The "OFFICIAL" Onkyo RC270, NR708,NR808, NR1008, NR5008, Integra 80.2 Failure Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1698 Old 07-31-2011, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron52 View Post

I know Vann's isn't willing to work with their customers! I fought with a rep for nearly a week and kept getting the same response.. "Its after the 30-day return window and you will have to take it up with Onkyo." I ended up sending it to Michigan and just got it back and its performing as new.. Hopefully it lasts..
Vanns offers great prices but their customer service is subpar to Crutchfield!
Thanks my 02 cents...

That wasn't my experience. They were equivalent to Crutchfield on my 808->809 replacement 6 months out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1698 Old 07-31-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post

Once again, you keep saying this. Once again, it's simply not true. Onkyo has repeated to me over and over again that it MUST be done by the regional service center. MUST.

Unless you bought from a zero-support place like Newegg, you're better off trying to deal with the dealer. I think there's some kind of secret recall from Onkyo where dealers can exchange the bad units for the current model year, because on mine the answer was "no" until I asked (pleaded? begged?) the vendor to call Onkyo armed with the service bulletin numbers and press release I emailed them. I also said I wasn't going to wait up to 3 months to get my 808 repaired (the time quoted me from the facility about a month ago including 1 week shipping each way). It was unacceptable for a basically new, expensive product, and the recall shows it's not just a normal warranty fluke.

When they called back they were authorized to take back my 808 and give me an 809.
post #723 of 1698 Old 07-31-2011, 12:10 PM

1. Model- 708
2. Purchase Date or approximate date- 12/2010
3. Place where purchased - Amazon.com
4. First symptom to appear - Unit not responding to remote and cycling through listening modes rapidly
5. How long after purchase until first symptom appeared? - 5 months since purchase date, 3 months since first use
6. Was the symptom consistent or intermittent? - Intermittent for the most part. Remote has stopped responding much more regularly lately
7. Which symptom(s) (listed above) are you experiencing? - no response from remote, and cycling through listening modes
8. If you have contacted Onkyo, and sent in your unit for repair, what where you told the problem is/was? n/a, will update after I contact them this week
9. If your unit was repaired did the problem come back, if so how long did it take to reappear? n/a
post #724 of 1698 Old 07-31-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melgon View Post
1. Model: Onkyo PR-SC5508
2. Purchased on: 04/01/2011
3. Purchased from: Custom Integrator/Retailer
4. First sign of trouble: Front Volume Control not working
5. Lifespan until first problem: Noticed it for the first time today
6. Problem frequency: Permanent
7. Description: Front Volume Control dial not working, however volume will work over RS-232 or IP. Resetting the unit ("VCR/DVR + Power") did not resolve problem. Neither did unplugging the unit.
Unit was always cooled properly with cooling fans on top. Never had a problem with my PR-SC886.
8. Onkyo support history: Will call local Onkyo/Integra factory representative tomorrow
9. Resolution: Pending
I finally had my PR-SC5508 replaced by my integrator. We had to wait for approval through the local Integra/Onkyo representative but the warranty exchange finally got approved. My dealer received a brandnew unit (serial number confirmed not to be affected by ribbon cable bug) directly from Onkyo on Friday (2 days ago). The total time from reporting the problem to my dealer until I received the replacement unit was about two weeks. You may save a couple of bucks buying from some online retailer but you definetely get better customer service if you buy from a local installer. My guy was even able to move the Audyssey Pro license to the new unit and restore all the Audyssey settings as he had saved all the measured values from the original Audyssey calibration on his laptop computer. PM me if you are looking for a great Onkyo dealer/installer in the Los Angeles area.
post #725 of 1698 Old 07-31-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin4life View Post
That wasn't my experience. They were equivalent to Crutchfield on my 808->809 replacement 6 months out.
Check your PM
post #726 of 1698 Old 08-01-2011, 11:05 AM

I guess these retailers can be selective on who they decide to deal with..
post #727 of 1698 Old 08-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post

Once again, you keep saying this. Once again, it's simply not true. Onkyo has repeated to me over and over again that it MUST be done by the regional service center. MUST.

Then if that is the case...why are local servicenters performing these repairs ? PM me if u r still having problems and I'll 'splain.
post #728 of 1698 Old 08-01-2011, 03:28 PM

1. TX-NR 3008
2. Purchased on May, 2011
3. Purchased from Accessories4Less (on-line, refurbished outlet)
4. Stopped responding to remote control
5. Started happening about 3 months after purchase
6. Problem was intermittent. Reset didn't fix, but would randomly re-occur.
7. After remote stopped working, direct input buttons would not work correctly--they were mixed up, like the "enter" button would change the listening mode, etc.
8. Fortunately I'm only a few miles from service center, so will drop off tomorrow and see what happens.

Major bummer. I've previously owned a Denon and Pioneer Elite, but was swayed to Onkyo this time around based on general reviews. I'll post again once I get it "fixed." I wouldn't recommend an Onkyo to anyone at this point.
post #729 of 1698 Old 08-03-2011, 04:04 PM

Liked: 11
1. Model rc270
2. Purchase Date or approximate date 2/15/2011
3. Place where purchased Amazon
4. First symptom to appear Caught on fire
5. How long after purchase until first symptom appeared? 5 months
6. Was the symptom consistent or intermittent? not on fire anymore.. but wont turn on
7. Which symptom(s) (listed above) are you experiencing?
not working
8. If you have contacted Onkyo, and sent in your unit for repair, what where you told the problem is/was?
gave to the onkyo certified technition today, waiting on a response.

i can't believe my reciver caught on fire. it literally shot flames out of the bottom and the top.

---------------------------
my dorm setup
post #730 of 1698 Old 08-03-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimeade View Post
1. Model rc270
2. Purchase Date or approximate date 2/15/2011
3. Place where purchased Amazon
4. First symptom to appear Caught on fire
5. How long after purchase until first symptom appeared? 5 months
6. Was the symptom consistent or intermittent? not on fire anymore.. but wont turn on
7. Which symptom(s) (listed above) are you experiencing?
not working
8. If you have contacted Onkyo, and sent in your unit for repair, what where you told the problem is/was?
gave to the onkyo certified technition today, waiting on a response.

i can't believe my reciver caught on fire. it literally shot flames out of the bottom and the top.
Damn, sorry to hear about this failure, dude. I did laugh a bit at your description in number 6 though.

You are lucky your house did not burn down !!!!!!
post #731 of 1698 Old 08-04-2011, 04:54 AM

Has anybody bought a 708 from Amazon?... Would they offer a replacement 709 like Crutchfield?...
post #732 of 1698 Old 08-04-2011, 07:34 AM

I know several people have sent their receivers in for repair. I would like to hear if the repairs have been successful or not. Also if you have done the repair yourself, was the repair successful.
post #733 of 1698 Old 08-04-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yruaskin View Post

I know several people have sent their receivers in for repair. I would like to hear if the repairs have been successful or not. Also if you have done the repair yourself, was the repair successful.

I had success with the cleaning of the PCB mentioned earlier (thanks much to Oscar). The conformal coating was the problem, once it is removed the DHC-80.2 works flawlessly.The 40 pin ribbon cable also caused a problem with the volume! Get the PCB board conformal coating removed and you'll have a rewarding AVP or reciever. Onkyo/ Integra needs to get on board with this. I have a BS degree in Industrial Electronics and have worked in the field since 1989. No, I sure don't know everything- but even a blind hog gets an acorn on ocassion!
post #734 of 1698 Old 08-04-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyW75 View Post

Damn, sorry to hear about this failure, dude. I did laugh a bit at your description in number 6 though.

You are lucky your house did not burn down !!!!!!

hahah iknow! if i wasnt at home and this happened, i would have been screwed!

i gave my receiver to tim at all brite in houston texas. they said the audio technician would be out for the next 3 days. ill up date my post with how things are progressing

[8/2/2011]
caught on fire while watching a movie
[8/4/2011]
gave to all brite tv repair in houston texas
estimated time of repair - 10 days

---------------------------
my dorm setup
post #735 of 1698 Old 08-04-2011, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdjut View Post

I had success with the cleaning of the PCB mentioned earlier (thanks much to Oscar). The conformal coating was the problem, once it is removed the DHC-80.2 works flawlessly.The 40 pin ribbon cable was and is not the cause of the problems! I reinstalled my original 40 pin ribbon cable just to verify. Get the PCB board conformal coating removed and you'll have a rewarding AVP or reciever. Onkyo/ Integra needs to get on board with this. I have a BS degree in Industrial Electronics and have worked in the field since 1989. No, I sure don't know everything- but even a blind hog gets an acorn on ocassion!;)

haha! So is the problem that the coating is conductive (via the circuit board) and thus shorting out?

---------------------------------------
post #736 of 1698 Old 08-05-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post

haha! So is the problem that the coating is conducive (via the circuit board) and thus shorting out?

It's probable that it's conductive at higher temperatures. I can't rule out that the conformal covering simply caused a heat related problem- either. I did not measure the conformal coating for conductance- I simply removed it completely.
post #737 of 1698 Old 08-05-2011, 05:53 PM

A Wikipedia article mentions moisture as being one cause of conductivity in conformal coatings??

(Search Wikipedia - sorry can't post url's yet)
post #738 of 1698 Old 08-05-2011, 05:56 PM

Yep, moisture conducts electricity.

It is why you get out of the pool during a thunder storm...
post #739 of 1698 Old 08-05-2011, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

^^ a.k.a. humidity - as it may relate to environmental variables and the unit's performance issues
Here's the wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conformal_coating

What I'm not understanding - is that the coating should protect against humidity/being conductive. How could it entrap it?
Or is it that there is too much coating, thus entraping it (humidity/moisture)? Is that possible?

Otherwise, isn't it suppose to be "good" to have the conformal covering?
Could it be - the conformal coating is contaminated in of itself?

-------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdjut View Post

It's probable that it's conductive at higher temperatures. I can't rule out that the conformal covering simply caused a heat related problem- either. I did not measure the conformal coating for conductance- I simply removed it completely.

Wish you would have been more thorough kdjut, we could have had a really good think tank session going. lol

post #740 of 1698 Old 08-05-2011, 09:48 PM

I am declaring victory (Integra 80.2). Purchased from Radio Shack: a new ide cable, also precision electronic cleaner and deoxit contact cleaner. Did the easy but tedious (all the screws) repairs. Been a couple of weeks now with very hard use of the pre-amp. No problems at all! The sound is absolutely glorious!

Marcus

Our Personal Website with movie and music catalog pages.

Marcus & LaMona Home Theater
post #741 of 1698 Old 08-05-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post

Yep, moisture conducts electricity.

It is why you get out of the pool during a thunder storm...

Thanks for the info, next time there's a thunder storm, I'll remember to take the receiver out of the pool. LOL.

Seriously though, I thought the coating was to protect components, what's the point of it if it's going to create electrical shorts in humid (moist) conditions.
post #742 of 1698 Old 08-06-2011, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

^^ a.k.a. humidity - as it may relate to environmental variables and the unit's performance issues
Here's the wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conformal_coating

What I'm not understanding - is that the coating should protect against humidity/being conductive. How could it entrap it?
Or is it that there is too much coating, thus entraping it (humidity/moisture)? Is that possible?

Otherwise, isn't it suppose to be "good" to have the conformal covering?
Could it be - the conformal coating is contaminated in of itself?

-------------
Wish you would have been more thorough kdjut, we could have had a really good think tank session going. lol

The only entity that really knows what caused these issues is Onkyo. I know some on the forum have remedied their own problems and have drawn conclusions based on their trouble shooting methods, but nothing on my repair ticket mentions conformal coating though that may have been a part of the issues that I and others were experiencing.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #743 of 1698 Old 08-06-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

The only entity that really knows what caused these issues is Onkyo. I know some on the forum have remedied their own problems and have drawn conclusions based on their trouble shooting methods, but nothing on my repair ticket mentions conformal coating though that may have been a part of the issues that I and others were experiencing.

I too would be capable and would rather spend a few dollars to fix this problem myself (when it does happen to my 3 month old 808).
Yes, it is inexcusable that Onkyo will not make the fix available to those who would rather do it themselves. They will not even answer my emails about this problem.
It seem like there are several things that could be causing this, not just one thing in particular?
Some have fixed it by replacing cables and connectors. Other have just removed the conformal coating with success.

As others have said, this would void the warranty if anything else happened.

This situation takes all the happy out of buying this receiver .
post #744 of 1698 Old 08-06-2011, 03:04 PM

Liked: 12
My 808 has been working flawlessly since I bought it in January. I have been following the fun here just to garnish some information on the issue. I am glad to see that Onkyo will warranty the issue long after the original warranty is over, because, even though I use mine pretty hard, it has shown no signs of the issue...of course now I have jinxed it

I am from Canada and according to the Onkyo website, I have a service centre about 3.5 hours from where I live. However I am an Electronics Technologist by trade and would plan on repairing the unit myself when the time comes. There is no need for me to try to repair until it acts up as I will have no certain way of knowing whether my fix solved the problem or not.

Did anyone ever determine definitively whether the serial numbers after a certain sequence are not affected by the issue? I read through but it seems that there have been a couple of high number failures as well. Hopefully I am wrong.

I need to crawl behind my system and check my number.

Funny thing is I have had a 100% failure rate with every Stereo/HT Pre-amp/reciever I have ever owned. My volume control failed under warranty on my old Sony TA-F4A integrated amp in the early 80's. My Sony TAE1000ES had the IR sensor go bad on it under warranty in 1991. My Sony TAE9000ES had the dreaded dim display/no audio output failure (fixed that one myself off warranty - I love the internet) - maybe I should stop buying Sony - oh wait - I did.

Rick
post #745 of 1698 Old 08-06-2011, 04:12 PM

seems I too have the dreaded cycling through random listening modes curse! And it reared it's ugly head on my birthday, just as I was about to sit relax and enjoy some movies.... ugh

1. Model: 808
2. Purchase Date or approximate date: in march of this year.
3. Place where purchased: Amazon
4. First symptom to appear: cycling through random listening modes.
5. How long after purchase until first symptom appeared?: 4 months!
6. Was the symptom consistent or intermittent?: consistent!
7. Which symptom(s) (listed above) are you experiencing?:
cycling through random listening modes...
8. If you have contacted Onkyo, and sent in your unit for repair, what where you told the problem is/was?:
called Onkyo, they are sending me a shipping label to send to a repair center.
post #746 of 1698 Old 08-06-2011, 11:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

Right. Which was my point many posts ago in this thread. A person could be possibly opening up their unit (circuitry) to other harmful elements by removing the conformal coating themselves. Maybe the circuit board(s) should be replaced entirely (with newly coated circuit boards) rather than simply being cleaned. I don't know enough about the subject to form a solid conclusion to the what if scenario.

post #747 of 1698 Old 08-07-2011, 04:28 AM

Liked: 18
1) PRSC5508
2) 12/10/2010
3) ABT
4) Cycling input modes, unresponsive to anything else
5) 8 months
6) Consistent
7) Cycling input modes, no other buttons work
8) Hoping for dealer exchange, will post back

Update: No dealer exchange. Horrible experience with Onkyo customer service. Ordered a Marantz AV7005 and will put the PRSC5508 on Ebay after it is repaired. This was my 3rd Onkyo prepro and now my last Onkyo purchase.

Klipsch RF-7II(2)
Klipsch RC-64II
Klipsch RS-62II(2)
Klipsch Cornwalls(2)
Velodyne HGS-15
HSU VTF-15H
Marantz AV8801
Emotiva XPA-5
Emotiva XPA-3(2)
OPPO BDP-103
JVC DLA-X3 (121" screen)
post #748 of 1698 Old 08-07-2011, 05:27 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Right. Which was my point many posts ago in this thread. A person could be possibly opening up their unit (circuitry) to other harmful elements by removing the conformal coating themselves. Maybe the circuit board(s) should be replaced entirely (with newly coated circuit boards) rather than simply being cleaned. I don't know enough about the subject to form a solid conclusion to the what if scenario.

Conformal coatings are not a usual observation in home electronics. Some portable electronics and items that do have a possibility of being exposed to the elements do. I am at a loss as to why Onkyo has used this procedure.
post #749 of 1698 Old 08-07-2011, 01:56 PM

Well, my NR708 looks like this right now:

http://www.moparhowto.com/pictures/H...r708_apart.jpg

I just finished spraying it with the Radioshack Electronics Cleaner ($$) and some DeOxit on the IDE connectors ($$$). I took lots of pics and will do a full write up. It was a lot bigger pain to take apart than I thought it would be, but I pulled the entire display board out so I could clean both sides.

The display board is best described as "gooey". None of the other components I've looked at in the receiver are covered in this crap as far as I could tell. The display board was so gooey I had to wash my hands twice to get the crap off.

I have to replace the IDE cable for sure... the one that was installed by Onkyo was a piece of crap, I've never had an IDE cable fall apart on me before I disconnected the one from the display board on the NR708. Hopefully a double ended standard PC IDE cable will work fine, Radio Shack doesn't carry squat for PC innards as far as I could tell. I have tons of the standard master/slave cables for PCs though.

This isn't for the faint of heart.
post #750 of 1698 Old 08-07-2011, 05:30 PM

1. TX-NR708
2. 03/22/2011
3. BrandsMart
4. no HDMI access on front panel
5. July (07)
6. still no hdmi on front panel and now have the cycle thru listening modes happening all the time
7. cycling thru listening modes
8. contacted Onkyo and waiting on return label .... have to ship to NY though
9. Not looking forward to NY trip for my receiver so I'm going to contact BrandMart in the morning and see if I can convince them to take this back and upgrade me to the 709...wish me luck!!!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Nr717 , Onkyo Tx Nr906 , Onkyo Brand , Onkyo Tx Nr414 , Onkyo Tx Nr515 , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Onkyo Tx Nr807 , Onkyo Ht Rc270 , Onkyo Tx Nr708 , Onkyo Tx Nr808 , Onkyo Tx Nr1008
Gear in this thread - Nr807 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page