The "OFFICIAL" Onkyo RC270, NR708,NR808, NR1008, NR5008, Integra 80.2 Failure Thread - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 1701 Old 12-02-2011, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandM View Post

Not all 08's break down after 3-5 months. My 08 has been running strong for at least 10hrs a day for almost 17 months.

Yes I think that the problem came in units made in August -September 08 and later. Do not know when it was finally fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1701 Old 12-02-2011, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just got off the phone with United Radio (Onkyo Service in New York)
Sounds like my 1008 is on its way back to me via FedEx Ground, although the service rep says she doesn't have access to any detailed information at the moment on exactly what has been repaired or replaced, but she assures the problem should have been rectified.

I am crossing my fingers, hope I don't need to send it back again.

And no apparently it did not "evolve" itself into a 1009. Sigh...

I am actually playing with my thumbs over whether I should keep the RC-370 or the 1008 now.
post #1173 of 1701 Old 12-02-2011, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdog View Post

I just purchased a refurbished 708 directly from Onkyo. They had Black Friday sale and the price seemed too good to pass up.

I am hoping that since they figured out the issues a few months ago, my refurb will not have the problem.

Anyone else buy a refurb directly from Onkyo?

I recieved the refurbished 708 yesterday. Went to plug it in today and all it did was go "click.....click". Smacked it on the side a few times and suddenly it turned on! I guess for $250 (club Onkyo black Friday deal) I can't complain.
I think there is a board that was loose or sum dust causing a short. Any ideas? The clicking was near where the power cord attaches.
post #1174 of 1701 Old 12-02-2011, 07:35 PM

My 808 has been back for a few weeks now, works flawlessly (and all my settings are still there!). It's a helluva good receiver, so I truly hope the troubles are over. By the way, have Integra receivers had the same problem?
Jack
post #1175 of 1701 Old 12-03-2011, 04:12 AM

Liked: 15
MandM - some of us are envious!

carageuw - I'd stay with the 1008 personnally.

Everdog - No idea on what the hang up was, but you seem to have a great deal in common with the Russian Cosmonaut "Hero" in Armagedon But what a great score at that price point!

bearr48 - Yes some Integras were affected, but to a much lesser extent. They also were more apt to replace rather than repair initial units until they got a handle on what was causing the failures.
post #1176 of 1701 Old 12-03-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTrauma View Post

carageuw - I'd stay with the 1008 personnally.

Mind sharing why?
I think the only thing going for the 1008 is just raw power but I doubt I would ever need 9.2 nor appreciate the 35w power output difference. I would probably be fined long before I managed to put 100W per channel.

Otherwise the 370 features a more updated feature set mainly QDEO and MultEQ XT.
post #1177 of 1701 Old 12-03-2011, 11:15 AM

True the QDEO is better IMHO, but I think both have the MultEQ don't they? I'm partial to a more robust product like the 1008 (when finances don't cramp my decisions). You might want to check both threads here, and maybe some other professional reviews.
post #1178 of 1701 Old 12-03-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:

True the QDEO is better IMHO, but I think both have the MultEQ don't they? I'm partial to a more robust product like the 1008 (when finances don't cramp my decisions). You might want to check both threads here, and maybe some other professional reviews.

1008: MultEQ
370: MultEQ XT
post #1179 of 1701 Old 12-03-2011, 12:22 PM

Ok, I suspect i am not doing something correct. I have not used the AM/FM turner for months since my unit was repaired (2 times) for the no-response issue.

I cannot get the tuner to find any stations. I have the AM and FM antenna hooked up correctly. Even if i input the frequency I hear nothing. All other modes work (AUX to my android phone, internet radio, Game for PS3, cable TV).

I am at a loss...help?
post #1180 of 1701 Old 12-03-2011, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 29
post #1181 of 1701 Old 12-03-2011, 05:32 PM

I'm in a similar situation to the user from Brazil. I posted a message (pre-press release) that my amp was fixed here in Australia after a local shop 'tightened' up all the loose boards and connections. The amp was fine until I recently moved and now I'm having the same problems again. I was very careful with the amp during the move, carrying it myself, etc...

I want to call Onkyo and try and get them to pay for shipping from here. I know it's a long short - but it's worth a try. However, whenever I try calling any of the service numbers and press '3', I just get the main menu repeated to me. I'm calling around 7pm (within the stated business hours). Are their hours different to what's actually written on the website? Does anybody have another number or direct extension to call?

As a last resort I'll try the DIY procedure.

Does anybody know if this problem has been reported in the press? If not, I'm sure an article or two would help our cause....
post #1182 of 1701 Old 12-03-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso060 View Post

I'm in a similar situation to the user from Brazil. I posted a message (pre-press release) that my amp was fixed here in Australia after a local shop 'tightened' up all the loose boards and connections. The amp was fine until I recently moved and now I'm having the same problems again. I was very careful with the amp during the move, carrying it myself, etc...

I want to call Onkyo and try and get them to pay for shipping from here. I know it's a long short - but it's worth a try. However, whenever I try calling any of the service numbers and press '3', I just get the main menu repeated to me. I'm calling around 7pm (within the stated business hours). Are their hours different to what's actually written on the website? Does anybody have another number or direct extension to call?

As a last resort I'll try the DIY procedure.

Does anybody know if this problem has been reported in the press? If not, I'm sure an article or two would help our cause....

If I remember correctly, I am pretty sure the press release said it applies to US and Canada customers only.

I assume you should call the local distributor instead.
http://www.intl.onkyo.com/support/lo...australia.html
post #1183 of 1701 Old 12-03-2011, 08:03 PM

I have a RC270 that I purchased in feb of 2011. I only use the internal amp to power my 2 surround speakers. Today while listening to some stereo music my receiver shut off and the red light flashed. I went over to it and it felt hot and smelt burnt. Now what?
post #1184 of 1701 Old 12-03-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carageuw View Post

If I remember correctly, I am pretty sure the press release said it applies to US and Canada customers only.

I assume you should call the local distributor instead.
[urll]http://www.intl.onkyo.com/support/local_support/australia.html[/urll]

I did purchase it in the US from Amazon then moved to Australia and brought it with me. Onkyo Australia previously said they won't touch it unless they get special authorization from US. But I'll pursue that route as well.. probably easier for everyone.
post #1185 of 1701 Old 12-04-2011, 05:14 AM

carageuw - I was mistaking, I thought they both had MultEQ XT! From what I've read here from folks who have gotten new AVR's (replacing units from the same manufacturers, just the latest equivalent model they currently have) the refinement in room correction results going with MultEQ XT have been quite significant and appreciated by the vast majority. I would have to amend my recommendation to going with the 370. Best wishes on your unit, which ever you decide, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
post #1186 of 1701 Old 12-04-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:

carageuw - I was mistaking, I thought they both had MultEQ XT! From what I've read here from folks who have gotten new AVR's (replacing units from the same manufacturers, just the latest equivalent model they currently have) the refinement in room correction results going with MultEQ XT have been quite significant and appreciated by the vast majority. I would have to amend my recommendation to going with the 370. Best wishes on your unit, which ever you decide, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Well, if I sent an 1008 in and got an 1009 back.
The decision between keeping a 370 and 1009 would have been a no-brainer, but according to the service station that upgrade didn't occur here.
Anyway, FedEx said I would get the machine delivered tomorrow then I will probably put it up on Craigslist.
post #1187 of 1701 Old 12-04-2011, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Anybody else having Slacker issues? Last couple days I get a connection error.
post #1188 of 1701 Old 12-05-2011, 10:54 AM

Just got the receiver back from the service center.
Checked out the invoice to see what work has been done.
Here is all it says:
Onkyo Digital Receiver - Warranty- No Charge
Reference: (my phone number)
Set disassembled and diagnosed.
Locate & replace intermittent connections in system control circuit.

That's it?

Oh well, I am probably putting it up on craigslist this week.
post #1189 of 1701 Old 12-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Well, received my 5008 back today from United Radio in Syracuse,NY. I am in Florida. It took about 3 weeks start to finish and came back double boxed and in perfect condition. The repair ticket says "locate and replace intermittent connections in system control circuit". It went with the typical ide cable symptoms that most others here have experienced.

I plugged it in just to see if it stays on selected inputs. All seems well . Will install tomorrow and report back if any issues.

I'm so glad the ticking time bomb has been diffused.

If you're talkin, you ain't learnin.
post #1190 of 1701 Old 12-05-2011, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just got the receiver back from the service center.
Checked out the invoice to see what work has been done.
Here is all it says:
Onkyo Digital Receiver - Warranty- No Charge
Reference: (my phone number)
Set disassembled and diagnosed.
Locate & replace intermittent connections in system control circuit.

That's it?

Oh well, I am probably putting it up on craigslist this week.

Mine said same thing. United radio in Syracuse?
Why sell it now that it is fixed?

If you're talkin, you ain't learnin.
post #1191 of 1701 Old 12-05-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi59 View Post

Mine said same thing. United radio in Syracuse?
Why sell it now that it is fixed?

Right. United Radio.
Because I feel like keeping the RC0370.
post #1192 of 1701 Old 12-05-2011, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
United Radio does excellent work and is probably the best possible place to send in an Onkyo for repair. For those planning on selling their's Onkyo after the repair, good luck on the new AVR. I do actually enjoy mixing it up and using different Brands with different GUI's and Remote Controls.

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #1193 of 1701 Old 12-05-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork View Post

United Radio does excellent work and is probably the best possible place to send in an Onkyo for repair. For those planning on selling their's Onkyo after the repair, good luck on the new AVR. I do actually enjoy mixing it up and using different Brands with different GUI's and Remote Controls.

If the 370 also breaks down within an year, I am pretty sure I will never buy another Onkyo within the next decade.
post #1194 of 1701 Old 12-05-2011, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

If the 370 also breaks down within an year, I am pretty sure I will never buy another Onkyo within the next decade.

Hello,
I noticed you ended up getting a 370 after writing my Post. At least from the initial reports, the x09 Series really seems to be less problematic and also produces less heat.

After what happened with my 3007 and the idiocy I dealt with at the local Service Center, I really am of the same mind in respect to the 3008 I got as a replacement for my 3007.

Truth be told, if Outlaw's announced Model 978 is released and is relatively trouble free, I might just get it even if the 3008 does not have an issue.
Cheers,
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #1195 of 1701 Old 12-05-2011, 10:48 PM

Liked: 11
I purchased an Integra DHC 40.2 online and of course had no warranty in Canada where I live. Less than a month later, the Integra experienced the same problems described in this thread and I was faced with shipping it back to the States for warranty or paying for repairs in Canada. Sending a delicate processor by hamfisted courier didn't appeal to me so after reading a couple of replies on this forum where people attempted repairs themselves, I decided to go for it. I'm no electronics tech but have no fear of taking things apart lol. That said, I replaced the 40 pin IDE cable with one from an old computer after cleaning all the connections with alcohol and deoxit. The CPU board the IDE cable connects to was cleaned with contact cleaner and a toothbrush to remove the sticky residue left by the factory. I didn't remove the board, but was careful not to disturb the surrounding components with the toothbrush.
Plugged it in and turned it on....no magic smoke and its worked perfectly for the last 2 weeks. Anyone with a bit of technical savvy can do this repair with very good results.

Ed
post #1196 of 1701 Old 12-06-2011, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Everdog - No idea on what the hang up was, but you seem to have a great deal in common with the Russian Cosmonaut "Hero" in Armagedon But what a great score at that price point!

I was really upset at first. I went from thinking I had a great deal to having a broken receiver all plugged in that I never had a chance to use or see how it works.
Luckily, a few hard bangs got it going (just like in Armagedon as you said!). So far it has stayed that way even after many hours of use.

I still recommend to anyone to watch the Club Onkyo site if you are looking for a good deal.
post #1197 of 1701 Old 12-06-2011, 03:32 PM

I got my TX-NR3008 from Adam's Electronics today. Just about 14 days turn around. So not bad at all.
The receiver is just now hooked up and seems to be working fine. Running Audyssey as I type this (very softly ).

The invoice says: Replaced
CPU-PCB
Socket/Cable 15'
P7501A,B Connector

Updated firmware.

Let see if this fix holds water! I absolutely loved this receiver when it was working!
post #1198 of 1701 Old 12-16-2011, 05:52 AM

Well, I guess I may be joining the repair club. Last night the 270 stopped responding to the remote commands (volume, power, input selection) and now won't turn off without using the front panel. No mode cycling yet, but I am sure that is coming soon...

Just about 11 months from purchase and 10 from first use. Used for 4-5 hours a day on average for the duration. Time to get prepared for the repair process!
post #1199 of 1701 Old 12-16-2011, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysh View Post

Well, I guess I may be joining the repair club. Last night the 270 stopped responding to the remote commands (volume, power, input selection) and now won't turn off without using the front panel. No mode cycling yet, but I am sure that is coming soon...

Just about 11 months from purchase and 10 from first use. Used for 4-5 hours a day on average for the duration. Time to get prepared for the repair process!

Always a good idea to chech batteries etc.
post #1200 of 1701 Old 12-16-2011, 11:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso060 View Post

I did purchase it in the US from Amazon then moved to Australia and brought it with me. Onkyo Australia previously said they won't touch it unless they get special authorization from US. But I'll pursue that route as well.. probably easier for everyone.

if you used certain mcard/visa/amex's ... they dbl the manf warr with their own no question asked coverage...how old is it and have you sought that route ?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Nr717 , Onkyo Tx Nr906 , Onkyo Brand , Onkyo Tx Nr414 , Onkyo Tx Nr515 , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Onkyo Tx Nr807 , Onkyo Ht Rc270 , Onkyo Tx Nr708 , Onkyo Tx Nr808 , Onkyo Tx Nr1008
Gear in this thread - Nr807 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page