Cary Cinema 12 - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #391 of 393 Old 07-09-2015, 04:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do the 11a and the 12 sound similar when used for movies/bluray only through hdmi or does the 12 have that wow factor over the 11a?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 393 Old 07-09-2015, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsf2 View Post
Do the 11a and the 12 sound similar when used for movies/bluray only through hdmi or does the 12 have that wow factor over the 11a?
I have both, and am using the 12 in my setup with the 11a in reserve. My impression is that the 12 does sound better, but both do a great job of surround and bass management. The 12 seems to have fewer HDMI artifacts. The sources to the 12 are an Oppo 105 that also processes DirecTV HD-DVR and a Sony XA5400ES. The Oppo connects via HDMI, coax, and 7.1 analog; the Sony via HDMI and XLR. I rely on the Oppo for Blu-ray audio, and am particularly fond of opera on Blu-ray, but music encoded in DTS-HD MA or Dolby True HD can be splendid. The Sony is used for surround SACDs.

The Cary is not used for stereo. That's a Parasound JC 2 BP preamp with an Ayre C-5xeMP and JC 3 phono stage as sources. The front LR from the Cary is passed through the JC 2 to get to the JC 1 amps. For a long time, the 11a served as the processor/preamp in the setup, and sounded very good, but the JC 2 brought a new level of transparency. That said, the 11a and 12 are very good for both music and HT with quite a bit of flexibility, and they can process surround DSD via HDMI. I used the direct from Oppo to amp setup, but I prefer the sound and greater flexibility with the Cary in the loop. I recommend either the 11a or 12, but I prefer the 12.

PS: I buy almost exclusively pre-owned components at half MSRP or less.

db
witchdoctor likes this.
post #393 of 393 Old Today, 04:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
dbphd;

Your reply is exactly what I wanted to hear/know. Thank you.

I have a wonderfully sounding Simaudio cd that would be used in analog pass through and movies through hdmi.
A simple set up that should have no issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player