The "OFFICIAL" Onkyo RC270, NR708,NR808, NR1008, NR5008, Integra 80.2 Failure Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 1697 Old 06-06-2011, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Glad I could help. Crutchfield has been awesome with not only the problems with BOTH my 808's but also a problem I had with a pair of Polk RTI A3 (grills were damaged). Went through some troubleshooting with tech support for the second 808, they sent me a return shipping label, I called my sales guy Ozzy at Crutchfield (HIGHLY recommend him .... he's awesome and very knowledgable. Tell him Jeff with the problematic 808's and the one who order the Polk speakers sent you) and he escalated things to what appeared to be the manager of tech support who got on the phone with me and offered to replace it with a 809 (I didn't even ask).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1697 Old 06-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
^^
I really hadn't considered calling Cruchfield again until I read your post--and I'm glad I did call. But I did waste a lot on time talking to Customer Support. They were nice enough but didn't know about this issue so nothing really happened until they transfered me to Tech Support--i talked to Marty--and he immediately knew about the Onkyo issue and just said they would replace the 808 with an 809--and I hadn't even discussed what they could do for me yet. So I too am very happy with Cruchfield.

Bob

post #33 of 1697 Old 06-06-2011, 12:40 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
I would escalate the complaint to a higher level at this point and wouldn't stop badgering them until I was satisfied. Furthermore, I would harass my dealer as well for either a replacement product or a full refund.
GREAT DAVID!
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP

Jorge
post #34 of 1697 Old 06-06-2011, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Unfortunately I'm out of 6Ave's 30 day return period so I'm stuck trying to work this out with Onkyo.

Wish I had ordered from Crutchfield.
post #35 of 1697 Old 06-06-2011, 08:58 PM

1. Model:NR808
2. Purchase Date or approximate date : DEC.2010
3. Place where purchased: AMAZON.com
4. First symptom to appear: Unit not responding to remote But oRemote (iphone App) works via network.

5. How long after purchase until first symptom appeared? 4 months

6. Was the symptom consistent or intermittent? consistent

7. Which symptom(s) (listed above) are you experiencing?
ALL of them
8. If you have contacted Onkyo, and sent in your unit for repair, what where you told the problem is/was?
I called onkyo to report my problem last week. Surprisingly, the CSR said she never heard this kind of problems before ( I doubt that.). Fortunately, there is a local service center. Dropped off the receiver last Weds. haven't got anything back yet.
9. If your unit was repaired did the problem come back, if so how long did it take to reappear?
Will update later.
post #36 of 1697 Old 06-07-2011, 06:56 AM

I haven't noticed any owners of the Onkyo PR-SC5508 posting to this thread about this recent spate of problems. Are those units not experiencing the same kinds of problems?
post #37 of 1697 Old 06-07-2011, 07:40 AM

I know of, and have had a direct hand in about 1/3, about 2000-ish NRX08's being sold last year through 10 different outlets.

1 furniture store, 2 Best Buys(before Onkyo severed the tie), 5 independent installers(who do Directv/Dish Network) and Amazon/Newegg.

I sent an email to each one of them(showing customer orders for each) and asked them if they have had issues with these units and what their individual responses were going to be. I CC'd the info for the furniture store and Directv/Dish Net installers(they know each other and buy stuff through each other, yet all five are independent Onkyo authorized dealers).

The furniture store had already begun sending emails out to their customers(that they had contact info with) and offered between 50-75% credit for the new Onkyo model. They like satisfied customers. They are also offering to have the X08 repaired, with them as the middle man, and return it back to the customer after THEY have had it after the repair to see if it does it again, then the customer can have it back. The customers that don't want them back, they are sending back to Onkyo so they can do with them as they please.

Three of the installers asked the furniture store to handle theirs.
The two that didn't are handling theirs on their own.

When you have 4 sales outlets responsible for well over 1000 of them, it adds weight to Onkyo's response. Onkyo basically asked the store to collect defectives for a month, send them in on a pallet once a month, depending on the number. For June, they sent in a total of 12...bringing the total to 35 they've sent to be repaired.

Best Buy, Amazon and Newegg(I emailed as "high up the food chain" at each, that I know...bypassing the "talking head" CSR). I got pretty much the same response from each. "Talk to Onkyo".

Out of the 2000-ish that I know of, this issue has affected less than 100...so far. Still 100 out of 2000 "still in warranty" receivers is a big problem, but in no way is it affecting all of them. The furniture store is collecting data on theirs to see if they can find a manufacturing time window for the defectives. Lastly, this furniture store has a policy of, "If your purchase is under warranty, or you purchase an extended service plan, call us first."

I could become part of this myself, in that I purchased the DHC 80.2. Anybody know if either DHC's are affected? Where I got mine, they have sold a total of 111 DHC all year. Two had to be repaired, neither one was "this" issue.
post #38 of 1697 Old 06-07-2011, 08:27 AM

1. Model

Onkyo TXNR3008

2. Purchase Date or approximate date

Mid-February

3. Place where purchased

Vanns.com

4. First symptom to appear

Turned on receiver, which was in PC mode when last turned off.
It turned on to CBL/SAT mode, and was completely unresponsive to the remote. (Turning on the cable box did produce proper video/sound though)

I did manage to get it to standby somehow using the front controls. They didn't work at first, but repeatedly pushing the standby button/holding down the standby button eventually got it to turn off.

Turning it back on resulted in the CBL/SAT unresponsive mode again.

5. How long after purchase until first symptom appeared?

3.5 months.

6. Was the symptom consistent or intermittent?

Consistent so far. I read in another thread that unplugging it for 1+ hours would solve the issue temporarily, but this did not work for me--I left it unplugged overnight, and then tried again in the morning. It started in 'Dock' mode, and was again unresponsive.

7. Which symptom(s) (listed above) are you experiencing?

See above.

8. If you have contacted Onkyo, and sent in your unit for repair, what where you told the problem is/was?

Not yet--the issue started last night for me. I plan to contact Vann first to see what they are able to do. I do NOT want to pay for shipping on this 70lb receiver, wait a month for them to send it back, and then have it break again a week later.

9. If your unit was repaired did the problem come back, if so how long did it take to reappear?

N/A
post #39 of 1697 Old 06-07-2011, 09:35 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post

I could become part of this myself, in that I purchased the DHC 80.2. Anybody know if either DHC's are affected? Where I got mine, they have sold a total of 111 DHC all year. Two had to be repaired, neither one was "this" issue.

Great post!

Yes, the DHC-80.2 and Onk 5508's are experiencing the same problems ....

I have my 5508 for about a month and it works perfectly. My usage is 4-8 hours per week, which would be considered light duty I guess.

Jeff
post #40 of 1697 Old 06-07-2011, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Great post!

Yes, the DHC-80.2 and Onk 5508's are experiencing the same problems ....

I have my 5508 for about a month and it works perfectly. My usage is 4-8 hours per week, which would be considered light duty I guess.

Jeff

Some of the dhcs are experiencing these problems This has been associated in some cases with ( serial number) 0 in the 8th place or a 1,2,3 in the 9th and a faulty 20 pin cable by Alan (see 5508 thread). Not all clear about percentage failure rate.

2 out of 111 is somewhat comforting but since the numbers change as a function of time we will have to wait a while.

Info from onkyo would be very useful. Is a recall in the works?
My October 80.2 unit fits the 0 criteria. It is used a lot( 6 hours a day) for music and is still working for now
post #41 of 1697 Old 06-07-2011, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

Some of the dhcs are experiencing these problems This has been associated in some cases with ( serial number) 0 in the 8th place or a 1,2,3 in the 9th and a faulty 20 pin cable by Alan (see 5508 thread). Not all clear about percentage failure rate.

2 out of 111 is somewhat comforting but since the numbers change as a function of time we will have to wait a while.

Info from onkyo would be very useful. Is a recall in the works?
My October 80.2 unit fits the 0 criteria. It is used a lot( 6 hours a day) for music and is still working for now

Hi jmschnur, curious if its more related with which manufacture plant then production date.
post #42 of 1697 Old 06-07-2011, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi jmschnur, curious if its more related with which manufacture plant then production date.

Good question for onkyo! Alan said the 20 pin cable had a short at across #2 at one end of cable. If this is the cause of most the ensuing problems for the onkyo/integra units , then the question is whether onkyo made the cable. If they did and cables were made in different factories than location rather then date would be an important criteria.

Same logic applies if the cable was purchased from a supplier.

Onkyo knows and we do not.
post #43 of 1697 Old 06-08-2011, 12:22 PM

1. Model: NR708
2. Purchase Date or approximate date: Jan. 1, 2011
3. Place where purchased: Vanns through Amazon
4. First symptom to appear: Unit would not power on. {Sent it in for repairs and a 12V relay was replaced. Unit then worked fine for another 3 months and then the 'would not respond to remote control' problem appeared.}
5. How long after purchase until first symptom appeared? 6 weeks for the power on problem, 5 months for the remote control problem.
6. Was the symptom consistent or intermittent? consistent
7. Which symptom(s) (listed above) are you experiencing? Unit not responding to remote control.
8. If you have contacted Onkyo, and sent in your unit for repair, what where you told the problem is/was? After they had me try several remedies, Onkyo told me to send the unit in for servicing. I sent my unit in (for a second time) to an authorized repair center in Denver. 18 days later, they called and I was told they were unable to reproduce the problem but they will keep it turned on for several days unit they hopefully can. The tech I talked to was not aware of any Service Bulletins from Onkyo concerning this issue.
9. If your unit was repaired did the problem come back, if so how long did it take to reappear? Will update later.
post #44 of 1697 Old 06-08-2011, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good question for onkyo! Alan said the 20 pin cable had a short at across #2 at one end of cable. If this is the cause of most the ensuing problems for the onkyo/integra units , then the question is whether onkyo made the cable. If they did and cables were made in different factories than location rather then date would be an important criteria.

Same logic applies if the cable was purchased from a supplier.

Onkyo knows and we do not.

Possible it may be from the same plant except one member, y_p_i.
Maybe the owners should post the 5,6,7,8 and 9 digital of the serial number.
post #45 of 1697 Old 06-08-2011, 01:50 PM

How many digits are there in the standard Onkyo/Integra serial number? I'm picking up a DHC-80.2 from my local dealer on Saturday. I asked him to read me the serial number on the unit he's set aside for me, and he said he wasn't sure what the number was -- he read me two groups of five digits. Does the standard serial number start with five digits, then have a few letters, then finish with five more digits?
post #46 of 1697 Old 06-08-2011, 03:48 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 131
The serial number is on the box just behind where it says .... "serial" .. and on my 5508 box it is contiguous. He probably sees his sale flying out the window and is cursing the internet.

Jeff
post #47 of 1697 Old 06-08-2011, 04:11 PM

Nah, that's not it -- I've got a good relationship with him, and he knows there are a lot more sales down the road as long as he takes good care of me. He's well aware of my concerns, and knows his reputation is on the line.

More likely, he didn't find the right number. Integra is a new line for him, and mine is the first unit he's sold -- he's had it order for me for a few weeks now. He knows I'm going to double-check the serial number on the box when I pick it up Saturday.
post #48 of 1697 Old 06-08-2011, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWPascoe View Post

How many digits are there in the standard Onkyo/Integra serial number? I'm picking up a DHC-80.2 from my local dealer on Saturday. I asked him to read me the serial number on the unit he's set aside for me, and he said he wasn't sure what the number was -- he read me two groups of five digits. Does the standard serial number start with five digits, then have a few letters, then finish with five more digits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

The serial number is on the box just behind where it says .... "serial" .. and on my 5508 box it is contiguous. He probably sees his sale flying out the window and is cursing the internet.

Jeff

well, i see what pascoe is talking about...

on my box at "serial number" there is a set of 10 (2 sets of five) numbers, then below is a 16 digit number. both seem to have corresponding bar codes.

i used the 16 digit number when registering...haven't heard any sort of confirmation from integra...
post #49 of 1697 Old 06-08-2011, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Look behind the actual set. There is a label. On my set from the front it is on the left rear.

This is quite unfortunate. The dhc 80.2 is truly a great device for music and movies when it works properly.
post #50 of 1697 Old 06-08-2011, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthandluke View Post

...then below is a 16 digit number. both seem to have corresponding bar codes.

i used the 16 digit number when registering...haven't heard any sort of confirmation from integra...

Yes, the 16 digital number is the serial number.
post #51 of 1697 Old 06-08-2011, 07:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

1. Model: PR-SC5508
2. Purchased on: 02/15/11
3. Purchased from: Hi-Fi Heaven
4. First sign of trouble: "HDMI: ON/IGNORE"...then total lockup-- no response to remote or front panel
5. Lifespan until first problem: 3 months, 23 days
6. Problem frequency: Consistent as hell
7. Description: Unit is unresponsive to remote or front panel. Only responds briefly after a power plug pull. Unit automatically switches to BD/DVD input. First LED message upon discovering problem was roughly HDMI: ON/IGNORE
8. Onkyo support history: Emailed support tonight, will call tomorrow.
9. Resolution: N/A

My serial does indeed have a 0 in the 8th place, but a 9 in the 9th. It also has three Qs and a Batman symbol.

PSN: KyFriedNate | XBL: KyFriedNate
My SACD Collection | My DVD-A Collection
post #52 of 1697 Old 06-08-2011, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan_R View Post

1. Model: PR-SC5508
2. Purchased on: 02/15/11
My serial does indeed have a 0 in the 8th place, but a 9 in the 9th. It also has three Qs and a Batman symbol.

Hi Nathan_R, most likely the affected models are 2010 (8th digital).
post #53 of 1697 Old 06-08-2011, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

What does the 9th digit signify and can one tell where the unit was made from the serial #?
post #54 of 1697 Old 06-08-2011, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What does the 9th digit signify and can one tell where the unit was made from the serial #?

The 9th digital represent the month and the letters in the 5th, 6th and possible 7th number represent plant country location.
post #55 of 1697 Old 06-08-2011, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

The 9th digital represent the month and the letters in the 5th, 6th and possible 7th number represent plant country location.

So all 2010 and early 2011 onkyo/integra units are suspect. But we do not know if there are other factors such as plant location as indicators?

To put it another way are all units made in 2010 likely to fail or only some? If the former , onkyo should initiate a recall. However, it does not yet seem that a large fraction made in 2010 have failed.
post #56 of 1697 Old 06-08-2011, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So all 2010 and early 2011 onkyo/integra units are suspect. But we do not know if there are other factors such as plant location as indicators?

To put it another way are all units made in 2010 likely to fail or only some? If the former , onkyo should initiate a recall. However, it does not yet seem that a large fraction made in 2010 have failed.

Sorry didn't meant all, corrected my post.

Hard to tell what the cause is at this point.
post #57 of 1697 Old 06-09-2011, 04:55 AM

Quote:

We can not just draw conclusions based on what appears in this forum, there are many more people with the units and do not even know that this forum exists, so there must be many other units affected and we do not and probably never know about them , I think the big question here is what is doing Onkyo-Integra? When we are going to have a solution that really pleases us? and how long are we going to wait for that solution? .
This is not a particular problem is everyone's problem

Jorge
post #58 of 1697 Old 06-09-2011, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

My DHC 80.2 has been in the shop for two weeks now. Purchased late last year. I emailed Integra the problem, it took them over a week to respond. Response was a bit redundant considering I explained the problem thoroughly in my contacting them. And they ask me amateurish questions (Did you try a different HDMI cable....yadda yadda).

I emailed them back and have heard nothing again. They need to get things fixed.

post #59 of 1697 Old 06-09-2011, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

If the cable is the primary cause and there are a number of failures, then getting enough working new cables may be an issue.

Also who knows what other damage a defective cable can cause.

I agree onkyo needs to tell owners what they are doing for the owners.
post #60 of 1697 Old 06-09-2011, 05:16 AM

It does souns VERY amateurish mcallister. Despite Crutchfield's initial response ... 'not hearing about that before', their tech support was very knowledgable and took me through troubleshooting that went right to the meat of the problem. For example, to determine if it was the remote that was bad, he had me look at the transmitter light that goes on when a button on the remote is pressed through a digital camera (it's IR and our eyes can't directly see it but a digital camera or camera phone can). After determining the the light was coming on in the remote and it was equally as intense as a different remote that was working fine, he immediately knew it was something in the receiver. Also, he took me through things in the menu to try to get the network to connect so that I could do a firmware update. After 5 minutes, he knew it wasn't working properly. Shortly thereafter when I called back (two days later) to talk to my original sales guy did they let me know that Onkyo admitted a manufacturers defect. All these 'authorized' repair places and 'authorized' deals (with the exception of Crutchfield - they are awesome) that BS us and take forever to troubleshoot, leave units on for days without 'being able to replicate the problem' ... I seriously question their ability. If I did my job like these guys, especially the QC group at Onkyo, I'd be out of a job.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Nr717 , Onkyo Tx Nr906 , Onkyo Brand , Onkyo Tx Nr414 , Onkyo Tx Nr515 , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Onkyo Tx Nr807 , Onkyo Ht Rc270 , Onkyo Tx Nr708 , Onkyo Tx Nr808 , Onkyo Tx Nr1008
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page