The "OFFICIAL" Onkyo RC270, NR708,NR808, NR1008, NR5008, Integra 80.2 Failure Thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1081 of 1698 Old 11-03-2011, 07:56 AM
Senior Member
 
carageuw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Miami
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by carageuw View Post

I just retrieved my 1008 from summer storage where it has been kept for 6 months, and out of the box, the damn CBL/SAT bug is back again. It is stuck on CBL/SAT and does not respond to the remote control or front panel buttons, the only thing I can do is the moment is unplug the power and hopefully tomorrow morning it will heal itself.

Does anyone know how long it will take Onkyo to repair such a unit (or send me a replacement, a defect like this should warrant a recall), or can anyone confirm or say other wise whether the 2011 models such as 1009 0r 3009 has this problem?

The 1008 is an otherwise great machine if not for this stupid manufacturing/design flaw.

I bought mine back in February, and I started noticing the CBL/SAT bug probably three weeks into use. Usually it can be solved by taking out the power plug for prolonged hours, so I usually unplug the power when I leave for work to make sure it works at night.

I just opened a support ticket to Onkyo, now waiting for Onkyo to send me a box then I shall ship it to United Radio. Sounds like I am going to be missing my receiver for at least a month.

Perhaps I should buy a new one and sell the repaired one when it comes back. Are the 2011 units like 809 and 1009 any good?
carageuw is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1082 of 1698 Old 11-04-2011, 11:36 AM
Newbie
 
philoforlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
1.Model
Onkyo HT-RC270

2. Purchase Date:
March 5th 2011

3. Place where purchased:
Amazon

4. First symptom to appear
Unit Froze, would not respond to remote or faceplate controls.

5. How long after purchase until first symptom appeared?
7 Months

6. Was the symptom consistent or intermittent?
Consistent. Unplugging did nothing.

7. Which symptom(s) (listed above) are you experiencing?
Unit does not respond to remote commands.
Unit does not respond to front panel input commands.
Unit does not respond to power button - must unplug to turn off.

8. If you have contacted Onkyo, and sent in your unit for repair, what where you told the problem is/was?
Issued RMA

Shipped to:

ALL TECH ELECTRONICS
1 Frassetto Way
Lincoln Park, NJ07035
(973) 633-8715
Date Shipped 10/17/2011


Onkyo sent me a box via mail and free shipping label.

Heard back from them yesterday. Said it was a bad cable and that it would take 12 - 15 more days to get back.


I wanted to take an opportunity to thank this community, had I not found this thread I would have assumed it was permanently broke and would have been out a receiver because my wife would not have let me spend 600 dollars unless I was informed I had cancer and was given 2 months to live. Thank you so much.

I will post back when I receive my receiver.

Joshua
philoforlife is offline  
post #1083 of 1698 Old 11-08-2011, 03:50 PM
Member
 
intoflatlines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For those of you (like me) that worry about shutting off by unplugging:

You can turn it off when it is cycling through listening modes by rotating the volume knob on the unit back and forth (so that you can see the volume start to change on the TV or front display) and pressing the power button.
intoflatlines is offline  
post #1084 of 1698 Old 11-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Senior Member
 
carageuw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Miami
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by intoflatlines View Post

For those of you (like me) that worry about shutting off by unplugging:

You can turn it off when it is cycling through listening modes by rotating the volume knob on the unit back and forth (so that you can see the volume start to change on the TV or front display) and pressing the power button.

Mine has gotten to the point that rotating the volume knob (or pressing the power button) doesn't do anything at all. The symptoms can worsen.
carageuw is offline  
post #1085 of 1698 Old 11-08-2011, 05:05 PM
Member
 
js19707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Update to my earlier post

Quote:
Originally Posted by js19707 View Post

1. Model: PR-SC5508
2. Purchase date: Sep 6, 2011. Installed Sep 15, 2011. Light using since then, ~20 hours total.
3. Authorized dealer: Abt Electronics
4. First symptom: Input changed to CBL/SAT from BD/DVD on its own. Neither front panel buttons nor the remote respond to any command. Need to unplug power cord to turn it off. Even after leaving the unit off for a few hours, it still does not respond to front panel buttons or remote. Unit still responds to network commands.
5. How long until unit malfunctioned: October 21, 2011
6. Sent to: didn't contact Onkyo service repair yet, just started.

I contacted ABT, who were really great in their handling of this issue. They arranged for UPS pickup and are swapping with a new 5508. I had to wait for them to get a replacement in stock and to receive my unit, and I'm currently waiting for the replacement unit to arrive.
Quote:


7. Status: will contact Onkyo on Monday. Pissed off because they obviously were wrong when they said my unit was built late enough to have been built without the problem. Unfortunately, i'm outside the 30d return window for this unit. I'm annoyed at having to send my still-new unit away for a few weeks to be man-handled at a service center that may or may not fix the problem

I believe there's a good chance that the new unit will exhibit the same issues (but I acknowledge that we don't know the actual incidence of issues, only Onkyo does.. and they're not saying). I'm not sure whether ABT will be willing to continue to exchange units if they continue to fail in this same manner; obviously the longer it takes for the unit to fail, the more likely I'll be having to deal with Onkyo and their repair centers. I guess I'm hoping that if it has the IDE cable problem it will fail quickly

For a new unit which has not yet been powered on, (to the extent that anybody here can venture an opinion) do you all think I can forestall the IDE cable issue by opening it up and swapping the IDE cable in advance? Should I also clean the contacts? I might even consider removing the conformal coating but I'd rather not have to do that too..
js19707 is offline  
post #1086 of 1698 Old 11-08-2011, 05:34 PM
Senior Member
 
carageuw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Miami
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by js19707 View Post


I believe there's a good chance that the new unit will exhibit the same issues (but I acknowledge that we don't know the actual incidence of issues, only Onkyo does.. and they're not saying). I'm not sure whether ABT will be willing to continue to exchange units if they continue to fail in this same manner; obviously the longer it takes for the unit to fail, the more likely I'll be having to deal with Onkyo and their repair centers. I guess I'm hoping that if it has the IDE cable problem it will fail quickly

I've talked to Onkyo's service center in New York. The rep says chances are the repaired unit will exhibit the same problems sooner or later, because Onkyo hasn't changed a thing in terms of design or procedure, they are just swapping out parts. So I am already looking for a new AVR to replace my 1008.
carageuw is offline  
post #1087 of 1698 Old 11-08-2011, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Audiodork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Siesta Key, Florida
Posts: 2,442
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by carageuw View Post

I've talked to Onkyo's service center in New York. The rep says chances are the repaired unit will exhibit the same problems sooner or later, because Onkyo hasn't changed a thing in terms of design or procedure, they are just swapping out parts. So I am already looking for a new AVR to replace my 1008.

Given the issue was a subpar Serial Cable and with Onkyo using new ones in it's place, I do not agree with this assessment. While there have certainly been many who have had to have this Repair, but the number who have needed to have it done again is quite few.

Heavens knows this entire fiasco has turned off many from ever purchasing another Onkyo again. I would recommend looking around at other Manufacturers Owners Threads as Onkyo is not the only Brand that has had issues. The Denon xx10 Network Card problem is something that is still occurring.

However, there seems to be more desire to concentrate almost solely on Onkyo. All I know is in the past 5 Years I have used Onkyo AVR's, I am 3 of 4 in terms of AVR's not needing Repair. My former 805 and 875 are both working perfectly being sold to close friends. My TX-NR3007 did have an HDMI Issue that was so bizarre that I ended up getting a TX-NR3008 for a Replacement and it has been wonderful.

Also, at least on the 3008/5008 Owners Thread here, the overwhelming majority are happy with their AVR. I realize many here consider these AVR's "ticking time bombs". And for those, I wish you good luck with your next purchase and no problems.
Cheers,
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
Audiodork is offline  
post #1088 of 1698 Old 11-09-2011, 01:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
gurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,755
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
If the flat (IDE) cable has been replaced and the gooey substance removed from the control board than the chance for the same problem coming up again should be miniscule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carageuw View Post

I've talked to Onkyo's service center in New York. The rep says chances are the repaired unit will exhibit the same problems sooner or later, because Onkyo hasn't changed a thing in terms of design or procedure, they are just swapping out parts. So I am already looking for a new AVR to replace my 1008.

gurkey is offline  
post #1089 of 1698 Old 11-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
hifi59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Well after following this thread for the last 2 months with fingers crossed, it finally happened to me. I have the 5008 and had false hopes that my unit was going to be ok after 2 months of daily use without issue. Then,bam! Just that quick while watching tv,the receiver cycled to cabl/sat . Tried to change inputs but no luck. Tried to turn off receiver.nogo. Had to unplug. Waited 5 min. Receiver then worked for 1 minute and it cycled back to cabl/sat. Tried again,same thing. I knew that was it. The kiss of death! I didn't even bother resetting.
I see that some say here that the failure rate is likely low,but when it happens to you its a 100% failure rate! I called onkyo in the past to see if they had a range of receiver serial numbers but on the 2 occasions I called,they stonewalled and just said if you have an issue we will fix it.
It was used daily for 2 months with a June 2010 build date. Off to Onkyo it goes. I just hope the fix in place is the correct one.

If you're talkin, you ain't learnin.
hifi59 is offline  
post #1090 of 1698 Old 11-09-2011, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bakerwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Peach State
Posts: 2,845
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork View Post

Given the issue was a subpar Serial Cable and with Onkyo using new ones in it's place, I do not agree with this assessment. While there have certainly been many who have had to have this Repair, but the number who have needed to have it done again is quite few.

You are doubting the word of an Onkyo service center employee. If you are one of the FEW (as you state) affected owners that has required a 2nd service visit for the same repair maybe you would feel differently. You keep trying to downplay the issue as MORE owners are reporting problems practically every week. You seem to be so forgiving for someone who has not experienced this problem. If you visit the tracking thread “x08 and x09 Onkyo Failure Tracking Thread” you will see that 58% of the respondents have reported this problem with the 2008 models.

Quote:


Heavens knows this entire fiasco has turned off many from ever purchasing another Onkyo again. I would recommend looking around at other Manufacturers Owners Threads as Onkyo is not the only Brand that has had issues. The Denon xx10 Network Card problem is something that is still occurring.

We all know that other manufacturers have problems from time to time, but what does that have to do with the current Onkyo problem. No relevance whatsoever. Throwing another manufacturer (Denon) under the bus doesn’t bring solace to those of us who have experienced this failure.

Quote:


However, there seems to be more desire to concentrate almost solely on Onkyo. All I know is in the past 5 Years I have used Onkyo AVR's, I am 3 of 4 in terms of AVR's not needing Repair. My former 805 and 875 are both working perfectly being sold to close friends. My TX-NR3007 did have an HDMI Issue that was so bizarre that I ended up getting a TX-NR3008 for a Replacement and it has been wonderful.

What other manufacturer should we be concentrated on? This is an Onkyo problem and an Onkyo thread? I am glad you’ve had a good experience with your previous Onkyo purchases. However, that doesn’t make me feel any better about being without my 5008 for 6 weeks with very light usage and I have no confidence that the problem won't reoccur.

Quote:


Also, at least on the 3008/5008 Owners Thread here, the overwhelming majority are happy with their AVR. I realize many here consider these AVR's "ticking time bombs". And for those, I wish you good luck with your next purchase and no problems.

These units are “ticking time bombs” as the problem is still occurring. Cuurent owners have NO idea if they will experience this problem today, tomorrow, a year from now or not at all.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

bakerwi is offline  
post #1091 of 1698 Old 11-09-2011, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bakerwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Peach State
Posts: 2,845
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkey View Post

If the flat (IDE) cable has been replaced and the gooey substance removed from the control board than the chance for the same problem coming up again should be miniscule.

I wouldn't want to be apart of the miniscule.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

bakerwi is offline  
post #1092 of 1698 Old 11-09-2011, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
alanl715's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: tejas
Posts: 932
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

I wouldn't want to be apart of the miniscule.

don't forget the IDE cable sockets that are soldered into the board(s) much be replaced as well !
alanl715 is offline  
post #1093 of 1698 Old 11-09-2011, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Audiodork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Siesta Key, Florida
Posts: 2,442
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

You are doubting the word of an Onkyo service center employee. If you are one of the FEW (as you state) affected owners that has required a 2nd service visit for the same repair maybe you would feel differently. You keep trying to downplay the issue as MORE owners are reporting problems practically every week. You seem to be so forgiving for someone who has not experienced this problem. If you visit the tracking thread “x08 and x09 Onkyo Failure Tracking Thread” you will see that 58% of the respondents have reported this problem with the 2008 models. And it is not the word of an Onkyo Repair Facility Employee. Rather, it is what someone might have been told. As Service Centers get paid peanuts for doing Warranty Work much like Car Dealers, they never like to do it.



We all know that other manufacturers have problems from time to time, but what does that have to do with the current Onkyo problem. No relevance whatsoever. Throwing another manufacturer (Denon) under the bus doesn’t bring solace to those of us who have experienced this failure.



What other manufacturer should we be concentrated on? This is an Onkyo problem and an Onkyo thread? I am glad you’ve had a good experience with your previous Onkyo purchases. However, that doesn’t make me feel any better about being without my 5008 for 6 weeks with very light usage and I have no confidence that the problem won't reoccur.



These units are “ticking time bombs” as the problem is still occurring. Cuurent owners have NO idea if they will experience this problem today, tomorrow, a year from now or not at all.

Nice touch on the blue sport. And my point about Denon is that there does not seem to be a never ending xx10 failed Networked Card Thread. Regardless, I have been quite clear that this is has been a fiasco and that many will never purchase another Onkyo again. I suppose my point is this Subforum gives the impression as if Onkyo is the only Brand where there are Repairs needed.

Also, if you waited 6 Weeks for the IDE Cable, you really must have sent it to an incredibly busy Repair Center. And all AVR's can be considered "ticking time bombs" in that they will eventually require Repair at some point. Also, many x08 Owners have not been affected. Also. your "Tracking Thread" is of an awfully small Sample Size.

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
Audiodork is offline  
post #1094 of 1698 Old 11-09-2011, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Audiodork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Siesta Key, Florida
Posts: 2,442
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Also, that was a Rep that this information was given. Not a Technician. And it is not an Onkyo Employee. Rather, an Independent Repair Center getting paid next to nothing compared to the Labor Rates they charge for out of warranty work. Moreover, it was second hand. And considering that there have been hardly any repeats of the IDE Failure, who wouldn't question the veracity? And given Onkyo is Covering this Repair for a long time, are you honestly that jaded that you think they would not change that damned IDE Cable that is the root of this problem.

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
Audiodork is offline  
post #1095 of 1698 Old 11-09-2011, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bakerwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Peach State
Posts: 2,845
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork View Post

Also. your "Tracking Thread" is of an awfully small Sample Size.

No smaller than "the overwhelming majority" of happy owners you refer to on the 3008/5008 Owners Thread.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

bakerwi is offline  
post #1096 of 1698 Old 11-09-2011, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Audiodork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Siesta Key, Florida
Posts: 2,442
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Well there are over 86,000 Views of this Thread and 36 Owners of x08's who replied of having a failure on your Thread.

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
Audiodork is offline  
post #1097 of 1698 Old 11-09-2011, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bakerwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Peach State
Posts: 2,845
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork View Post

...are you honestly that jaded that you think they would not change that damned IDE Cable that is the root of this problem.

AD,

Actually as an effected owner the repair was more than a damned IDE Cable. Also, I am not jaded, but call it as I see it.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

bakerwi is offline  
post #1098 of 1698 Old 11-09-2011, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bakerwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Peach State
Posts: 2,845
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork View Post

Well there are over 86,000 Views of this Thread and 36 Owners of x08's who replied of having a failure on your Thread.

Views don't indicate ownership. Also, I am done with this exchange. Enjoy your Onkyo

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

bakerwi is offline  
post #1099 of 1698 Old 11-09-2011, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Audiodork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Siesta Key, Florida
Posts: 2,442
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I will miss the blue text and emoticons. If you take the time to read the Owners Threads of the 3008/5008, you will see there is little discourse about the IDE Cable.

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
Audiodork is offline  
post #1100 of 1698 Old 11-09-2011, 07:01 PM
Senior Member
 
carageuw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Miami
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork View Post

Also, that was a Rep that this information was given. Not a Technician. And it is not an Onkyo Employee. Rather, an Independent Repair Center getting paid next to nothing compared to the Labor Rates they charge for out of warranty work. Moreover, it was second hand. And considering that there have been hardly any repeats of the IDE Failure, who wouldn't question the veracity? And given Onkyo is Covering this Repair for a long time, are you honestly that jaded that you think they would not change that damned IDE Cable that is the root of this problem.

I think you should be Onkyo's spokesperson, seriously.
carageuw is offline  
post #1101 of 1698 Old 11-09-2011, 07:32 PM
Senior Member
 
bayareakirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork View Post

Well there are over 86,000 Views of this Thread and 36 Owners of x08's who replied of having a failure on your Thread.

I may have "viewed" this thread 1,000 times myself - sure seems like it. I own both the Onkyo RC270 and NR5008 and neither has had a single issue - yet.
bayareakirk is offline  
post #1102 of 1698 Old 11-09-2011, 10:29 PM
Newbie
 
WolfmanNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just adding my experience with the issue. My NR-708 developed the rapidly changing sound modes about one month into its life (purchased Mid September, problem occurred about the 20th of October.
Took it into the shop (JB HiFi, kinda the NZ/Australian version of Best Buy) and my mate who is the assistant manager there got it sent off to the NZ distributor of Onkyo products. He'd seen the issue a few times before, and I knew I was taking my chances thanks to this thread and others before I made my purchase. Got the unit back today and thought I'd post up the 'repair notes'.

WORK DONE: Dismantled and inspected. Found residue on CPU pcb socket. Removed front panel and inspected - found residue on that socket as well. Replaced both sockets. Cleaned residue off cable ends and reassembled. Tested ok, basic function ok. Checked and adjusted idle currents - ok. Carried out AS/NZS 3760:2010 electrical safety tests - passed. Parts supplied by Avalon part # 25056643.

Have yet to plug everything back in but not anticipating any issues, however if it happens again I will be asking for a new unit.
WolfmanNZ is offline  
post #1103 of 1698 Old 11-09-2011, 11:51 PM
Member
 
Redmist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Having purchased an 808 as a "gray import", I decided to attempt to fix the problem myself. I cleaned the IDE connectors with DeOxit and a small wire brush designed for cleaning circuits. I also replaced the IDE cable with a known working ATA33 PC cable. With the new cable in place, I tested every single location of the IDE connectors on the circuit board using a multimeter continuity test. All pins tested OK.

With the unit reassembled, it appeared to be working perfectly...at least it did for a day or two and then it started failing to respond to remote commands once again and then a few hours later it switched to CBL/SAT and refused to respond to any input, remote or front panel. I switched the unit off over night - next day working fine, next day input cycling. You get the drift.

I once again tested the IDE pins on the circuit boards and everything was fine.

To be honest, I'm not convinced that the IDE cable/connectors are the problem. I've even been testing the Onkyo IDE cable with a HDD in an old PC and have had no problems at all.

Luckily, local distributers in my country have stopped ripping us off in recent months presumably due to pressure from gray imports so I've purchased a replacement receiver locally but I'd still like to get the 808 going some day since it's a pretty awesome receiver when it's working.

EDIT: ^^ Thanks for that post, WolfmanNZ. That's great info. Please keep us posted.
Redmist is offline  
post #1104 of 1698 Old 11-10-2011, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Audiodork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Siesta Key, Florida
Posts: 2,442
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by carageuw View Post

I think you should be Onkyo's spokesperson, seriously.

Quite happy with my current employment. Thanks though. What kills me about this and what started me off with this back and forth with Baker is that he quoted me on bits and pieces of entire Posts that makes things perhaps look different.

I have said more times than I can count that this is a fiasco for Onkyo. I have said that many will never purchase another Onkyo again, and much more. Hell, I disclosed the nightmare that was my TX-NR3007 in very clear detail on that Onwers Forum.
This comes down to remarks that after affected AVR's have been fixed that they are not actually being truly repaired. Something that makes absolutely no sense considering the bashing Onkyo has taken and the fact they are having to pay for the Repair for a long time.
Also, there have been hardly any folks who have needed further work after the IDE or Socket Repair.

I get it. People have their pitchforks out for Onkyo. I realize to say anything that might not be doom and gloom will be met with derision. Bring it on.
Oh, and have a swell day....

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
Audiodork is offline  
post #1105 of 1698 Old 11-10-2011, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
gurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,755
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The repair / fix has to be done thoroughly, than it shouldn't occur again.
This not to excuse Onkyo for happening because of poor QC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

I wouldn't want to be apart of the miniscule.

gurkey is offline  
post #1106 of 1698 Old 11-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Member
 
js19707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork View Post

Well there are over 86,000 Views of this Thread and 36 Owners of x08's who replied of having a failure on your Thread.

I don't disagree w/ your other statements, but I wanted to point out that your count of 36 owners having failures seems inaccurate?

The first post in this thread lists 35 owners, but hasn't been updated since June. On this page alone, I see carageuw, philoforlife, me (js19707), hifi59, wolfmanNZ, and redmist reporting failures. So.. that's at least 40, and I believe quite a few more in the other 35 pages of this thread that weren't counted.
js19707 is offline  
post #1107 of 1698 Old 11-10-2011, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Audiodork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Siesta Key, Florida
Posts: 2,442
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by js19707 View Post

I don't disagree w/ your other statements, but I wanted to point out that your count of 36 owners having failures seems inaccurate?

The first post in this thread lists 35 owners, but hasn't been updated since June. On this page alone, I see carageuw, philoforlife, me (js19707), hifi59, wolfmanNZ, and redmist reporting failures. So.. that's at least 40, and I believe quite a few more in the other 35 pages of this thread that weren't counted.

I should have been more clear. I was talking about Baker's Tracking Thread which is different from this one. I know sadly there are more than the numbers shown on the first page of this Thread.

Here is the Thread I was referring to:http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1347982 And that was only mentioned because it was brought up by him.

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
Audiodork is offline  
post #1108 of 1698 Old 11-10-2011, 03:47 PM
Member
 
js19707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Audiodork: ah, my mistake. thanks for clarifying.
js19707 is offline  
post #1109 of 1698 Old 11-10-2011, 04:34 PM
Senior Member
 
AVTrauma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vancouver, Wa
Posts: 387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Audiodork... I also must agree with js19707's statement.... the "Onkyo Failure Tracking" thread that you linked to in your latest replie is also very innaccurate! As a concerned 708 owner, I have religiously checked both this thread and the failure tracking thread consistently over the last several months. There are multiple people on this thread who have not added there numbers to the failure thread. (Only 1 post since August 21st? 1100+ posters here,with 86,600+ views vs 42 total posters and 3,462 views...(.and I have atleast 60+ of those views!) on the tracking thread)
I have also posted on this thread (a while ago) to remind the newcomers to this thread to include their numbers in that thread... and I again ask for those who haven't taken the time to participate in that poll to please do so!!! The only way we can get a true feel of the scope of the problem (something we will never get from Onkyo unfortunately) is if everyone contributes to the poll who have units affected by this problem. The number of posters on this thread who report problems is far greater than the total number of respondants (problems and no problems) that have responded in that thread.
It also needs to be mentioned (again )that most units that failed had that failure after 4-6 months of use. It is only now that we are approaching that time frame for units repaired by the prescribed fix.
I say it is too early to call it a fix, hence my agreement with "ticking time bomb", thou I am wishing it is truely rectified... again, only time will tell!
AVTrauma is offline  
post #1110 of 1698 Old 11-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Maddmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTrauma View Post

Audiodork... I also must agree with js19707's statement.... the "Onkyo Failure Tracking" thread that you linked to in your latest replie is also very innaccurate! As a concerned 708 owner, I have religiously checked both this thread and the failure tracking thread consistently over the last several months. There are multiple people on this thread who have not added there numbers to the failure thread. (Only 1 post since August 21st? 1100+ posters here,with 86,600+ views vs 42 total posters and 3,462 views...(.and I have atleast 60+ of those views!) on the tracking thread)
I have also posted on this thread (a while ago) to remind the newcomers to this thread to include their numbers in that thread... and I again ask for those who haven't taken the time to participate in that poll to please do so!!! The only way we can get a true feel of the scope of the problem (something we will never get from Onkyo unfortunately) is if everyone contributes to the poll who have units affected by this problem. The number of posters on this thread who report problems is far greater than the total number of respondants (problems and no problems) that have responded in that thread.
It also needs to be mentioned (again )that most units that failed had that failure after 4-6 months of use. It is only now that we are approaching that time frame for units repaired by the prescribed fix.
I say it is too early to call it a fix, hence my agreement with "ticking time bomb", thou I am wishing it is truely rectified... again, only time will tell!

What is the link for the Poll?

Front - Mythos ST
Center - Mythos 8 and 10
Front Height - Gems
Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gems
Sub - Supercube Ref

There can never be enough music
Maddmaster is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Nr717 , Onkyo Tx Nr906 , Onkyo Brand , Onkyo Tx Nr414 , Onkyo Tx Nr515 , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Onkyo Tx Nr807 , Onkyo Ht Rc270 , Onkyo Tx Nr708 , Onkyo Tx Nr808 , Onkyo Tx Nr1008
Gear in this thread - Nr807 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off