Old 09-26-2011, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by stran69 View Post

Then save up to buy a amp because you will want one when you get those kick ass speakers but wait the sr-5006 can't why ccotenj tell us why ...!!!!!

Huh?!

First, I am puzzled why there would be any difference in sound quality between a separate amp and the amps of the SR5006? As long as they are both decently engineered (and nowadays very few are not), they should both sound the same, despite what the marketing brochures tell you.

In addition, for most home applications, a 50W amplification is generally sufficient, unless you have some very inefficient speakers. So, the 60-70W which the SR5006 probably outputs in the real world will, for all practical purposes, sound the same as 200W monoblocks, at reasonable listening levels.

As to depreciation, separates drop just as rapidly as AVRs. I am also not aware of any decent pre/pro + multi-channel amp combo which is in the $700 range (as the SR5006 is).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2011, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm new to the forum but have used it for a lot of advice in the past,

Any of you with the 5006 notice a heat issue? I'm thinking of getting this receiver vs the denon 2112. Ive read a review complaining that it gets very warm even in standby. I went to my local brick and mortar and while they didn't have the 5006 they did have the 6006. I felt the top of one that was in standby and it was indeed pretty warm. Any thoughts? Why would this be?

I think I like the 5006 better than the 2112 but if it's going to cook itself I don't think its worth it.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:

Any of you with the 5006 notice a heat issue?

My 5006 does run warm, but a lot cooler than the Onkyo RC-160 it replaced. I have not noticed it generating any heat in standby. As long as its going to be in a properly ventilated area, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone used the 2nd HDMI output on the 6006? I am wondering if it outputs audio with it. I would like to add another output to my screened porch and I need audio with it. The manual talks about HDMI control which I don't really grasp yet, but I don't think that is what I am looking for.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:10 PM

I need some help with my new Marantz SR5006. It's connected to my Mitsubishi LT-52149 LCD TV and a Comcast Xfinity Anyroom DVR box through hdmi. I think it's having hdmi handshaking problem with the TV since there seems to be pause before the TV would get signal, in addition, every time after I turn the TV off and turn it back on, the Comcast box would reset its output resolution from 1080i/1080p back to 480p. Even though in the Marantz menu, "hdmi info", the monitor is listed as compatible with 1080i/1080p, it seems to be telling the receiver that it's only compatible with 480p. On top of that, all the video mode, color, brightness, contrast, backlight, and other settings on the Mitsubishi would also reset to original factory default. Anyone else with simliar problems? Any advice is appreciated.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:45 AM

new try, in right thread...

Stupid question about 5006 & Internet radio: How in hell you put/store netradio-stations to their presets? I have those stations now in favourites, and I've been able to put normal radio stations in their presets, but I really can't understand how to do that in netradio(?)

Maybe I'm stupid, but can't find detailed information about that from manual.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAUJLA View Post

Thankyou. Now I have to find a place where I can buy SR6006 on a decent price.

I ordered from Vanns last night, they had the best price I could find plus free shipping and a $50 iTunes card
Old 09-29-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Read the manual before you call. won't do digital to zone 2.

Why is this? It seems like it should be pretty simple to implement. Am I missing some technical reason why this doesn't happen (which is entirely possible)?

But this seems like a pretty basic feature in a day and age when more and more audio sources are digital.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
^^^

because then it would have to have multiple digital audio paths... which would add to the "build cost" of the unit....

not that it isn't important to you, or me, or many at avs, but i'd be shocked if more than 1 out of 25 buyers in this price segment even knows that zones exist, let alone actually use them... so it's not worth the additional expense of adding the capability for digital to zones...

i'd bet that the only reason that zones even still exist in this price segment is because it's essentially "free" for them to do for analog sources...

i know... it's the suckage for those of us who want to do it... and even units that will send spdif to zones won't do it from hdmi sources (a couple yammy's do it, but not as true zones)...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Old 09-29-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

not that it isn't important to you, or me, or many at avs, but i'd be shocked if more than 1 out of 25 buyers in this price segment even knows that zones exist, let alone actually use them... so it's not worth the additional expense of adding the capability for digital to zones...

Couldn't that be said for many of the features on products in this price range?

It just seems odd to advertize a 2-zone or 3-zone feature when that feature is crippled. Why even have zones?

As for the technical part--on many receivers, the zone 2 speaker outputs are also the surround back (or some other additional set) that can be programmed as either additional surround or a second zone. How can the AVR send sound to that speaker output from a digital source (e.g. blue ray) when operating in surround mode, but not when operating in zone 2 mode?
Old 09-29-2011, 04:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
^^^

because in a 7.1 configuration every speaker is producing audio from the same source...

whereas zones, by definition, require the ability to produce audio/video from a different source than the main zone... and in order to do that with a digital source, the avr would require 2 separate audio/video digital paths... 2 different sources can't use the same digital path at the same time...

the reason you can do analog to zones from an analog source is because, again, it's "free"... the avr doesn't have to do anything...

this is similar to the ability to overlay analog video (but not digital video) on a digital audio source on the avr... this is "simple and free" for them to do, because the avr just passes the analog video through...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Old 09-29-2011, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdrew View Post

Why is this? It seems like it should be pretty simple to implement. Am I missing some technical reason why this doesn't happen (which is entirely possible)?

But this seems like a pretty basic feature in a day and age when more and more audio sources are digital.

If you could send the HDMI input through a digital output (to zone 2) then you could record the digital signal....something that HDMI tries to avoid.

The Man doesn't want you copying your hires stuff.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRace View Post

If you could send the HDMI input through a digital output (to zone 2) then you could record the digital signal....something that HDMI tries to avoid.

The Man doesn't want you copying your hires stuff.

Yeah, but this is for speakers not for digital out.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdrew View Post

Yeah, but this is for speakers not for digital out.

I am also somewhat disappointed with the seemingly unnecessary restrictions on Zone Outputs of my SR6006.

It would be impossible to have one digital input going to the Main Zone and another digital input going to a Zone. The decoding circuits can only handle one digital input at a time.

The head scratcher is not being able to send the SAME digitital input to both the Main Zone and Zones 2 or 3. If the digital input is not L R Stereo there would be problems with getting a full frequency signal to the Zones. However, that really should be a problem left to owner after appropriate documentation of the limitation.

All in all the Zone limitations were not a deal breaker for me. I was aware of them before I made the purchase and have had no buyer's remorse. In fact, the ability to use a web browser or IP over my LAN have exceeded my expectations. Internet Radio is simple to use. I was able to find Radio Bavaria the day after I purchased by SR6006 and listen to the live broadcast from the Bayreuth Wagner Festival. Airplay works well with my iTunes and the iPad Remote App. Hopefully, Apple will expand Airplay's capabilities to include video in the not too distant future and Marantz will incorporate this feature in a firmware update. The DLNA client also works well.

My only real complaints are the lack of a printed manual and a simple way to determine the version of the firmware on the SR6006. There is a way to find the firmware version, but it is not part of the on screen menus. It involves some arcane button combinations on the front of the unit and reading the version off of the port hole display.

Bob Holmes
Curmudgeon
Old 09-30-2011, 04:30 PM

Does anyone know if it has a 2.1 Stereo mode ? I got mine this morning and I have it all up and running with the latest updates downloaded and installed but the only way I can listen to music is in 2 channel without a sub or with all 5 channels and a sub. Any help while I am searching the CD would be much appreciated.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGMARQ View Post

Does anyone know if it has a 2.1 Stereo mode ? I got mine this morning and I have it all up and running with the latest updates downloaded and installed but the only way I can listen to music is in 2 channel without a sub or with all 5 channels and a sub. Any help while I am searching the CD would be much appreciated.

Got it in the CD

Bass Management/Subwoofer mode set to LFE+Main and now i like it
Old 09-30-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDHolmes View Post

. Airplay works well with my iTunes and the iPad Remote App. Hopefully, Apple will expand Airplay's capabilities to include video in the not too distant future and Marantz will incorporate this feature in a firmware update. The DLNA client also works well.

Does Airplay go to zone 2 or is that treated as a digital source as well?

I'm trying to figure out what one actually might send to zone 2 other than radio, phono, or a CD player that you don't hook up with optical cables.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by WGMARQ View Post

Try setting the L and R Front speakers to small. Lsrge implies full range with no sub.

Bob Holmes
Curmudgeon
Old 09-30-2011, 07:27 PM

I'm really liking this thing now, the web interface makes tweaking so easy !!!
Old 10-01-2011, 09:34 AM

Liked: 12
I was looking for a new receiver to replace my denon 2112ci (just looking at other options) and found an onkyo 709 for $650 and a marantz 5006 for $719. I have no experience with marantz so would like some input from others that have had experience with either of the ones in ?
Old 10-01-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekkoville View Post

Any luck with the Wiz App? It's been pretty steady so far, only once where te connection timed out. Once it is connected I have found that it stays connected and works well, including power to both zones.

I'm not sure what maintenance mode is. I haven't the most time yet getting this set up properly. I just returned an Onkyo NR809 after it bricked itself during a firmware update. Come to find out, while doing the Audessy setup with 6006, I found that the Onkyo must have sent a surge through the speakers and I have three toasted inwall Klipsch's. So, I'm waiting replacement in order finally use it aside from zone 2.

This new way of giving documentation is really inconvenient also. I want to sit and read the manual but it's in PDF, which works great for the iPad. Sometimes I just want a hard copy and 159 pages seemed a bit excessive to print out.

Hi again.

So after a trip to Amsterdam last weekend (and this weekend for that matter ) and unplugging the SR6006 it's all been miraculously working fine with the Wizzapp! It's excellent that you can indeed switch the receiver on and of with the app! Loving this very much! It's a tiny bit slow to start on even an iPhone 4 but hey the new one maybe around the corner :roll eyes: and maybe they could speed this up in a new build release?

Sorry to hear about your fried speakers. That must have hurt a little
Old 10-02-2011, 06:03 PM

Hi all,

Please, does anyone know a good dealer in Canada, or an USA one that ships here ?

Thanks,

Mongao
Old 10-03-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekjunkie28 View Post

I was looking for a new receiver to replace my denon 2112ci (just looking at other options) and found an onkyo 709 for $650 and a marantz 5006 for $719. I have no experience with marantz so would like some input from others that have had experience with either of the ones in ?

tekjunkie,
I'm just curious - what makes you want to replace the 2112?
Old 10-03-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMikeS2000 View Post

Sorry to hear about your fried speakers. That must have hurt a little

Yeah, losing three was a audio catastrophe, BUT, the new ones will be here today finally.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:22 PM

I have no experience with the sr5006 but I bought my sr5005 in Jan 2011 and it has worked and sounded great with no problems.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:03 AM

Got my 6006 yesterday and it sounds great. Switched from a denon 2807 and the new Audyssey MultEQ XT Pro works better, at least it sounds better, so i guess the audyssey is the main reason for this. It might just be a better receiver all together. The internet radio and the wizzapp works fine, its nice to be able to start it without even going in to the livingroom. Soon the spotify client will come, THAT will be great. Do you guys know of spotify? It was released in europe some years ago and has now reached the states, so google it if you havent heard of it.
Anyhoo, the quality of the sound has been improved from my denon. Watched Avatar last night and it´s a big difference in the surround experience
Old 10-04-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamasha View Post

Got my 6006 yesterday and it sounds great. Switched from a denon 2807 and the new Audyssey MultEQ XT Pro works better, at least it sounds better, so i guess the audyssey is the main reason for this. It might just be a better receiver all together. The internet radio and the wizzapp works fine, its nice to be able to start it without even going in to the livingroom. Soon the spotify client will come, THAT will be great. Do you guys know of spotify? It was released in europe some years ago and has now reached the states, so google it if you havent heard of it.
Anyhoo, the quality of the sound has been improved from my denon. Watched Avatar last night and it´s a big difference in the surround experience

Hey check out mog music they have a app for macs that works well with AirPlay .
Old 10-05-2011, 12:27 AM

Quote:

Hi Karamasha,
I am glad to hear ur comparison between 6006 vs 2807.i know denon 2807 is a great avr.So i can assume how great is 6006.
thx for the information.
please let us know more updates from 6006.
hifi
Old 10-05-2011, 02:05 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1962 Post(s)
Liked: 1745
Quote:

Got my 6006 yesterday and it sounds great. Switched from a denon 2807 and the new Audyssey MultEQ XT Pro works better, at least it sounds better, so i guess the audyssey is the main reason for this.

The 2807 used an older version of XT (6 positions) which was updated to 8 positions beginning with the following year's 2808. Since 2007, XT has not changed and is the same in Denon, Marantz, and Onkyo AVRs using XT. The "Pro" simply means the 6006 is "Pro Ready" in that you can connect the Audyssey Pro Kit ($700) to the AVR via a PC.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 10-05-2011, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The 2807 used an older version of XT (6 positions) which was updated to 8 positions beginning with the following year's 2808. Since 2007, XT has not changed and is the same in Denon, Marantz, and Onkyo AVRs using XT. The "Pro" simply means the 6006 is "Pro Ready" in that you can connect the Audyssey Pro Kit ($700) to the AVR via a PC.

So i guess the new receiver is just better then

Tags
Marantz Sr5006 Av Receiver , Marantz Sr6006 Av Receiver