The "OFFICIAL" Onkyo RC270, NR708,NR808, NR1008, NR5008, Integra 80.2 Failure Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1697 Old 07-13-2011, 01:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks- but I'll just bite the bullet and fix it my self!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRK View Post

Call again. A different rep might help you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1697 Old 07-13-2011, 07:03 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkey View Post

As by current marketing data and press reports Onkyo outsells Denon (without the Marantz brand) for some time already in terms of units sold worldwide. Denon lost market share (and its lead) due to this.

Quote:

...GfK figures show that more people chose to buy Onkyo receivers in 2010 than any other.
Indeed, Onkyo even managed to increase its market share from 27.6 per cent in 2009 to 29 per cent last year...

IMO, Denon has become just a bit "too proud" of their upper-mid and high end products. E.g., selling a $7500 pre/pro into a market where a $2300 competitor is arguably equivalent is bone-headed and conceited.

Onkyo/Integra ate Denon's lunch with this last product cycle and I applaud them for it.

Jeff
post #453 of 1697 Old 07-13-2011, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

IMO, Denon has become just a bit "too proud" of their upper-mid and high end products. E.g., selling a $7500 pre/pro into a market where a $2300 competitor is arguably equivalent is bone-headed and conceited.

Let's not forget either Denon trying to sell a Cat5e cable branded DenonLink with an astronomical markup.

Sure Onkyo has had some problems but they also forced Denon and other CE to put the HD audio codecs on their lower cost units much more quickly than other new techs which typically followed the trickle down model.

post #454 of 1697 Old 07-13-2011, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I always thought onkyo, like most people, would enjoy the sound of onkyo over most other mass market AVRs, but after hanging around this forum the bone head denon believers make you think otherwise. Thanks for the facts. These days the only plus denon has is there units have deluxe Audyssey software packages were as onkyo uses Audyssey light. I always enjoyed the way onkyo sounds over the other units in there price range and I had most of them at one time or another over the years. To bad some of you are having problems with your units. But now adays things are just not built to last like they use tobe. The trend seems to be onkyos QC is going down abit, so where you buy maybe a big factor, refurbs and gray market units may have alot to do with it.
post #455 of 1697 Old 07-13-2011, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, hardware reset, because the chips will be reset to their initial power-on state and the firmware will boot, after the unit has been plugged in again and electrical power reestablished to the internal power supply. It's the same like it is on a computer platform.
In "normal" operation (remote control) the system stays on in energy reduced standby mode.
The so called "soft" or software reset will default all settings to their initial factory default settings as supplied by the manufacturer, thus replacing (overwriting) all individual calibration parameters and personal preference settings with the default settings.

I've never heard anyone say "hardware boot" before. Unless it is something in the a/v receiver arena. In computer lingo -- a "hard" boot is cutting all power (powering down entirely, then powering back on) and a "soft" boot is when you don't (restarting without powering down entirely (like START/SHUTDOWN/RESTART on a PC). Hard, or "cold". Soft, or "warm". Don't think you can do a "warm" re-boot on this receiver, so unplugging it would be a "cold" re-boot.

Resetting the unit is something entirely different than the two methods of booting described above.

Rebooting the unit doesn't "reset" anything, it will clear memory - but that's about irrelevant.
So the previous poster should say to the tech is - "I cold booted the unit, because I unplugged it from the wall, then plugged it back in."
Doing a "reset" would require manual steps, utilizing the front control panel of the reciever.

---------------------------------------
post #456 of 1697 Old 07-13-2011, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Onkyo/Integra ate Denon's lunch with this last product cycle and I applaud them for it.

Jeff

More like Onkyo/Integra cooked Denon's lunch with the last product

Not sure where you find such a significant difference between the most recent releases from Onkyo and Denon - they seem fairly feature equivalent. At this point, AVR's have been commoditized. The only significant differences (to me) are the choice of EQ solution.

As for the POA - flagships are never great values, but then again, no one is forced to buy one...
post #457 of 1697 Old 07-13-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by me262 View Post

Mine Failed.
TX-NR1008
Bought a few weeks ago on amazon warehouse deal

Sent it in for repair(shipping on my own dime). The repair place that I sent it to has been really nice. They explained exactly what the problem has been with my unit and why it happened, they fixed it as of Thursday but have kept it for testing to make sure that there is nothing else wrong. It should ship out today or tomorrow and come back. Overall honestly not the worst experience in the world but I also paid sub 700 including the shipping out for repair for a unit that is in flawless condition otherwise. If I had paid full price this would not have been acceptable.

Did you try contacting Onkyo and see if they would supply a label. I also purchased with Amazon Warehouse and I'm trying to see which route I'll need to go if mine fails (knock on wood). I registered mine and I'm thinking they'll just give me a label if i complain. I'm in San Antonio so I don't know how much shipping would be to Houston.
post #458 of 1697 Old 07-14-2011, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evik1067 View Post

Did you try contacting Onkyo and see if they would supply a label. I also purchased with Amazon Warehouse and I'm trying to see which route I'll need to go if mine fails (knock on wood). I registered mine and I'm thinking they'll just give me a label if i complain. I'm in San Antonio so I don't know how much shipping would be to Houston.

why ship it to Houston ? call the local Onkyo/Integra dealers there and ask what local servicenter they take their product to...ANY authorized servicenter can perform the repair. Should run u about 45-55. frt + full ins to ship. U can bring it to us in CC and enjoy some fishing in Rockport or Port Aransas.
post #459 of 1697 Old 07-14-2011, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I am listening to Denon bashing on an ONKYO failure thread of all places as though it is relevant to OUR Onkyo problems. If some of you take solace in bashing Denon on this thread, then you have your priorities a little misplaced.

I'm am a long time Denon owner and I've never experienced an issue with any of my Denon AVRs. I also use to own Integra separates about 20+ years ago without issue. I know some of us have biases, but don't let them tilt common sense. We have an Onkyo problem and NOT a Denon problem. There are just as many happy Denon owners as there are Onkyo owners. Also, there are Onkyo owners who won't buy Denon and vice a versa.

As far as the current crop of AVRs from most manufacturers; they are more alike than different. I presently own a Denon AVR-A100 and an Onkyo TX-NR5008. They both have their strengths and weaknesses which I will not go into. Unfortunately, the unit (TX-NR5008) with significantly less hours on it is in for service since June 10.

I am not going to swear off buying Onkyo products, but that is subject to change if they screw up this repair. The bottom line is manufacturers will have a bad run of products periodically, but what is more important is how they handle its resoution.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #460 of 1697 Old 07-14-2011, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

I am listening to Denon bashing on an ONKYO failure thread of all places as though it is relevant to OUR Onkyo problems. If some of you take solace in bashing Denon on this thread, then you have your priorities a little misplaced.

I'm am a long time Denon owner and I've never experienced an issue with any of my Denon AVRs. I also use to own Integra separates about 20+ years ago without issue. I know some of us have biases, but don't let them tilt common sense. We have an Onkyo problem and NOT a Denon problem. There are just as many happy Denon owners as there are Onkyo owners. Also, there are Onkyo owners who won't buy Denon and vice a versa.

As far as the current crop of AVRs from most manufacturers; they are more alike than different. I presently own a Denon AVR-A100 and an Onkyo TX-NR5008. They both have their strengths and weaknesses which I will not go into. Unfortunately, the unit (TX-NR5008) with significantly less hours on it is in for service since June 10.

I am not going to swear off buying Onkyo products, but that is subject to change if they screw up this repair. The bottom line is manufacturers will have a bad run of products periodically, but what is more important is how they handle its resoution.

Excellent way to get back on topic. Agreed 100%. No one has said that any AVR is perfect and none have failures. At this time this thread IS dedicated to the failure rate of the thread make and models.
post #461 of 1697 Old 07-14-2011, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

Excellent way to get back on topic. Agreed 100%. No one has said that any AVR is perfect and none have failures. At this time this thread IS dedicated to the failure rate of the thread make and models.

When your right your right, just like to say my 3007 has over 5200 hours on the clock without a glitch. I would think the 3008 are very much alike, is that why the 3008 is not in this list ?
post #462 of 1697 Old 07-14-2011, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehonest View Post

... is that why the 3008 is not in this list ?

Hi joehonest, not many posted but the 3008 does have the problem as well (RobZ, chmccorkle, Morik).
post #463 of 1697 Old 07-14-2011, 09:16 AM
bwt

Wow, I just stumbled upon this thread and I'm a bit shocked to say the least. I figured I might as well throw in my information since my unit is currently being serviced after maybe 3 months of ownership.

1. TX-NR808
2. February 2011
3. Vanns.com
4. Powered down and started smoking.
5. Approximately 3 months (just sent it in for service though)
6. Consistent
7. *Unit does not respond to power button - must unplug to turn off (closest one)
8. The service center said a channel is fried
9. N/A (still at service center)

My problem sounds different from the issues listed in the OP, but still was quite serious. I turned the receiver on one day and began listening to an mp3 at a reasonable level. Luckily I stayed in the room because after approximately a minute of play, the unit shut down, began flashing the red light on the front and smoking like crazy. Even though it was turned off at that point, it was clearly still smoking from the power traveling through the receiver. I had to rip it out of the entertainment center and pull the power cable out of the back to stop the smoke. It's scary to think about what would have happened if I had left the room. With the amount of smoke that came out of the receiver, it would be safe to assume that flames could have been next.
post #464 of 1697 Old 07-14-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwt View Post

Wow, I just stumbled upon this thread and I'm a bit shocked to say the least. I figured I might as well throw in my information since my unit is currently being serviced after maybe 3 months of ownership.

1. TX-NR808
2. February 2011
3. Vanns.com
4. Powered down and started smoking.
5. Approximately 3 months (just sent it in for service though)
6. Consistent
7. *Unit does not respond to power button - must unplug to turn off (closest one)
8. The service center said a channel is fried
9. N/A (still at service center)

My problem sounds different from the issues listed in the OP, but still was quite serious. I turned the receiver on one day and began listening to an mp3 at a reasonable level. Luckily I stayed in the room because after approximately a minute of play, the unit shut down, began flashing the red light on the front and smoking like crazy. Even though it was turned off at that point, it was clearly still smoking from the power traveling through the receiver. I had to rip it out of the entertainment center and pull the power cable out of the back to stop the smoke. It's scary to think about what would have happened if I had left the room. With the amount of smoke that came out of the receiver, it would be safe to assume that flames could have been next.

Damn, that's scary! Glad there was no significant damage (sounds like)!
post #465 of 1697 Old 07-14-2011, 10:44 AM

1. Model
DHC-80.2

2. Purchase Date or approximate date
June 08, 2011

3. Place where purchased
EBAY
4. First symptom to appear
The display displayed jargon and the volume control would not change the volume level.
5. How long after purchase until first symptom appeared?
2 days

6. Was the symptom consistent or intermittent?
intermittent

7. Which symptom(s) (listed above) are you experiencing?
*Unit does not respond to remote commands.
*Unit does not respond to front panel input commands.

8. If you have contacted Onkyo, and sent in your unit for repair, what where you told the problem is/was?
If the problem recurs send it to them. Initially a heat problem was suspect.
9. If your unit was repaired did the problem come back, if so how long did it take to reappear?
No - I replaced the 40 pin ribbon cable and cleand the respective plugs with contact cleaner. It appears to be fixed- I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I don't have the Onkyo warranty.
post #466 of 1697 Old 07-14-2011, 12:07 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdjut View Post

9. If your unit was repaired did the problem come back, if so how long did it take to reappear?
No - I replaced the 40 pin ribbon cable and cleand the respective plugs with contact cleaner. It appears to be fixed- I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I don't have the Onkyo warranty.

That's pretty slick! I wonder if doing the fix ourselves would void our warranties? Was there anything you needed to "break" to open the case?

Jeff
post #467 of 1697 Old 07-14-2011, 12:49 PM

If I had the Onkyo warranty- I would not do it , unless they (Onkyo) gave you legitimate permission. But, I hope it helps those who don't want to ship it in, beware though!
post #468 of 1697 Old 07-14-2011, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

As a general public service, would you consider posting pictures of the unit with the top off and the ribbon cable? It might be helpful to similar owners who are stuck without a warranty and want to try cleaning the cable.

Maybe even publishing the part number if you ordered it from a parts wholesaler (or Onkyo directly)?
post #469 of 1697 Old 07-14-2011, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Trying to fix anything on your own will certainly void your warranty.
You should know this beforehand if you want to fix it yourself.
After that ... go ahead
post #470 of 1697 Old 07-14-2011, 01:06 PM

I'll do it- but give me time. I'll have a post by next week at this time. Sorry- but work is wasting me right now.
post #471 of 1697 Old 07-14-2011, 01:16 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

Trying to fix anything on your own will certainly void your warranty.
You should know this beforehand if you want to fix it yourself.
After that ... go ahead

He had no warranty and therefore no warranty to void. So his situation was probably unique in that respect.
post #472 of 1697 Old 07-14-2011, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Yeah post the part # & some pix Plz ..

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #473 of 1697 Old 07-14-2011, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

As a general public service, would you consider posting pictures of the unit with the top off and the ribbon cable? It might be helpful to similar owners who are stuck without a warranty and want to try cleaning the cable.

Maybe even publishing the part number if you ordered it from a parts wholesaler (or Onkyo directly)?

+1! If I can get by with ordering the ribbon cable, taking the top off, switching the cable, and not soldering anything, I'd much rather go that route than ship my ~60 pound receiver cross-country at my expense...never mind the risk of damage.
post #474 of 1697 Old 07-14-2011, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

Yeah post the part # & some pix Plz ..

A while back someone posted this:

Anyways..as to what they replaced:
One cable, part number 2009991154UL
Two cable adapters, part number 25056643
post #475 of 1697 Old 07-14-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

+1! If I can get by with ordering the ribbon cable, taking the top off, switching the cable, and not soldering anything, I'd much rather go that route than ship my ~60 pound receiver cross-country at my expense...never mind the risk of damage.

Yes, under these circumstances, Onkyo should provide the parts and instructions necessary to fix this to people who would want to fix this themselves?
It seems that all xx8 receivers are going to eventually need this fix. Why doesn't Onkyo get proactive, notify all registered users to have the choice to either send their receiver to a service center, or be sent parts and instructions now, not after it breaks down.
post #476 of 1697 Old 07-14-2011, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoSheezy View Post

Thank You Sir ..I guess I missed that post ..
i don't have the problem .. but will order them any way best to have on hand now ,than try to get later ...

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #477 of 1697 Old 07-14-2011, 06:06 PM

Liked: 16
Check out what Home Theater has to say: http://www.hometheater.com/content/m...ntegra-dhc-402
post #478 of 1697 Old 07-14-2011, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoSheezy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

Thank You Sir ..I guess I missed that post ..
i don't have the problem .. but will order them any way best to have on hand now ,than try to get later ...

Hi FoSheezy, does the part numbers applies to only the 80.2 or is it universal for all models? And does this cover North American & Canada models only or does it cover all other countries as well?
post #479 of 1697 Old 07-14-2011, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:

1. Model
DHC-80.2

2. Purchase Date or approximate date
June 08, 2011

3. Place where purchased
EBAY
4. First symptom to appear
The display displayed jargon and the volume control would not change the volume level.
5. How long after purchase until first symptom appeared?
2 days

6. Was the symptom consistent or intermittent?
intermittent

7. Which symptom(s) (listed above) are you experiencing?
*Unit does not respond to remote commands.
*Unit does not respond to front panel input commands.

8. If you have contacted Onkyo, and sent in your unit for repair, what where you told the problem is/was?
If the problem recurs send it to them. Initially a heat problem was suspect.

Where'd you get the ribbon cable? Is it a run-of-the-mill IDE cable or is it an actual Onkyo/Integra part? Also, please keep us posted as to whether your fix "sticks." If so, this will definitely be the route I wind up going once my receiver fails...provided, of course, you can post some pics of the cable that needs replaced.
post #480 of 1697 Old 07-14-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

Where'd you get the ribbon cable? Is it a run-of-the-mill IDE cable or is it an actual Onkyo/Integra part? Also, please keep us posted as to whether your fix "sticks." If so, this will definitely be the route I wind up going once my receiver fails...provided, of course, you can post some pics of the cable that needs replaced.

It is the run of the mill 40 pin IDE cable. It is the same length as the original.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Nr717 , Onkyo Tx Nr906 , Onkyo Brand , Onkyo Tx Nr414 , Onkyo Tx Nr515 , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Onkyo Tx Nr807 , Onkyo Ht Rc270 , Onkyo Tx Nr708 , Onkyo Tx Nr808 , Onkyo Tx Nr1008
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page