Output to speakers AND 3.5mm headphone jack - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-30-2011, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an Onkyo RC-270 (which does have pre-outs FWIW). I am trying to accomplish something that I thought would be relatively simple. I basically want to be able to output whatever the receiver is playing to BOTH the speakers and a 3.5mm standard headphone jack.

My main goal is to add one of these to my setup in conjunction with a bluetooth speaker.
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...umber=HWSBTA2W

I want to be able to listen to the SAME thing on the speakers and on my little bluetooth speaker (logitech z515 if it matters). I don't need to listen to different things. Can I somehow accomplish this with the pre-outs? Do I need an amplifier? I don't think the headphone jack will work because my understanding is if I plug something into that I will be disabling the speakers.

Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-30-2011, 08:59 PM

Apparently you've never seen one of these before...
http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CMR206-St...6814293&sr=1-4

Use that between the pre-out and your wireless speaker sender.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-31-2011, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

I guess the question is, will I need an amplifier if I am using the pre-outs or does it not matter. Also, are the pre-outs capable of sending ALL receiver audio (regardless of whether or not the source is analog or digital)?

Thanks!
post #4 of 7 Old 05-31-2011, 07:22 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
The "preouts" that will accomplish what you want are the Zone 2 preouts or the VCR/DVR Out jacks rather than the multi channel preouts which should not be used when the same speakers (ie. FL/FR) are also being used. The Zone 2 and analog VCR/DVR Out will pass "analog only" inputs. Based on the description of the speaker, it is powered, so does not need an amp, and although you could connect the speaker itself directly to the AVR with a 3.5mm to RCA adapter cable, it should also work the same way connecting the bluetooth transmitter to the AVR in the same fashion.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 7 Old 05-31-2011, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help! Your post is one thing I have been concerned about. According to my manual:

Quote:
When choosing a connection format, bear in mind that the
AV receiver does not convert digital input signals for analog
line outputs and vice versa. For example, audio signals
connected to an optical or coaxial digital input are not output
by the analog VCR/DVR OUT.

The inputs I want to pass through to the bluetooth transmitter are all digital (HDMI). I didn't think this would be such a huge challenge. I know I can just try it out but I don't want to sink in the money if it's not going to work.

Sounds like the PRE OUT is my best option since it seems it will output everything (digital or analog). I think.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-31-2011, 08:50 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
The Onkyo Owner's manual does not indicate any issue using the preouts while also using the matching speaker posts, so yes, that would seem to be the best configuration to pass the HDMI audio to the Logitech speaker.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7 of 7 Old 12-27-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin2375 View Post

Thanks for the help! Your post is one thing I have been concerned about. According to my manual:

The inputs I want to pass through to the bluetooth transmitter are all digital (HDMI). I didn't think this would be such a huge challenge. I know I can just try it out but I don't want to sink in the money if it's not going to work.

Sounds like the PRE OUT is my best option since it seems it will output everything (digital or analog). I think.

Did you get this to work? I have an Onkyo TX-NR809 that i am trying to accomplish the exact same thing. Zone 2 will not work because the audio is coming in via HDMI. When i try to hook up to the multichannel L/R Pre-outs i dont get any sound. Is there a trick you have to do to get them to output sound?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page