Marantz SR5006 / Marantz SR6006 Receiver Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #151 of 2033 Old 09-12-2011, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
^Thanks for this I figured out how to get everything to work except Zone 2/3 as well as AirPlay.

I didn't mind the Zone thing but no control for AirPlay was driving me nuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 2033 Old 09-21-2011, 05:56 AM

Hi Guys and girls!

Just bought my receiver last week and so far pretty pleased with it but have some issues I wanted to discuss with you.

My wizzapp on iPhone 4 and iPad have worked once or twice but most of the time I get the message I should check the device and only option is the exit button. I received the receiver on a certain firmware but not sure which one and I think I installed the wizzapp after the upgrade of the device. Now I should have the last one because after a check their is no newer firmware available.
I switched on Network standby to be able to switch it on with wizzapp or start Airplay when off. The Airplay function is working but control isn't...

Is it possible to have a HDMI input on the monitors while another input (like optical) is playing the audio? So not a preset on/with input assigns but more like passthrough of HDMI when the device is off.

What I also was expecting is to be able to choose different outputs on the 2 monitors. So for example you can play xbox on the on monitor and have your PVR on the other.

Any ideas or comments after some experience with the SR6006?

Thanks!!
post #153 of 2033 Old 09-21-2011, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMikeS2000 View Post

Hi Guys and girls!

Just bought my receiver last week and so far pretty pleased with it but have some issues I wanted to discuss with you.

My wizzapp on iPhone 4 and iPad have worked once or twice but most of the time I get the message I should check the device and only option is the exit button. I received the receiver on a certain firmware but not sure which one and I think I installed the wizzapp after the upgrade of the device. Now I should have the last one because after a check their is no newer firmware available.
I switched on Network standby to be able to switch it on with wizzapp or start Airplay when off. The Airplay function is working but control isn't...

Is it possible to have a HDMI input on the monitors while another input (like optical) is playing the audio? So not a preset on/with input assigns but more like passthrough of HDMI when the device is off.

What I also was expecting is to be able to choose different outputs on the 2 monitors. So for example you can play xbox on the on monitor and have your PVR on the other.

Any ideas or comments after some experience with the SR6006?

Thanks!!

I have also just purchased the 6006 an a couple of things I've noticed pertain to your questions.

One, I found the wizzapp to work nicely now that I have set the network standby to on, like you have. I do notice a delay when reconnecting right after I disconnect.

Two, I'm new to the piece and I've done most of my learning via picking around AVS and the web interface. I set my 6006 with a reserved ip address outside the range of DHCP and set the DHCP in the web interface to OFF. I haven't a lack of connection since then. The web interface is also where I noticed that you can assign a video and audio source but you may not have many choices when using HDMI as the video. I haven't looked that far into it yet.

Three, the dual outs of HDMI can share the same source. It can't send two different sources out the two HDMI's.
post #154 of 2033 Old 09-21-2011, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Does anyone know if on the SR5006 the Audyssey MultEQ XT can have a different setting based on Speakers A/B, or alternatively, based on input?

In other words, can you have one room correction setting for the 7.1 set up in the TV room, and another room correction setting for the stereo set up in another room (which needs to use Speakers B, because of the inability of Zone 2 to take digital audio input).
post #155 of 2033 Old 09-21-2011, 05:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
^^^

no you cannot...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #156 of 2033 Old 09-22-2011, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekkoville View Post

I have also just purchased the 6006 an a couple of things I've noticed pertain to your questions.

One, I found the wizzapp to work nicely now that I have set the network standby to on, like you have. I do notice a delay when reconnecting right after I disconnect.

Two, I'm new to the piece and I've done most of my learning via picking around AVS and the web interface. I set my 6006 with a reserved ip address outside the range of DHCP and set the DHCP in the web interface to OFF. I haven't a lack of connection since then. The web interface is also where I noticed that you can assign a video and audio source but you may not have many choices when using HDMI as the video. I haven't looked that far into it yet.

Three, the dual outs of HDMI can share the same source. It can't send two different sources out the two HDMI's.

Hi Ekkoville,

Thanks for the response. So you are using the "Maintenance mode" feature I suppose? Haven't logged in through web interface but certainly gonna check that tonight.

What should I do to fix the wizzapp? Just reading in the manual that you can hold the Standby button on the front for 5 secs (or unplug the power cord) if the update fails. This sounds like a computer feature to switch the whole thing off like unplugging the power. Thats a lot more convenient than unplugging if you want to "soft reset" the device with this kind of behavior... Is this correct?
Can you switch the device ON with the wizzapp after setting network standby to ON?

Yeah I found the assign feature in the OSD also and tried it already, but it defaults back to the audio on selected HDMI in my case. Don't no if it's really default yet. Experience anyone?

To bad the monitors can't work separate.
post #157 of 2033 Old 09-22-2011, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

no you cannot...

Thanks.

So, am I right to assume then that if one switches to Speakers B, after calibrating using Speakers A (going from 7.1 to stereo mode), Audyssey's room calibration is automatically turned off and it does not interfere with the sound of Speakers B?
post #158 of 2033 Old 09-22-2011, 01:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

i dunno... it depends on they implemented "speaker b"... in the past, by definition, speaker b got what speaker a gets... i'd "guess" that speaker b gets the "corrected" audio, as otherwise, 2 separate paths would be required for "a+b".... but that's a guess, i've never set up speaker b on a "modern avr"...

try it?

to get an uncorrected (for sure) signal, you could use zone 2, but that has it's own limitations to deal with...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #159 of 2033 Old 09-22-2011, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... i've never set up speaker b on a "modern avr"....

LOL.

Yep, I don't know why so few of them have A/B Speaker selectors lately.... Particularly since there is virtually no receivers which pass audio from HDMI, or digital inputs generally, to Zone 2.

The availability of A/B Speaker selector was the main reason why I decided to get the 5006.

I got tired of waiting for a Class D replacement for my old Panasonic SA-XR57, which I frankly love.

I had sworn that I would not go back to Class AB, but the Class D Pioneers are giant, and I can't find anything else with decent room correction AND Class D amps.

So I just ordered the 5006, in a moment of weakness. We'll see if the Audyssey makes much (positive) difference -- my subs already have room correction, but I figured I'd try something else.

Bummer about the lack of A/B memory for the room correction, which you confirmed, but I guess I'll know more in a few days.

Thanks, anyway.
post #160 of 2033 Old 09-23-2011, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMikeS2000 View Post

Hi Ekkoville,

Thanks for the response. So you are using the "Maintenance mode" feature I suppose? Haven't logged in through web interface but certainly gonna check that tonight.

What should I do to fix the wizzapp? Just reading in the manual that you can hold the Standby button on the front for 5 secs (or unplug the power cord) if the update fails. This sounds like a computer feature to switch the whole thing off like unplugging the power. Thats a lot more convenient than unplugging if you want to "soft reset" the device with this kind of behavior... Is this correct?
Can you switch the device ON with the wizzapp after setting network standby to ON?

Yeah I found the assign feature in the OSD also and tried it already, but it defaults back to the audio on selected HDMI in my case. Don't no if it's really default yet. Experience anyone?

To bad the monitors can't work separate.

Any luck with the Wiz App? It's been pretty steady so far, only once where te connection timed out. Once it is connected I have found that it stays connected and works well, including power to both zones.

I'm not sure what maintenance mode is. I haven't the most time yet getting this set up properly. I just returned an Onkyo NR809 after it bricked itself during a firmware update. Come to find out, while doing the Audessy setup with 6006, I found that the Onkyo must have sent a surge through the speakers and I have three toasted inwall Klipsch's. So, I'm waiting replacement in order finally use it aside from zone 2.

This new way of giving documentation is really inconvenient also. I want to sit and read the manual but it's in PDF, which works great for the iPad. Sometimes I just want a hard copy and 159 pages seemed a bit excessive to print out.
post #161 of 2033 Old 09-23-2011, 04:34 PM

Question for SR5006/6006 Owners:
Does SR5006/SR6006 allow Standby pass-through of HDMI Signal i.e. does it allow pass through of HDMI signal when the receiver is turned off?
post #162 of 2033 Old 09-23-2011, 04:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

@ryan...

... yea, i know... and the ones that do, don't allow you to control them remotely... pita...

those digital pannys were sweet units, i don't blame you for not wanting to give it up... i'd like to see someone make a total no-frills avr based around class d amplification...

post back with your impressions...

- chris

post #163 of 2033 Old 09-24-2011, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAUJLA View Post

Question for SR5006/6006 Owners:
Does SR5006/SR6006 allow Standby pass-through of HDMI Signal i.e. does it allow pass through of HDMI signal when the receiver is turned off?

Yes they do allow HDMI Passthru. The HDMI input that was selected when the Receiver waslaced in Standby will be passed thru. Network Standby must be on for Passthru to work

I haven't tested this, but turning on an input device, BD Player et al, that supports HDMI Control with HDMI Control turned on on the Receiver might switch inputs when the Receiver is in Standby.

Bob Holmes
Curmudgeon
post #164 of 2033 Old 09-24-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDHolmes View Post

Yes they do allow HDMI Passthru. The HDMI input that was selected when the Receiver waslaced in Standby will be passed thru. Network Standby must be on for Passthru to work

I haven't tested this, but turning on an input device, BD Player et al, that supports HDMI Control with HDMI Control turned on on the Receiver might switch inputs when the Receiver is in Standby.

Thankyou. Now I have to find a place where I can buy SR6006 on a decent price.
post #165 of 2033 Old 09-25-2011, 04:46 AM

How is the Audyssey on the SR6006 compared to SR5006?

I'm split between the two models, and don't know if would be "overkill" to buy the SR6006.
The setup I've using is
4 x B&W DM601 S3, a B&W LCR3 center and a B&W ASW610 subwoofer.

- Martin
post #166 of 2033 Old 09-25-2011, 05:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

iirc, they both have xt, so they would be equivalent...

the 6006 is "pro ready", which means you could choose to then purchase the pro kit and a license to further calibrate...

- chris

post #167 of 2033 Old 09-25-2011, 06:11 AM

Quote:

^^^

iirc, they both have xt, so they would be equivalent...

the 6006 is "pro ready", which means you could choose to then purchase the pro kit and a license to further calibrate...

Ohh, so if I don't buy the prokit there won't be any differences between the two?
post #168 of 2033 Old 09-25-2011, 06:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

nope... xt is xt, regardless of what unit it is implemented in...

- chris

post #169 of 2033 Old 09-25-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:

^^^

nope... xt is xt, regardless of what unit it is implemented in...

Cool, what about the sound. Is the only difference between the two, the features or are there any differences in the sound it delivers?
post #170 of 2033 Old 09-25-2011, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roflerne View Post

Cool, what about the sound. Is the only difference between the two, the features or are there any differences in the sound it delivers?

The only way there will a difference in sound quality between two modern amps is if there is something wrong with one (or both) of them.

Your $400 amp will most likely sound just as good as your $10000 amp, in blind testing.

Room correction does matter (it changes the sound parameters, either for better or worse). So do your speakers.

All things being equal, invest your money in the best speakers you can get and worry the least about your amp (or your speaker cables, or power cords).
post #171 of 2033 Old 09-25-2011, 04:11 PM

Or just buy a amp and a pre/pro
post #172 of 2033 Old 09-25-2011, 04:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

which is highly unlikely to make any difference....

that's good advice ryan...

- chris

post #173 of 2033 Old 09-25-2011, 06:42 PM

Yep a $400 receiver should make all the difference ???
post #174 of 2033 Old 09-25-2011, 06:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

note the 3rd paragraph in ryan's response...

- chris

post #175 of 2033 Old 09-25-2011, 07:05 PM

Note a marantz sr -5006 you can't buy for $400 save money buy a amp and pre/pro will be much happier and amps don't lose value like a receiver wish I knew that before I purchased a marantz sr-6006 cool
post #176 of 2033 Old 09-25-2011, 07:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

a pre-pro with equivalent features will cost MORE than an avr...

and if you don't thinks amps depreciate, i have a bryston i'd like to sell you...

- chris

post #177 of 2033 Old 09-25-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:

^^^

a pre-pro with equivalent features will cost MORE than an avr...

and if you don't thinks amps depreciate, i have a bryston i'd like to sell you...

Then save up to buy a amp because you will want one when you get those kick ass speakers but wait the sr-5006 can't why ccotenj tell us why ...!!!!!
post #178 of 2033 Old 09-25-2011, 07:28 PM

You pick your receiver and I will pick a amp and I'n 3 years see who gets closer to retail price for item . Do you wish to wager on that ?
post #179 of 2033 Old 09-25-2011, 07:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

no... it's pointless...

although i will admit i'm wondering when you are going to figure out that pre-pros depreciate as quickly as avr's, and have a higher initial cost...

btw, the bryston i'd like to sell you is in the classifieds... y'see, i already have an amplifier... as well as have owned (and sold) equipment that you only dream of...

keep digging the hole...

- chris

post #180 of 2033 Old 09-25-2011, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by roflerne View Post

The sound that is delivered by an AVR is dependent on a number of factors.

The Speakers, particularly the Left, Center and Right, are the ultimate limiting factor on sound quality.

Next the Amplifier driving the speakers needs sufficient power and head room for the speakers and the desired sound level.

The quality of the digital to analog conversion provided by the AVR also plays an important role.

Since I both listen to music and watch movies and TV, I wanted something to incorporate into my existing two channel system using my existing full range speakers and 200 watt per channel amplifier. Since I also still listen to Vinyl I needed somethng with a phono input.

I looked at the AV7005, SR7005 and SR6006. I chose the SR6006 because of Airplay, my CD collection is already on iTunes uncompressed, newer networking functions and price. It meets my current as well as future needs. Currently the only thing bring driven by the 6006 amps is a 35 year old pair of Stax headphones. In the future when I expand from 2 channel to either 5.1 or 7.1 I will be using the amps in the 6006.

The ability to control the 6006 using a web browser, good support for HDMI Control (CEC) functions and 7.1 analog inputs were also importsnt to me.

My Samsung HDTV and Blu-Ray player integrate well with CEC.

Yes, the amps in an AVR are important. The speakers you have today and what you may replace them with are probably more important to the quality of the sound that you obtain.

Bob Holmes
Curmudgeon
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5006 Av Receiver , Marantz Sr6006 Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr5006 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page