The "OFFICIAL" Onkyo RC270, NR708,NR808, NR1008, NR5008, Integra 80.2 Failure Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 1697 Old 09-27-2011, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbear View Post

Where and how long did they have it?

See post 949 & 964. In on Monday and out on Friday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1697 Old 09-27-2011, 12:20 PM

Liked: 12
1. Model: TX-NR708
2. Purchase Date: March 2011
3. Place where purchased: Amazon.com
4. First symptom to appear: Unresponsive to remote, front panel, and Power buttons
5. How long after purchase until first symptom appeared? - 6 months
6. Was the symptom consistent or intermittent? - Intermittent so far.
7. Which symptom(s) (listed above) are you experiencing? - All except cycling modes
8. If you have contacted Onkyo, and sent in your unit for repair, what where you told the problem is/was? - They are providing a shipping label for repairs
9. If your unit was repaired did the problem come back, if so how long did it take to reappear?
post #993 of 1697 Old 09-27-2011, 10:04 PM

Liked: 15
For all those with problem units, please remember to add your experience to the onkyo tracking thread.

So far my 708 has been working fine since coming home from it's "vacation" to SoCal, and Adams Electronics. Good news for sure, but I still won't feel confident the fix is in until next year at this time, since it looks like an average of 4-6 months of use before most failed
post #994 of 1697 Old 09-28-2011, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseract View Post

I went out and did a NET upgrade check and sure enough, there's a new firmware out there for my NR708.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

thanks for the heads up on the new firmware update. I updated my rc270 receiver.

Where are y'all finding these? On the download page (http://www.us.onkyo.com/download/software.cfm), I'm seeing a date of 11/10/10 for the update of both of these models. I do see a 9/14/11 update, but it's for the NR709 and RC370.
post #995 of 1697 Old 09-28-2011, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleLC View Post

Where are y'all finding these? On the download page (http://www.us.onkyo.com/download/software.cfm), I'm seeing a date of 11/10/10 for the update of both of these models. I do see a 9/14/11 update, but it's for the NR709 and RC370.

I found it out when my Android phone prompted me to upgrade the Onkyo Remote Control app, it said I had to update the receiver for it to work. Since my 708 is hooked up to ethernet, I just went out and told it to check for updates and it pulled it down for me.

No idea why it's not on the website, probably their web guy is being lazy. I'd like to see a Changelog to see if anything else was fixed.
post #996 of 1697 Old 09-28-2011, 06:38 AM

I called the 800 number yesterday just to ask if my 5008 was part of the affected. Now so far I've had no problems with it (still knocking on wood)and I purchased it from newegg in November 2010, so I've had it 10+ months now. But I figured I would do as many recommended and call to ask based on my serial number if it is indeed part of the batch with problems. To my, and now probably everyone else's dismay, the woman I spoke with said that there are no good "batches" of the 5008 series. According to her every one of the 5008's were made with the same exact parts the same way. So she said it's more or less a crapshoot if mine will last without any problems or not. Now I probably jinxed myself by posting this but I figured others should hear what I was told.
post #997 of 1697 Old 09-28-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy542 View Post

I called the 800 number yesterday just to ask if my 5008 was part of the affected. Now so far I've had no problems with it (still knocking on wood)and I purchased it from newegg in November 2010, so I've had it 10+ months now. But I figured I would do as many recommended and call to ask based on my serial number if it is indeed part of the batch with problems. To my, and now probably everyone else's dismay, the woman I spoke with said that there are no good "batches" of the 5008 series. According to her every one of the 5008's were made with the same exact parts the same way. So she said it's more or less a crapshoot if mine will last without any problems or not. Now I probably jinxed myself by posting this but I figured others should hear what I was told.

That supports what many of us suspected of the whole XX08 line.

Front - Mythos ST
Center - Mythos 8 and 10
Front Height - Gems
Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gems
Sub - Supercube Ref

There can never be enough music
post #998 of 1697 Old 09-28-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy542 View Post

In other words, "We know these are all broken, we knew we screwed up, but instead of preemptively issuing a recall and setting up local service centers to handle the volume we'll just pretend it's a minor problem and make people ship them across country and wait an indeterminate amount of time to get their expensive equipment back."

If these things were cars they'd be the original Ford Focus.
post #999 of 1697 Old 09-28-2011, 01:46 PM

1. Model NR808
2. Purchase Date or approximate date: March 10, 2011
3. Place where purchased: 6th Ave Electronics
4. First symptom to appear: Failure to respond to factory or universal remote
5. How long after purchase until first symptom appeared? 5 months
6. Was the symptom consistent or intermittent? Intermittent at first, now consistent
7. Which symptom(s) (listed above) are you experiencing? Unit fails to respond to power on/off requests via remote. Occasionally fails to recognize other commands such as input selection.
8. If you have contacted Onkyo, and sent in your unit for repair, what where you told the problem is/was? I have not yet contacted them but I will since it appears 6th Ave is going out of business (and I purchased the extended warranty protection from them...a total loss!)
9. If your unit was repaired did the problem come back, if so how long did it take to reappear? Not sent for repair yet.

This is my third Onkyo receiver and the first to ever give me a problem. I had my first for 12 years 1986-1998. Upgraded to a new one in 1998 for 5.1 home theater and it still works great. Bought the NR808 for network connectivity and a new, second home theater set up. I am shocked at the failure and sincerely hope that Onkyo has found the right fix or offers to exchange my unit for an 809.

We'll see.
post #1000 of 1697 Old 09-28-2011, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The vast majority of 3rd Party Warranties are not through the actual Store you purchased it from. Even when Circuit City went OOB, the Extended Warranty was still valid so you might actually still have coverage.

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #1001 of 1697 Old 09-28-2011, 09:45 PM

Update: To my surprise, my TX-NR1008 was on my front porch when I came home from work this evening. I was shocked, as I called the Adam's Electronics in Huntington Beach, CA on Sunday and the person I spoke to indicated the turn around time would be about three weeks. In fact, he told me to call in a week or two to check on the repair. I dropped the unit off with Fed Ex on 9/17 (Saturday), it shipped on 9/19 and arrived at the repair store on 9/21. Total time I was without my receiver was 12 days, and that was with it sitting in a Fed Ex store over the first two days because of the weekend. I do wish they had called or emailed to let me know the unit was shipping. Not so thrilled about my $1000 receiver sitting on my porch for the afternoon...

The repair was recorded as a 15" socket/cable and 2 P7501 A,B Connectors. I hooked everything up and listened/watched TV for about 30 minutes. So far everything seems to be working correctly. Interestingly, I feel like the bass response is louder/stronger than it was before. I checked it out a bit, and it seems to be the subwoofer playing louder on the same setting it was on before the repair. IDK, maybe I'm just imagining it. Anyway, I am happy to have it back and I hope this is the last problem I will have with it. I will update if any problems come up as I play with I some more.
post #1002 of 1697 Old 09-29-2011, 05:50 AM

Good to know. Thanks for saying so. Since the unit is only 7 months old, all repairs should fall under the Onkyo 2 yr. warranty. Let's hope whatever solution is offered is quick and correct.
post #1003 of 1697 Old 09-29-2011, 08:18 AM

RC-270, Purchased 12/2010

Remote only responds intermittently. I've contacted Onkyo once so far, we reset the remote and oddly enough it started working. Then it stopped again.

I'm curious about people who have had their units "repaired". What percentage of you have had more problems and how many of you haven't had any since the problem was "fixed".
post #1004 of 1697 Old 09-29-2011, 10:39 AM

I'd be curious to know the same thing. After reading these posts, I have little faith that my repair will fix this problem permanently.
post #1005 of 1697 Old 09-29-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaplan303 View Post

1. Model NR808
2. Purchase Date or approximate date: March 10, 2011
3. Place where purchased: 6th Ave Electronics
4. First symptom to appear: Failure to respond to factory or universal remote
5. How long after purchase until first symptom appeared? 5 months
6. Was the symptom consistent or intermittent? Intermittent at first, now consistent
7. Which symptom(s) (listed above) are you experiencing? Unit fails to respond to power on/off requests via remote. Occasionally fails to recognize other commands such as input selection.
8. If you have contacted Onkyo, and sent in your unit for repair, what where you told the problem is/was? I have not yet contacted them but I will since it appears 6th Ave is going out of business (and I purchased the extended warranty protection from them...a total loss!)
9. If your unit was repaired did the problem come back, if so how long did it take to reappear? Not sent for repair yet.

This is my third Onkyo receiver and the first to ever give me a problem. I had my first for 12 years 1986-1998. Upgraded to a new one in 1998 for 5.1 home theater and it still works great. Bought the NR808 for network connectivity and a new, second home theater set up. I am shocked at the failure and sincerely hope that Onkyo has found the right fix or offers to exchange my unit for an 809.

We'll see.

I finally got through to Onkyo by calling the line mentioned on their press release dated 6/21/11 entitled "Automatic Continuous Change of Listening Modes and/or Remote Controller Commands are not accepted". That number was 800-229-1687 option #3. See: http://www.onkyousa.com/press_releases.cfm?id=215

Once I described my issue, no questions were asked other than my e-mail address and purchase info so that a shipping label could be emailed to me for me to use when shipping my unit back for repair.

My confidence level in the success and timeliness of this repair is NOT high right now. I'll keep you posted...
post #1006 of 1697 Old 09-29-2011, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin2375 View Post

RC-270, Purchased 12/2010

Remote only respond intermittently. I contact Onkyo once so far, we reset the remote and oddly enough it started working. Then it stopped again.

I'm curious about people who have had their units "repaired". What percentage of you have had more problems and how many of you haven't had any since the problem was fixed.

I have had my rc270 receiver since Jan 2011. I have not had any problems as of yet.

Jacob
post #1007 of 1697 Old 09-29-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:

I have had my rc270 receiver since Jan 2011. I have not had any problems as of yet.

Jacob

What sequence number is it? In other words, when was it built?
post #1008 of 1697 Old 09-29-2011, 12:58 PM

Here is what I commented in an Amazon review of the 1008...

I purchased this receiver in February, 2011 as an upgrade to my older Onkyo. I was very impressed with the sound and operational abilities of this receiver: it exceeded all my expectations.... until April when it developed problems. The input selections began to automatically cycle and nothing would stop the cycling. None of the remote or main controls would have any effect and the unit had to be unplugged.

The Onkyo warranty was honored at my local repair shop, but it took almost 3 weeks for them to fix it. I didn't think this was a big problem since any random production unit could be expected to have a bad internal connection once in a while. It wasn't until the same failure occurred a few months later that I discovered this same failure was now being reported for MANY Onkyo units in this production year such as the 608, 708, 808, 1008, 3008, and others.

This time Onkyo would not authorize the local repair shops to fix the problem - they had to be shipped to their manufacturing facility in New York. Onkyo was nice enough to send a new shipping box and a prepaid shipping label, but word on the internet blogs indicated it may be months before enough replacement parts for these units would be available... and few people were confident any repair would be a permanent one. Unfortunately, Onkyo would not replace or refund, only take it away to be repaired.

Fortunately, Amazon offered to do a refund so I returned it to them instead of Onkyo. Unfortunately, Amazon did not mention in their email that their refund would only be partial - their refund was $150 less than I paid.

I then had to select a replacement receiver. Onkyo had now released their new lineup of xx09 models, but they had not been out long enough to determine whether the dependability issues were resolved. I heard that the competing Denon and Sony receivers also had issues. I wound up buying a Pioneer Elite receiver for a very good price. The Pioneer didn't have quite as many features as the Onkyo, but was more powerful and had better sound. Best of all, there appeared to be ZERO problems reported with that brand.

I may eventually return to the Onkyo brand since they seem to offer the most for the money, but only after they can re-establish their dependability.
post #1009 of 1697 Old 09-29-2011, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What sequence number is it? In other words, when was it built?

the serial number?

Jacob
post #1010 of 1697 Old 09-29-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:

the serial number?

Jacob

Just the last 5 numbers to find out what batch they were from.
post #1011 of 1697 Old 09-30-2011, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaplan303 View Post

Good to know. Thanks for saying so. Since the unit is only 7 months old, all repairs should fall under the Onkyo 2 yr. warranty.

As previously mentioned in this thread, Onkyo stated in their press release that they will fix this issue without charge even if your unit is out of warranty (for US and Canada).
post #1012 of 1697 Old 09-30-2011, 08:58 AM

If memory serves me, (34 pages, over 1000 posts ) there have been some that have experienced a failure after "repaired", but I believe most of those were performed prior to the Onkyo/Integra press release.
There's one or two posters who did experience a failure not related to the "original" problem (that has all of us sending our AVR's off to various parts of the country to the "regional" centers).
Don't recollect anyone doing the "home remedy" themselves having further issues.
But remember, most of these issues occurred after 4-6 months of use, so we really won't know for sure till enough time and usage has occurred post repair. It will probably be atleast 6 months to make most of us comfortable that the fix is for real.
Fool us once, shame on you....
fool us twice, and Onkyo will see a mass exodus, and word of mouth by those affected by this will undoubtedly cause others to steer clear of this company, regardless of features and price points.
God I hope they got it right! I don't mind upgrading, but not when forced to (by a sub par product and QC, involving several hundred dollars of hard earned money!)

Don't forget to put your info down in the Onkyo tracking thread - Thanks to all who have!
post #1013 of 1697 Old 10-01-2011, 10:41 PM
pbo

1. Model: DTR-70.2
2. Purchase Date: November 2010
3. Place where purchased: Audio Advice
4. First symptom to appear: Unresponsive to remote, front panel, and Power buttons
5. How long after purchase until first symptom appeared? - 4 months
6. Was the symptom consistent or intermittent? - Consistent
7. Which symptom(s) (listed above) are you experiencing? - All
8. If you have contacted Onkyo, and sent in your unit for repair, what where you told the problem is/was? - They replaced my unit in April and the replacement has just failed again.
9. If your unit was repaired did the problem come back, if so how long did it take to reappear? 5 months

Paul O'Neal
International Networking, Inc
post #1014 of 1697 Old 10-02-2011, 07:45 AM

First let me apologize for being off topic. Unfortunately, the official 1008 thread doesn't appear to be getting a lot of traffic and, regrettably, this thread is quite active! Also, the manual does not do a good job of addressing this issue.

I have a 1008, with the latest firmware, and recently had to swap rooms with a Denon 4310 (I needed the HDMI 1.4a for 3D purposes). At the new location, the 1008 also needs to pass-through, in standby mode, the cable signal for TV watching. The Denon appears (?) to implement standby pass-through much more efficiently. The way I am set up now, the standby pass-through works fine except that it disengages a few seconds after the TV is turned "off" (the power-down click is audible). My dilemma: To watch the TV without the 1008, I have to (1) power-on the TV, (2) power-on the 1008, (3) make sure Cbl/Sat input is selected, and (4) power-off the receiver (four steps are not user friendly for children or others not familiar with this setup). The Denon's standby pass-through does not turn off with the TV (I do realize that the Denon does consume more power in standby).

The following are my "setup" settings under Menu/Hardware setup/HDMI:

Audio TV Out: Off
Lip Snyc: Enable
HDMI Control (RHID): On
Audio Return Channel: Auto
Power Control: On
TV Control: Off (Note: if this is set to "On," the standby pass through works for an instant and then disengages with a click)

My questions:
1. Is there something wrong with my settings or is this the way HDMI standby pass-through is implemented on the 1008?

2. If not, is there away to keep the 1008's standby pass-through "on" when the TV is turned "off?"

I appreciate any responses!

Bob
post #1015 of 1697 Old 10-02-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbob View Post

First let me apologize for being off topic. Unfortunately, the official 1008 thread doesn't appear to be getting a lot of traffic and, regrettably, this thread is quite active! Also, the manual does not do a good job of addressing this issue.

I have a 1008, with the latest firmware, and recently had to swap rooms with a Denon 4310 (I needed the HDMI 1.4a for 3D purposes). At the new location, the 1008 also needs to pass-through, in standby mode, the cable signal for TV watching. The Denon appears (?) to implement standby pass-through much more efficiently. The way I am set up now, the standby pass-through works fine except that it disengages a few seconds after the TV is turned "off" (the power-down click is audible). My dilemma: To watch the TV without the 1008, I have to (1) power-on the TV, (2) power-on the 1008, (3) make sure Cbl/Sat input is selected, and (4) power-off the receiver (four steps are not user friendly for children or others not familiar with this setup). The Denon's standby pass-through does not turn off with the TV (I do realize that the Denon does consume more power in standby).

TV Control: Off (Note: if this is set to "On," the standby pass through works for an instant and then disengages with a click)

My questions:
1. Is there something wrong with my settings or is this the way HDMI standby pass-through is implemented on the 1008?

2. If not, is there away to keep the 1008's standby pass-through "on" when the TV is turned "off?"

Bob

Try turning the HDMI Control to "OFF." What is happening is your TV has control of the HDMI signal when the HDMI Control is set to "ON" in the Onkyo menu. The 1008 HDMI is a two way comminication line when set to "ON."

Front - Mythos ST
Center - Mythos 8 and 10
Front Height - Gems
Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gems
Sub - Supercube Ref

There can never be enough music
post #1016 of 1697 Old 10-02-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbob View Post

My questions:

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmaster View Post

Try turning the HDMI Control to "OFF." What is happening is your TV has control of the HDMI signal when the HDMI Control is set to "ON" in the Onkyo menu. The 1008 HDMI is a two way comminication line when set to "ON."

Thank you for the reply! I tried changing the "HDMI Control (RHID)" to "Off," but there was no standby pass-through at all. When set to "Off," the Audio Return channel, Power Control, and TV Control dimmed in the menu. Afterwards, I changed the "HDMI Control (RHID)" back to "on" and the "standby pass-through" worked as before.
post #1017 of 1697 Old 10-02-2011, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just the last 5 numbers to find out what batch they were from.

the last 5 serial number 20355

Jacob
post #1018 of 1697 Old 10-02-2011, 11:22 PM

Quote:

the last 5 serial number 20355

Jacob

Mine is 20675. That would mean that mine was produced 325 units after yours.

Now the question stands is anyone with a RC270, when the unit failed, what sequence # did it start at and stop at?
post #1019 of 1697 Old 10-02-2011, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mine is 20675. That would mean that mine was produced 325 units after yours.

Now the question stands is anyone with a RC270, when the unit failed, what sequence # did it start at and stop at?

a very good question.

Jacob
post #1020 of 1697 Old 10-03-2011, 12:16 PM

In case it hasn't been posted yet, here is the press release from the Onkyo web page:

Automatic Continuous Change of Listening Modes and/or Remote Controller Commands are not accepted

06/21/11 - Models: TX-NR708, TX-NR709, TX-NR808, TX-NR1008, TX-NR3008, TX-NR5008, PR-SC5508, HT-RC270, HT-RC370

If your receiver of the above mentioned models experiences the following : Listening modes automatically change one after another. When this problem occurs most commands will not be accepted.

Please contact our Product Support Department at (800) 229-1687, option 3, to confirm that this issue exists in your receiver. If the issue exists you will be given further direction on how to have it serviced.

***This issue will be handled for you even if you are out of warranty (this only applies to US and Canada).***

Here is the link: http://onkyousa.com/press_releases.cfm?id=215

My TX-NR708 has been in the shop for over 2 months now. It is waiting on a part. My original post was on the TX-NR708 thread.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Nr717 , Onkyo Tx Nr906 , Onkyo Brand , Onkyo Tx Nr414 , Onkyo Tx Nr515 , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Onkyo Tx Nr807 , Onkyo Ht Rc270 , Onkyo Tx Nr708 , Onkyo Tx Nr808 , Onkyo Tx Nr1008
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page