Marantz SR5006 / Marantz SR6006 Receiver Thread - Page 69 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #2041 of 2069 Old 05-16-2015, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Using ARC or optical for 4k tv

Hi guys--I have an sr5006, which sounds great and is dialed in for my directv box, Apple TV, ps4 and Denon bluray player. My LG plasma just died, and I want to get a vizio 4k TV. I understand that the sr5006 does not pass 4k, so I want to be able to use the tv's Amazon, Netflix etc apps to get 4k programming. Right now, I have all inputs going into the marantz, and a single hdmi cable going to the dumb lg TV. It's all controlled by a harmony one (though the marantz is pretty finicky). The vizio are arc compatible as is the marantz from what I can see, though the crc seems to be fussy.

So: can anyone help me out with what I need to do to get sound from my tv when I use the built in apps? Now, Apple TV and ps4 handle those apps. I don't want to plug all inputs to the TV because what a nightmare and I will lose the lossless audio from my bluray.

Thanks for any help and especially specificity!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2042 of 2069 Old 05-16-2015, 06:19 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked: 2406
^^
HDMI(ARC) can be more trouble than it's worth. Instead just connect an optical cable from the TV to the AVR and you'll be good to go.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
post #2043 of 2069 Old 05-16-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
HDMI(ARC) can be more trouble than it's worth. Instead just connect an optical cable from the TV to the AVR and you'll be good to go.
JD, thanks. Then, I just set the harmony to look for optical in for activity like Netflix etc, right?
post #2044 of 2069 Old 05-17-2015, 02:26 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildgift View Post
JD, thanks. Then, I just set the harmony to look for optical in for activity like Netflix etc, right?
Yes, that is correct. Any TV smart app audio would pass from the optical out to the AVR. You'll likely also have to change the TV's audio to either "external speakers" or "home theater."

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
post #2045 of 2069 Old 05-17-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Yes, that is correct. Any TV smart app audio would pass from the optical out to the AVR. You'll likely also have to change the TV's audio to either "external speakers" or "home theater."
Pulled the trigger on a Sony Xbr-65x-850b. I was told it will output DD 5.1 for the apps like Netflix. I'll use my marantz for lossless audio from bluray. Thanks for your help.
post #2046 of 2069 Old 05-23-2015, 12:39 PM

As a follow up, I ran an optical cable from the Sony to the optical input, set up the input as TV, which now shows on the porthole as an option. I set up a harmony activity and it works great, except navigation is sluggish in the Sony. Waiting to hear from Logitech

Thanks for all the advice.
post #2047 of 2069 Old 06-01-2015, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey guys,

need your advice on SR5006 ... currently I have an old but good marantz 5300 driving my 5.1 setup of JM Labs Focal speakers in my HT room. The 5300 sounds great, but since it doesn't even do video switching I have run a separate HDMI switch for video and run optical cable for sound ... bit of a hassle, especially when the 5300 only takes 2 optical inputs so I'm limited in my connections. Yet, the 5300 sounds good, so I've put off my receiver upgrade for a long time.

Browsing the local store over the weekend, I saw the Sony STR-D1050 on sale, and I tried it and was quite impressed by the sound and features on it. Over my short listen at the store, I was quite impressed by the lossless audio compared to the same BD I watch at home. There does indeed seem to be more details.

That said, I've been a Marantz fan and checking some local forum, I see a good condition used SR5006 for sale. The 2 are similar in price (Sony on sale vs used SR5006 ... that's how expensive Marantz has become these days ... then again when I purchased the 5300 that was over 10 years ago)

So just wanted to have your feedback / review of the SR5006.

Specifically -

- Is the SR5006 a reliable unit? My 5300 was rocking for over 10 yrs and it's still running fine. Over the years I lost 1 rear speaker output and only in M-Stereo mode but otherwise it's same as day 1

- Is the Audyssey XT worth it? I see that as a main differentiator between the Sony and the Marantz. Sony's calibration system just does distance (latency) and volume correction. Audyssey XT is supposed to do 'room correction' based on frequency response from each speaker. Does it really work? Does a calibrated system sound better (at least for movies? I'll probably just run direct and turn everything off for music)

- Any quirk / annoyance / issues with the SR5006?

As a side note, I've always loved the marantz 5300 especially for its music quality and how warm and smooth it sounds ... that's why I am surprised when I tried the Sony 1050 and found that it sounds surprisingly good for its price too. Maybe a tad bright if you really turn up the volume but that's when only volume is too loud to a point it's uncomfortable.

Thanks in advance!
post #2048 of 2069 Old 06-01-2015, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Your question is interesting since I just bought that particular Sony a few months back to replace the exact same Marantz. The sound quality in my opinion is superior to the Marantz. The Sony also does 4K pass through for future proofing. I paired it with my 65" Sony XBR 4K set. I found the calibration to work quite well on the Sony. I highly recommend the Sony - large bang for the buck.
post #2049 of 2069 Old 06-01-2015, 01:50 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Future proofed until HDCP 2.2 video is implemented in the newer 4k BDPs later this fall as the Sony has no HDCP 2.2 inputs which would require passing the 4k video to the TV and HD audio to the AVR just as would be the case with either the SR5006 or SR6006.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #2050 of 2069 Old 06-01-2015, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am having some issues with sound lately. My old setup consisted of a Harmon Kardon 5.1 (satellite speakers).
I upgraded to three Ascend Sierra 1's across the front (new sub coming next month) and have added an Emotiva XPA-5.
I reran Audyssey and now it seems as though I have to turn the volume up higher than I did with the satellites to have decent volume. I was thinking that adding the XPA and better speakers would result the other way around. I could have very well screwed up something, but wanted to see if anyone had any ideas.

I am using my SR6006 as a preamp with RCA outs to the XPA. Speakers connected to that.

I'll try and rerun Audyssey this week to see if that helps. Curious though if there is something I might be missing - I'm new to good equipment!

Cheers!
Stewart
post #2051 of 2069 Old 06-01-2015, 03:23 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Have you tried just using the amps in the SR6006 as it's unlikely the XPA-5 is providing any real benefit, however, after running Audyssey with the XPA-5, the speakers should still be calibrated to provide the same SPL at reference volume level.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #2052 of 2069 Old 06-01-2015, 05:59 PM

That was the next plan of action. I'll try it either tomorrow or later this week. Thanks for the help!
post #2053 of 2069 Old 06-02-2015, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMarc43 View Post
Your question is interesting since I just bought that particular Sony a few months back to replace the exact same Marantz. The sound quality in my opinion is superior to the Marantz. The Sony also does 4K pass through for future proofing. I paired it with my 65" Sony XBR 4K set. I found the calibration to work quite well on the Sony. I highly recommend the Sony - large bang for the buck.
I've talked to a lot of Sony STR-D1050 users and I have heard nothing but high praises - best bang for the buck, great sound, easily the best receiver under $1k etc etc ... I think what I'll do is I'll pickup the Sony (since I can refund it) and try it with my speakers at home. If it sounds good then I'll just keep it. If not I can always get the used Marantz SR5006 and refund the Sony.

BTW you also replaced a Marantz 5300 with the Sony D1050 eh? As an audio amplifier I absolutely love the sound of the 5300 so can't wait to hear how the D1050 or the SR5006 compares.
post #2054 of 2069 Old 06-08-2015, 11:18 AM

hey guys,

So after much homework and shopping, i've gladly upgraded my 13 years old Marantz 5300 to the SR5006.

I've considered many AVR's for my upgrade, since I was happy with my 5300 naturally I was considering another Marantz, but initially I was set back by how much Marantz AVR's are these days. Part of it is inflation, but I also think Marantz have priced themselves quite a bit above the yamaha's and Onkyo's too.

I considered the Sony STR-DN1050, to a point I actually bought one and tested at home. I was actually quite happy with the Sony and bang for buck, it isn't bad at all.

Then, I came across a used (yes, another used AVR) Marantz SR5006 that costs ~ the same as the new Sony 1050. I picked up the Marantz and compared it to the Sony at home. After a day of back and forth listening and comparing, I decided to refund the Sony.

It isn't so much what the Sony isn't. I actually find the 2 AVR's very similar in performance. The Sony sounds very well and can hold its own against the 5006.

What it comes down to, is Audyssey XT does a lot more for room correction in my HT room than Sony's DCAC calibration system, which as far as I understand, just measures and calibrates volume and latency. It does not do any frequency or phase correction at all, and also it doesn't calibrate the SW at all.

in my case, if I turn Audyssey off, the 2 AVR's sound very similar. And in fact, they compare very closely to my 13 year old Marantz 5300 (to a point I even questioned if I should save the dough and just keep the Marantz and get an HDMI switch of more output ... that's the biggest reason I was considering an AVR upgrade, I was running out of inputs on my 4x1 HDMI switch)

I guess it is true that the acoustics of a system is primarily the speakers (in my case, a 5.1 JM Focal Chorus setup) ... AVR plays a relatively small role in sound quality.

I do find that ...

- Comparing loseless audio (like Dolby-TrueHD) to the compressed DD5.1 or DTS standards, I can't say there is a night and day difference. There is definitely noticeably more DETAILS, but that's the extent I'd describe the difference.

- The real $$ and the real payback for the upgrade, other than ridding the optical cable / HDMI switch mess, is Audyssey XT. I guess my HT room acoustics is far from perfect, and the first thing I noticed with the 5006 and Audyssey turned ON, is the bass is a LOT sharper, tighter, and cleaner. Where I had to turn down the bass because it was getting too boomy, now it is a lot more blended in with the rest of the acoustics. I can actually turn UP the SW bass instead of down.

- Another thing I think it helps is dialogue in movies ... it naturally 'floats' without being separated from the rest of the sound effect and music. What was muffled and unclear is now clearer.

- It even makes listening to music much more enjoyable. My 5300 didn't have crossover frequency setting (S = 80Hz, L = full range, no in between) and no bass management either, so I could never take advantage of my Chrous 715 which are spec'ed down to 40Hz and my subwoofer to help the bass. Now I can.

- Sound Imaging is much better for stereo music. I sat alone and listened to music for an hour last night, something I haven't done in YEARS. It was great!

So all in all, I'm very happy with the SR5006.

However, some quirks / questions ...

- I know a lot of people complain about the GUI and no, Marantz doesn't have the best looking GUI (heard it got major improvements in later models like 5009) but the menu logic of 5006 doesn't bother me.

- Documentation is POOR. I still don't really understand what D.Comp, DynamicEQ, M-DAX are, what they do, and if I should turn them on / off. And I've read through the manual twice.

- I don't care much for GUI, but I sure hope when I press OSD display, I can be presented with some useful info immediately. I want to know if I've turned on / off some of the acoustics enhancement features like HT-EQ, and what is my source audio. Instead I have to scroll through 6 pages of info, which also block majority of the screen. My wife kept complaining when I wanted to know what was the source audio spec of "Avengers" BD. Or when I'm watching TV I wanna know if the program is 5.1 or 2.0 format. It would be MUCH better to present the vital info along the bottom /top of the screen, and allow you to dig deeper into the OSD menu if you need to.

- AirPlay implementation sucks. It works, sorta. But when I played with it, it kept dropping out. It also doesn't browse my iTunes library which I have shared over the LAN for whatever reason. I can see it but I can't browse it.

All in all, I do have to agree the 5006 isn't the latest AVR from Marantz either ... it's 3 years ago to be fair. Marantz does do 1 thing very well though, and that's how it sounds. And for that I'm very happy with the upgrade to SR5006.

Last edited by number17; 06-08-2015 at 11:22 AM.
post #2055 of 2069 Old 06-08-2015, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Aux, Phono do not show up under Input Source

I finally replaced my Turntable and can not get Aux2 or Phono to show up as Input Sources.

Actually, only four input sources show up.

Any suggestions?
post #2056 of 2069 Old 06-08-2015, 02:30 PM
585-645-1006

^^
The sources are likely set up to not display.

System Setup - Option Setup - Source Delete - ON (set AUX2 and PHONO)
Moscuba likes this.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #2057 of 2069 Old 06-09-2015, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
SR 6006 problem (new due to kids, prior to a couple of weeks ago no issues)
- The kids were playing with the remote and now I have a weird audio issue. If I leave the audio - "auto" setting turned on, it doesn't seem to make the necessary changes to the different signals it receives. Sometimes bluray signal will be stereo when its digital hd, cable programming will be Dolby dig when its stero and commercials are hit or miss. If I manually change them everything is fine but thats really annoying, any suggestions? Also I niticed that sometimes the audio coming on the front two speakers seems muffled when people speak (not when it comes from the center, that is fine). I have gone as far to reset the receiver and start from scratch but that hasnt helped either.I am sure its something simple I am missing but it's driving me crazy. Please help!
Components
Sr6006
Ps3
Comcast box
Epson projector
post #2058 of 2069 Old 06-09-2015, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Big Hug. Apparently when they programmed these they set it up for the inputs they liked.
post #2059 of 2069 Old 06-09-2015, 05:18 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerwseguy View Post
SR 6006 problem (new due to kids, prior to a couple of weeks ago no issues)
- The kids were playing with the remote and now I have a weird audio issue. If I leave the audio - "auto" setting turned on, it doesn't seem to make the necessary changes to the different signals it receives. Sometimes bluray signal will be stereo when its digital hd, cable programming will be Dolby dig when its stero and commercials are hit or miss. If I manually change them everything is fine but thats really annoying, any suggestions? Also I niticed that sometimes the audio coming on the front two speakers seems muffled when people speak (not when it comes from the center, that is fine). I have gone as far to reset the receiver and start from scratch but that hasnt helped either.I am sure its something simple I am missing but it's driving me crazy. Please help!
Components
Sr6006
Ps3
Comcast box
Epson projector
Then don't use "Auto." Whatever surround mode you select for a given source signal should be remembered the next time that signal is played. If you have reset the AVR, then whatever your kids did would have been resolved.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #2060 of 2069 Old 06-09-2015, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The receiver does remember that surround setting but commercials and other channels are not always the same audio format. It didnt have this problem before so there has to be a way to "fix" it. I am sure there is some audio setting I am not using something
post #2061 of 2069 Old 06-16-2015, 06:44 AM

I have a question about Audyssey on my 6006.
My LCR speakers are Ascend Sierra 1s. Each time I've run Audyssey, it sets them to large. I really want to set them to small. If I go in and change them from Large to Small in the menu, Audyssey still shows them listed as Large when I view everything. Am I missing something? Just curious as to what I should do.
Thanks!
post #2062 of 2069 Old 06-16-2015, 06:49 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrw1zard View Post
I have a question about Audyssey on my 6006.
My LCR speakers are Ascend Sierra 1s. Each time I've run Audyssey, it sets them to large. I really want to set them to small. If I go in and change them from Large to Small in the menu, Audyssey still shows them listed as Large when I view everything. Am I missing something? Just curious as to what I should do.
Thanks!
Audyssey doesn't set them to LARGE, rather your AVR does. Simply set them to SMALL/80Hz in Manual Setup and Audyssey won't be impacted. Audyssey Setup will always display the results after running Audyssey such that you can more easily return to them if you choose to. Manual Setup reflects the current "active" settings based on any changes you might have made.
mrw1zard likes this.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #2063 of 2069 Old 06-16-2015, 07:24 AM

Perfect! Thank you very much for the quick reply. I just wanted to be sure that when I change them to small/80Hz in Manual that it "sticks". Thanks!
post #2064 of 2069 Old 06-16-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m R g S r View Post
More recent issues with my stupid Sr5006. A while back I had a dead surround channel. I searched the internet and found a post (can't find the damn thing now for the life of me) stating how to do a hard hard reset. Not just a hard reset. This was a hard hard reset that even marantz wasn't aware of.

Anyway that one worked for me, and got that channel working again. I can't find it, and don't know what buttons I pressed. Please someone if they're aware of it than lmk!

I have no sound, but picture passes fine. No sound when I do test tone start as well. This thing is really annoying me!
Hi there,

I may get the same problem. Anyone can advise how to HARD-HARD RESET this device ?
post #2065 of 2069 Old 06-20-2015, 02:44 PM

I hope someone can help me.

I am not able to view the current surround mode. When I press Movie I only get the message "Multi Ch" in the display of the receiver.

Really, I have this receiver now for years and it sounds really good. But I do not get the message in the display of which surround mode is currently used.

Thanks in advance.
post #2066 of 2069 Old 06-21-2015, 04:59 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Which surround mode or which audio codec is being received? When the AVR displays "MULT CH IN" that means your BDP is decoding the DD/DTS audio to multi channel PCM. If you want to see which "audio codec" is being received, let the AVR do the decoding by setting the BDP to "bitstream" with "Secondary Audio" or "Mix" set to OFF.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #2067 of 2069 Old 07-09-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camapgia View Post
Hi there,

I may get the same problem. Anyone can advise how to HARD-HARD RESET this device ?
Re-post to look for any advice. Tks !
post #2068 of 2069 Old 07-09-2015, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by camapgia View Post
Hi there, I may get the same problem. Anyone can advise how to HARD-HARD RESET this device ?
A completely dead channel sounds like a hardware failure. If there was a double secret reset jd would know about it.
Try the regular full reset five times before you give up. What does marantz tech support say? Any warranty?
post #2069 of 2069 Unread Today, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wokwurst View Post
I hope someone can help me.

I am not able to view the current surround mode. When I press Movie I only get the message "Multi Ch" in the display of the receiver.

Really, I have this receiver now for years and it sounds really good. But I do not get the message in the display of which surround mode is currently used.

Thanks in advance.
Same problem. One of the HDMI outputs used to display "stereo, Dolby movie, Dolby music" etc a I pressed the "surround mode" button on the remote...now nothing.

To the poster that lost audio in a channel...which channel. I have unconnected/reconnected the center channel binding post so many times that I got loose inside the unit and stopped making a solid connection. I took it to a local stereo shop and they fixed, but now its back. This is my fault and not a problem with this unit. If you're close to Austin TX Pyramid Audio is an authorized service center for many brands (and they will attempt to service anything, and they usually can!)
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5006 Av Receiver , Marantz Sr6006 Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr5006 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page