Marantz SR5006 / Marantz SR6006 Receiver Thread - Page 71 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #2101 of 2110 Old 07-20-2016, 03:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10984 Post(s)
Liked: 5087
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEAyuso View Post
I've had an SR6006 for 4 years. It has started shutting itself off after a minute or two. Overheating? Bad part? Any ideas? The nearest repair center is 80+ miles away.
Check the speaker wiring as that is the most common cause (ie. a loose wire from one post touching another post). Otherwise, disconnect all sources and speakers and if the unit still shuts down, then more likely amp failure. Get an estimate for repair as it will likely run at least $200-$300.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2102 of 2110 Old 07-21-2016, 06:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Check the speaker wiring as that is the most common cause (ie. a loose wire from one post touching another post). Otherwise, disconnect all sources and speakers and if the unit still shuts down, then more likely amp failure. Get an estimate for repair as it will likely run at least $200-$300.
Thanks, JD. I did as you said and it looks like amp failure. The standby light is flashing red too. I think I'll save the money on the repair and use it to buy a new receiver.
post #2103 of 2110 Old 07-21-2016, 07:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEAyuso View Post
Thanks, JD. I did as you said and it looks like amp failure. The standby light is flashing red too. I think I'll save the money on the repair and use it to buy a new receiver.
Give us (AVS) a call for suggestions on a new AVR as well as pricing and availability.
post #2104 of 2110 Old 07-21-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Give us (AVS) a call for suggestions on a new AVR as well as pricing and availability.
Will do, thanks JD.
post #2105 of 2110 Old 07-22-2016, 02:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,

Many years ago I reviewed all the helpful advice here when I bought my SR5006. The amp has been brilliant for a few years now, but a new puppy may have disturbed the peace. Said puppy had chewed my front speaker cables and also the LAN cable. To the best of my knowledge the amp has not been used in this state. I re-cabled today and went through my usual checks. To my dismay when I select my BD player, my TV tells me that there's no source. I have no on screen amp options. If I power down and then power the BD, I can see the wallpaper for the BD briefly before it disappears, again telling me that the source is not connected. If I check the status on the TV it tells me that there is no HDMI4 input. The only HDMI input that works is the Apple TV. However, even that, if I select or change inputs can sometimes disappear. Powering the amp on and off resolves this.

I have performed an AMP reset using the Power, Zone Select and Display buttons, but this hasn't resolved the issue. All I've done is lost my setup...

I live too far from any local shop that could repair it and 3000km from the importer, so the idea of sending it off for repair doesn't make me happy. Does the community have any ideas that might help?

Clifford
post #2106 of 2110 Old 07-22-2016, 03:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Best option is to upgrade to something more current.
post #2107 of 2110 Old 07-22-2016, 03:37 AM

I'd love to, but money stops that.

I've tried another BD in the same and other HDMI slots and the symptoms are the same. Boot image appears for the BD player and then the HDMI input shuts down. If I plug the Apple TV into the same slot it works fine. Is there something unique about a BD HDMI output that would be causing it to shut down?
post #2108 of 2110 Old 07-22-2016, 04:45 AM

Resolved. Turned out to be a suspect HDMI input on the TV. For some reason the Apple TV would play perfectly through it, but selecting any input would cause the HDMI output/input to shut down.

Thanks.

CJ
post #2109 of 2110 Old 09-09-2016, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Add me to the list of non-functioning 5006 owners (is anyone keeping count?)

Watched a movie, and afterwards switched to a special feature (which apparently used a different encoding), when the audio switched I heard some loud cracks and pops from a couple of speakers and audio only out of one speaker. Rotating the volume knob would - randomly - either cause more popping sounds, no sound, or sometimes audio would come out of just one speaker and the volume wouldn't change regardless of the setting (even all the way down at the "- - -" setting).

I called Marantz (Denon!) tech support. They walked me through a hard reset and declared the unit needs service. A local shop just took $45 to look at it and tell me the "Amp Assembly" needs replacement at a cost of and additional $315. The tech told me he sees a lot of AVRs manufactured in the past 4-5 years dying this way... from all manufacturers. It's sad because I have taken good care of it, it only gets light use in my dedicated HT (1-2 movies per week max), is always well ventilated, on a power conditioner (powered down when not used for more than a day) and never driven hard (rarely even watch at reference levels).

I've owned it about 5 years, so even an extended warranty wouldn't have covered the failure.

And, as is consistent with just about everyone else here - I don't think I can justify fixing at this cost, better put toward Atmos or future proofing 4k. Hope I have better luck with the next one!

Paul
post #2110 of 2110 Old 11-20-2016, 11:45 AM

Hi all,

Have a question hoping someone may have experienced or can help.

I have a 6006 and a panasonic GT60 plasma. It has been fully functioning and operational for several years.

Recently the powering up and off of the system has stopped functioning. What I mean buy that is when i turn the system on and or off from the Panasonic remote the receiver does not follow (it always has). Same as the volume control, this was always controlled through TV remote (volume of AVR). I could not figure out why this was happening so I factory reset the TV and the AVR and tried to set it all back up. After this, same issue is there.

Any ideas??

Thanks for an help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5006 Av Receiver , Marantz Sr6006 Av Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page