The "OFFICIAL" Onkyo RC270, NR708,NR808, NR1008, NR5008, Integra 80.2 Failure Thread - Page 49 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1441 of 1701 Old 10-11-2012, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Call, get the shipping label (and may be a box too) to send it to a regional service center. They know very well what's being done to correct the problem at those service centers, and will apply the fix to your unit, regardless of what the "mechanic" finds when they "pop the hood"! Best wishes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1701 Old 10-11-2012, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
ABL Electronics called me on my defective 5008 receiver. They let me know that the HDMI board is bad and that the board is on back order and should arrive 10/27/2012 according to Onkyo. Just a heads up for all of you waiting on HDMI boards.

post #1443 of 1701 Old 10-11-2012, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirmich View Post

Hi All!
Background: Bought the TX-NR708 in a Pawn Shop for 200 bucks In Working Order! (So No Warranty for Me) I had a Sony Setup with 6.2 Channels but Didnt have HDMI or Any Blu-Ray losless Codecs.
The 708 lasted around 2 months before displaying the usual Symptoms (No Control Over It, Random Power Off)
After 3 months it wont turn on at All...
Now after reading Extensivelly this Thread I found out that I have to Clean up the "Logic Board" as well this is where it gets confusing for me.
The Logic Board is? My First Guess is the PCB Board in which the IDE cable gets in (Ex. Not the Display Board).
!

After having two receivers(broken) side by side I was able to draw the following conclusion:
1. Units with the freezing/front panel appear to have earlier build date
2. Having swapped front panels, the frozen unit was still in a frozen state.
3. Swapped what I call(main signal sub board)- the one the IDE plugs into and the problem followed tha board.

Close inspection shows this board to be in bad shape. I noticed severe oxidation on many of the via's and test points. I did not notice any flux residue or conformal coating. Its so bad- I would like to believe this has occured on the inner layers of the PCB as well.
This board was defintely subjected to a manufacturing disaster.
post #1444 of 1701 Old 10-12-2012, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Any chance for a picture? So the rest of us waiting on impending doom can see what to look for.

Thanks!
post #1445 of 1701 Old 10-12-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdolen View Post

Any chance for a picture? So the rest of us waiting on impending doom can see what to look for.
Thanks!

Two photos from the bad board...the other shows what normal PCB would look like.
The green is what appears to be copper oxidation- I need to look close under a scope, but my camera picked up what appears to be little bubbles around it.
I sprayed the board down today and now I can also feel a residue.
I wished I had not done that so I could have someone check to see if there was any conformal coating on the board.

Unfortunately, I have closed up the fixed receiver. Would have been nice to look at it in detial, but I will say, the board I put in there, came out of a more recent serial #.

post #1446 of 1701 Old 10-12-2012, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Do you guys think Onkyo corrected these issues for the current model line or not?
post #1447 of 1701 Old 10-18-2012, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The entire X08 range is a complete disaster. There seems to be lots of reports of X09 receivers having the same issues too. After that, I'm not sure.

This entire fiasco has left a very bad taste in my mouth with Onkyo. Having problems is one thing but being unable to fix them is incompetance in the extreme. Mine has been repaired three times now and it's still having problems. Unbelievable.
post #1448 of 1701 Old 10-20-2012, 09:54 AM

I cannot see how this is Onkyo's fault? As far as I know they dont build the actual PCB's, they are done by some CM. As far as I have read, there isnt any design change reported on the new parts.

Now as far as a repair not being done correctly, absolutely agree. Whomever screwed up, should be eating the costs all around and I'm fairly sure they are. Customers should not have 3x repairs to get it resolved.

I do own a x09 model bought new A stock and so far 1.5 years, I have no problems.
post #1449 of 1701 Old 10-20-2012, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My 5508 had all the same issues. I had a great vendor. Mine was 3 months old when it happened. Instead of going through the repair process he insisted I be sent a new one to replace it. That has been about 15 months ago and so far this one has been solid (hope I don't jinx myself). Maybe I got lucky and received one that has the bugs fixed.

Front - Mythos ST, Center - Mythos 8 and 10
Front Height - Gems, Side Surround - Gem XL
Back Surround - Gem XL
Sub - Supercube Ref
There can never be enough music
post #1450 of 1701 Old 10-20-2012, 01:11 PM

Liked: 10
My 708 is in for repair. Took 2 years for it to blow up. I'm waiting on the HDMI board which is on back order. They are going to replace the ribbon the board and the connector. I though it might of beat it too but I was wrong.. This my 2nd by the way the first one bricked in 3 months after an update when it kept losing the connection with the internet.
post #1451 of 1701 Old 10-20-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldiablos View Post

ABL Electronics called me on my defective 5008 receiver. They let me know that the HDMI board is bad and that the board is on back order and should arrive 10/27/2012 according to Onkyo. Just a heads up for all of you waiting on HDMI boards.

I am curious if the HDMI board fixes the problem. I have a NR708 with the same problem as you described (no sound and network and usb don't work with graying out in the menu). Same as you I can get sound on occasion if I play with the zones and HDMI control. I assume that you never had any issues with HDMI video being passed to the TV.
post #1452 of 1701 Old 10-20-2012, 09:05 PM

No issue (for me) with HDMI being passed to the TV.. If I can piece together what I've been reading the original fix was cleaning the connections and the board and sending the receiver back. That was not the answer. Once they started with replacing all the defective parts people seem to be somewhat satisfied. ... My question is if they are replacing the bad parts with the same parts (just new) once you get the receiver back it may be good only for year or two and your right back where you started..
post #1453 of 1701 Old 10-21-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwohlford View Post

I am curious if the HDMI board fixes the problem. I have a NR708 with the same problem as you described (no sound and network and usb don't work with graying out in the menu). Same as you I can get sound on occasion if I play with the zones and HDMI control. I assume that you never had any issues with HDMI video being passed to the TV.

Are u sending it in? I'm really curious to know if you can confirm the HDMi was replaced.

One of the 3008 I have in my possession has similar issue(greyed out settings, no sound- relays dont even fire, cant see USB/network etc). The DSP firmwares show as ????? and I thought it was the HDMI....but that same HDMI board works just fine in another receiver.
post #1454 of 1701 Old 10-22-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calimark View Post

Are u sending it in? I'm really curious to know if you can confirm the HDMi was replaced.
One of the 3008 I have in my possession has similar issue(greyed out settings, no sound- relays dont even fire, cant see USB/network etc). The DSP firmwares show as ????? and I thought it was the HDMI....but that same HDMI board works just fine in another receiver.

I am not the original purchaser, so I will probably not send it in unless the fix is cheap. I was curious since somebody else had the same problem if they had been able to get it solved.
post #1455 of 1701 Old 10-23-2012, 08:21 PM

The parts are in for my 708 so I should have back soon.. I will ask the tech if the parts are the same (HDMI) board and such or if I'll end up sending it back in a year or so..
post #1456 of 1701 Old 10-24-2012, 10:29 AM

The part that was ordered for me was Parts Info: 100684. When I dropped off my unit they were all too familiar with the issues with Onkyo. The guy who called me to let me know the part was back ordered said it was for an HDMI board. For those of you who have the same issue as mine, send it in for service, in which you will probably have the same repair in 20 or so months. The only odd thing was I had my cable hooked up via composite cables and the audio issue was on all sources including cable. I will be picking mine up on Thursday and I will talk with the tech in detail.

post #1457 of 1701 Old 10-25-2012, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I haven't followed up on this thread in over a year and I have yet to send my 3008 in even though I was one of the early ones with problems. I'm under construction right now so I decided to wait it out hoping that things will eventually be figured out (repair protocol). So what is the concensus on the outcome following the repairs done by Adam's Electronics?
post #1458 of 1701 Old 10-26-2012, 03:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZ View Post

I haven't followed up on this thread in over a year and I have yet to send my 3008 in even though I was one of the early ones with problems. I'm under construction right now so I decided to wait it out hoping that things will eventually be figured out (repair protocol). So what is the concensus on the outcome following the repairs done by Adam's Electronics?

Adam's seemed to have fixed the problem (2nd repair the 1st was by a local authorized repair center) though I use the unit sparingly, but I do check every other day to make sure the unit isn't powering on by itself.smile.gif

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #1459 of 1701 Old 10-26-2012, 09:34 AM

Dear Customer,

This is the xxxxxx Service Center contacting you with a status update on the unit that was sent in for repair. The technician ordered a part to repair your unit, that part has been received. Unfortunately it did not fully fix the problem. He has ordered another part to repair your unit and we are currently just waiting on that part to come in. If you have any questions in the meantime you can contact us at...

The part that is "now" on order is the HDMI board. Shouldn't that of been the first thing they ordered !?
post #1460 of 1701 Old 10-28-2012, 09:10 AM

Hello all. As of yesterday, Saturday 10/27, I had the failure you are all describing here on my 5008. No audio output what so ever. Although I should still be within the two year warranty period, (just barely), I'm wondering where to go from here. Having read a number of the posts here, it appears to be a known issue that may or may not get resolved with repair, (ie: will reoccur). Having been completely satisfied with the previous two Onkyo recievers I had, I didn't think twice about getting this one. What really bothers me is that if I get it fixed, it sounds likely that it will go bad again in a couple of years. I don't need to tell anybody here about how frustrating it is tearing down and setting back up. If I have to do this every two years or so due to a repair issue, I'm just not sure it is worth the aggravation. Might be time to consider another brand.

Anyway, yeaterday, my 5008 lost audio. I powered it down and back on and all was well. This morning, nothing, regardless of how many times I power cycle or remove power totally. My reciever is on all the time doing the audio regardless of the source. (That is to say whenever the TV or any other audio component is on.) It has been trouble free for all this time up until now, when it failed. It still passes the picture through. So, I guess here is another to add to the ranks of failure. I am very disappointed to say the least, and moving into the winter months when it is used the most is a poor time for extended down time waiting on a repair.

FWIW, it has plenty of air. It is not enclosed in a confined space at all. Oh well, I'll probably add to this as I investigate more. mad.gif

John
post #1461 of 1701 Old 10-28-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1262
Welcome to the failed Onkyo club. You might as well get it repaired. Another year or two of use out of it is better than nothing. Mine has been in the shop for two weeks now. In the mean time I bought a new receiver and will give the Onkyo
to my son after it's repaired. At least it won't go to total waste.

Denon AVR-4520CI
Carver Amazing Originals/ Carver Amazing Silvers
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Projector: BenQ W1070
Some audio history:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=222FF...3449%21138&v=3
post #1462 of 1701 Old 10-28-2012, 09:37 AM

Yeah, I was thinking about getting something to use in the interim as well.

John
post #1463 of 1701 Old 10-28-2012, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just bought an open box/ store demo 5009 from Brandsmart. Is there anything I need to worry about ? I bought a 5-yr warranty from them as well.
post #1464 of 1701 Old 10-28-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calimark View Post

Two photos from the bad board...the other shows what normal PCB would look like.
The green is what appears to be copper oxidation- I need to look close under a scope, but my camera picked up what appears to be little bubbles around it.
I sprayed the board down today and now I can also feel a residue.
I wished I had not done that so I could have someone check to see if there was any conformal coating on the board.
Unfortunately, I have closed up the fixed receiver. Would have been nice to look at it in detial, but I will say, the board I put in there, came out of a more recent serial #.

I've been reading this thread, on and off, since Nov. 2011. I saw some of the early solutions and decided to chance buying a TX-NR708 (Like New Open Box) from Amazon Warehouse Deals for $242.95, knowing that no warranty was involved.

After several months it started to turn on by itself, mode cycling, and so on.

Upon disassembly, I never saw anything remotely resembling a gooey or sticky conformal coating on either the display board or the other (Logic Board?) so I just cleaned the board connectors and replaced the 40 pin IDE cable.

Not wanting to waste my time replacing my "Trusty" TX-SR706 back in my system again, I left it plugged in on Standby. I made sure it wasn't even in the same room as my main system as not to get a stray IR turn-on signal. Within a day or so it had turned itself back on. The problem was not fixed and so its sat for the last 4 months.

Even though I'm certainly not any kind of electronics person, in looking at Calimark's board photos and recalling that others had suggested the problem was due to a poor job of washing and neutralizing the acids used during manufacture, it seems that Calimark's theory of shorting between the board layers (through the holes) is "Right on the Money".

I don't see any of the Green Copper Corrosion in mine, but still think the problem lies there.

The method I'm going to try is;

1) Remove the hard clear conformal coating with electronics cleaner.

2) Soak board in a Baking Soda/Distilled Water solution with gentle scrubbing.

3) Wash board in distilled water.

4) Clean board in Ultrasonic Cleaner with "Fresh" Baking Soda/Distilled Water solution.

5) Clean board in "Fresh" Distilled Water in the Ultrasonic Cleaner, Blow off excess, and let board dry thoroughly. Possibly in a low heat (125 F) oven

I really don't see how this can "damage" an unusable board. If this doesn't work' I think that I write this receiver off as JUNK.

My question for Calimark (or anyone else) is; Can you see anything wrong with attempting this method?

Also to remove the rear (Logic?) board, do you just undo the back panel "module" (rear 1/3 section) of the receiver? I remember seeing a photo of a TX-NR3007 (I think) with this module separated from the rest of the receiver.

Suggestions are welcome. Thanks Jack

Edit: I don't plan to use this procedure on the Display Board because of many mechanical switches and fluorescent display.

Also can anyone tell me or lead me in the direction of how to determine the "Build Date" from the Serial #? An old retired bar managers "Search Skills" seem to be somewhat lacking!
post #1465 of 1701 Old 10-28-2012, 02:13 PM

(re: Ranger's post.) Sounds like you did well if you got an extended warranty. Until yesterday I had no idea that there was any trouble. Then I discovered this board. Mine (5008) went EXACTLY two years before having trouble, to the day.

In any case, I was able to have dialog with an Onkyo person today. It seems there is a authorized repair center about an hour drive from me. I'll probably run it down the first chance I get. In the m)ean time, I got a cheap reciever to fill in during the repairs.

John
post #1466 of 1701 Old 10-28-2012, 04:32 PM

Said the heck with it.. Bought a Denon 2113.. I'll use the Onkyo in the garage.. If it works when I get it back..
post #1467 of 1701 Old 10-29-2012, 11:01 AM

I got my 5008 back from ABL. Here is what they listed:

"Traced problem to and replaced defective HDMI board, IDE connectors on microprocessor & display boards & amp IDE cable on microprocessor board per S/B 11060704 & upgraded firmware to the factory specifications. Reassembled & verified proper operation. Exchanged faulty remote control."

The parts replaced were:
2009991154UL - *P7501 CABLE INTFC
25056643 - *P7501 A&B IDE PLUG
24140773 - *A961 RC773M
1B234557-1G_0367A2 - *U008 HDMI BD

I talked to the guy and he said the issue would not reoccur. I think they replaced the IDE as a precaution due to the Service Bulletin (S/B) as stated in the service performed section. The issue with my remote for sure was remote related, not the cable issue because my other universal remote worked fine. I believe that at least with the x008 line, there are two different issues.

1. There is the issue with the IDE cable corrosion that cause the no response issue to commands using any remote. This one shows up quicker.
2. The no audio with grayed out menu options is related to the HDMI board. This one manifests itself after 18 months. My guess is after time, the temperatures eventually cook the board most likely due to poor ventilation design (the onkyo running hot complaint).

I have my Onkyo with two high output 140mm fans on top of the Onkyo drawing hot air out from day one. I hope this helps others with any one of these issues.

post #1468 of 1701 Old 10-30-2012, 02:14 PM

I had the twin fan amp cooler running since day one (automatically came on) and it still fried..
post #1469 of 1701 Old 11-02-2012, 07:48 AM

Still working without issue.
post #1470 of 1701 Old 11-03-2012, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottd34 View Post

They have a press release and said they would fix them out of warranty. Count hurt to try it.
http://www.us.onkyo.com/press_releases.cfm?id=215

What about all the people that had Onkyo's previous junk design AVR's go blewwy right after the warranty ran out?

TX-NR807

Broke 3 weeks out of warranty.

Never
Buying
Another
Onkyo
Again
Ever

Never read so many bad things about Pioneer or Denon or Yamaha in these forums.

buytme
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Nr717 , Onkyo Tx Nr906 , Onkyo Brand , Onkyo Tx Nr414 , Onkyo Tx Nr515 , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Onkyo Tx Nr807 , Onkyo Ht Rc270 , Onkyo Tx Nr708 , Onkyo Tx Nr808 , Onkyo Tx Nr1008
Gear in this thread - Nr807 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page