The "OFFICIAL" Onkyo RC270, NR708,NR808, NR1008, NR5008, Integra 80.2 Failure Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1698 Old 07-24-2011, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritfox View Post

For me personally, I too had the 808 and it did fail and I did replace it rather than get the 808 fixed. I replaced it with a Marantz 6005--a receiver in the same class as the 808. I got this in April and have been very happy with it and don't regret my decision to swap this out for the Onkyo.

Thanks, Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1698 Old 07-24-2011, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

AD,

We can't draw any conclusions from the small sampling of owners on the 3008/5008 Owners thread to determine how wide spread the problem is. I would be more inclined to think that there are many more affected owners if you extrapolate these numbers to the general public which is much larger than an internet blog.

Also, the turnaround is not a week for most who have posted on this thread. I've been without my 5008 since June 13th.

Regardless of Onkyo's gesture to repair the units out of warranty who wants to be without their unit potentially for more than 6 weeks. These units are potentially ticking time bombs for those who have not experienced this problem.

Willie

Willie,
Believe me I feel your pain. I took my TX-NR3007 in June 1st and did not get an AVR back until July 7th. Even worse, the 3007 went bad May 15th, but the local Service Center was so backed up they said there was no point taking it in until after Memorial Day. As only HDMI Video was affected while HDMI Audio was functional, I could workaround it. However, what happened after with the Repair Center was nothing short of a nightmare. The biggest sin was releasing it back to me only to find out only the HDMI Video worked on it and the Audio did not. And it only got worse from there.
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #633 of 1698 Old 07-24-2011, 07:21 PM

Recieved my TC-NR808 for Christmas 2011.

Came home tonight and it is not responding to the remote control.

Not good for Onkyo! This is my first experince with Onkyo and the system breaks in 7 months - that's not good.

Guess I'll call Crutchfield tomorrow.
post #634 of 1698 Old 07-24-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skesler View Post

Not good for Onkyo! This is my first experince with Onkyo and the system breaks in 7 months - that's not good.

Pardon me, I find you post funny...
post #635 of 1698 Old 07-24-2011, 09:15 PM

1. Model - TX-NR708
2. Purchase Date or approximate date - 1/24/2011
3. Place where purchased - Newegg
4. First symptom to appear - Remote stopped working. A few hours later it started randomly switching inputs.
5. How long after purchase until first symptom appeared? - 6 months.
6. Was the symptom consistent or intermittent? - Remote not working is consistent, the input switching is so far intermittent.
7. Which symptom(s) (listed above) are you experiencing? - Remote not working, random switching of input sources.
8. If you have contacted Onkyo, and sent in your unit for repair, what where you told the problem is/was? - Calling them tomorrow.
9. If your unit was repaired did the problem come back, if so how long did it take to reappear? - N/A

I'm using Onkytroller (Android app) to control it until I can call them and wait for the shipping label. I live local to Onecall.com and their original main stores (Huppins in Spokane WA) and I'm about to go down and buy a Marantz SR6005 and sell the Onkyo on Craiglist when it comes back!
post #636 of 1698 Old 07-24-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork View Post

Willie,
Believe me I feel your pain. I took my TX-NR3007 in June 1st and did not get an AVR back until July 7th. Even worse, the 3007 went bad May 15th, but the local Service Center was so backed up they said there was no point taking it in until after Memorial Day. As only HDMI Video was affected while HDMI Audio was functional, I could workaround it. However, what happened after with the Repair Center was nothing short of a nightmare. The biggest sin was releasing it back to me only to find out only the HDMI Video worked on it and the Audio did not. And it only got worse from there.
AD

I seem to have similar problem. HDMI out failed to pass video. Tried hookup direct from both DVR and BDP direct to Toshiba DLP and both worked fine with each of the 3 cables I was using. Logically thought it was onkyo. Sent for repair thru retailer - got back in about 5 weeks - hooked it up and.....same problem.

Then tried it thru an LG TV. It worked! Any suggestions (besides getting an LG?) Thanks
post #637 of 1698 Old 07-25-2011, 12:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by skesler View Post

And what do you expect Crutchfield to do for you 7 months after the purchase? Instead you should be calling Onkyo to have them send you a shipping label to have it repaired, because Crutchfield is not going to take it back and refund your money, or fix it for you.
post #638 of 1698 Old 07-25-2011, 06:05 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarav098 View Post

Little B,
That is too bad. Yeah make sure u spray that logic board front and back, thoroughly. Specially on microprocessor side. Also, when you replace the IDE cable, spray the disconnects at the logic and display boards. You can use a soft bristle toothbrush. Remember this stuff gets everywhere when the receiver gets hot.
Don't give up, mine is working like a charm.

Hi. I too had this issue. Integra 80.2. Didn't want to wait weeks for repair. Purchased from radio shack a new ide cable. Also precision electronic cleaner and deoxit contact cleaner. Thanks to Oscarav for clear explanations and photos. Project is relatively easy but tedious with all the screws. Ran the unit all day yesterday...switched between various hdmi sources. Used remote to control everything. No issues ar all. I hope problem is solved.
Marcus

Our Personal Website with movie and music catalog pages.

Marcus & LaMona Home Theater
post #639 of 1698 Old 07-25-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

And what do you expect Crutchfield to do for you 7 months after the purchase? Instead you should be calling Onkyo to have them send you a shipping label to have it repaired, because Crutchfield is not going to take it back and refund your money, or fix it for you.

Really? Someone else here got the 2011 model as a replacement by calling Crutchfield 6 months out when theirs failed. I bought from a different Onkyo authorized online vendor and got my NR808 replaced with a brand new NR809 this month when explaining the problem and mentioning the service bulletins and saying I wasn't going to send my unit to Michigan for potentially 3 months on a unit I bought in January. The online vendor I bought from (authorized Onkyo dealer) took my number, called Onkyo, then returned my call authorized to take back my NR808 and give me an NR809 gratis. All I was out was the $25 to send back the NR808.

Don't ASSUME you're stuck with a unit from this massively defective piece of crap line. This is turning into a major deal with Onkyo, and if you bought from the right vendor (sorry, Newegg customers) they can back you up and potentially get you a new NR809 to replace it obliterating the potential headaches of multiple '08 repairs that may or may not permanently fix the problem.

BTW, the video processing in the NR809 blows the 808 away. It's amazingly better, and the 808 was no slouch.
post #640 of 1698 Old 07-25-2011, 04:54 PM

I have had no problems since removing the conformal coating from the PCB!
When the DHC-80.2 is working correctly- I don't feel that anything can top it at anywhere near the Price!
Knock on Wood!
post #641 of 1698 Old 07-25-2011, 05:04 PM

Has Onkyo confirmed that the rc360 is not affected?
post #642 of 1698 Old 07-25-2011, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello,
No doubt that Onkyo has taken a bashing as a result of what is going on.
Moreover, there are going to be a number of folks who will never purchase Onkyo ever again.

However, even after experiencing almost 2 Months without my 3007 which eventually became a 3008, I am not going to boycott them in the future,

Nothing comes close to the 3008 for the price. Especially at Street Prices. The combination of XT32, DSX, THX Ultra2 Plus, and pretty much every feature out there plus a solid Amplifier Stage is unmatched for the price.

While I do not use the amplification in the 3008, I am considering adding DSX Channels. Moreover, almost every Brand has had a issue requiring Repair. And unlike the other Brands, at least Onkyo is covering the Repair beyond the Warranty and without Proof of Purchase.

Marantz had the "Pop of Death" of the 004's, Denon had Network Card Issues on the xx10 Series, etc. Also, HDMI Boards are an issue for seemingly every Manufacturer.

Also, on my 3008, it did have the Serial Cable Replaced and the other Modifications to prevent this issue. I was actually quite concerned about this when I found out the Build Date. I actually called about this today.

I feel I got pretty lucky in that I sent in a B-Stock TX-NR3007 whose Warranty was going to end in August and got an A-Stock TX-NR3008 that had the Modifications done before being sent out and with a 2 Year Warranty. I actually was going to get a B-Stock 3008, but at the time the Replacement was being Processed, there were not B-Stock 3008's available and they had mercy on me due to how much the local Repair Shop screwed up and how long I had been waiting,

I also think due to what happened with these Models that the x09 will prove to have less issues. Moreover, due to the popularity of Onkyo comes more Owners and thus more folks with issues.
Cheers,
AD

post #643 of 1698 Old 07-25-2011, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdjut View Post

I have had no problems since removing the conformal coating from the PCB!
When the DHC-80.2 is working correctly- I don't feel that anything can top it at anywhere near the Price!
Knock on Wood!

yeah, well...this whole situation really chaps my ass

you're right kd, the 80.2 is a fantastic unit "when it's working..."

right now mine is golden...but who knows for how long? i've only had it 2 months...

who knows for certain if six months from now, the "fix" you describe ends up being ineffective after all...?

i've been in this hobby for nigh on 40 years...never experienced ANYTHING like this before

i know...these things happen. just not used to it on this scale...

bottom line for me...owning a product of this caliber, we should not have to "knock on wood" hoping first, it does'nt fail, then if it does, hoping the repair is effective...
post #644 of 1698 Old 07-25-2011, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello,
I know the situation is frustrating, but at least Onkyo has found out the culprit and have a fix for it. Moreover, even should it fail after your Warranty ends, you still will be covered.

I have literally read every page of your SSP's Owner's Thread as when my Replacement TX-NR3008 was In Transit, I seriously considered immediately selling it and getting an 80.2 instead. Especially after being offered an awesome price from an Integra Dealer.

With that being said, there have not been a huge number of folks needing to send in their 80.2's for this Repair. Same goes in the 3008/5008 Thread which shares a great deal with it. It seems the 708 and 808 seem to be most affected by this. It well might be due to more of them being sold due to them being less expensive.
Cheers,
AD

post #645 of 1698 Old 07-25-2011, 08:21 PM

Please refer to me as Ticket #94504. 708 purchased late March '11 at Fry's. Today Onkyo informed me I've allready received the shipping box/label for my 708 to go to Michigan at my residence? Double checked my shipping address with service rep. It was correct. Hold more...15 min. Change in plans, box/ label for Hunnington Beach Ca. supposed to be coming. I speculate the outsourced repair center "closed" in Denver due to the consistency of Onkyo's ineptitude on this defect. Now we all send them to the same place? What does the repair center make? Not enough to be on the receiving end of this fiasco. The process seems to be trial and repair. The coating is there for a reason. Removing the coating and replacing two cables doesn't mitigate unforeseen damages of a previous fatal defect. That's simply just trying to get the thing to work. Seperate but related issue. It's obvious during a period of time Onkyo had the correction in production and continued to sell the known defective units still in inventory. We don't do that in my country. E-tailers and stereo shops know their customers got burned, thus they get burned, offering refunds and exchanges. I wonder where their returns go to? Back to Onkyo? Don't get why they will exchange some and not others. 30 day at Fry's. I know it's not their fault. Sincerely, I'm VERY, VERY uncomfortable about any opinion in support of Onkyo's deceitfull handling of this. WHAAAAAA!!!! Please note...no cusswords. Lot of words for no profanity, damn.
post #646 of 1698 Old 07-25-2011, 08:32 PM

If the cleaning trick is done correctly, is there any way Onkyo would deny further service, like stickers if you break them voids the warranty, etc?

I'm handy enough to dissasemble something and spray it off and re-assemble it, but I don't want to remove any possibility of it being warranteed later.
post #647 of 1698 Old 07-25-2011, 09:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin4life View Post

Really? Someone else here got the 2011 model as a replacement by calling Crutchfield 6 months out when theirs failed.

Yeah, and another person had no such luck with Crutchfield when he called.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin4life View Post

I bought from a different Onkyo authorized online vendor and got my NR808 replaced with a brand new NR809 this month when explaining the problem and mentioning the service bulletins and saying I wasn't going to send my unit to Michigan for potentially 3 months on a unit I bought in January. The online vendor I bought from (authorized Onkyo dealer) took my number, called Onkyo, then returned my call authorized to take back my NR808 and give me an NR809 gratis. All I was out was the $25 to send back the NR808.

Don't ASSUME you're stuck with a unit from this massively defective piece of crap line.

And don't also ASSUME, that they are going to just give everyone a newer model instead of fixing your existing one!
post #648 of 1698 Old 07-25-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthandluke View Post

yeah, well...this whole situation really chaps my ass

you're right kd, the 80.2 is a fantastic unit "when it's working..."

right now mine is golden...but who knows for how long? i've only had it 2 months...

who knows for certain if six months from now, the "fix" you describe ends up being ineffective after all...?

i've been in this hobby for nigh on 40 years...never experienced ANYTHING like this before

i know...these things happen. just not used to it on this scale...

bottom line for me...owning a product of this caliber, we should not have to "knock on wood" hoping first, it does'nt fail, then if it does, hoping the repair is effective...

I agree. But, I've got a feeling (seriously) that the conformal coating removal is the fix!
post #649 of 1698 Old 07-26-2011, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Bought my 5508 about two months ago and barely even use it. Tonight the unit wouldn't respond to remote commands. After many tries and around 10 minutes, it started working. Confused?
post #650 of 1698 Old 07-26-2011, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Hello,
It really seems there might need to be a Silent Recall where Onkyo Ships Return Labels to any Owners of the Affected AVR's who ask for them. The ideal would be to do it when going on Vacation or otherwise Out of Town.
AD

post #651 of 1698 Old 07-26-2011, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Just a friendly reminder to keep this poll updated with any failures:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1347982
post #652 of 1698 Old 07-26-2011, 08:18 AM

I can see the headline in AVR Travel and Liesure. Oinkyo products plan huge So. Cal. summer bash!!! See what happens when we give them a processor and an ethernet connection. I'm not all sour grapes. The irony exists in the fact the wife and I made the practical choice of investing in home entertainment in lue of vacation this year. She wanted to go to So. Cal. too. Very funny. Now the $800 worthless black box is going to the bash while my friend irony and myself stay home and listen to the wife call me an idiot, while staring at all new 60 in. LED, surround setup and PS3, wishing to play the music on the PC.
post #653 of 1698 Old 07-26-2011, 11:26 AM

This is my first post here. Thanks for having me. My TX-NR708 suffered the same fate as well. It was purchased back in February. In June, the remote become unresponsive. A few hours later, it was stuck on cbl/sat, and I had to unplug it. As well as everyone here, my unit was now useless also. This was my first Onkyo receiver, and it will definitely be my last. I did not buy the receiver online. I must admit, I am very thankful I ended up paying more and bought it locally. I argued with the store I purchased from for 4 days, and finally, they gave me a refund. I refuse to have a receiver repaired which has been manufactured with parts that are known to fail. I ended up with a full refund. I purchased the Pioneer VSX-1325-K a couple weeks ago. I live in Canada. As everyone is aware at avsforum, this is the Pioneer Elite VSX-33. I have absolutely no problems with this receiver.

When I contacted Onkyo support, they were extremely rude to me. I was completely shocked to have been treated so poorly. In all my years of buying audio gear, this is the worst I have ever encountered from a manufacturer. In the past, I have always purchased Denon and Harman Kardon. I thought I would give Onkyo a try. Well, it looks like I picked the wrong year to buy one of their products. I wish everyone the best of luck in dealing with Onkyo, and getting a functioning unit back. Thanks very much for having me at the forum. I have very good news for VSX-33/VSX-1325-K owners as well. If you own either of those receivers, I will be posting the firmware/update procedure in the owners thread.
post #654 of 1698 Old 07-26-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyW75 View Post

This is my first post here. Thanks for having me. My TX-NR708 suffered the same fate as well. It was purchased back in February. In June, the remote become unresponsive. A few hours later, it was stuck on cbl/sat, and I had to unplug it. As well as everyone here, my unit was now useless also. This was my first Onkyo receiver, and it will definitely be my last. I did not buy the receiver online. I must admit, I am very thankful I ended up paying more and bought it locally. I argued with the store I purchased from for 4 days, and finally, they gave me a refund. I refuse to have a receiver repaired which has been manufactured with parts that are known to fail. I ended up with a full refund. I purchased the Pioneer VSX-1325-K a couple weeks ago. I live in Canada. As everyone is aware at avsforum, this is the Pioneer Elite VSX-33. I have absolutely no problems with this receiver.

When I contacted Onkyo support, they were extremely rude to me. I was completely shocked to have been treated so poorly. In all my years of buying audio gear, this is the worst I have ever encountered from a manufacturer. In the past, I have always purchased Denon and Harman Kardon. I thought I would give Onkyo a try. Well, it looks like I picked the wrong year to buy one of their products. I wish everyone the best of luck in dealing with Onkyo, and getting a functioning unit back. Thanks very much for having me at the forum. I have very good news for VSX-33/VSX-1325-K owners as well. If you own either of those receivers, I will be posting the firmware/update procedure in the owners thread.

I was going to wait and see before making a remark about Onkyo's support. But since DannyW75 mentioned it, I will agree with him.
I have emailed Onkyo several times about this matter and asked some very specific questions that they really should have answered. All I get back is a link to their press release and they make no attempt to answer any of my questions. I really just wish I could get a refund and move on. My 808 was really a once-in-a-lifetime gift to myself. What a mistake
post #655 of 1698 Old 07-26-2011, 12:25 PM

When I called Onkyo support, they hung up on me the first time. The second time I called, they denied this issue existed. When I stated I had seen the press release page, they put me on hold, and then hung up on me again. When I called back, they admitted to the issue, and refused to answer any of my questions about quality control. The rudeness of this company truly shocked me.
post #656 of 1698 Old 07-26-2011, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello,
Whatever you do, do not call the 800 Number. By far the most knowledgeable and capable CSR's are available when you call the 201-785-2600 New Jersey HQ. These folks will be far more aware of the Service Campaign as when you call the 800 Number I am pretty sure it is an Overseas Call Center and the Campaign is only applicable to the US and Canada.
Cheers,
AD

post #657 of 1698 Old 07-26-2011, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyW75 View Post

Post in the 1120 owner's thread too. it has a lot of traffic.
post #658 of 1698 Old 07-26-2011, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork View Post

Hello,
Whatever you do, do not call the 800 Number. By far the most knowledgeable and capable CSR's are available when you call the 201-785-2600 New Jersey HQ. These folks will be far more aware of the Service Campaign as when you call the 800 Number I am pretty sure it is an Overseas Call Center and the Campaign is only applicable to the US and Canada.
Cheers,
AD

If Onkyo were smart, they would be insuring against products recall with commerical insurance (I do this for a living). In addition to covering the expenses of the actual recall, they would also get allocated money for PR expenses (ie creating a call center to field these calls and keep customers happy).
post #659 of 1698 Old 07-26-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Post in the 1120 owner's thread too. it has a lot of traffic.

Hey winston9332,

Unfortunately, I have not received confirmation yet that the firmware also works on the VSX-32/VSX-1120-K as well. I will definitely post an update once I find out.
post #660 of 1698 Old 07-26-2011, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
While I'm not excusing Onkyo's behavior, people should realize that most low level customer support employees aren't going to answer or even be able to answer a lot of specific questions someone might have. They're likely paid terrible and are given the least amount of info in the CSR chain of command. Now, if you get to a higher level of support, then you may have some luck. But, the first guy that answers probably isn't going to be able to tell you a whole lot and is most likely treated rudely by customers all day, so they in turn just decide to be rude to anyone who calls. Dumb way to run a business? Absolutely. But, it's not exclusive to Onkyo.

Look into any thread where people are talking about a company's QC issues and or customer service. Lot's of companies have lines of a product that end up failing and most companies deny it or try and avoid the issue. Most companies tend to have a large percentage of rude customer service agents. Why? Cause they get to listen to customers call in and rage bitch at them all day long over things that are not within their control, or their fault.

As I said, I'm not excusing Onkyo, but people shouldn't be so hard on them when that's how 99% of corporate America works and operates. Yeah, occasionally you find a company or customer service rep who will offer to send you a brand new unit, no questions asked. But, most all companies, want you to send it in and sometimes it can be a lengthy repair. It happens with every company.

I'm sure everyone remembers one of the biggest QC nightmares of all time, the XBox 360 red ring of death. Microsoft denied for the longest time that their console had a higher than average failure rate. Finally, they caved to the pressure and extended everyone's warranties. How many people do you think called Microsoft about their broken consoles only to be told by the customer service rep, "I have no idea what you're talking about"? Even though it was well documented across the internet.

Samsung LCD capacitor failures... Look in the LCD forum and you'll find about 10 million posts on them quickly and Samsung's subsequent denial of a problem, until finally cracking and extending warranties. Mitsubishi and DLP engines failing at a catostrophic rate on a few of their lines... You can find that in the DLP section.

To hell with it. I'll buy another Onkyo if the product tickles my fancy!

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Nr717 , Onkyo Tx Nr906 , Onkyo Brand , Onkyo Tx Nr414 , Onkyo Tx Nr515 , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Onkyo Tx Nr807 , Onkyo Ht Rc270 , Onkyo Tx Nr708 , Onkyo Tx Nr808 , Onkyo Tx Nr1008
Gear in this thread - Nr807 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page