the AVR before plugging an ethernet cable to it, thus the device will self assign. A self assigned IP usually starts with 268.

Glad toggling the HDCP worked. Good to know.
post #866 of 2003 Old 04-07-2012, 05:24 PM

Hello everyone,
I have lurked on avsforum for a long time and have usually been able to find answers using the search tool, but no such luck this time

I just got my Marantz 5006 a few days ago and so far so good. I it connected to a Pioneer Elite 940HD.
I encountered no issues when connecting my Tivo or Xbox via HDMI to the receiver. Picture is great and so is sound. But when I connect my htpc to the TV through the receiver, I see horrible flickering. If I connect the htpc directly to my TV, the picture is crystal clear.
I am not sure if this is a (nvidia) driver issue [not likely as connecting directly to the TV the picture clarity is good] or TV issue or a receiver issue.

I was hoping someone here would have some suggestions for me to try...

Thanks

PS it almost seems like the refresh rate is wrong...
post #867 of 2003 Old 04-07-2012, 06:07 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Try the tips suggested here --> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...?p=20422026#L7

"JD" –

post #868 of 2003 Old 04-07-2012, 06:31 PM

Will try and let you know.

Thanks for the link.
post #869 of 2003 Old 04-07-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
HDMI 1 also defaults to "BD" so try setting that to NONE or if using it, then assign the COMP1 input to another source name other than BD (although also plug the analog audio cables into the same source name used).

JDsmoothie, thanks for your suggestion!

I tried that and still no luck. I even switched the WII (comp cables and analog sound) to the DVD spot (comp2) and I get the same thing. audio and no video.

All i can think of is that the comp signal can't travel to my tv over the HDMI for some reason. I don't see anywhere on this receiver where you can up or down scale that might be causing this problem.

any other ideas? I'm sure others have WIIs connected.

thanks guys!

Jim
post #870 of 2003 Old 04-08-2012, 11:04 PM

On the fan question -- I noticed the 12v DC trigger from the 6006 is supposed to be 150 mA. Has anyone run a 12v case fan off this output? I am thinking of using the following fan:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835553002

Supposedly it is very quiet -- I am now trying to figure out how I will power it.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5006 Av Receiver , Marantz Sr6006 Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr5006 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page