The "OFFICIAL" Onkyo RC270, NR708,NR808, NR1008, NR5008, Integra 80.2 Failure Thread - Page 46 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1351 of 1698 Old 04-22-2012, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmcnamara View Post

Unfortunately, I will be doing it again. Things work great until I use the volume control on the front panel and that sends it cycling through audio modes. If I fiddle with the volume knob it will eventually stop and the remote, as well as the rest of the front panel works just fine.

It the second cleaning doesn't fix it, I will likely ship it off to Onkyo.

So I did mine a second time this weekend. While my boards were nothing as bad as what some have described, I had certainly not been thorough enough the first go. And, this time I went ahead and replaced the 40 pin sockets on both boards too. I should have done it the first time as there was stuff underneath them that I hadn't gotten. A bunch of spraying and scrubbing and I have a couple of clean boards. I went ahead and made a new, proper length ribbon cable too, instead of folding up an extra long IDE cable. All in all, I have about $30 invested and about four hours of time, mainly because I took it apart twice.

Everything works now and I expect it to continue for a good long time, though I will certainly report back if it re-occurs.

As an aside for anyone else considering doing the repair themselves, replacing the sockets requires decent soldering skills, a fine tip iron, and a "solder sucker". It is not a novice job, but it is quite doable from someone with reasonable experience. The display board is easy. The CPU board does have several surface mount components close to the connector so you have to be careful and watch you step. YMMV and all that jazz. Toast you receiver and it's not my fault.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1698 Old 04-22-2012, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:

So I did mine a second time this weekend. While my boards were nothing as bad as what some have described, I had certainly not been thorough enough the first go. And, this time I went ahead and replaced the 40 pin sockets on both boards too. I should have done it the first time as there was stuff underneath them that I hadn't gotten. A bunch of spraying and scrubbing and I have a couple of clean boards. I went ahead and made a new, proper length ribbon cable too, instead of folding up an extra long IDE cable. All in all, I have about $30 invested and about four hours of time, mainly because I took it apart twice.

Everything works now and I expect it to continue for a good long time, though I will certainly report back if it re-occurs.

As an aside for anyone else considering doing the repair themselves, replacing the sockets requires decent soldering skills, a fine tip iron, and a "solder sucker". It is not a novice job, but it is quite doable from someone with reasonable experience. The display board is easy. The CPU board does have several surface mount components close to the connector so you have to be careful and watch you step. YMMV and all that jazz. Toast you receiver and it's not my fault.

you got the part#'s for the connectors ??

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #1353 of 1698 Old 04-23-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

you got the part#'s for the connectors ??

I don't have the part number for the exact parts I used as I picked them up at a local parts place. Any 40 pin right angle shrouded (even unshrouded) eader should be fine though. I used a locking version.

Note that if you use the locking version, you have to move an electrolytic cap to the bottom of the board and remove a plastic post behind the volume control dial to make room for the slightly larger outline of the header.

Part numbers and URLs in the next post.
post #1354 of 1698 Old 04-23-2012, 07:15 AM

I couldn't post links until my third post, sorry. Below are some examples for the header parts.

A33187-ND: Low profile right angle shrouded header
http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...187-ND/1114925

I used a locking version similar to this.

AHB40H-ND:
http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...B40H-ND/769046
post #1355 of 1698 Old 04-25-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:

I couldn't post links until my third post, sorry. Below are some examples for the header parts.

A33187-ND: Low profile right angle shrouded header
http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...187-ND/1114925

I used a locking version similar to this.

AHB40H-ND:
http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...B40H-ND/769046

Thanks for the information. I live in Argentina and extended warranty is not applicable in my country.

I have cleaned my 708 and everything looks good, but the problem is still there. I will try to replace the connectors and I will post the results. I hope to be lucky.

Regards,

Gustavo Anaya, Bs.As.
UBUNTU - Linux for Human Beings
post #1356 of 1698 Old 04-25-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganaya View Post

Thanks for the information. I live in Argentina and extended warranty is not applicable in my country.

I have cleaned my 708 and everything looks good, but the problem is still there. I will try to replace the connectors and I will post the results. I hope to be lucky.

Regards,

I thought I had as well. However, looking at it the second time I stripped it down, I had missed several places. Look at the traces leading into the processors on the display and CPU board. If you haven't, pull the CPU board out of the stack and clean it well. You only have to remove the HDMI interface board, loosen the analog board and the case screw on the left side (looking at it from the rear) in able to get the CPU board out. You have to angle and tilt stuff and take it slow, but it is doable.

Look at each of the boards closely in very good light. Anything that looks wet or greasy needs to be cleaned off. I used an entire can of electronics cleaner and a stiff plastic bristle brush to clean it. So far mine is doing wonderfully after my second pass. Best of luck to you.
post #1357 of 1698 Old 04-25-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:

I thought I had as well. However, looking at it the second time I stripped it down, I had missed several places. Look at the traces leading into the processors on the display and CPU board. If you haven't, pull the CPU board out of the stack and clean it well. You only have to remove the HDMI interface board, loosen the analog board and the case screw on the left side (looking at it from the rear) in able to get the CPU board out. You have to angle and tilt stuff and take it slow, but it is doable.

Look at each of the boards closely in very good light. Anything that looks wet or greasy needs to be cleaned off. I used an entire can of electronics cleaner and a stiff plastic bristle brush to clean it. So far mine is doing wonderfully after my second pass. Best of luck to you.

I was able to pull out the two boards (CPU and display boards). I cleaned these two boards very carefuly (several times); but who knows, I probably missed something. I will check everything again.

The only thing that I didn't do is to replace the IDE connectors, so next step will be to change these connectors and pray.

In the meanwhile I am using my old fashioned and loved Denon 3806.

Thanks again !!!

Regards,

Gustavo Anaya, Bs.As.
post #1358 of 1698 Old 04-26-2012, 10:56 AM

Onkyo dropped the ball on getting the mailing label to me, so after a few days I had to call them back and the label was in my inbox in a few minutes. I shipped it out on Thursday April 19 and it arrived at the repair center on Monday morning.

Here I am working from home, and the FedEx guy just pulled up and delivered my 708 from the repair shop! Arrived Monday, must have fixed Tuesday, shipped Wednesday and arrived today! Beautiful!

And in the meantime I did completely redid my AV closet, took out the shelves and replaced it with a rack on casters. Tidied up the wiring. My wife is thrilled.

Now we'll see how it works. If so, everybody wins.
post #1359 of 1698 Old 04-26-2012, 11:37 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by yupyupman View Post

Onkyo dropped the ball on getting the mailing label to me, so after a few days I had to call them back and the label was in my inbox in a few minutes. I shipped it out on Thursday April 19 and it arrived at the repair center on Monday morning.

Here I am working from home, and the FedEx guy just pulled up and delivered my 708 from the repair shop! Arrived Monday, must have fixed Tuesday, shipped Wednesday and arrived today! Beautiful!

And in the meantime I did completely redid my AV closet, took out the shelves and replaced it with a rack on casters. Tidied up the wiring. My wife is thrilled.

Greetings,

Great to hear. Fingers crossed..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #1360 of 1698 Old 04-26-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yupyupman View Post

You are a lucky guy

Congratulations..!!!! In my case it is not so easy....

Regards,

Gustavo Anaya, Bs.As.
post #1361 of 1698 Old 04-27-2012, 09:34 AM

Was up til 1am putting everything back together and caught SportsCenter til 2am. Thanks Onkyo for taking care of this issue.
post #1362 of 1698 Old 05-01-2012, 10:47 AM

Wish I had searched more in depth...probably would have found this a while ago...

1. 5008 (S/N 2963MP1090021308)

2. 12/2010

3. Super Fi London

4. Would enter Audessy setup at power-on.

5. 14 months

6. Constant until factory reset. Then approx one month later, listening mode issue occured.

7. -Unit does not respond to remote commands. TBH, this has occured will before the above and thought nothing of it.
-Unit cycles randomly and rapidly through input modes OR listening modes.

8. Was told to take to local reseller.

9. A module was replaced (don't have sheet in front of me at the moment), but although that particular issue seemed to be repaired, it was generally far worse. No audio other than from direct or pure audio and only with analog input. no HDMI audio was available. Left rear channel developed squeal/tone/ground fault with some listening modes. Additionally, the right surrround and right high speaker outputs were physically damaged and the right surround board retaining screw was barely even screwed down. Went back to service center same day and unit is still out of my posession. This is the 4th week without it.
post #1363 of 1698 Old 05-04-2012, 05:34 AM

My experience is similar to Yupyupman.

It took better than a week for the box and label to arrive. But I boxed it up the next day and dropped it off at FedEx on Sunday, Apr 29. (note: the instructions said to drop it off at UPS, but it was a FedEx label)

FedEx shipped it out the following day and even before I got around to checking the tracking number, I got an email from United Radio that it had arrived and they were reviewing the documentation. Another email followed letting me know it was scheduled for repair; followed by a final email at 11PM last night telling me it had been shipped back to me. All-in-all very quick work on the part of United Radio. I thought it would take weeks.

Here is the explanation of the repairs I found on United's website:

Disassemble and repair
Replace intermittent flex cable in system control circuit
Replace intermittent connectors in system control circuit

With all the problems that Onkyo customers have had with the '08 series receivers, I guess they knew exactly what had to be done. With luck I'll have it for the weekend.
post #1364 of 1698 Old 05-04-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artg1946 View Post

My experience is similar to Yupyupman.

It took better than a week for the box and label to arrive. But I boxed it up the next day and dropped it off at FedEx on Sunday, Apr 29. (note: the instructions said to drop it off at UPS, but it was a FedEx label)

FedEx shipped it out the following day and even before I got around to checking the tracking number, I got an email from United Radio that it had arrived and they were reviewing the documentation. Another email followed letting me know it was scheduled for repair; followed by a final email at 11PM last night telling me it had been shipped back to me. All-in-all very quick work on the part of United Radio. I thought it would take weeks.

Here is the explanation of the repairs I found on United's website:

Disassemble and repair
Replace intermittent flex cable in system control circuit
Replace intermittent connectors in system control circuit

With all the problems that Onkyo customers have had with the '08 series receivers, I guess they knew exactly what had to be done. With luck I'll have it for the weekend.

I'll bet they don't even trouble shoot them anymore like they used to !! Just replace ,clean, send it back ...

Mike

post #1365 of 1698 Old 05-09-2012, 01:40 AM

Welp, I guess I need to update my fixit-site, (http://www.moparhowto.com/ht-howtos/...kyo-nr708.html) mine just went tits up again. It's intermittent this time and to reset it I have to pull the power cord, but it's definitely the same issue.

I'm sick of it, I guess I'll have to wait for my day off and wander over to a local place. Maybe I can pick up an old-stock 809 for cheap... maybe I'll pull this one apart and re-clean it and use it for something else.

Too bad too, I just dropped a bunch of cash on an Emo XPA-3 and thought it would be more reliable without all the power draw from my Polk RTI-12's and CSI5. Guess not.
post #1366 of 1698 Old 05-09-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseract View Post

Welp, I guess I need to update my fixit-site, (http://www.moparhowto.com/ht-howtos/...kyo-nr708.html) mine just went tits up again. It's intermittent this time and to reset it I have to pull the power cord, but it's definitely the same issue.

I'm sick of it, I guess I'll have to wait for my day off and wander over to a local place. Maybe I can pick up an old-stock 809 for cheap... maybe I'll pull this one apart and re-clean it and use it for something else.

Too bad too, I just dropped a bunch of cash on an Emo XPA-3 and thought it would be more reliable without all the power draw from my Polk RTI-12's and CSI5. Guess not.

Teseract,

Sorry for your problem resurfacing.

I am also getting an uneasy feeling with my 5008. My wife discovered my 5008 on yesterday morning along with my display so I was hoping that it was just my daughter leaving things on. My wife turned off the unit. When I returned home yesterday evening I discovered that the 5008 was on again. I will see what today brings me when I get home. I am hoping my problem isn't re-occurring after the fix from last year. I have literally put maybe 300 hours on this unit. I know Onkyo makes a decent product, because I owned their separates years ago, but the 08 series has been an utter disaster. I am crossing my fingers that the problem is not re-occurring, but if it does I will have it repaired and sell the unit.

Before some chime in with their experiences with other manufacturers please don't, because it is irrelevant to me as an Onkyo owner. Also, I am aware that Onkyo will repair (so they say and time will tell) the unit out of warranty, but that doesn't help me when I am without the unit for repeated repairs if it comes to that.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #1367 of 1698 Old 05-09-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Damn,,,,,
Sorry to hear that ,
I was just about to tear into my 5008 following your guides , BUT now I'm gonna send it off to Onkyo , seems that Onkyo is replacing the HDMI & Logic boards now on some units as well as the ribbon cables. So that might be your problem is the boards themselves are corrupted by corrosion as well.

Mike

post #1368 of 1698 Old 05-09-2012, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

Teseract,

Sorry for your problem resurfacing.

I am also getting an uneasy feeling with my 5008. My wife discovered my 5008 on yesterday morning along with my display so I was hoping that it was just my daughter leaving things on. My wife turned off the unit. When I returned home yesterday evening I discovered that the 5008 was on again. I will see what today brings me when I get home. I am hoping my problem isn't re-occurring after the fix from last year. I have literally put maybe 300 hours on this unit. I know Onkyo makes a decent product, because I owned their separates years ago, but the 08 series has been an utter disaster. I am crossing my fingers that the problem is not re-occurring, but if it does I will have it repaired and sell the unit.

Before some chime in with their experiences with other manufacturers please don't, because it is irrelevant to me as an Onkyo owner. Also, I am aware that Onkyo will repair (so they say and time will tell) the unit out of warranty, but that doesn't help me when I am without the unit for repeated repairs if it comes to that.

I picked up a open box 1009 for $ 1K as a temporary replacement for my 5008 , I REALLY like it better than the 5008 for the New Video chipsets . I'm gonna have the 5008 fixed then sell it ...........
get a new AVR & then move the 1009 to the bedroom to replace a Onk 807 (another bad run of Onk's there too, the 807 is good for now but it's just a matter of time there )

Mike

post #1369 of 1698 Old 05-09-2012, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I picked up a open box 1009 for $ 1K as a temporary replacement for my 5008 , I REALLY like it better than the 5008 for the New Video chipsets . I'm gonna have the 5008 fixed then sell it ...........
get a new AVR & then move the 1009 to the bedroom to replace a Onk 807 (another bad run of Onk's there too, the 807 is good for now but it's just a matter of time there )

Well I got home and the unit was on again and unresponsive to the remote or the buttons on the front panel. I guess I will be sending it in for repair and selling it.

It is a shame for such a fine product to be so problematic. I am not going to condemn all Onkyo AVRs, but this unit has left me with an uneasy feeling and I will be staying away from Onkyo for the time being. I am just glad that it is not in my main setup.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #1370 of 1698 Old 05-09-2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:

seems that Onkyo is replacing the HDMI & Logic boards now on some units

That's what's now happening to mine as suggested by the reseller, though trying to get any info from them is damn near impossible.
post #1371 of 1698 Old 05-11-2012, 06:48 AM

Liked: 15
bakerwi - so sorry to here about your units failure. All of us X08/XX08 owners have been rooting for those who have the aptitude/skill/know-how/balls to attempt this repair on their own. Now I'm getting nervous about all the factory repaired units... like mine!
Hope your issues are quickly resolved.

Teseract - I would be a real **** if I didn't warn you... the X09/XX09 units (with I believe, specific production dates/serial numbers, are also experiencing problems that was again the subject of an Onkyo press release. Please be careful with picking up a 809, check the thread here on AVS for the specifics, and best of luck

21 months now, and although I haven't put in as much use as I had planned (probably about 200 hours movies, 50 hours music (alot at near reference level)) so far so good. If it turns out that the "fix" we have all hoped to work really doesn't, Onkyo's rep will suffer considerably, (regardless of how fast the turn around time for the next "fix" is) and many will be AVR shopping for anything but Onkyo. I wonder if Gibson knows what they might have just inherited... a potential exodus that could be of biblical proportion!

Still keeping my fingeers (and toes!) crossed!
post #1372 of 1698 Old 05-12-2012, 01:16 AM

I got annoyed since buying a new one would cut into the money I was planning on spending for sweet sweet air conditioning, so I grabbed a new single-end IDE cable and a can of some NASTY automotive electric parts cleaner this time and went nuts on the thing. Cleaner was pooling and rolling off the edges of the table. It was an 18oz can and there's like 4oz left now. It still reeks in here, actually.

WARNING: When using automotive electric parts cleaner, do it OUTSIDE as the smell lingers FOREVER and will strip the varnish off of finished wood surfaces.

I let it dry for an hour to make sure it all evaporated and re-assembled it (sadly, now my volume knob doesn't work as the cleaner dissolved the glue on the shaft, but that's what remotes are for, right?) but so far so good. I'm a little worried as it ran all day yesterday for like 12 hours of use and about half of today before switching to Cable/Sat by itself again and locking up.

Thanks for the heads up on the 709/809. If I end up buying new I'm for sure running the serial number on the site before I even get it out of the box!
post #1373 of 1698 Old 05-12-2012, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
The new 818 is supposed tone areal winner and an attempt by Onkyo to clear the air of the smell from the ..08 quality control fiascos. We shall see.

AC is always a priority.
post #1374 of 1698 Old 05-12-2012, 05:53 AM

They'd better. The '08 fiasco was bad enough, add on top of that the "limited" run of bad '09s... and as I recall they had HDMI board issues in the '07s... all this must be costing them a fortune. The cost of shipping to and from service centers alone has to be eating into their bottom line enough to be a concern.
post #1375 of 1698 Old 05-12-2012, 06:12 AM

I've got a 5008 that exhibited the dreaded 'no response to remote input'. Just dropped it off a Alex Audio. All I can say is 2k investment lasted less than 2 years. What a joke. Reading some of the threads, even if it is claimed to be fixed, what is the probability of another failure? My guess is > 50%
post #1376 of 1698 Old 05-12-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTrauma View Post

21 months now, and although I haven't put in as much use as I had planned (probably about 200 hours movies, 50 hours music (alot at near reference level)) so far so good. If it turns out that the "fix" we have all hoped to work really doesn't, Onkyo's rep will suffer considerably, (regardless of how fast the turn around time for the next "fix" is) and many will be AVR shopping for anything but Onkyo. I wonder if Gibson knows what they might have just inherited... a potential exodus that could be of biblical proportion!

Still keeping my fingeers (and toes!) crossed!

The most frustrating part for me is the limited use that I have put this unit through only to have it start behaving erratically after already having it serviced. I have no confidence that this unit will perform consistently over its life span and I am not happy about possibly having to replace the unit prematurely.

Continued luck with your unit.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #1377 of 1698 Old 05-12-2012, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They'd better. The '08 fiasco was bad enough, add on top of that the "limited" run of bad '09s... and as I recall they had HDMI board issues in the '07s... all this must be costing them a fortune. The cost of shipping to and from service centers alone has to be eating into their bottom line enough to be a concern.

So it seems like the last 3 model years have had some type of an issue. While I know some have had good experiences with Onkyo products I presently am not a member of the elusive club. I know other manufacturers (not a topic for this thread) have problems from time to time, but I can only base my buying decision on my experience with the product. Hence, my next AVR purchase will not be an Onkyo.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #1378 of 1698 Old 05-12-2012, 10:57 PM

I was tempted to pick up a 709 as it still has Audyssey XT, where it looks like the new equivalent model will have plain MultiEQ. I don't need the extra amplification, I have external amps for that... oh well.

If I'm lucky my second attempt at a fix will last longer than the first time and I'll be able to wait until the 818 prices go down or the 809 gets cheaper and the "faulty" ones get out of the channel, as we all know Onkyo doesn't bother pulling back broken stock, they'd rather just make the end customer ship it cross country and wait an indeterminate amount of time to get it back.
post #1379 of 1698 Old 05-13-2012, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Are you guys having to send your units in a second time? I had my 5508 serviced which took about two weeks total. Haven't had any trouble since.
post #1380 of 1698 Old 05-13-2012, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post

Are you guys having to send your units in a second time? I had my 5508 serviced which took about two weeks total. Haven't had any trouble since.

I repaired mine myself, though I admittedly did not replace the IDE connectors on the boards. Desoldering delicate components like that is beyond my current expertise.

I suspect there's more of the coating crud that's slowly melting under the heat and creeping under the connectors. I replaced the IDE cable again and hosed it down with some harsher cleaner the other day. It's been on today since 11am (now 5am the next day) and no glitches so far.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Nr717 , Onkyo Tx Nr906 , Onkyo Brand , Onkyo Tx Nr414 , Onkyo Tx Nr515 , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Onkyo Tx Nr807 , Onkyo Ht Rc270 , Onkyo Tx Nr708 , Onkyo Tx Nr808 , Onkyo Tx Nr1008
Gear in this thread - Nr807 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page