Originally Posted by bakerwi
I am through!
No sound and this will be the 3rd time for my 5008 if I elect to send it out.
Sorry to hear of your problems.
In case I missed it, what was your average weekly usage and time frame for failures? I'd like to see if I can get a general idea of how problematic these might be.
For instance, here are my 'stats':
- 5008 purchased ~12/2010. I've had a laptop cooling fan on the unit since the first week
- Average weekly usage of about 25 hours
- Using the hidden menu settings for unit Temps (on the unit's front panel, Press and hold Display. While holding Display, press the Standby/Power button and release both, then press Tone), while playing a movie at Reference in 5.1 with the 5008 powering all 89db/w/m speakers (bridged to the Mains) calibrated at 10', the maximum temps seen hit 55C with no fan (ambient room temps in the mid-70f range).
- after the first 2 months, I only used the 5008 to power the surrounds. LCR powered by external amps. With external amps powering the LCR and the fan on the 5008, temps never exceeded ~45C (using external amps only dropped Temps by 1-3C, the fan accounted for the majority of the temp drop).
- Symptoms of HDMI board failure first appeared ~7/2012
- Sent in for repair 10/2012. Repair was botched (they put in a 3008 card missing the rear USB port)
- Sent back in for correct board 11/2012
- When I got the 5008 back 11/2012, I added bigger fans triggered by a slave input to come on whenever the avr is on. With the bigger fans, the 5008's Temps are stable at ~25-26C.
- No further problems as of 11/2013