Pioneer VSX-920, no TV, front speakers only? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-21-2011, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone~ new AVS'r here!

I just bought this receiver & spent last night running/hooking up wire. Ran the sound test via included mic this morning- all good- all play.

Issues I have (this is my 1st AVR) is getting TV to play & also getting sound from the rest of the speakers. Right now, I have front L/R only.

I have a 6.1 speaker set (2front/1center/2rear/1-surround/sub). I checked the manual & it says the rears ought to play- even if only duplicating the fronts- but I've tried the PS3 (playing music), the WD Media player, and streams from my network (through PS3)- and while they play- it's only the front.

I can't get the TV on/nor to play through the speakers at all (reg broadcast TV-standard rooftop aerial)- but have a picture fine on it w/PS3/WD. I did go ahead and connect an optical wire between the AVR & TV so I could have TV's own sound even if the AVR was off. I have the PS3 & WD Media player hooked up via HDMI, I have a Wii & old Xbox hooked up via component. I have a HDMI cable going from the AVR "out" to the TV's HDMI1 "in".

I'm confused on the part where I need the PS3, for example, to be running "in" to AVR so it can be viewed on the TV (out from AVR to TV in)- but then it would seem I'd need the TV to also be running "in" on the AVR to get the TV's sound through the amp/speakers? Actually, I don't have a HDMI "out" on the TV anyway...

I know I must have something either plugged in wrong or a setting wrong- but I've been at it for 5 hours now and still can't figure it out. Oh- I've never set one up before (can you tell?)~

Help?

Pioneer VSX920/Hisense HL-40T28PZL LED/Audioclub S-208 6.1 speakers.

I took a pic of my AVR to show, but I can't put it here since this is my 1st post

Cheers & hope I haven't confused you all as much as I am now... T

Pioneer VSX-920 & Audioclub S- 208/6.1 speakers

40" LED flat screen television

PS3

Xbox (original)

Wii (original)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-22-2011, 02:16 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
First issue is your speaker setup ... with a 6.1 you would have F/C/R up front and 2 "side" surrounds (ie. SURROUND L/R), and a single "rear" surround (ie. SURROUND BACK L) so make sure they are connected correctly.

Re: PS3 (or any HDMI video source for that matter) .... The HDMI source will pass the audio to the AVR and the video to the TV through the AVR so there is no TV audio that needs to get back to the AVR.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 7 Old 05-22-2011, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, JD-

I'll check that & let you know...

PS3

Xbox (original)

Wii (original)
post #4 of 7 Old 05-22-2011, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter

I have front, L/R, center, rear L/R, surround (single- attached to appropriate terminals), & sub...

All test ok- I just re-ran it

PS3

Xbox (original)

Wii (original)
post #5 of 7 Old 05-22-2011, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Re: PS3 (or any HDMI video source for that matter) .... The HDMI source will pass the audio to the AVR and the video to the TV through the AVR so there is no TV audio that needs to get back to the AVR.

My query was TV through AVR-

How am I to hear TV audio through the AVR speakers? I use optical for sound & am experiencing a picture/sound problem where TV setting on avr doesn't show a picture?

PS3

Xbox (original)

Wii (original)
post #6 of 7 Old 05-22-2011, 11:26 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
Check the TV setting to make sure it is set to "external speakers" or something similar to that to activate the TV's optical out jack.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7 of 7 Old 05-26-2011, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekomatic View Post

Hi everyone~ new AVS'r here!

I just bought this receiver & spent last night running/hooking up wire. Ran the sound test via included mic this morning- all good- all play.

Issues I have (this is my 1st AVR) is getting TV to play & also getting sound from the rest of the speakers. Right now, I have front L/R only.

I have a 6.1 speaker set (2front/1center/2rear/1-surround/sub). I checked the manual & it says the rears ought to play- even if only duplicating the fronts- but I've tried the PS3 (playing music), the WD Media player, and streams from my network (through PS3)- and while they play- it's only the front.

I can't get the TV on/nor to play through the speakers at all (reg broadcast TV-standard rooftop aerial)- but have a picture fine on it w/PS3/WD. I did go ahead and connect an optical wire between the AVR & TV so I could have TV's own sound even if the AVR was off. I have the PS3 & WD Media player hooked up via HDMI, I have a Wii & old Xbox hooked up via component. I have a HDMI cable going from the AVR "out" to the TV's HDMI1 "in".

I'm confused on the part where I need the PS3, for example, to be running "in" to AVR so it can be viewed on the TV (out from AVR to TV in)- but then it would seem I'd need the TV to also be running "in" on the AVR to get the TV's sound through the amp/speakers? Actually, I don't have a HDMI "out" on the TV anyway...

I know I must have something either plugged in wrong or a setting wrong- but I've been at it for 5 hours now and still can't figure it out. Oh- I've never set one up before (can you tell?)~

Help?

Pioneer VSX920/Hisense HL-40T28PZL LED/Audioclub S-208 6.1 speakers.

I took a pic of my AVR to show, but I can't put it here since this is my 1st post

Cheers & hope I haven't confused you all as much as I am now... T

Went back thru it all.

Ended up re-running their mic & all is good now.

Thanks & maybe this post will help others- just shut down & re-detect speakers,

Cheers!

PS3

Xbox (original)

Wii (original)
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page