Cary Cinema 12 - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #361 of 379 Old 06-19-2013, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Peter,
you mentioned that The sound is definitely still a little brighter and more forward than the Meridian sound, when you say brighter, have you auditioned the Integra DHC 80.2 or 80.3, this type of brightness?

I own a Lexicon MC-12B non HD , and was considering the Cinema 12, but no one in my area has one to listen to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 379 Old 06-19-2013, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Solly,

I know I said "still a little brighter and more forward than the Meridian sound", but I may not be communicating very accurately, Unfortunately this is the only current-vintage processor I have tried and I have not heard any of the Integra units, so I can't really offer a comparison there.

Let me try to be more precise about the sound of the Cary. It is not at all bright or hard in the digital/transistor sense, and it is absolutely not thin sounding. The sound seems very much like the ARC VT100 II I'm using with it - lots of warmth and bloom, but with plenty of mid-range detail. Compared to the old Meridian 565 it is forward in the sense that it's like looking through a cleaner window - I haven't gone back to the Meridian, but I suspect that it would now sound dark and muddy in comparison. the Cary sounds very "fast"

Finding a way to audition these things is a real problem, and I was really surprised that in an urban area of millions of people (SF Bay Area) I could not find anyone who even had an Arcam or Anthem unit at all. I think this is the real failure of the current distribution model - dealers "own" a territory, but they seem to think that means they don't need to keep a demo unit in stock but will order one if you want to take the risk.

I mentioned earlier that I had first auditioned the C12 at a dealer in SF. We first tried it in pass-through mode with a Wadia CD player that was (I think) $8k or so, and then switched to using the C12's DA converters. In comparison to the Wadia the Cary digital processing was not quite as detailed, slightly warmer sounding, but still sounded great. In other words, in that comparison it was the warmer of the two.

Not sure this helps, but describing sound quality is tough.

Peter
post #363 of 379 Old 07-09-2013, 06:15 AM

Got my Cinema 12 a week ago, so far so good until yesterday when I connected the PS3 for the kids. Some games you dont get any sound at all, lots of cracks and pops when you "panning" trough the setup on the PS3. If I use TOSLINK no problem with the sound in games at all, but still a lot of noises when Im "panning" in the main screen on the PS3. I have tried PCM and LPCM, no difference. Any tips how I can get this to work properly? The settings on the PS3 has worked on 3 different AVR`s before without any problems, until now.

My unit has the latest firmware, but i dont know if the HDMI update is applied.

It also make noises when Im changing inputs, but I have also experienced the same with Electrocompaniet`s 4.8 and 4.9, so I survive.
post #364 of 379 Old 07-12-2013, 04:43 AM

Finaly I found a solution for my 2 "small" HDMI problems. The PS3 was sending out something that the Cinema12 didnt like, I removed all unnecessary supports for the higher samplingrates in the PS3 and the sound now works fine.

Has also a problem when I connected my Mac to the Cinema12 via HDMI, I didnt get any sound when playing musig, but movies worked. The solution here is was to change the sampling rate out from my Mac to 44.1 and again sound flowed out of my speakers. This is anyway a solution I will not continue to use, I have ordered a Musical Fidelity V-Link 192, my plan is to hook it up on the digital XLR input (AES/EBU)

Looks like the Cinema12 is a little "picky" on what signal you are feeding it, but as soon you get it right in the other end it just producing fantastic sound. So to thoose who having problems, check your gear in the other end, it maybe a setting or two that needs to be changed.
post #365 of 379 Old 07-14-2013, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Any further updates on these things? Has anybody here compared this to the Marantz 8801? Thanks
post #366 of 379 Old 07-14-2013, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuteman View Post

Finding a way to audition these things is a real problem, and I was really surprised that in an urban area of millions of people (SF Bay Area) I could not find anyone who even had an Arcam or Anthem unit at all. I think this is the real failure of the current distribution model - dealers "own" a territory, but they seem to think that means they don't need to keep a demo unit in stock but will order one if you want to take the risk.

Peter

I demoed a Cary Audio C12 fro a guy who worked out of his garage. It was the stack of shelves just right of his car.

I found Anthem's are at nearly every dealer. Arcam's seem only carried at Best Buy(with upgraded Magnolia stores) and only the AVR's. I live in the Twin Cities. Everyone else who supposed to carry Arcam basically refuses to, and calls them crap. Amazing!

The distribution networks for these "boutique" audio companies are a HUGE drag on sales.

Moderator harassment is wrong and immoral.  
post #367 of 379 Old 10-29-2013, 03:22 PM

Liked: 12
can somebody confirm whats the current issues on cinema 12 right now?
we are considering using it on our showroom at a small theater we have. We don't have DVR but we do have XBMC as our media server?
what are currently the problems?
daniel
post #368 of 379 Old 11-30-2013, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

The only problem I had was the C12 didn't like my TiVo's 30-second skip. CODEC PoPs! EVERY time. Untolerable.

But that was quite a while ago, and there have been FW updates since then. Plus, it seems most people who buy this price range don't watch "TV" with it.

If it wasn't for the CODEC Pops I would've kept it. It was the BEST sounding piece of AV equipment I've EVER heard. Astounding. I would not hesitate to recommend it to anybody, as long as you get a return policy, so you can make sure it works well with all your sources.

post #369 of 379 Old 11-30-2013, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post

Any further updates on these things? Has anybody here compared this to the Marantz 8801? Thanks

I tried a Marantz last summer, took it back the same day. Ugh! What crap. I don't get "it".

No offense, but IMO, I don't understand how anyone interested in a C12 can have a Marantz on the same radar. Features VS SQ.

It's like comparing luxury brand Japanese cars to German cars. ON PAPER the Japanese car wins handily. They have TONS of features, great specs, and run forever.

But when you compare how they ride, the doors sound when you close them, drive over a pothole, the design of the interior, the feedback from the steering wheel, the material across more of the dash, etc, etc. There's just a different pedigree, different expectations. If you can't see it, that's fine - but if you do, there's NO going back.

After all, there are TONS of people on AVS who think "everything sounds the same". They buy Marantz/Denon/etc.

The best way to figure it out is to TRY one yourself! I wish MORE people DID in this forum.

post #370 of 379 Old 12-04-2013, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Really dean that is not really a good comparison. Most German cars have a lot of quality issues, just sayin.

But anyways thanks for your opinion. I ended up buying the Krell Foundation and love it. I didn't even realize that you were quoting me until I read this for like the fourth time today lol. This thread is so dead.
post #371 of 379 Old 12-06-2013, 12:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post

Really dean that is not really a good comparison. Most German cars have a lot of quality issues, just sayin.

But anyways thanks for your opinion. I ended up buying the Krell Foundation and love it. I didn't even realize that you were quoting me until I read this for like the fourth time today lol. This thread is so dead.

LOL! I think you missed my point. But that's OK.

It's about the driving experience. But, in a way, you've reinforced it. Because your quick, brush off of "Most German cars have quality issues" is exactly what Japanese car type people do. It's just numbers to them.

post #372 of 379 Old 12-06-2013, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

It was just a joke on my end. Definitely not a Japanese car lover. I work for Ford and would much rather own one of them or a German car. Regardless of the quality issues mentioned.

On the original question I could get the Marantz for sooo much cheaper than even retail. That is why I asked.

I realize the Cary would probably sound better but with the issues and the price difference I just wondered if it gets a lot closer then.

Its all a moot point though as I bought the Krell Foundation and absolutely loved it. Had to sell it long story. Will be buying another unless Cary can get this thing sorted out. The Krell Foundation had none of these problems. And sounded so perfect to my ears.
post #373 of 379 Old 02-16-2014, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this thread and have been reading about some of the quirks associated with this product. My main interest is in sound quality but I don't have enough expendable cash to be able to afford upper tier gear. I found a cinema 12 on Audigon for $3200. Its a demo product from a dealer and appears to be in good condition. Id love to be able to buy one new but this is already stretching my budget. My question is, is this a fair price for this product? Does anyone have any experience buying used or demoed preamps? I see it as a good way to get quality products for a lower price but the fact that I'm not the original owner kind of scares me. I don't have a Cary dealer located close by, so I haven't actually heard it first hand. From what Ive been reading it sounds like the audio quality is outstanding. I'm concerned about the pops etc. associated with the C12 but do you think the sound quality makes it worth owning?

I listen to music 60% and movies 40%. I would be open to any other recommendations you may have. Im just looking to find a high quality system on not too big a budget. Thanks for the help!
post #374 of 379 Old 02-18-2014, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspan01 View Post

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this thread and have been reading about some of the quirks associated with this product. My main interest is in sound quality but I don't have enough expendable cash to be able to afford upper tier gear. I found a cinema 12 on Audigon for $3200. Its a demo product from a dealer and appears to be in good condition. Id love to be able to buy one new but this is already stretching my budget. My question is, is this a fair price for this product? Does anyone have any experience buying used or demoed preamps? I see it as a good way to get quality products for a lower price but the fact that I'm not the original owner kind of scares me. I don't have a Cary dealer located close by, so I haven't actually heard it first hand. From what Ive been reading it sounds like the audio quality is outstanding. I'm concerned about the pops etc. associated with the C12 but do you think the sound quality makes it worth owning?

I listen to music 60% and movies 40%. I would be open to any other recommendations you may have. Im just looking to find a high quality system on not too big a budget. Thanks for the help!

I don't own the Cary but I would think if it came with the full warranty that it would be a good deal. I don't know if any of the problems with it were fixed however. I really wish an owner could help you out. But as you can see I think this is a ghost town.
post #375 of 379 Old 02-26-2014, 05:09 AM
AFB

I do not have a C12, but I have the earlier C11a. I have had the processor for about 5 years. I moved into a new house 10 months ago. The new house has a dedicated HT with room treatment and a bigger screen. When I set up the HT I upgraded the speakers, the sources, the power amps, the Audyssey equalizer, the control system and the projector but kept the C11a - upgrading to the 1.4 board. I use the system +90% music and could not be happier. I do not have any issue with pops and strange sounds that others seem to have. You lose the first few seconds when you go to a new track, which is a slight annoyance, but the sound is so good after that you soon forget this and sit back and enjoy the sound. In planning for the new HT I did not really look at alternatives to the C11a, figuring that I would see what the new system sounded like. Since moving in I am very happy with the system and have not even considered looking at alternatives. I would go with the Cary.
post #376 of 379 Old 07-13-2014, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
How good is the C12 for use with movies?

Anyone knows if the last firmware solved the problems with pops and click sound/delay with DVR etc??

It have been asked before but have notr been answered. I guess the AV 8801 will be better for movies but what about difference when listen to Music in stereo? Im using Mac mini-> SoTM USB converter > DSPeaker Dual core 2.0 XLR--> and maybe a C12..
Is it so much of a difference?

Anyone?

Last edited by AtleIB; 07-13-2014 at 10:50 PM.
post #377 of 379 Old 07-17-2014, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
AtleIB, I owned Cary Cinema 11 since 2008 and I never found any other better sounding processor for both music and movies.
I play music and movies from HTPC via HDMI, so I don't lose beginning part of any music.

I don't use the unit's HDMI switching so I can't comment on that aspect.

As a pure audio processor, nothing will sound better than Cary model 12. I have 5 Martin Logan speakers with crisp sound delivered via Theta DN2 amplifier.

Other processors (Anthem, Bryston, Classe) cost 10K with more HDMI switching and built-in calibration but won't sound better than Cary. Get Room analyzer Pro II and calibrate on your own.

Try to get a good discount from a dealer and you won't be disappointed.

Peter
post #378 of 379 Old 09-16-2014, 04:34 AM

Hi everyone .

Just got my 12 for two weeks . So far everything is ok . But i have something to check with you guys . Lets say you have set the EQ to ON and the LATE to HALF . So the next day you power up the 12 , does the EQ still remain on and the LATE remain HALF or both is OFF?

Thanks in advance

cheer guys
post #379 of 379 Unread Today, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have had the Cinema 12 for one year and I am still very satisfied. The sound quality for both music and movies are incredibly smooth yet detailed. This makes it easy to listen for hours without fatigue.

There are some quirks when changing between HDMI sources but also some ways to avoid it. Here is an example.

If I change to a HDMI source that is not yet on I get no sound only picture. The fix is to choose another HDMI input then change back again, or even better, remember to turn on the source before you select the HDMI input.

According to Cary Audio this is not a general issue and they recommend to reinstall the latest software version. I will do this but it is only possible with a active USB to serial adapter cable which I don't yet have.

Apart from this I am as before mentioned very happy with the sound quality. I combine C12 with an ATI AT3005 and the combination of the smooth C12 and the high power and control of ATI is very satisfying.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page