The "OFFICIAL" Onkyo RC270, NR708,NR808, NR1008, NR5008, Integra 80.2 Failure Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 1701 Old 08-15-2011, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks guys. I will call them tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1701 Old 08-16-2011, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork View Post

Hello,
The point of it being a cheap fix is not to excuse it. Rather, things like HDMI Boards cost around 1000 Dollars. Denon's xx10's Network Card issues are still causing many problems as well and is another issue that is not remotely a possible DIY Fix.

And if you look at the individual Owner Threads, you will see that the majority of x08 Owners have not had this issue and that it is primarily affecting a segment of the production run.I get it to many, they will never purchase another Onkyo. All I can say is there really has not been a Brand that has not had some issue in the HDMI Era. However, my point is that I am grateful what is wrong is not an expensive problem that perhaps in the future might not be covered like HDMI Boards or Network Cards.

AD,

These Owner Threads represent a small minority of actual affected owners. The general buying public do not frequent these internet owner blogs; just us audio and video enthusiast. The actual number is probably much higher as a percentage of units actually in circulation in my opinion. It would be interesting to know how many units are actually affected. In addition, there are still units out there that will be affected at some point with this problem. The old ticking time bomb.

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #813 of 1701 Old 08-16-2011, 07:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 10
The ETA of the micro board required by United Radio to repair the damage done by my local authorized service center during their IDE "fix" is November 15, 2011. This will have marked six months without my processor. I only had a functional unit for three and a half months before then.

My time timeline goes:
1. 2/15/11-- Purchased from Hi-Fi Heaven in Green Bay, WI
2. mid-June-- Started failing with all the problems listed in this thread.
3. 6/30/11 -- Arrived at Norman's Electronics (local authorized service center) for IDE fix.
4. 7/26/11-- Arrived at United Radio for further repairs to the micro board caused by Norman's Electronics.

Given the prolonged backorder on this micro board is three months from today, am I in a position to start pursuing a new or refurbished unit from any of the above repair centers, my dealer (who won't bother returning my calls now), or Onkyo outright? I don't really know where to begin this process and would appreciate some thoughts or guidance from the folks here.

PSN: KyFriedNate | XBL: KyFriedNate
My SACD Collection | My DVD-A Collection
post #814 of 1701 Old 08-16-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseract View Post

Sounds like someone has been dinking around in the Network settings and has turned on the option to allow remote control over the network. In this state it never quite powers down. I had this enabled for a while to allow use of Onkytroller on my Android phone to turn it off/on when my remote stopped working. I think it's called "Enable Network Control" under the "network" configuration settings.

Thanks Teseract. Yes, I did dink around with that remote control setting but 8 months ago when I purchased the unit and I haven't changed it since. I noticed that the receiver doesn't go all the way into standby and stays very warm just recently; no longer than 2 weeks ago so I'm not 100% sure that is the cause.

I'll try disabling it to see if that helps.
post #815 of 1701 Old 08-16-2011, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACSlater99 View Post

Hey guys,

I own a TX-NR708, purchased earlier this year and I've been reading all of these posts (and others from other forums) about how this particular model and other Onkyos are starting to fail; failing mainly in regard to the units not responding to remotes and random input cycling.

I'm not having any of these issues (yet) but my receiver has seemed to not power off into standby properly. I recall that in the past after shutting it off with the remote, it would go into standby and simply cool right down completely and turning it back on would produce a double-clicking noise and it would come on successfully. Now for some reason, after turning it off, it stays very warm to the touch and when turning it back on, there's zero sound at all. It comes on and works properly but is always hot now.

I'm just concerned of why it stays so warm when in standby. HDMI Control setting has always been and is currently disabled. Has anyone else had this happen?

Thanks.

Hi ACSlater99, a member had a similiar issue which was solved by turning HDMI Control to On and back Off. If this doesn't work try removing the power cord from wall outlet for a few minutes or reset the unit back to factory default.
post #816 of 1701 Old 08-16-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi ACSlater99, a member had a similiar issue which was solved by turning HDMI Control to On and back Off. If this doesn't work try removing the power cord from wall outlet for a few minutes or reset the unit back to factory default.

Thanks JChin.

I have pulled the power plug for a few minutes then plugged it back in and the issue is still present. One thing I did not do is what you've suggested about the HDMI Control setting. I'll try the enable/disable trick it to see if that takes care of it.

Thanks again for everyone's quick replies. I appreciate it.
post #817 of 1701 Old 08-16-2011, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan_R View Post

The ETA of the micro board required by United Radio to repair the damage done by my local authorized service center during their IDE "fix" is November 15, 2011. This will have marked six months without my processor. I only had a functional unit for three and a half months before then.

My time timeline goes:
2. mid-June-- Started failing Failed mid June with all the problems in this thread.
3. 6/30/11 -- Arrived at Norman's Electronics (local authorized service center) for IDE fix.
4. 7/26/11-- Arrived at United Radio for further repairs to the micro board caused by Norman's Electronics.

Given the prolonged backorder on this micro board is three months from today, am I in a position to start pursuing a new or refurbished unit from any of the above repair centers, my dealer (who won't bother returning my calls now), or Onkyo outright? I don't really know where to begin this process and would appreciate some thoughts or guidance from the folks here.

Hello,
I would certainly call the 201 Onkyo Phone Number. I have heard some bad things about Norman's which I believe is in Atlanta, GA. Especially with one of their Service Center's botching the Repair and if the Board is Back Ordered that long, it really seems like you have a compelling case. Even something like Small Claims Court. Truly sorry this is happening to you.

United Radio is a Regional Service Center so I would really try to plead your case with them as well. They definitely have a closer relationship with Onkyo than local Service Centers.
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #818 of 1701 Old 08-16-2011, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

AD,

These Owner Threads represent a small minority of actual affected owners. The general buying public do not frequent these internet owner blogs; just us audio and video enthusiast. The actual number is probably much higher as a percentage of units actually in circulation in my opinion. It would be interesting to know how many units are actually affected. In addition, there are still units out there that will be affected at some point with this problem. The old ticking time bomb.

Willie

Willie,
If the numbers were that high, I really think there would be a CAL like the numerous ones brought against Sony with their SXRD's. And as only a certain batch of Models are most likely to be affected, I would not call them all "ticking time bombs"

Again, regardless of the numbers, for a decent number of folks to need to send in their AVR and be without their HT for sometimes a prolonged period of time really is terrible. Heaven knows it has utterly bashed Onkyo's reputation.
AD

post #819 of 1701 Old 08-16-2011, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:

My time timeline goes:
2. mid-June-- Started failing Failed mid June with all the problems in this thread.

I would definitely be calling Onkyo. That turnaround time is unacceptable.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #820 of 1701 Old 08-16-2011, 11:15 AM

Liked: 15
Just got off the phone with Adams Electronics in Huntington Beach. They recently became the Onkyo Regional Center for the West Coast (everything East of Colorado). This occurred mid July with the closing of DTR in Denver.
My unit arrived yesterday andI called to get an update on turn around. I was told the wait has been routinely about 2 weeks, but this was prior to becoming a regional service center. They could not estimate the turn around time at this time for me, but I was given the "service number" for my AVR and was encouraged to check back in a week or two for a progress update.

I asked about the number of units they had been working on due to the press release. I was told they are getting about 12 units shipped to their facility daily!
post #821 of 1701 Old 08-16-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTrauma View Post

Just got off the phone with Adams Electronics in Huntington Beach. They recently became the Onkyo Regional Center for the West Coast (everything East of Colorado). This occurred mid July with the closing of DTR in Denver.
My unit arrived yesterday andI called to get an update on turn around. I was told the wait has been routinely about 2 weeks, but this was prior to becoming a regional service center. They could not estimate the turn around time at this time for me, but I was given the "service number" for my AVR and was encouraged to check back in a week or two for a progress update.

I asked about the number of units they had been working on due to the press release. I was told they are getting about 12 units shipped to their facility daily!

Holy smokes AVTrauma; they're getting in 12 units per day? That's crazy! Hopefully they have yours done soon.
post #822 of 1701 Old 08-16-2011, 12:13 PM

I have a call into Crutchfield with the person who I originally ordered from. I will start with him. There is a service center in Haverhill Mass which is about an hour from me so I can take it down there if I have to. I would rather get the 809 personally.
post #823 of 1701 Old 08-16-2011, 01:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

I'm so confused. I've spoken with both Onkyo and United Radio today several times today regarding the backorder date of 11/15 of my replacement micro board. United Radio is going to try to get my part sooner than 11/15, but if a reasonable time passes and it's not there yet, Onkyo will start the exchange process. The cut-off point for a "reasonable time" wasn't defined, so I guess I'm still waiting until 11/15 regardless. I'm starting to accept that people will be talking about their new 5509s before I have my old 5508 back.

Would I ever buy another Onkyo again? Absolutely-- they still make great electronics. Everyone has a setback every now and then.

post #824 of 1701 Old 08-17-2011, 05:47 AM

Quote:

Sounds like someone has been dinking around in the Network settings and has turned on the option to allow remote control over the network. In this state it never quite powers down. I had this enabled for a while to allow use of Onkytroller on my Android phone to turn it off/on when my remote stopped working. I think it's called "Enable Network Control" under the "network" configuration settings.

You were correct Teseract. Disabling the Network Control setting fixed my issue. That setting has been enabled for the last 8 months and I've never had a standby power issue before with my 708 so I'm not sure what has changed. I'm just glad to report it's working properly now.

Thanks again.
post #825 of 1701 Old 08-17-2011, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My time timeline goes:
2. mid-June-- Started failing with all the problems listed in this thread.

Nathan,

I live here in the Atlanta Metro area also and I used Norman Electronics in Duluth (6 miles from my office) for my repair and I will box up my unit and send it across country before I use Norman's again. I dropped off my like new 5008 and received it back with finger prints all over the display, a scratch on top of the unit and a scratch on the bottom of the door on the front of the unit. I know for fact that the unit was in flawless condition when I dropped it off. I wish I would have documented the condition of the unit at the time I dropped it off, but I didn't. They showed little care for my unit.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #826 of 1701 Old 08-17-2011, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nathan,

I live here in the Atlanta Metro area also and I used Norman Electronics in Duluth (6 miles from my office) for my repair and I will box up my unit and send it across country before I use Norman's again. I dropped off my like new 5008 and received it back with finger prints all over the display, a scratch on top of the unit and a scratch on the bottom of the door on the front of the unit. I know for fact that the unit was in flawless condition when I dropped it off. I wish I would have documented the condition of the unit at the time I dropped it off, but I didn't. They showed little care for my unit.

Hello,
Sadly, this is a story I have heard countless times. In the future, you might want to contact Plaza Electronics in Largo, FL. The Technician is amazing and could not be kinder. They do often have a few week wait. Jersey Jim Tower's in Clearwater quote a 4-6 Day Turnaround. And that was for an HDMI Board Replacement. As the Parts for the Repair on the x08's is so inexpensive, they can actually have the Cable in their Inventory whereas with HDMI Boards, they have to jump through hoops before Onkyo approves a replacement HDMI Board.
Cheers,
AD

post #827 of 1701 Old 08-17-2011, 08:59 AM

I too am having troubles. Put in an old HTIB Onkyo in the meantime, but I'd like my $800 receiver to work please!

1. Model - NR-708
2. Purchase Date or approximate date - 12/14/10
3. Place where purchased - Newegg
4. First symptom to appear - Randon remote issue, switching inputs
5. How long after purchase until first symptom appeared? - I only used it a few times, but in the first 2 months for sure
6. Was the symptom consistent or intermittent? - Intermittant at first, now does not operate remote of front panel buttons.
7. Which symptom(s) (listed above) are you experiencing? - All of the listed symptoms.
8. If you have contacted Onkyo, and sent in your unit for repair, what where you told the problem is/was? - Have not yet
9. If your unit was repaired did the problem come back, if so how long did it take to reappear? - Ditto
[/quote]
post #828 of 1701 Old 08-17-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWPascoe View Post

Not at all. I've been buying from Bill Crutchfield for more than 30 years now, and they'll take of him.

I'd suggest he just ask for a swap to the newer model year and bypass all the folderol. I'll lay odds Crutchfield will ship him a new unit before they even get back the old one.

Well I hoped you would be right but no Because mine was a so-called scratch and dent Crutch won't let me pay the difference and get a newer one. So I am driving to Haverhill mass today and drop it off. Onkyo will pay for shipping but I would rather just take it in myself. Only and hour away. I don't regret my purchase because it came to me in perfect condition. No scratches or dents and I got it for 594 bucks.
post #829 of 1701 Old 08-17-2011, 10:54 AM

My back up in case my DHC 80.2 ever does this is a TX NR1007(yeah I'll be without 3D for however long), but that is better than being without.

Also, since I am in Chicago, I have numerous shops in the area(and I've already checked with Onkyo) that will do the repair for $50. Onkyo, if you ask first, will more than likely allow you to do an "outside repair".

Several local shops here in Chicago have quoted me 3-4 hour turn around, and $50. (albeit quite a few shops have a minimum charge of $80, but if they are "willing" to accept this problem and not "diagnose it"...they'll do the repair for less than "bench")
post #830 of 1701 Old 08-17-2011, 12:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Nathan,

This was my second dealing with Normans in 10 years, and I definitely cringed when both my dealer and Onkyo told me to drop it off at Normans for an inspection. This was before the press release and before they were telling people to ship off to the regional center. If I had just waited a few more days to contact Onkyo about the problem, I wouldn't be in the situation I'm in now. Moreover, I fully expect to receive a damaged unit back in the end of this whole process-- and I know it will be damage sustained at Normans, rather than at United.

I don't understand why all these manufacturers keep using them as an authorized service center. I've only heard of one positive experience with them from the Atlanta A/V enthusiast community in the decade I've been in Atlanta.

post #831 of 1701 Old 08-17-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:

This was my second dealing with Normans in 10 years, and I definitely cringed when both my dealer and Onkyo told me to drop it off at Normans for an inspection. This was before the press release and before they were telling people to ship off to the regional center. If I had just waited a few more days to contact Onkyo about the problem, I wouldn't be in the situation I'm in now. Moreover, I fully expect to receive a damaged unit back in the end of this whole process-- and I know it will be damage sustained at Normans, rather than at United.

I don't understand why all these manufacturers keep using them as an authorized service center. I've only heard of one positive experience with them from the Atlanta A/V enthusiast community in the decade I've been in Atlanta.

Nathan,

I live in Atlanta as well and hope that I never have to use Norman's in the future. My TX-NR708 hasn't failed yet but if it does, sounds like I better spend an extra but to ship it to some other repair facility.

Sorry to hear they've got you in such a pickle.

Thanks.
post #832 of 1701 Old 08-18-2011, 07:33 PM

Liked: 11
Well just got my NR808 back from Adams Electronics, in Huntington Beach Ca. My receiver was randomly cycling thru listening modes before I sent it off. It looks like they changed a cable. So far so good, been running it the last couple of hours, no issues. The unit left my possession, and arrived back to me in flawless condition (no scratches dents, etc.). Also turn around time from FedEx pick up to arriving at my door was 9 days! So far very happy to have it back...
post #833 of 1701 Old 08-19-2011, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork View Post
Hello,
Sadly, this is a story I have heard countless times. In the future, you might want to contact Plaza Electronics in Largo, FL. The Technician is amazing and could not be kinder. They do often have a few week wait. Jersey Jim Tower's in Clearwater quote a 4-6 Day Turnaround. And that was for an HDMI Board Replacement. As the Parts for the Repair on the x08's is so inexpensive, they can actually have the Cable in their Inventory whereas with HDMI Boards, they have to jump through hoops before Onkyo approves a replacement HDMI Board.
Cheers,
AD
AD,

Thanks for this information. I'll keep it around for future reference, but hopefully I won't need it.

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #834 of 1701 Old 08-19-2011, 10:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Learned today that my unit is being exchanged by Onkyo. While I'd prefer a new unit (as I paid for a new unit), I guess I'd be fine with a refurbished one as long as it has the IDE fix in place already.

post #835 of 1701 Old 08-19-2011, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What, no pictures of the conformal coating?!

---------------------------------------
post #836 of 1701 Old 08-19-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post
What, no pictures of the conformal coating?!
It's not really visible in pictures. You'll feel it when you put your hands on it. You might see a slight haze in this picture:

http://www.moparhowto.com/ht-howtos/...708/step09.jpg

You can see it running off here:

http://www.moparhowto.com/ht-howtos/.../comformal.jpg

It's pretty transparent but has the consistency of an adhesive.
post #837 of 1701 Old 08-20-2011, 05:53 AM

I'm starting to lose patience with ABL electronics. When I sent my 3008 in for the second time, I again attached a sheet of paper that explicitly detailed what was still going on with the receiver (flashing CBL/SAT on-screen constantly, inability to use any other input besides CBL/SAT).

I've called ABL twice this week and talked to their service manager, Al. He keeps saying they can't replicate "the problem", which he thinks is the cycling through listening modes.

That has never been my problem. I never said that was my problem. I was very straightforward with an attached note describing the problem.

The unit becomes unresponsive to the remote and front panel, turns itself on, the volume will max out then go to zero (scary huh?), and constantly defaults to one input (CBL/SAT) with the on-screen display letting me know in no uncertain terms that, yes, you are still watching CBL/ SAT.

It's been out nearly three weeks this time. Every time I've called, Al tells me, "we can't replicate the problem". I then describe the problem, again. He quickly tells me that "he'll get a tech to look into it" and ends the conversation.

I've made lots (lots) of rather expensive electronic and appliance purchases in my life. This has now topped the list of things I regret buying and I bought in to HD-DVD with enthusiasm

Thanks for letting me vent.
post #838 of 1701 Old 08-20-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmccorkle View Post
I'm starting to lose patience with ABL electronics. When I sent my 3008 in for the second time, I again attached a sheet of paper that explicitly detailed what was still going on with the receiver (flashing CBL/SAT on-screen constantly, inability to use any other input besides CBL/SAT).

I've called ABL twice this week and talked to their service manager, Al. He keeps saying they can't replicate "the problem", which he thinks is the cycling through listening modes.

Considering how much you paid for the 3008, there really isn't an excuse is there? Not that it would accomplish much other than maybe feeling a little better is to file a complaint with the BBB in their local area, and make a complaint to Onkyo.
post #839 of 1701 Old 08-20-2011, 07:17 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
Expect this as the start of your WORST nightmare...
Geez, if this is all it took to become your worst nightmare...there are many bigger fish to fry out there. In the grand scheme of things, shouldn't this be rather minor.

I can't imagine someone going out and hanging themselves because their Onkyo quit working.
post #840 of 1701 Old 08-20-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmccorkle View Post

That has never been my problem. I never said that was my problem. I was very straightforward with an attached note describing the problem.

The unit becomes unresponsive to the remote and front panel, turns itself on, the volume will max out then go to zero (scary huh?), and constantly defaults to one input (CBL/SAT) with the on-screen display letting me know in no uncertain terms that, yes, you are still watching CBL/ SAT.

It's been out nearly three weeks this time. Every time I've called, Al tells me, "we can't replicate the problem". I then describe the problem, again. He quickly tells me that "he'll get a tech to look into it" and ends the conversation.

I've made lots (lots) of rather expensive electronic and appliance purchases in my life. This has now topped the list of things I regret buying and I bought in to HD-DVD with enthusiasm

The problem you describe is also a symptom others in this forum have experienced, including myself. Usually the problem progresses to the random cycling issue thereafter. My first symptom was this exact one, with the OSD constantly flashing cbl/sat as though the unit's cbl/sat input was intermittently being pressed. In other words, this symptom is part of the random cycling problem...though Onkyo has apparently omitted it from the press release.

Your problem seems to compare to mine in that the 'fix' you have initially received may not be the current 'fix'. You need to be sure the units original ribbon cable has been replaced with an IDE cable and not simply another ribbon cable as mine initially was. This is a higher quality cable and supposedly fixes the problem according to the Onkyo service tech I took my unit to. It is still unclear to me as to whether the conformal coating is a cause of the problem either in and of itself, together with the ribbon cable, or not at all.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Nr717 , Onkyo Tx Nr906 , Onkyo Brand , Onkyo Tx Nr414 , Onkyo Tx Nr515 , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Onkyo Tx Nr807 , Onkyo Ht Rc270 , Onkyo Tx Nr708 , Onkyo Tx Nr808 , Onkyo Tx Nr1008
Gear in this thread - Nr807 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page