Marantz SR5006 / Marantz SR6006 Receiver Thread - Page 32 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #931 of 2016 Old 04-22-2012, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi jdsmoothie.

I had tried that previously and it did work. Is there a permanent solution to this this issue, or we have to wait for a firmware update ?
( or live with it . This make playing media like i.radio/ipod almost useless. I don't think it is related to cooling, as my avr is not in a enclosed environment.

Thanks for your prompt reply, very much appreciated.

Ramesh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 2016 Old 04-23-2012, 06:07 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked: 1524
^^
Hopefully D&M will come up with a firmware update as the issue exists on some Denon units as well. At the very least call Marantz to report the issue.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #933 of 2016 Old 04-23-2012, 07:26 AM

Liked: 11
So I'm very seriously considering getting a 5006 relatively soon. I've been thinking about upgrading for years but I think it's finally starting to get to be time. Currently I have an SR7200 that I love, but that's starting to have minor issues (mostly around some of the physical buttons on the front of the unit which don't always quite do what they're supposed to do... Things work well on the remote and the sound and whatnot are still great), and of course it's never even heard of HDMI. I've been able to get by so far with component video, optical and digital coax connections and, and a few inconvenient kludges (like using a universal cord for my XBox and Wii, and just plugging and unplugging the cord on the back of each one whenever I want to switch. Not ideal but it works ok).

Anyway, I've got a few questions about the 5006 that I haven't quite found the answers to by looking around.

The first is in how things get hooked up.

Here's what I currently have hooked up to it:

-Toshiba Regza 40XV645U (connected via component video)
-Onkyo Universal DVD Player with both a digital coax connection and 5.1 analog connections for when I want to play SACD's or DVD-Audio (this is likely to get replaced when I upgrade)
-Tivo HD hooked up via optical connection for sound and component video connected directly to the TV (since the receiver only has two component inputs and I found some oddities when I had the video going to the TV via HDMI and the sound going to the receiver via optical)
-XBox 360 (a fairly old one) via the above mentioned universal component cable, and optical sound
-Wii (via that same universal cable and analog RCA L/R for sound)
-iMac connected just for sound via an optical cable and an adaptore that lets it connected to one of the digital coax connections.

A few of these things will change if/when I upgrade:

-I'm hoping to replace the Onkyo DVD player with a Blu-ray player (specifically the Marantz UD 5005 which I've been able to find for a really good price which is lower than any other universal blu-ray player I've been able to find, even the Oppo's which have sadly gone up in price since the last time I looked at their line several years ago), This will of course be connected via HDMI
-TivoHD - also connected via HDMI
-I'll also be switching out the connection to the TV with an HDMI connection
-Hopefully I can have the Xbox and Wii connected separately via component (and optical and RCA connections respectively)
-The iMac will likely remain connected in roughly the same way (though probably without the adapter as i think I should have a free optical connection at this point).

My question mostly concerns the Xbox and Wii. Can I reassign the component inputs away from whatever they default to? I know I can rename inputs, but I wasn't totally clear on whether I can disassociate the component inputs from what they default to. So for example assuming I want to connect the actual Blu Ray player via HDMI to the BD input, can I reassign the BD analog input to "game" or "vcr"? I assume I can reassign the optical connections and such easily enough.

Now this brings me to the second question I've heard some people report some issues with Harmony Remotes (I've got a Harmony 1) and some of the inputs since the included remote doesn't have individual buttons for some of the inputs (I think game is one of them?). Some mentioned early on just using the 6005 as the profile for the remote? Is that still necessary? I seem to recall someone saying that Marantz had made the codes for the discreet inputs available but I'm not sure if that's translated into an easy way to set up a Harmony Remote with this receiver.

Finally, other than a few extra watts, a video upscaler, an extra HDMI input on the front and an extra HDMI output, is there anything else that I'd get by upgrading to the 6006? right now the extra $200 for the upgrade doesn't seem terribly worth it for me, but maybe I'm missing something? Maybe one of those features is better than I had realized?
post #934 of 2016 Old 04-23-2012, 08:52 PM

Update: The issue turned out to be with the HDMI cables as I suspected. Once I changed to High-speed cables from source to AVR and from AVR to display, it began working fine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bee View Post

Hi, got my SR5006 a couple of days back. Coming from Yammy RXV463.

Today I was trying to set it up to play with my DVD player. The setup wizard went fine but when I tried to play a DVD I get no output I tried resetting the microprocessor and going through the steps all over again but no luck.

I am trying to connect my DVD (Pio 220) to the AVR using high speed HDMI and the AVR is connected to the TV (LG 50PQ30 plasma) using standard HDMI. Could that be the issue?

post #935 of 2016 Old 04-24-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Hopefully D&M will come up with a firmware update as the issue exists on some Denon units as well. At the very least call Marantz to report the issue.

Turned out that HDMI control was interfering with the GUI display. I turned off HDMI control both at the AVR and monitor. Now the i.radio GUI comes up.
post #936 of 2016 Old 04-24-2012, 12:32 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Yes, that has been shown to work as well, with work arounds available if you still need any of the HDMI Control features lost by disabling it.

"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

post #937 of 2016 Old 04-24-2012, 12:34 PM

What exactly is HDMI control?
post #938 of 2016 Old 04-24-2012, 01:18 PM
585-645-1006

^^
"HDMI Control" is the HDMI-CEC feature on the Marantz similar to HDMI-CEC on the TV (eg. Samsung -Anynet+, Panasonic - VieraLink, Sony - BraviaSync, etc.). It links the HDMI components together to turn them all OFF (sometimes ON) as well as is required to use the HDMI Standby passthrough feature to pass an HDMI video/audio through the AVR when it's in Standby mode.

"JD" –

post #939 of 2016 Old 04-24-2012, 01:21 PM

I see. Interesting. (And I would have had to ask the same question about HDMI CEC had you not explained it a bit further! I have very little experience with HDMI so far, since my current receiver doesn't do HDMI)
post #940 of 2016 Old 04-24-2012, 05:21 PM

I have a Samsung 8000c plasma and I turned off the hdmi control. It would turn off the avr when I turned the tv off but it does not turn on the unit as advertised.

When ever I would turn on the tv it would automatically go to the ARC channel. Big inconvenience I assumed it was the hdmi control because it stopped when I turned it off
post #941 of 2016 Old 04-24-2012, 07:03 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Correct, which is why I indicated that HDMI Control is designed to turn the devices in the chain OFF, but may not work to turn them back ON again. Also when HDMI-CEC is set to ON on the TV and the AVR, it forces the AVR to change to the "TV" source. The work around if you want to pass the TV's smart apps audio to the AVR, in addition to setting HDMI-CEC to OFF, is to plug an optical cable from the TV to the AVR without any loss in audio quality.

"JD" –

post #942 of 2016 Old 04-24-2012, 09:42 PM

I'm sure this is something ridiculously easy, but I can't figure it out.

I'm sending Airplay to the 5006 and then piping the Zone 2 outputs to a set of amps for other rooms. I can't find a way to control the Zone 2 output volume on the line outs?

Any suggestions?
post #943 of 2016 Old 04-25-2012, 04:54 AM
585-645-1006

^^
No, not silly at all, rather it can't be done. As noted on p. 80 in your Owner's manual, the 5006 only offers a "fixed" volume on Zone 2 so you must control the volume on the external amp itself. You would have to upgrade to the 6006 to be able to adjust the Zone 2 volume using the 6006 remote.

"JD" –

post #944 of 2016 Old 04-25-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:

^^
No, not silly at all, rather it can't be done. As noted on p. 80 in your Owner's manual, the 5006 only offers a "fixed" volume on Zone 2 so you must control the volume on the external amp itself. You would have to upgrade to the 6006 to be able to adjust the Zone 2 volume using the 6006 remote.

Thanks for the timely info... as now I will return the 5006.

I wish I'd discovered that model difference somewhere prior to purchase... *sighs*

EDIT: I've just looked through the manual (p80-81) and can't seem to find the line you're describing? The closest I've found is:

p81 - 'For “(2) ZONE2 playback by audio output”, adjust the volume on the connected amplifier.'

That's completely hidden and directly follows a description of how to adjust the volume for Zone 2...

So... does the 6006 do volume adjustments on the Zone 2/3 line outs?
post #945 of 2016 Old 04-25-2012, 08:21 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Yes. That note in the 5006 manual (p. 81) applies when using an external amp while the volume adjustment above it applies when using the powered Surr Back speaker posts. Whereas in the 6006 manual (p. 85), you'll notice there is mention of the external amp as the volume adjustment is made on the 6006 regardless of whether using the powered speaker posts or the preouts to an external amp.

"JD" –

post #946 of 2016 Old 04-25-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:

^^
Yes. That note in the 5006 manual (p. 81) applies when using an external amp while the volume adjustment above it applies when using the powered Surr Back speaker posts. Whereas in the 6006 manual (p. 85), you'll notice there is mention of the external amp as the volume adjustment is made on the 6006 regardless of whether using the powered speaker posts or the preouts to an external amp.

Thanks!

I'll definitely test this out at the store before I decide to pick up the 6006... /sighs/

D
post #947 of 2016 Old 04-27-2012, 09:25 AM

New firmware.

Last time I had to send mine back.

Instructions were to bypass the switch in the living room, and plug straight into the router and open these ports: 3813,443,80,8080,5020

Only issue i have is once in a while I get the jumpy jittery screen from my HTPC and have to turn the 6006 off and on, that's about it.

I guess no changelog. I may just leave well enough alone.
post #948 of 2016 Old 04-27-2012, 10:25 AM

Hi all,

I am sorry if this has been asked before, but I have a very simple question;

I am considering hooking my laptop to my TV, but using any of the SR6006 inputs and the secondary HDMI output hooked to the TV.

Will I be able to use the laptop without having to turn on the SR6006 ?

Will the signal pass-through automatically ? And what if I have other sources turned on and hooked to the inputs simultaneously, which one would the SR6006 output through its 2 outputs ?

Thanks a lot,

Mongao
post #949 of 2016 Old 04-27-2012, 11:39 AM
585-645-1006

^^
As long as the HTPC can pass video to the TV while the AVR is ON (as not all can successfully), then you would be able to use the HDMI Standby passthrough feature to pass the HTPC audio/video to the TV. Which Monitor output the video would pass through depends on whether you have the Monitor Output setting set to "DUAL", "Monitor 1", or "Monitor 2."

"JD" –

post #950 of 2016 Old 04-27-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:

^^
As long as the HTPC can pass video to the TV while the AVR is ON (as not all can successfully), then you would be able to use the HDMI Standby passthrough feature to pass the HTPC audio/video to the TV. Which Monitor output the video would pass through depends on whether you have the Monitor Output setting set to "DUAL", "Monitor 1", or "Monitor 2."

Thanks, but would you please develop further ? What is a HTPC ?

I would like the SR6006 to be OFF and even though pass the incoming HDMI signal to the HDMI2 output.

Thanks,

Mongao
post #951 of 2016 Old 04-27-2012, 04:19 PM
585-645-1006

^^
HTPC (home theater PC) = laptop

"JD" –

post #952 of 2016 Old 04-27-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:

^^
HTPC (home theater PC) = laptop

Thanks, but no, this has nothing to do with what I want.

I simply want to hook the HDMI cable to the laptop, and it will output whatever the computer is showing on its screen, say web browser, e-mail, videos, whatever, I won't use the laptop as a home theater.

I want to hook this HDMI cable to the Marantz, and have it pass it through to the output 2 even without me having to go downstairs to turn it ON.

Please, does anyone know if this is possible ?

Thanks,

Mongao
post #953 of 2016 Old 04-27-2012, 11:02 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Let's try it this way ....

As long as the "laptop" can pass video to the TV while the AVR is ON (as not all can successfully), then you would be able to use the HDMI Standby passthrough feature to pass the "laptop" audio/video to the TV. Which Monitor output the video would pass the "laptop" video through depends on whether you have the AVR's Monitor Output setting set to "DUAL", "Monitor 1", or "Monitor 2."

"JD" –

post #954 of 2016 Old 04-28-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:

^^
Let's try it this way ....

As long as the "laptop" can pass video to the TV while the AVR is ON (as not all can successfully), then you would be able to use the HDMI Standby passthrough feature to pass the "laptop" audio/video to the TV. Which Monitor output the video would pass the "laptop" video through depends on whether you have the AVR's Monitor Output setting set to "DUAL", "Monitor 1", or "Monitor 2."

Ah yes, thank you, now it's clear !

Thanks,

Mongao
post #955 of 2016 Old 04-29-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:

^^
Actually no ... you will likely never want to use either DIRECT or PURE DIRECT as doing so disables Audyssey. Rather if you want to see DD or DTS, you'll need to set the source device to "bitstream" with Secondary Audio set to OFF. Although doing so won't change the audio quality (ie. having the AVR decode the audio rather than the BDP).

God, thank you sir! I thought things had changed even more in the audio world than I remember from say, 10 years ago. But fortunately this was EXACTLY what I needed to know. Blu-Ray player is set to Bitstream (no downsampling) on my Samsung 3D unit, and now I'm seeing the correct sound modes in my surround settings.

Understood it doesn't change the sound quality, but having the surround mode incorrect on the receiver previously, and not being able to tell which mode should be used was SUCH a pain. Now I can see I'm using the correct mode.

Thank you so much!!!
post #956 of 2016 Old 04-29-2012, 03:27 PM

Well I went ahead and pulled the trigger today. Ordered the 5006 and a refurb Marantz ud-5005 player to go with it. I'd have loved to have gone for an oppo but they really don't have any of their lower priced models available anymore. Anyway I'm really looking forward to the new gear! I'm reading through the audessy FAQ and planning to acquire a tripod this week. Any other tips or common mistakes I should know about? Very excited !
post #957 of 2016 Old 04-29-2012, 11:14 PM

I need to get a mic stand as well. I've done the Audyssey a few times; all with the mic sitting on the back of the couch. I know the FAQ says to NEVER do that but, I was wondering why it's THAT BAD?
post #958 of 2016 Old 04-30-2012, 03:48 AM
585-645-1006

^^
The mic will pick up aberrant frequency reflections off the couch which will cause an incorrect application of the Audyssey filters.

"JD" –

post #959 of 2016 Old 05-02-2012, 01:18 PM

Here another proud sr5006 owner.
I recently bought this receiver and overall i'm very satisfied.
However, I connected my cable decoder over component video and most of the time it does not work.
I hoped this would be fixed with a firmware update.
I only had a direct internet connection through my ubee cable modem, so I connected the sr5006 directly to the internet. It then displays a message about new firmware and asks to install it. When clicking yes it says installation will take about 10 mins. Then I click yes again, it says authenticating for a few minutes, then says connection failed.
Since I wanted a router anyway, I called my cable provider and ordered a new modem with integrated router. I connected the marantz through this new modem and it's the same story over.
It is not my internet connection, I have 50/5 mbit connection and marantz.com pings 12ms, I also disabled the routers firewall.
I went to the marantz website in the firmware section to see if it would be possible to install the update manually, instead I only find a changelog.
This changelog has, among others, the following line:

"The firmware update is impossible via DPMS. And the error message of "Connection Fail 25" is displayed."

This is not the exact same message I get (Connection failed) but maybe it has something to do with my error.

I hope you guys are able to help me.
post #960 of 2016 Old 05-02-2012, 04:39 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Try unplugging the AVR for about 10 minutes and give it a go again.

"JD" –

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5006 Av Receiver , Marantz Sr6006 Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr5006 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page