The "OFFICIAL" Onkyo RC270, NR708,NR808, NR1008, NR5008, Integra 80.2 Failure Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1697 Old 07-18-2011, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
1. Model: TX-NR808
2. Purchase Date or approximate date: January 2011 REFURB
3. Place where purchased: Ebay Authorized
4. First symptom to appear: HDMI Inputs stopped working. Remote wouldn't work on & off....stuff switches randomly and can't turn off unless under Game.
5. How long after purchase until first symptom appeared? 6 months (for me...it's a refurb)
6. Was the symptom consistent or intermittent? All at once
8. If you have contacted Onkyo, and sent in your unit for repair, what where you told the problem is/was? HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. I LIVE IN NASHVILLE TENNESSEE AND MY "REGIONAL" SERVICE CENTER IS IN ****ING MICHIGAN. WELL LET ME JUST DROP THIS BABY OFF. I AM PISSED. WANTED ME TO SHIP ON MY OWN DIME. I'LL OPEN IT UP AND TAKE A **** IN IT AND MAIL IT TO THEM. FIND THAT ISSUE ONKYO.
9. If your unit was repaired did the problem come back, if so how long did it take to reappear? Haven't sent it yet....but I'm having chilli dogs for dinner.

This has been worse than dealing with the cable company. Only after I called "customer" support did I find this thread. I'll be calling back tomorrow and getting my shipping label...or driving to New Jersey and kicking someone in the mouth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1697 Old 07-18-2011, 05:36 PM

Received my 270 back. Was having the HDMI out issue (Audio but no vid). Repair sheet said repair(replace?) HDMI. Hooked it all up again.

Same problem. Sigh.

Now I had checked the other components, cables and TV before sending the 270 for repair by connecting all individually to the TV (Toshiba DLP 5 yrs old) Motorola HD PVR (1
yr old) and Sony BluRay (several months old). All worked. Cables all worked. Assumed 270 was the culprit.

This time I hooked up kidults LG LCD. Dammit it worked. Onscreen menus etc.

Anybody heard of a problem with older HDMIs?? The big puzzle for me is it worked for 3 months with the Toshiba, now it doesnt.
post #543 of 1697 Old 07-18-2011, 05:37 PM

Well the dreaded turn itself on and it would not respond to the remote or front panel buttons problem occured. I removed the control board and cleaned it with acetone. The back of the control board was coated with that sticky coating. The 40 pin ribbon cable was not the only problem .
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdjut View Post

If the problem recurs on my DHC-80.2- then I'll clean the LOGIC boad. Do I need to remove it to do so?

post #544 of 1697 Old 07-18-2011, 05:55 PM

Do not use acetone! Acetone is very abrasive and you may damage traces and or the pcb coating.
Get the electronic spray cleaner, it is made for this purpose.
See my previous post. The conformal coating is the cause of the problem.
post #545 of 1697 Old 07-18-2011, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fas4u View Post

Same problem. Sigh.
The big puzzle for me is it worked for 3 months with the Toshiba, now it doesnt.

This sounds like a problem many have when there Toshiba LCD TVs are on, Toshiba LCD TVs emmitt IR that interfere with most old and some new hardware. Toshiba laughs it off by calling it "IR swap", its mostly known to jam cable boxs, but over time it could effect other hardware as "IR swap" is very unstable. How Toshiba LCD TVs pass FCC testing is beyond me.
post #546 of 1697 Old 07-18-2011, 07:50 PM

Thanks joehonest. I have heard of IR swap but know nothing about it. Does anyone have a decent resource for that? Also, my TV is an older DLP with colour wheel and mirror. I dont know if it emits IR or not.
post #547 of 1697 Old 07-18-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarav098 View Post

I believe the coating on the logic board is the problem. The connectors and IDE cable could have been a problem but they are not the cause. It looks like this substance's viscosity changes easily with temperature and therefore it may have seeped into the connector as the receiver warms up.

The IDE cable I used is a 2 connector cable and 18" long, this makes it just a little longer than the stock cable. Looking back I think replacing the connectors is not necessary given the order of the repairs.

My advice is to clean the logic board thoroughly (front and back) first, making sure you spray all components on it, then test the receiver. Half of the logic board is covered by the HDMI board so you need to make sure you spray the components not readily visible.

I also observed this gooey thing when I opened my 808. But its on the data cable pins and connector pins on the board. I cleaned it with an off the shelf electronics contact cleaner. For a few days it worked fine, but the problem recurred. So I send it to the local service center, so far its working fine for a month now. But I always wonder how long this will be of service...
post #548 of 1697 Old 07-18-2011, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytophigh View Post

1. Model: TX-NR808
2. Purchase Date or approximate date: January 2011 REFURB
3. Place where purchased: Ebay Authorized
4. First symptom to appear: HDMI Inputs stopped working. Remote wouldn't work on & off....stuff switches randomly and can't turn off unless under Game.
5. How long after purchase until first symptom appeared? 6 months (for me...it's a refurb)
6. Was the symptom consistent or intermittent? All at once
8. If you have contacted Onkyo, and sent in your unit for repair, what where you told the problem is/was? HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. I LIVE IN NASHVILLE TENNESSEE AND MY "REGIONAL" SERVICE CENTER IS IN ****ING MICHIGAN. WELL LET ME JUST DROP THIS BABY OFF. I AM PISSED. WANTED ME TO SHIP ON MY OWN DIME. I'LL OPEN IT UP AND TAKE A **** IN IT AND MAIL IT TO THEM. FIND THAT ISSUE ONKYO.
9. If your unit was repaired did the problem come back, if so how long did it take to reappear? Haven't sent it yet....but I'm having chilli dogs for dinner.

This has been worse than dealing with the cable company. Only after I called "customer" support did I find this thread. I'll be calling back tomorrow and getting my shipping label...or driving to New Jersey and kicking someone in the mouth.

the poo might cause unwanted conductivity too.
post #549 of 1697 Old 07-19-2011, 01:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fas4u View Post

Thanks joehonest. I have heard of IR swap but know nothing about it. Does anyone have a decent resource for that? Also, my TV is an older DLP with colour wheel and mirror. I dont know if it emits IR or not.

Toshibas are the only ones that I heard about the emits a blocking IR, It just blocks most but not all remote IR signals from reaching the receiver ( AVR, cablebox, dvd players, most anything using IR. ) But its flaky as you may need to send a command 2, 3 or more times before it received. I had a Toshiba 55 led and it caused my Onkyo 3007 and Comcast HD DVR and my Sony cd changer from working with there factory remotes about 75% of the time. Everything worked fine with the Toshiba turned OFF. I returned the Toshiba after a week of hell, and tried a second Toshiba 55 led/lcd, same problem... No problems with the Samsung led/lcd that cost a alot more, but its worth it.
I only bring this up in this thread so that you can diagnose your problems with this in mind, IR swap is not well known problem because its so flaky.
Toshiba may not be the only TVs that cause this problem..
post #550 of 1697 Old 07-19-2011, 01:19 AM

Just a quick question about the process. When you'll send in the units, do you'll have to send a copy of the receipt or any other info or just the pre-paid label and box is all that goes? I bought my receiver through amazon warehouse and I don't know how Onkyo treats the warranty when it comes to them. I registered it with no problems but hopefully they also repair with no problems. Thanks guys
post #551 of 1697 Old 07-19-2011, 01:51 AM

Liked: 15
Contacted Onkyo to find out what's happening...
Called July 8th (Friday) and was transferred to parts (after giving all my info) for them to send the label and box
They told me today that the box and label were sent on the 12th, and it was scheduled to arrive on the 20th.
Asked about Denver regional center... they said it was closing. They (Denver regional center) would ship it elsewhere to be fixed. I asked where would that be... was told SoCal. I asked if they could send me a label to send it to
SoCal, and they agreed, sending me one by e-mail shortly after I called.

With the Denver Center "closing" you would think they would alert those who have sent or are in the process of sending their AVR's! You would think that would be the smart think to do... the prudent thing to do... the right thing to do. The efforts to rectify this problem that effects multiple models, including top of the line/flagship models is less than I would expect from a reputable company. They are going to loose customers over this one, some of them long time Onkyo/Interga supporters. Not to worry, business strategy shows there is a sucker born every minute
post #552 of 1697 Old 07-19-2011, 02:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTrauma View Post

Contacted Onkyo to find out what's happening...
Called July 8th (Friday) and was transferred to parts (after giving all my info) for them to send the label and box
They told me today that the box and label were sent on the 12th, and it was scheduled to arrive on the 20th.
Asked about Denver regional center... they said it was closing. They (Denver regional center) would ship it elsewhere to be fixed. I asked where would that be... was told SoCal. I asked if they could send me a label to send it to
SoCal, and they agreed, sending me one by e-mail shortly after I called.

With the Denver Center "closing" you would think they would alert those who have sent or are in the process of sending their AVR's! You would think that would be the smart think to do... the prudent thing to do... the right thing to do. The efforts to rectify this problem that effects multiple models, including top of the line/flagship models is less than I would expect from a reputable company. They are going to loose customers over this one, some of them long time Onkyo/Interga supporters. Not to worry, business strategy shows there is a sucker born every minute

Smart move, the last thing you want is to have your unit fixed by a tech that knows there getting the pink slip shortly.
post #553 of 1697 Old 07-19-2011, 04:24 AM

Here's a link to describe conformal coating.
http://www.dymax.com/products/electr...ings/index.php
My guess (SWAG) is that the Onkyo/Integra problem PCB's may not have been properly cleaned prior to the conformal coating being applied. Or, possibility a batch (lot) of contaminated conformal coating. It all adds up to a QC problem!
I work in the semiconductor business, and know that QC is most important!
I won't disclose who I work for- but we produce the best!
post #554 of 1697 Old 07-19-2011, 11:54 AM

Hi,

When I enter setup and while in the setup screen choose another input, the unit stays in the setup screen but up/down keys will stop to function. Pressing home returns normal operation.

Does everybody have this bug or is my unit faulty?
Thanks.

Edit: The bug is only present when using the remote up/down buttons: The up/down buttons on the receiver works.
My model is Onkyo 3008.
post #555 of 1697 Old 07-19-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorenba View Post
Hi,

When I enter setup and while in the setup screen choose another input, the unit stays in the setup screen but up/down keys will stop to function. Pressing home returns normal operation.

Does everybody have this bug or is my unit faulty?
Thanks.

Edit: The bug is only present when using the remote up/down buttons: The up/down buttons on the receiver works.
make sure you are in "receiver" "remote mode" and try again.
post #556 of 1697 Old 07-19-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayareakirk View Post
make sure you are in "receiver" "remote mode" and try again.
Thanks - that solved it.
post #557 of 1697 Old 07-19-2011, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
1. NR808
2. July 2010
3. Tigerdirect
4. None listed
5. Started June 2011, 11 months after purchasing

I've had some problems with my 808, but not any that have been listed in the thread. When i first plugged an ethernet cable in, i was able to use Slacker, and was able to stream MP3s from my computer. They worked for a couple days, but then both of functions stopped working, and just hang on "initializing". Pandora never worked.

The other issue i have that occurs maybe once per week, is that i just all of sudden get no sound, as if the speakers were de-selected or something. The only way to fix it is to do the "VCR-power" reset, and then turn it back on. Annoying, but certainly not debilitating like the problems listed here.

Also, none of the problems occurred until i installed Zone2 speakers. May just be coincidence, but worth noting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My Basement Build Thread

post #558 of 1697 Old 07-19-2011, 03:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Got a call today from my local service center that they had completed the IDE cable replacement in my 5508. However, now the unit no longer accepts a firmware upload, and the company is sending it to the Onkyo service center in NJ for further repairs.

I half-joked with my wife when I dropped off my processor in June that I probably wouldn't see it again until September, but perhaps that wasn't such a stretch after all.

Boo.

PSN: KyFriedNate | XBL: KyFriedNate
My SACD Collection | My DVD-A Collection
post #559 of 1697 Old 07-19-2011, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehonest View Post

Toshibas are the only ones that I heard about the emits a blocking IR,

Panasonic LCD 3D tv's do it too. Prob. very common with 3D tv's since they use an emitter to transmit IR to the eyewear.

---------------------------------------
post #560 of 1697 Old 07-19-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan_R View Post

Got a call today from my local service center that they had completed the IDE cable replacement in my 5508. However, now the unit no longer accepts a firmware upload, and the company is sending it to the Onkyo service center in NJ for further repairs.

I half-joked with my wife when I dropped off my processor in June that I probably wouldn't see it again until September, but perhaps that wasn't such a stretch after all.

Boo.

Don't bet on it, maybe September 2012 is a lot more realistic...

These xx08 series is really like a ticking time bomb waiting to explode!
post #561 of 1697 Old 07-20-2011, 12:21 AM

I have an 808 that is having the same problems.

Question: has anyone actually seen a new 809 that has problems?
post #562 of 1697 Old 07-20-2011, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarav098 View Post

I believe the coating on the logic board is the problem. The connectors and IDE cable could have been a problem but they are not the cause. It looks like this substance's viscosity changes easily with temperature and therefore it may have seeped into the connector as the receiver warms up.

My advice is to clean the logic board thoroughly (front and back) first, making sure you spray all components on it, then test the receiver. Half of the logic board is covered by the HDMI board so you need to make sure you spray the components not readily visible.

oscarav098: Thank you for taking the time to do the testing, write-up, and adding pictures. VERY helpful!

I have a TX-NR808 that started having the remote control symptom. Searching Google brought me to this thread. I decided to buy a can of that spray from Radio Shack and give your idea a shot.

When opening up the case, I wiped my finger across several of the boards. Some were smooth as silk but several were slightly tacky (including the ones you mentioned. I started with the front display board and cleaned front and back. I was able to get a majority of the stuff off with a lot of spray and a soft bristle tooth brush.

I decided not to remove the boards in back but shot them good with the spray and brushed the parts I could. I disconnected the ribbon cable from the front and back and cleaned the connector. Used an air compressor to dry it all in a jiff. I used the entire can and when I was done, only a couple of places were 'super clean'.

Overall the reassembly went smoothly. Reconnected everything in back and tried the remote. Works perfectly. Just finished the project tonight so I can't say that the issue is truly fixed. Might just be a fluke but it sure looks promising!

I'll let ya'll know how she holds up.

Thanks again!
post #563 of 1697 Old 07-20-2011, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 752
has anyone seen a time line on these ? meaning is there a production date that all this started with ? seems that everyone who got a unit early in the production year this is not showing up as an issue .

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #564 of 1697 Old 07-20-2011, 09:44 AM

Liked: 15
Got a call back from Onkyo Tuesday afternoon, left a message. "Don't use the label inside the box, use the label sent by e-mail." Label in the box is to the "facility that will be closing, the unit will not be repaired there" That's fine, nice to hear... but

They said the box I received... mine ain't here yet (suppose to arrive sometime today).

Haven't searched for the phone number of the new service center... (I will be talking to someone there before I ship this beast off). When I called on Monday (attempting to get the new label via e-mail) they could not give me the name of the shop/service center, much less a phone number of where I was to be sending my baby. This was provided the initial time I called and started this process, and was really told to do just that... call the shop for the lowdown, the inside word, regarding turn around time, parts availability and the like. Fortunately for me the label I got by e-mail had a name above the service providers name! Now I know who I should talk to!

(Sorry folks, night shift worker on my way to bed, not gonna happen today... but I promise I will pass on all I get from them when I get it!)

FYI, my serial numbers 8th = 0, 9th = Y, so I guess I got a "late edition", November 2010, purchased 1/6/2011.

Some of you all... ya tear me up/apart.

I'd kinda like to know how to set up the fans... heat is electronics #1 enemy, but I don't think that should have to be necessary to minimize the chances of your receiver developing (or in our situations, repaired units from again developing) these fatal malfunctions. I bet it real simple to do, and probably not very expensive ($20-$30?), but I am a touch upset I haven't got it already, it could have helped... I'll never know. (Has anyone with accessory fans up and running experienced this?)

Then, to make matters worse, some of ya all calmly, nonchalantly make my jaw drop and eyes bug out as I see the pics and read the tales. "...so then I..."

I laugh, I cry, I wish I had a little more knowledge... and a lot more guts! As I have said before, the folks you run into here at
AVSF are amazing, intelligent, sophisticated and probably good looking too! Thanks for tolerating my rants, it was a long shift and I'm kinda rummy!
post #565 of 1697 Old 07-20-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little B View Post
oscarav098: Thank you for taking the time to do the testing, write-up, and adding pictures. VERY helpful!

I have a TX-NR808 that started having the remote control symptom. Searching Google brought me to this thread. I decided to buy a can of that spray from Radio Shack and give your idea a shot.

When opening up the case, I wiped my finger across several of the boards. Some were smooth as silk but several were slightly tacky (including the ones you mentioned. I started with the front display board and cleaned front and back. I was able to get a majority of the stuff off with a lot of spray and a soft bristle tooth brush.

I decided not to remove the boards in back but shot them good with the spray and brushed the parts I could. I disconnected the ribbon cable from the front and back and cleaned the connector. Used an air compressor to dry it all in a jiff. I used the entire can and when I was done, only a couple of places were 'super clean'.

Overall the reassembly went smoothly. Reconnected everything in back and tried the remote. Works perfectly. Just finished the project tonight so I can't say that the issue is truly fixed. Might just be a fluke but it sure looks promising!

I'll let ya'll know how she holds up.

Thanks again!
Little B,
I'm glad your receiver is up and working and I hope it remains that way. If the problem reappears make sure you get the miroporcessor on the logic board. This chip is on the front of the pcb close to the rear panel. Also, if you didn't replace the IDE cable and the problem reappears you should probably replace it. The reason being is that the confomal coating may have seeped in the IDE cable disconnects. You can get these at most mom and pop computer shops.

Please keep us all posted the receiver status as this could help validate the theory behind the fix, not to mention prevent a bunch of receivers from being destroyed by ups/fedex/etc.
post #566 of 1697 Old 07-20-2011, 11:48 AM

I just got the shipping label for the latest service center to ship my PR-SC5508;

http://www.adamselectronics.com/

I decided to instead return my unit for a new one after my dealer called Onkyo and received assurance the replacement does not have the defective cable.

Any idea what the latest manufacturer dates and identifying serial numbers are?

Quote:
Got a call back from Onkyo Tuesday afternoon, left a message. "Don't use the label inside the box, use the label sent by e-mail." Label in the box is to the "facility that will be closing, the unit will not be repaired there" That's fine, nice to hear... but

They said the box I received... mine ain't here yet (suppose to arrive sometime today).

Haven't searched for the phone number of the new service center... (I will be talking to someone there before I ship this beast off). When I called on Monday (attempting to get the new label via e-mail) they could not give me the name of the shop/service center, much less a phone number of where I was to be sending my baby. This was provided the initial time I called and started this process, and was really told to do just that... call the shop for the lowdown, the inside word, regarding turn around time, parts availability and the like. Fortunately for me the label I got by e-mail had a name above the service providers name! Now I know who I should talk to!

(Sorry folks, night shift worker on my way to bed, not gonna happen today... but I promise I will pass on all I get from them when I get it!)

FYI, my serial numbers 8th = 0, 9th = Y, so I guess I got a "late edition", November 2010, purchased 1/6/2011.

Some of you all... ya tear me up/apart.

I'd kinda like to know how to set up the fans... heat is electronics #1 enemy, but I don't think that should have to be necessary to minimize the chances of your receiver developing (or in our situations, repaired units from again developing) these fatal malfunctions. I bet it real simple to do, and probably not very expensive ($20-$30?), but I am a touch upset I haven't got it already, it could have helped... I'll never know. (Has anyone with accessory fans up and running experienced this?)

Then, to make matters worse, some of ya all calmly, nonchalantly make my jaw drop and eyes bug out as I see the pics and read the tales. "...so then I..."

I laugh, I cry, I wish I had a little more knowledge... and a lot more guts! As I have said before, the folks you run into here at
AVSF are amazing, intelligent, sophisticated and probably good looking too! Thanks for tolerating my rants, it was a long shift and I'm kinda rummy!
post #567 of 1697 Old 07-20-2011, 11:56 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHolland View Post
I just got the shipping label for the latest service center to ship my PR-SC5508;

Any idea what the latest manufacturer dates and identifying serial numbers are?
I'd like to know that as well as my 5508 has not (yet?) been affected.
post #568 of 1697 Old 07-20-2011, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
are people with 3d sets not having this problem? I own the panasonic tcp50gt25.

Jacob
post #569 of 1697 Old 07-20-2011, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Got a call back from Onkyo Tuesday afternoon, left a message. "Don't use the label inside the box, use the label sent by e-mail." Label in the box is to the "facility that will be closing,
Do you know what service center is closing?

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #570 of 1697 Old 07-20-2011, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
Do you know what service center is closing?
He mentioned the Denver center.

James
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Nr717 , Onkyo Tx Nr906 , Onkyo Brand , Onkyo Tx Nr414 , Onkyo Tx Nr515 , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Onkyo Tx Nr807 , Onkyo Ht Rc270 , Onkyo Tx Nr708 , Onkyo Tx Nr808 , Onkyo Tx Nr1008
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page