The "OFFICIAL" Onkyo RC270, NR708,NR808, NR1008, NR5008, Integra 80.2 Failure Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1697 Old 07-05-2011, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
1. Model Integra DTR-80.2
2. Purchase Date or approximate date MAR 2011
3. Place where purchased NC
4. First symptom to appear REMOTE DID NOT WORK
5. How long after purchase until first symptom appeared? APPROX 1 MONTH
6. Was the symptom consistent or intermittent? CONSISTENT, BUT WOULD DO RANDOM
7. Which symptom(s) (listed above) are you experiencing? UNRESPONSIVE FACE PANEL
8. If you have contacted Onkyo, and sent in your unit for repair, what where you told the problem is/was? SO FAR, I HAVE ONLY CONTACTED THE DEALER
9. If your unit was repaired did the problem come back, if so how long did it take to reappear? TO BE CONTINUED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1697 Old 07-05-2011, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

Of course it is worth the trip, it comes with a two year warranty. So just why would you not want to use the warranty if needed?

Or just take it to the nearest servicecenter....
post #363 of 1697 Old 07-05-2011, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi ---k---, to get a better idea of the place suggest calling all three to ask them if they are aware of the problem.

Betterer yet....call one of the local Integra dealers and ask them which shop they take their products to for repair...that's where u take yours !
post #364 of 1697 Old 07-05-2011, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Wonder if your listening mode presets were reset when they repaired the unit...

Nothing need be defaulted either before nor after the repair is made.
post #365 of 1697 Old 07-06-2011, 01:22 PM

1. Model: Integra DHC 80.2
2. Purchased on: 06/09/11 Refurbished Unit
3. Purchased from: eBay Vendor
4. First sign of trouble: Remote not responding
5. Lifespan until first problem: 1 week
6. Problem frequency: Consistent as long as unit is left in Stand by mode
7. Description: Unit is unresponsive to remote or front panel. Only responds after a power plug pull for 4 hours. Unit automatically switches to DVR input.
8. Onkyo support history: Spoke with support and are sending out a prepaid FedEx form
9. Resolution: Pending
post #366 of 1697 Old 07-06-2011, 06:31 PM

1. Model: 708
2. Purchase date: March 8th, 2011
3. Purchased from: Newegg.com
4. Purchase Date: March 15th, 2011
5. First sign of trouble: after 2 weeks
6. Problem frequency: First intermittent, now consistent. Unit is useless.
7. Description: Complete freeze and lockup. Only way to shut off is unplugging. Clearing memory doesnt work.
8. Onkyo support history: Spoke with tech support (20 minute hold) and they are sending me a prepaid Fedex box.
9. Resolution: Pending

I am incredibly disappointed in Onkyo. I have only used the unit maximum 10 hours and it is completely useless now. Only way to turn it off is to unplug it. I have heard great things about this company but its not living up to my expectations.

I hope to get my money back and get a Yamaha. Ive had a great 7.1 Yamaha receiver for 5 years and it never failed me.
post #367 of 1697 Old 07-06-2011, 08:28 PM

1. NR708
2. 8/20/10
3. Amazon
4. Remote seemed to die, but changed batteries no help, other remote not working right, so guessing IR on receiver
5. 11 months
6. Seems to be consistent
7. IR problems
8. Not yet
9. NA

I like this receiver too, so sad to have it start to give me issues already
post #368 of 1697 Old 07-07-2011, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Wonder if your listening mode presets were reset when they repaired the unit...

Uh...nope. I haven't received the unit back from repair yet.
post #369 of 1697 Old 07-07-2011, 12:29 PM

hey i posted on Onkyo USA's facebook and they gave me a link, but I don't have enough posts to put a url yet, but it was a press release about the issues on 6/21/11!
post #370 of 1697 Old 07-07-2011, 12:56 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by haastyle View Post

hey i posted on Onkyo USA's facebook and they gave me a link, but I don't have enough posts to put a url yet, but it was a press release about the issues on 6/21/11!

http://www.onkyousa.com/press_releases.cfm?id=215
post #371 of 1697 Old 07-07-2011, 12:59 PM

Liked: 11
I am ordering the 809 just for that reason so good luck to everybody who has the problems
post #372 of 1697 Old 07-07-2011, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Just got a 270 repaired by All Brite TV in Houston, TX. 36 hour turnaround.
post #373 of 1697 Old 07-07-2011, 01:40 PM

I still wonder why people are continuing to bash Onkyo. If you bought from a B&M, most of those stores have been preemptively calling customers.

Of my direct clients that have been affected by this(of which, I don't SELL anything, I make recommendations that fit a room design and use of product), the furniture store I do most of my work with(and is also responsible for 60% of my Onkyo recommendations), here is their solution...

1. We will call you and say "Your receiver may have a problem".
2. If said problem comes up...
a. We will give you the option of a "loaner" to use while yours is gone.
b. We will sell you the new X09 variant(when available) at 50% and repair the Onkyo, then re-sell it in store when it arrives.

They do sell pre-owned merchandise(as in they take trade ins).
post #374 of 1697 Old 07-07-2011, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post

I still wonder why people are continuing to bash Onkyo. If you bought from a B&M, most of those stores have been preemptively calling customers.

Of my direct clients that have been affected by this(of which, I don't SELL anything, I make recommendations that fit a room design and use of product), the furniture store I do most of my work with(and is also responsible for 60% of my Onkyo recommendations), here is their solution...

1. We will call you and say "Your receiver may have a problem".
2. If said problem comes up...
a. We will give you the option of a "loaner" to use while yours is gone.
b. We will sell you the new X09 variant(when available) at 50% and repair the Onkyo, then re-sell it in store when it arrives.

They do sell pre-owned merchandise(as in they take trade ins).

What retailer is this? This is the kind of retailer i would buy from exclusively
post #375 of 1697 Old 07-08-2011, 12:06 PM

Onkyo's entire line being faulty is a huge black-eye on its reputation. I really don't care of the cause (3rd party components or not) because ultimately, Onkyo is responsible. These are products that rely heavily on reviews and public opinion. Not all purchases by customers are thoughtless (no research) or financially easy. Most people buying higher end equipment do thorough research and brand/feature comparisons.

Onkyo service and head offices REALLY needs to step up and make customers happy. IMHO I wouldn't be happy for a month old unit to fail and then to find out it is a common problem. I expect a warranty to kick-in for un-common problems, not a mass-manufacturing issue.

IMHO if I was to have known about the issues here prior, I would have gone with a different brand simply for the initial fact of being without a unit for an unknown amount of time and what appears customer frustration on resolving the fault.

For me, a 1 month old unit developing a problem (a common problem where bulletins are issued) and accepting a repair is not acceptable to me. I didn't buy a soon-to-be 'refurbished' unit or a 'we will fix it when it fails because it will' promise. It is knowing that it is destined to fail, and probably when you are hosting or on a holiday.

I want to know if this failure causes high internal voltages, IC stresses, or other factors that may eventually damage other components. I would be more gracious if Onkyo either extended the warranty for these models and/or replaced them with other models. Having a unit and waiting for it to break is certainly not acceptable purchases in my opinion. Whould you do that for a car, fridge, washer? Just waiting for it to break, knowing it will, and having a promise to fix is not going to have me as a second time customer.

I understand things break, but knowing it will due to manufacturing processes and/or cheap supplier choices isn't my problem, but it is now I am an Onkyo owner.
post #376 of 1697 Old 07-08-2011, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

It looks like Onkyo is stepping up. 10 minutes on hold and then I got a guy with a heavy accent, but I told him the problem and he asked me if I had the box. They are sending me a FedEx label. No arguing at all.

I'm still a little dissapointed and angry, but crap happens.

They also offered me some points or something, whatever that is....
post #377 of 1697 Old 07-08-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisFranz View Post
Onkyo's entire line being faulty is a huge black-eye on its reputation. I really don't care of the cause (3rd party components or not) because ultimately, Onkyo is responsible. These are products that rely heavily on reviews and public opinion. Not all purchases by customers are thoughtless (no research) or financially easy. Most people buying higher end equipment do thorough research and brand/feature comparisons.

Onkyo service and head offices REALLY needs to step up and make customers happy. IMHO I wouldn't be happy for a month old unit to fail and then to find out it is a common problem. I expect a warranty to kick-in for un-common problems, not a mass-manufacturing issue.

IMHO if I was to have known about the issues here prior, I would have gone with a different brand simply for the initial fact of being without a unit for an unknown amount of time and what appears customer frustration on resolving the fault.

For me, a 1 month old unit developing a problem (a common problem where bulletins are issued) and accepting a repair is not acceptable to me. I didn't buy a soon-to-be 'refurbished' unit or a 'we will fix it when it fails because it will' promise. It is knowing that it is destined to fail, and probably when you are hosting or on a holiday.

I want to know if this failure causes high internal voltages, IC stresses, or other factors that may eventually damage other components. I would be more gracious if Onkyo either extended the warranty for these models and/or replaced them with other models. Having a unit and waiting for it to break is certainly not acceptable purchases in my opinion. Whould you do that for a car, fridge, washer? Just waiting for it to break, knowing it will, and having a promise to fix is not going to have me as a second time customer.

I understand things break, but knowing it will due to manufacturing processes and/or cheap supplier choices isn't my problem, but it is now I am an Onkyo owner.

DennisFranz,

I agree with you 100% about this being a complete line failure. I tried to express that same opinion several pages back, I just got flamed, so I didn't pursue the matter any farther.

As you state, this is not just some type of fluke that might happen to a few receivers here and there. It seems like it's eventually going to be all of xx8 line. And yes, it may be covered by the warranty, but for what this receiver cost, I shouldn't have to go to the hassle of getting it repaired after a month or two of use.

Yes, I think Onkyo should replace the defective receivers with new ones, fix the defective ones and sell them as refurbished. We're ending up with a refurbished receiver that we bought at the full retail price.

That aside, couldn't Onkyo at least just send out the parts with instructions on how to fix the matter, rather than having to send it away for several weeks? Over the years, I have replaced every single part on several of my PCs. I should be able to handle this repair if it just involves replacing some cables, which seems to be the case.

While I'm here, I do have one question. Yesterday I started noticing that when my TX-NR808 automatically changes modes (while watching cable), instead of a click, it is now sounding like a snap or a spark sound (like a short circuit sound). Is this the beginning of this failure, or what something different?

Thanks
post #378 of 1697 Old 07-08-2011, 01:57 PM

Liked: 15
I don't "replace" electronics much, but then I don't feel the need for "upgrades" very much either. This was my first, true, dedicated home theater receiver. I've followed computer/audio/video/digital media progress closely over the last several years. Time has a way of making the "new" rather obsolete quickly, but that has the advantage of trickle-down. Which means that waiting has a way of giving more bang for the buck. I wonder if I should have been more patient
I did love my 708. I was gunning for 11.3 and seriously considered spending 2-3K on AVR/Amp combo. But I have always had a champagne appetite on my beer budget. Then I found my 708. Does what I want (minus HD radio without an adaptor) just not all at the same time (7.2 plus height & wide). I could live with that, and I could live with the price. I had waited such a very long time, I pulled the trigger and didn't look back! Better than anticipated. Amazing. Fantastic.
I'm here not to bash the product or the company just to vent my disappointment. I'm now waiting for my shipping label, so I can wait for the hopeful correction to be made. This makes a very big hole in my AV stand. That hole is what makes the equipment in it perform at their potential. My disappointment is as profound as my anticipation was (as I set it up) and as deep as my appreciation for what it has done (and no longer does). It is frustrating to say the least. It also could be an embarrassment for some, that put out the bucks, only so have the centerpiece of their system fail so catastrophically. That might be what you are hearing here from other disgruntled owners.
I hope the wait is short. I did spend about 20 minutes on hold when I phoned the number on the press release but that was for parts. The tech I spoke with asked about the reset, told him it didn't work. He asked if I had the box, told him no. He transferred me to parts after he gave me the case number, and they are sending the shipping label with a box for me to send it to Denver. I asked if it could be repaired at a local shop and he told me that this had to go to a regional center. Also got a phone number for the Denver shop so I can get updates on my repairs.
Sorry about the rant I just had to get that off my chest. To recap
Model: TX-NR 708
Purchase: 1/6/11
Install: 1/31/11
First symptoms: change to Cbl/Sat when turned on (remote working), late May early June(while unit was in standby mode, set to VCR/DVR on power down)
Frequency: intermittent/occasionally
Next Symptom: Stitching to Cbl/Sat while in use playing Wii on Father's Day (with game plugged into component input on TV) TV would switch to HDMI 1 (AVR) is this the neighbor changing channels with his remote???
Frequency: about 6 or 7 times in about 2.5 hours playing time.
Note: changed my Comcast DVR from VCR/DVR input to Cbl/|Sat input at this point.
Next Symptom: Spontaneously powering on. (Could have occurred earlier, not sure since Cbl/Sat input wasn't hooked up to anything till I changed to Cbl/Sat.) Started occurring within 1 week of input changes.
Frequency: 3-4 times per day had the best luck keeping the unit off if powered down by pressing the receiver's On/Standby button. (Remote still worked powering down the unit, but it would pop back on within 3-5 minutes.) TV remained off, audio heard for what was coming thru cable box to AVR.
Next Symptom: Rapid changing of listening modes, remote & AVR locked-up, only way to power down was to pull the plug (Occurred Sat 7/2, and that evening I found this thread!)
Addendum: Left unplugged for 48 hours, worked for about 40 minutes till it seized up again and was unplugged. Tried again 24 hours later, this time with a reset, worked about 30 min before crapping out.
Support: Contacted this morning, awaiting delivery of shipping box and label for sending to Denver Regional Center for repairs/replacement parts.
Resolution: I only hope they got the real cause worked out and we all won't be doing this again 6 months from now I am hopeful, but we shall see.

PS. last few posts got out while I was composing this... I also agree with those thoughts, I just didn't want to make this any longer including those opinions and thoughts
post #379 of 1697 Old 07-08-2011, 02:35 PM

So, none of you ever buys a car?

How many safety recalls have been issued on...

Mercedes-Benz(Freightliner)?
Ford(Mazda/Mercury/Lincoln)?
Volvo?
Chrysler(Dodge/Jeep)?
Toyota(Lexus)?
Nissan(Infinity)?
GM?
Saab?
Subaru?

Lately???

I took my wifes Subaru Forester in for a recall last month, while there found out about 2 more recalls that were issued...yet hadn't seen the notice in the mail.

My 2003 Ford F250 diesel has a "constant" recall on it. Basically, as long as I own the truck...I don't have to pay for glow plugs(and the requisite "tune-up"...).

Electronics failures happen. Get over it.
post #380 of 1697 Old 07-08-2011, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

Volvo?
Chrysler(Dodge/Jeep)?
Toyota(Lexus)?
Nissan(Infinity)?
GM?
Saab?
Subaru?

Lately???

I took my wifes Subaru Forester in for a recall last month, while there found out about 2 more recalls that were issued...yet hadn't seen the notice in the mail.

My 2003 Ford F250 diesel has a "constant" recall on it. Basically, as long as I own the truck...I don't have to pay for glow plugs(and the requisite "tune-up"...).

Seriously, this is your defense of Onkyo? Seriously?
post #381 of 1697 Old 07-08-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:

Volvo?
Chrysler(Dodge/Jeep)?
Toyota(Lexus)?
Nissan(Infinity)?
GM?
Saab?
Subaru?

Lately???

If this happened in court, you would have lost, what a terrible defense and comparing a car to a receiver is idiotic
post #382 of 1697 Old 07-08-2011, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDFreaker View Post

If this happened in court, you would have lost, what a terrible defense and comparing a car to a receiver is idiotic

You guys are losing sight of the fact Onkyo is standing behind the units. Not saying I am happy about the issue, but at least they are taking care of customers that have been affected.

post #383 of 1697 Old 07-08-2011, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDFreaker View Post

Not idiotic... the Modern AVR is not just a switchbox with a radio and some built-in amps anymore.

You guys are acting like Onkyo did this intentionally. It was a screw-up that took a few months to manifest itself. It sucks to have the problem, but Onkyo is doing the right thing.

post #384 of 1697 Old 07-08-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita View Post

Not idiotic... the Modern AVR is not just a switchbox with a radio and some built-in amps anymore.

You guys are acting like Onkyo did this intentionally. It was a screw-up that took a few months to manifest itself. It sucks to have the problem, but Onkyo is doing the right thing.

Ohhh now it makes sense, my apologies, you are right though
post #385 of 1697 Old 07-08-2011, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Hello,
After going almost 2 Months without an HDMI AVR when my TX-NR3007's HDMI Board stopped processing video and then a nightmare of Service Center issues where they told me the AVR was ready only to find out that when I picked it up, it now had the polar opposite problem for which I took it in for Repair in the first place, (now I had video but not audio via HDMI)
I can truly sympathize with those who feel burned or turned off by Onkyo.

All I can say is at least with this issue, Onkyo has acknowledged the issue and will Repair it regardless of where it was Purchased and if it is out of Warranty as some Refurbished AVR's would now start to be.

I now have a TX-NR3008 that while it was Shipping I did ponder whether to Sell. Especially as I only use AVR's as Preamp Processors. However, as my TX-SR805 and 875 that I locally sold to friends are going strong almost 5 years later, I am willing to give Onkyo one more shot.

I realize there are many people who have been affected by this to the point that Onkyo would acknowledge it. And I realize that the 3008 I just received Wednesday could at any time fall victim to the very issues on this Thread. All I know that if it does, this time I will be done with the Brand. I am hoping as it is a very late Build that hopefully it will not have the problems that so many here have had to experience.
After going close to 2 Months primarily due to the local Authorized Service Center's issues, all I can say is I have been there.
Cheers,
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #386 of 1697 Old 07-08-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:

Volvo?
Chrysler(Dodge/Jeep)?
Toyota(Lexus)?
Nissan(Infinity)?
GM?
Saab?
Subaru?

Lately???

You people must work for Onkyo.
THIS IS NOT AN ELECTRONICS FAILURE! It's a defective line of receivers.
There is absolutely no excuse for this xx8 line failure. Let's have some real solutions from Onkyo, instead of excuses. "It's under warranty" is not a solution, just an excuse.

I am so disappointed I spent all this money on this receiver. It will be many years before I will be able to afford spending that much money again on any AV equipment.
Like others, I did my research and thought I chose the best.
post #387 of 1697 Old 07-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 131
It is pointless for those of us who might be annoyed or even angry but understanding to engage those who are clearly seeing inexcusable conspiracy theories and, somehow, maliciousness. And it is equally pointless for the latter to try to convince the former that they are wrong. But, hey, that's the way these forums work.

Jeff
post #388 of 1697 Old 07-08-2011, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkspotted View Post

There is absolutely no excuse for this xx8 line failure. Let's have some real solutions from Onkyo, instead of excuses. "It's under warranty" is not a solution, just an excuse.

Onkyo investigated the problem, devised a solution and is servicing units even if they are out of warranty. WHAT MORE are they supposed to be doing? Some of you need to get a grip on reality, every company has released a defective product at one point or another, and Onkyo is handling theirs better than most I've dealt with.
post #389 of 1697 Old 07-08-2011, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Let me pose a question - what bearing did this thread and my post about the connectors have on Onkyo issuing the press release, if any?
post #390 of 1697 Old 07-09-2011, 05:51 AM

I'm wondering if Onkyo will allow a unit to be sent in PRIOR to the failure as a preemptive fix for the eventual failure. This way downtime failures are scheduled. I expect Onkyo repair would be flooded so I can wait even longer for my 2 month old new 'refurbished' unit back from a more lengthy repair time-frame.

'Recalls' are one thing, failures are another. How happy would you be if your only 'recalled' vehicle sat dead in your driveway after only 2 months of ownership. Repairs entail shipping it back to the manufacturer. If you start explaining, well I'd get a loaner/rental or this ain't a car, then don't make the comparison. They have my $1K and product and I have neither.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Nr717 , Onkyo Tx Nr906 , Onkyo Brand , Onkyo Tx Nr414 , Onkyo Tx Nr515 , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Onkyo Tx Nr807 , Onkyo Ht Rc270 , Onkyo Tx Nr708 , Onkyo Tx Nr808 , Onkyo Tx Nr1008
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page