How do I verify - or debunk - the claims of The Upgrade Company? - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 1596 Old 07-16-2011, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Am I the only one who is amazed that TUC is literally able to modify any piece of audio equipment with invariably positive results? Or that no one has even seen photographs of the equipment and tools at his disposal with which he can diagnose circuitry?

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 1596 Old 07-16-2011, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
Wireless member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Faith-based mods?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- it's never done!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #333 of 1596 Old 07-16-2011, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddiodog View Post
DS also claims a more noticeable difference in the processor mods than the Oppo. So to determine if his mods can make an improvement or not, it stands to reason that you test the component it would be easiest to detect. if you can't determine the difference in the processor then the Oppo will be no argument.

I have to wonder why some folks are more interested in outing DS as a Charleton over proving his mods work. As a consumer, I have nothing to gain if DS's mods make no difference. If I bought his mods and was angry because I felt ripped off after testing the difference I could understand. But I haven't heard from anyone on thus forum that that us the case. If his mods do make the improvements I have lots to gain. For $800 I could get the sound I've been wishing for instead of having to pay $6000. As well, it would force the big companies to make more affordable better sounding gear. It would also show that they are the charletons who charge 90% more for 10% improvement in sound. Don't get me wrong. I don't know if his mods work or don't. I haven't heard or tested them so I rightfully have no opinion one way or the other.

I just want the truth about his mods as I'm no fan of wasting money. But I know which way I hope it works out.

If one hasn't heard his mods and is just lusting for blood, there are much bigger charletons to put energy into. Like our broken political system more intent on being in the white house and favoring the uber rich than working for the people.

Unless you are paid by one of the big companies to comment in these forums. Then at least I understand. It's your job and it's a free country where it's okay for big business to take advantage of people.

Otherwise it seems best to just find out and test as fairly and open minded as you can.
Charlatan from Charleston?

I named this thread "how do I verify or debunk" because that was and is my interest. Dropping $1500 into a $1500 piece of gear, i.e. the 5508, and having it best or equal a $7k unit is very appealing to me. OTOH, what piqued my interest was his claim that the 5508 is superior to the 80.2. If you know what those two units are, then you understand my underlying mindset.

Jeff

- it's never done!

post #334 of 1596 Old 07-16-2011, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
I guess the members here on AVS figured they would start small and take DS to the task. Then maybe move onto political system and the white house.
As long as that passes through Congress I am down with that.

- it's never done!

post #335 of 1596 Old 07-16-2011, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturephoto1 View Post

Also, and I do not want to make much of this, when Craig came back to my home and we had taken readings of the room (which has led to adding additional Acoustic Room treatments) and had run Audessey correctly for my upgraded Onkyo 885 and made some adjustments we sat and did some additional listening to my system. Granted, the room is different and so are the acoustic room treatments, the amps are different, the wiring and racks are different, the speakers and subwoofers are different, the Onkyo 885 was upgraded and so was the NuForce Edition Oppo 83SE. We listened to some cuts on CD both with my upgraded Denon 5910CI with my upgraded Lavry DA10 DAC as well as the upgraded NuForce Edition Oppo 83SE through the upgraded Lavry DA10 DAC as well as the upgraded NuForce Edition Oppo 83SE directly into the upgraded Onkyo 885. Craig was of the opinion that with the analog inputs the upgraded Lavry DA10 definitely improved the sound of either unit into the upgraded Onkyo 885 but he may have preferred (but wasn't sure at the time) of the upgraded Oppo directly into the upgraded Lavry DA10 DAC. As I recall for the playback of some of the material, including Foreplay Craig had indicated that he had never heard these tracks sound so good with either the analog (through the upgraded Lavry DA10 DAC) or direct digital inputs through HDMI into the upgraded Onkyo.

Rich
If you are saying that the measuring, the Audyssey calibration and the acoustical treatments have made a difference, then I can wholeheartedly agree as I have traveled the same path. Craig, Dennis and I all have.

In fact, I am with you on all that you mentioned, or at least find it plausible. But why mention the racks as being different?

Jeff

- it's never done!

post #336 of 1596 Old 07-16-2011, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post
Am I the only one who is amazed that TUC is literally able to modify any piece of audio equipment with invariably positive results? .......
And all this from a self-taught hobbyist! Earning himself top secret government contracts to boot!

Talk about an American success story. It's only a matter of time before he is the subject of a major magazine profile and possibly even a Hollywood screenplay. A certain Leonardo DiCaprio film comes to mind...

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #337 of 1596 Old 07-16-2011, 06:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post
And all this from a self-taught hobbyist! Earning himself top secret government contracts to boot!

Talk about an American success story. It's only a matter of time before he is the subject of a major magazine profile and possibly even a Hollywood screenplay. A certain Leonardo DiCaprio film comes to mind...
Must be something about him on WikiLeaks, no? Why IIRC, he once announced a detailed modification for a product that hadn't even been released.

What's the Leo movie? Catch Me If You Can?

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #338 of 1596 Old 07-16-2011, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Hmm, perhaps definitely maybe so.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #339 of 1596 Old 07-17-2011, 04:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Perhaps a 1961 film starring Tony Curtis is also relevant

Cheers,
SB
post #340 of 1596 Old 07-17-2011, 08:51 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Stohhp. You guys are cracking me up.

But don't you want to lay this to rest? The evidence is mounting sure. Cheers RUR for pointing us to that thread. But it's still all circumstantial. Impostors have indeed made their way through this world on the backs of others, but increasingly so have trusted authoritarians. I trust neither. DS's last recourse is to compare for yourself and offers a money back guarantee. So let's not let another one get away circumstantially or for that matter put another one away wrongly enriching the fat boys. Thanks Pepar for setting this in motion. And thanks to Nature for your willingness. Finish this by completing the comparison and try to stay neutral for the sake of leaving little room for argument if there is no difference.

post #341 of 1596 Old 07-17-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

As long as that passes through Congress I am down with that.

It's more like theater. They should create some sort of political Oscar show. Brought to you tonight by Lockeed Martin, Fannie Mae and Rupert Murdoch... it's The Policies! And now your hosts for the evening, two bills that will never pass, Bill O'Reilly and Bill Maher.

"For best posturing...."
"Top Rhetoric goes to..."
"And the Media Rouse award goes to..."
"Best writing..."
"The Weiner award goes to..."
"For election deception..."
"And the Straight Face award for consistency goes to ...."

post #342 of 1596 Old 07-17-2011, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
Wireless member

I'd like to see it hosted by Ron Paul and RuPaul.

Jeff

- it's never done!

post #343 of 1596 Old 09-01-2011, 04:19 AM

Liked: 11
The testing of the upgraded versus the stock units is not dead. Those of us that are participating are quite aware of what has happened.

But, to let everyone know, I had sent my upgraded Onkyo 885 and my upgraded NuForce Edition Oppo 83SE back to Dave Schulte for the latest upgrades. These upgrades were completed and both units were shipped back to me. The NuForce Oppo 83SE arrived in fine working order and to me it was apparent that there was improved performance.

Unfortunately, the upgraded Onkyo 885 was mishandled by UPS and the unit arrived damaged and not functioning (it would not turn on). It took sometime for UPS to conduct an initial inspection and then the unit was returned to Dave Schulte.

About a week after David received the unit I took a trip to David's and brought along my upgraded Denon 5910CI, upgraded Audio Research LS10, and my upgraded Lavry DA10 DAC. Before I left it was decided that I would either return with a functioning Onkyo 885 or a replacement with an upgraded Onkyo 5508. This was to be a grueling 820 mile 17 hour trip in both directions, but it would assure no damage to either Onkyo or any other equipment that was to be worked on. When I arrived, David showed me the insides of the upgraded Onkyo 885 and he showed me a cracked circuit board along with torn electrical traces which had been damaged in the shipment. There was additional damage. When I returned the unit to David, you could see a little damage to one of the corners of the outer of the double boxes and the Styrofoam insert for the unit had been broken in shipment. I had had to tape these together for return shipment.

While I was visiting David we decided that he could not repair the unit as it was and it would require part replacement to this at the very least. There is a claim in to UPS for the damage. In the meantime, we conducted additional work to my upgraded Denon 5910CI, ARC LS10, and Lavry DA10. David sent me home with the new upgraded Onkyo 5508.

I have now been home with the new upgraded Onkyo 5508 for a bit over a week along with the further upgraded Denon, upgraded ARC, and upgraded Lavry. At this point I probably have somewhere around 50 or possibly 60 hours of burn-in on the upgraded Onkyo 5508, but we will need at least 200 to 300 hours of burn in on the unit till we are comfortable enough to run the testing.

Now, rather the comparing a stock versus upgraded Onkyo 885 we will be comparing a stock versus upgraded 5508. Jeff has offered to use his 5508, but at present his unit has had to be sent off to Onkyo for repair.

So, that is how things stand at the moment and we will keep everyone apprised. I do apologize to everyone for this, but this has been a bit frustrating dealing with the damaged equipment and trying to get everything up and running and back on track.

As an aside, an acquaintance of mine on Blu-ray.com just let me know that he just recently had a similar problem with a damaged Onkyo 885 mishandled by FEDEX. They went round and round on getting the insurance claim filed. He had photos of the damaged and broken circuit board and FEDEX only paid half of the insured claim.

Rich

Richard A. Nelridge

post #344 of 1596 Old 09-01-2011, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
Wireless member

Quote:

Now, rather the comparing a stock versus upgraded Onkyo 885 we will be comparing a stock versus upgraded 5508. Jeff has offered to use his 5508, but at present his unit has had to be sent off to Onkyo for repair.

And I will be moving on getting that done this weekend.

Jeff

- it's never done!

post #345 of 1596 Old 09-04-2011, 02:12 AM

You know, I'm one of the first guys that's happy to read this test is continuing and hopes that the upgraded model clearly bests the stock model in SQ. As well, that the 5508 is now being tested.

That said, I am not so happy that a previously sold upgraded customer unit will no longer be tested. But instead a 5508 that DS knows will be tested for this forum before letting it go.

post #346 of 1596 Old 09-04-2011, 05:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:

...but we will need at least 200 to 300 hours of burn in on the unit till we are comfortable enough to run the testing.

I don't see why?

Nothing I know about electronics or physics and nothing I have read explains why the sound from electronics would improve by hundreds of hours of use.

That would imply, not only that critical changes occur to electronic components, but that the changes always improve sound. The corrolary is that electrical engineers cleverly make design choices with this in mind. Does your version of SPICE show this aspect of simulation??

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #347 of 1596 Old 09-05-2011, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
Wireless member

I say let owner of the modded unit do whatever he feels necessary to show his unit under the best possible circumstances.

Hi Rich!

- it's never done!

post #348 of 1596 Old 09-06-2011, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

I don't see why?

Nothing I know about electronics or physics and nothing I have read explains why the sound from electronics would improve by hundreds of hours of use.

That would imply, not only that critical changes occur to electronic components, but that the changes always improve sound. The corrolary is that electrical engineers cleverly make design choices with this in mind. Does your version of SPICE show this aspect of simulation??

There has been a lot of discussion on line and by manufacturers as to the length of time for the improvement in the audio performance by burn in.

As an example, as I recall, even Audio Research maker of many high end components indicates that many of their pieces of equipment sound best after about 600 hours of burn in. Many audiophiles agree with this from their listening experience. Krell and others also suggest hundreds of hours of burn in as well.

As to specifically the upgraded machines such as the upgraded Onkyo 5508 it has many parts that burn in at different rates and unless I am mistaken David has included some Black Gate Capacitors as some of the part replacement. So during burn in some parts may "sound better" and others sound worse at times during this burn-in period of time. So the effort is to have everything at or near optimum performance before a true assessment is made. As to specific comments regarding Black Gates, you can see some comments below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Gate_%28capacitor%29

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-...gate-caps.html

You may wish to argue this point, but as an aside and in relation to another project that I am involved with, Roger DiVito, in Reno, and I have have been working on upgraded Ampex hybrid 440C/B R2R tape decks. I am still awaiting the delivery of mine which is still in the process of being completed. Roger and I have had a tremendous number of the caps and the resistors changed out from the original parts for the machines that were built in the 1970s for both the reproduce and play back cards (the electronic parts are on removable cards). In any case, many of the parts included some very high end parts including black gates as well as a transformer. Roger did a lot of listening to his machine after taking delivery of his upgraded cards and he has been noticed a real change (and improvement) in the sound of the performance of the machines with the new parts from the original delivery to over 400 hours of playback.

Rich

Richard A. Nelridge

post #349 of 1596 Old 09-12-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:

You know, I'm one of the first guys that's happy to read this test is continuing and hopes that the upgraded model clearly bests the stock model in SQ. As well, that the 5508 is now being tested.

That said, I am not so happy that a previously sold upgraded customer unit will no longer be tested. But instead a 5508 that DS knows will be tested for this forum before letting it go.

Please understand, we would have made comparisons of the upgraded versus the stock Onkyo 885 units had a circuit board not been cracked and electrical traces been torn from the board as well as additional damage in the upgraded unit. We had also hoped that the upgraded 885 would possibly have been compared to a stock Onkyo 5508. But due to the damage and the length of time that it may have taken for the repair this just was not meant to be.

Also, as to the new 5508, it was just finished up the day that I arrived. It was prepared for TUC inventory, but since we were unable repair my UPS damaged 885 and we did not want to risk UPS breaking the 5508, Dave sent me home with a completed 5508. It is not any different inside then any other 5508 he upgrades. There is a detailed outline for each and every model The Upgrade Company upgrades, which is strictly adhered to.

At this point my upgraded Onkyo 5508 has approximately 80 hours of burn-in on it and you may think that I am imagining it, but I believe that I am not only hearing improved audio performance in my system (due all of the upgrades including the NuForce Oppo 83SE, the new upgraded Onkyo 5508, the new Audessey, and the system configuration), but also an improvement in the video performance on my Pioneer Elite Plasma TV.

Rich

Richard A. Nelridge

post #350 of 1596 Old 09-12-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

I don't see why?

I've wondered this too. As components age, my experience suggests things worsen in performance and eventually fail. How things improve is beyond me.
post #351 of 1596 Old 09-12-2011, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
Wireless member

Quote:

Rich's modded 885 (and some other already modded gear) went back for "the latest work" with DS' full knowledge that an A/B/X test was going to be done. So I don't see how the stock 5508 will be any further disadvantaged than the stock 885 would have been if we had gone that route. I mean, like what do we think David will do, gut it and put in an umpteen thousand dollar preamp?

If he does do that, and it blows the stock 5508 away ... as it well should, a few of us will be asking for the same "mods" to our 5508/80.2 units. If he balks, then we would know.

We are all trying to be fair and the non-modded-unit owners among us ... everyone except Rich .. are keeping an open mind. I must admit to having one foot in the "rolls eyes camp' when I hear some of the tweaks that people do to improve sound, but I am not cemented to being skeptical..

Jeff

- it's never done!

post #352 of 1596 Old 09-12-2011, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaraficionado View Post

I've wondered this too. As components age, my experience suggests things worsen in performance and eventually fail. How things improve is beyond me.

I don't understand either, but I trust my ears and the ears of me mates. If the modded unit sounds better, we will know it. Just what was done ... and why .. may remain beyond my understanding, but we will know if it made a difference.

Jeff

- it's never done!

post #353 of 1596 Old 09-12-2011, 06:43 PM

^^^

Fair enough.
post #354 of 1596 Old 09-13-2011, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I don't understand either, but I trust my ears and the ears of me mates. If the modded unit sounds better, we will know it. Just what was done ... and why .. may remain beyond my understanding, but we will know if it made a difference.

Jeff

Jeff,

Have your "ears and the ears of me mates" been modded and upgraded or do they remain as issued by your maker

Of course I'm teasing, but I just couldn't resist a jab at what I consider audio hocus-pocus

Cheers,
The ever sceptical SB
post #355 of 1596 Old 09-13-2011, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hello,
While I am spurious of any massive gains that can be achieved by having a Component modded by somewhere like TUC, it cannot hurt to use much higher quality Parts in an age where it seems the absolute cheapest possible Capacitors, IDE Cables, and many other things are being employed by Manufacturers to offset the HDMI Era.

Personally, I would like to see a Company that specializes in changing out the cheapest and most prone to fail Parts in AVR's and other AV Gear. And by promoting longevity and not charging insane prices, I really think it could become a viable business.
Cheers,
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #356 of 1596 Old 09-13-2011, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotcheckBilly View Post

Jeff,

Have your "ears and the ears of me mates" been modded and upgraded or do they remain as issued by your maker

Of course I'm teasing, but I just couldn't resist a jab at what I consider audio hocus-pocus

Cheers,
The ever sceptical SB

Completely understood.

- it's never done!

post #357 of 1596 Old 09-13-2011, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

There has been a lot of discussion on line and by manufacturers as to the length of time for the improvement in the audio performance by burn in.

As an example, as I recall, even Audio Research maker of many high end components indicates that many of their pieces of equipment sound best after about 600 hours of burn in. Many audiophiles agree with this from their listening experience. Krell and others also suggest hundreds of hours of burn in as well.

Rich

Audio Research is a big company, they should be able to figure out why it takes their products 600 hours to operate correctly.

Kevin
post #358 of 1596 Old 09-14-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post

Audio Research is a big company, they should be able to figure out why it takes their products 600 hours to operate correctly.

You may wish to read the link below, particularly the last entry in this thread:

http://www.audioaficionado.org/mcint...9805-burn.html

Rich

Richard A. Nelridge

post #359 of 1596 Old 09-14-2011, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
Wireless member

Still trying to sort out what's happening here. Do these parts need burnin before they perform to spec? Or do they perform better than spec after burnin? Is the supporting circuitry designed for everything to be burnt in before the whole enchilada performs at its best?

Jeff

- it's never done!

post #360 of 1596 Old 09-14-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:

Still trying to sort out what's happening here. Do these parts need burnin before they perform to spec? Or do they perform better than spec after burnin? Is the supporting circuitry designed for everything to be burnt in before the whole enchilada performs at its best?

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I am pretty sure that all of the parts perform at spec right after installation and being used.

You have to understand, that the parts used, particularly for hi end equipment were not necessarily designed or intended for this usage. The different parts have different characteristics (audible) even though parts of similar design and equal value are used and substituted either by the designer, DIY, modder, etc. Given time the sound of the unit becomes more open, with better resolution, better imaging, overall sound, etc.

And to the naysayer that feels that modding of equipment by Dave Schulte, or any other company does not have any affect on the sound, consider that many manufacturers, including companies like Audio Research may come out with a Mark II as an example with replacement parts, etc. installed in the circuitry. The 2 versions of the same machine will often sound different. Also, during the course of the run of many audio products, the machine may well go through revision and changes, and as mentioned as an example a Mark II version may come at the end of such revisions during a run of a piece of equipment.

Rich

Richard A. Nelridge

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page