The "OFFICIAL" Onkyo RC270, NR708,NR808, NR1008, NR5008, Integra 80.2 Failure Thread - Page 57 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1681 of 1698 Old 03-16-2014, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

Out of curiosity, what kind of internal temps do you get using the hidden menu function when your 5008 has been running for at least an hour? I'm wondering if you've just been particularly unlucky, because I bought my 5008 about Dec 2010, the HDMI board began failing ~June 2012, repaired about Oct-Nov 2012 (sent in twice because the first replacement board was a 3008 board sans the rear USB port).

With the bigger fans after the repair, I don't even reach 30c where the internal temps used to be in the low to mid 40c range. It's been problem-free since Nov 2012.

Max

Max,

I've never checked the internal temperature, but I've been operating two fans since I purchased my 5008 and after several hours of usage my it is always cool to the touch. I only bought the fans as a precaution because when I auditioned the unit it was as hot as a radiator. I would to think the unit was designed to run without the need of a fan(s) since Onkyo's higher end models have always run hot based on my limited research.eek.gif
I'll curious about the internal temps you're seeing because you're one of the owners who's had multiple failures.

Could you try the hidden menu after the 5008's been in use for at least an hour?

On the front panel of the avr:
Press and hold Display
While holding Display, press Standby/Power and release both
Press Tone

The internal temp is listed in degrees C in the 2nd line (eg. T:024 = 24c).

Owners claim the xx10 series run cooler than the previous models, but I don't know if that's true. There's no doubt that the heat is affecting the BGA (Ball Grid Array) style chip on the HDMI board. It's the same problem I had with my old Dell XPS M1710 laptop (which also began failing ~1.5 years in), hence why baking the cards restore normal operations, but only for a limited time.

If my 5008 fails again, after fixing it, I'll try affixing one of those CPU coolers on the BGA chip.

Max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1682 of 1698 Old 03-17-2014, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

I'll curious about the internal temps you're seeing because you're one of the owners who's had multiple failures.

Could you try the hidden menu after the 5008's been in use for at least an hour?

Press and hold Display
Press Tone

Owners claim the xx10 series run cooler than the previous models, but I don't know if that's true. There's no doubt that the heat is affecting the BGA (Ball Grid Array) style chip on the HDMI board. It's the same problem I had with my old Dell XPS M1710 laptop (which also began failing ~1.5 years in), hence why baking the cards restore normal operations, but only for a limited time.

If my 5008 fails again, after fixing it, I'll try affixing one of those CPU coolers on the BGA chip.

Max

Max,

I am travelling on business right now, but will check upon my return on Friday evening so most likely Saturday during the day.

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #1683 of 1698 Old 03-17-2014, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

Quote:

Press and hold Display
Press Tone

Max

Max,

I am travelling on business right now, but will check upon my return on Friday evening so most likely Saturday during the day.

Willie
Sounds good. Thanks. BTW, I actually have heard of an owner (maybe it was here on avs?) who actually did the mod I mentioned, of using thermal paste and attaching a CPU cooler to the chip. Never heard the results though, but in theory, since the heat from the chip causes the BGA contacts to loosen (and baking the assembly in an oven softens it enough to reseat and restore contact), if the cooler dissipates heat well enough, it should prevent future occurrences.

Hmmm... maybe there's a market for some bored individual who wants to work at home?

### Onkyo receiver failed? Has your Onkyo avr stopped producing sound? Grayed out menu options and missing speaker icons on the front panel? Yes, you're a victim of the dreaded Onkyo HDMI board failure. Having it repaired under warranty by Onkyo may not prevent the failure from occurring again, but there's a solution. Send your HDMI board (or entire avr) to $!###.com and we will modify the board to prevent future failures!####

LOL

Max
post #1684 of 1698 Old 03-24-2014, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a TX-NR808 purchased from Hong Kong April 2011- I reside in Sydney Australia.

Ten days ago the receiver started decreasing the sound gradually to 0 on its own without any input from any source.

The master volume knob does not work at all.

The volume will increase/decrease through the remote control however the unit is constantly overriding the remote commands & will eventually decrease the volume to 0 within a few minutes.

It is random, as for 2 days straight it did not play up at all.

This is on top of the input scrolling issue which I had repaired 2 1/2 years ago.

Any thoughts on this issue? as I have googled it without success.
post #1685 of 1698 Old 03-27-2014, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I got my 3 year old 5008 back today from United Radio in Syracuse. It was double boxed with four 13 gallon bags of shipping popcorn and a little bubble wrap around it. What a royal pain it was to unpack and clean up the popcorn.

Here is what the invoice said.

Replace intermittent printed circuit board in audio circuits.
Replace intermittent flex cable in system control circuits.
Replace intermittent connectors in system control circuits.
Software or firmware was upgraded to newest version.

It looks like they maxed out the repairs necessary for Onkyos. I haven't seen any evidence of any repairs lasting so i think it would be wise to look for a replacement.
post #1686 of 1698 Old 03-27-2014, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by pongagt View Post

I got my 3 year old 5008 back today from United Radio in Syracuse. It was double boxed with four 13 gallon bags of shipping popcorn and a little bubble wrap around it. What a royal pain it was to unpack and clean up the popcorn.

Here is what the invoice said.

Replace intermittent printed circuit board in audio circuits.
Replace intermittent flex cable in system control circuits.
Replace intermittent connectors in system control circuits.
Software or firmware was upgraded to newest version.

It looks like they maxed out the repairs necessary for Onkyos. I haven't seen any evidence of any repairs lasting so i think it would be wise to look for a replacement.
It doesn't look like they swapped out the HDMI board. So you have that failure to look forward to.

I just last week sent my 5008 to ABL for a bad HDMI board, but I also listed the symptoms of bad ribbon connectors / sockets so hopefully they'll fix those as well. I'm not holding out much hope -- I've already replaced the 5008 with a Denon AVR-4520CI so it's more out of curiosity than anything else that I'm interested to see what they actually fix.
post #1687 of 1698 Old 03-28-2014, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

It doesn't look like they swapped out the HDMI board. So you have that failure to look forward to.

I just last week sent my 5008 to ABL for a bad HDMI board, but I also listed the symptoms of bad ribbon connectors / sockets so hopefully they'll fix those as well. I'm not holding out much hope -- I've already replaced the 5008 with a Denon AVR-4520CI so it's more out of curiosity than anything else that I'm interested to see what they actually fix.

They told me over the phone that they ordered a hdmi board and then they called to say it came in. Maybe that is the pcb in the audio circuit that they replaced. I had all the symptoms of a bad hdmi board and now everything is working. I don't have any faith in things staying that way however so i will be looking for a replacement avr.
post #1688 of 1698 Old 03-29-2014, 02:04 PM

Hello everyone. I have an NR5008 that has a new HDMI board. HDMI seems to work now and I can update the unit from the internet (net/usb menu works) but no sounds comes from the unit at all? Any ideas on what is wrong/how much it will cost to fix this thing?
post #1689 of 1698 Old 03-29-2014, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Lack of audio from any output is usually an indication of a failing HDMI board.
post #1690 of 1698 Old 03-29-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skriefal View Post

Lack of audio from any output is usually an indication of a failing HDMI board.

Thats not good frown.gif. I had the board replaced by a guy on ebay - took a chance and I guess came up short. Looks like his repair service may not have worked. Anyone have any idea how much replacement costs approx? Is it worth it to fix this thing, or should I just go out an buy a new NR929 for 950 bucks on amazon?
post #1691 of 1698 Old 03-30-2014, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by audigeek View Post

Thats not good frown.gif. I had the board replaced by a guy on ebay - took a chance and I guess came up short. Looks like his repair service may not have worked. Anyone have any idea how much replacement costs approx? Is it worth it to fix this thing, or should I just go out an buy a new NR929 for 950 bucks on amazon?

Seeing as we're now getting reports on 818 units also having the same board failures, I'd be inclined to find a different brand.
post #1692 of 1698 Old 03-30-2014, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy View Post

Seeing as we're now getting reports on 818 units also having the same board failures, I'd be inclined to find a different brand.

Yea I've given up on Onkyo moved to Pioneer.
post #1693 of 1698 Old 03-30-2014, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanary73 View Post

Yea I've given up on Onkyo moved to Pioneer.

Me too. Love my Denon. smile.gif
post #1694 of 1698 Old 03-30-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarav098 View Post

No AUDIO FIX

Hello all,
A couple of weeks ago I posted about the problems I was having with the 3008 receiver.
The symptoms
No audio - amp relays not latching and no network control and greyed out in the menu.
Troubleshooting – I troubleshot the problem extensively to find out the cause to be the HDI board, specifically the DD/DTS chip on the right hand side. This chip can be easily identified because as it is one of two BGA (Ball Grid Array) chips. This means is that the chip is soldered to the PCB from the bottom whereas traditional SMT chips have the pins exposed.
It is a known problem that this type of surface-mount packaging may have some non-compliant connections/leads. See Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_grid_array#Noncompliant_leads
So this is not an inherent Onkyo design flaw.
Fix: Board solder Re-Flow. Oven method. Re-flowing the board melts the solder slightly and ensures a good contact.
While this may sound technical, it’s only a 30 minute job and a very good alternative to sending your receiver in for repair if its out of warranty or you don’t want UPS/FedEx to destroy it in transit, or don’t want to be out of pocket for a long time.
All you have to do is:
1- Remove the receiver cover.
2- Remove the HDMI board.
3- Cover the HDMI board on aluminum foil with the exception of the 2 BGA chips.
4- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
5- Place HDMI board on cookie sheet and insert in oven.
6- Bake for 2 minutes.
7- Raise temperature to 385 degrees F.
8- Bake board for 8 minutes once 385 degrees F is reached.
9- Turn oven off, open door and DO NOT touch board.
10- Let board sit for 15 minutes.
11- Carefully remove aluminum foil and inspect board to ensure integrity.
12- Re-install.
13- Done!
This worked perfectly. The caps and all board materials are UL94V-0 compliant so there is no need to worry about doing this.
This is only intended as a guide for those with the skill to do this.

My HT-RC270 suffered the classic HDMI failure. Complete audio and video shutdown. Fortunate to get an old Outlaw Audio 1070 on the cheap to replace. Then saw oscarav098's post and thought why not. Followed instructions exactly (foil opened under BGA chips) and what do ya know! I'm back in business! Functions perfectly! smile.gif

Lets see how long holds up! Thanks oscarav098!
post #1695 of 1698 Old 06-04-2014, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I have two receivers to deliver for repair, one of which I'm sure is the so-popular HDMI board failure, this time in a TX-NR708 from 3 years ago. I've just e-mailed Onkyo asking if they'll fix it out of warranty like they've done for so many others. I anticipate a positive response to that.

Anyway, . . . no posts in this thread for months. Maybe we've all moved on to greener pastures, or has Onkyo finally fixed this problem for you guys with their latest crop of replacement HDMI boards?
post #1696 of 1698 Old 06-04-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs4000 View Post

Anyway, . . . no posts in this thread for months. Maybe we've all moved on to greener pastures, or has Onkyo finally fixed this problem for you guys with their latest crop of replacement HDMI boards?

well, I don't know bout that...

I WILL say that after my dhc 80.2 failed for the 3rd time, onkyo replaced it with a new refurb unit...complete with a new 2yr warranty. at this point in time I am satisfied with how onkyo handled my situation...

my confidence level regarding how long this unit will be trouble-free is another matter...
post #1697 of 1698 Old 06-20-2014, 05:46 AM

Replaced

I replaced my 808 with a Yamaha 2020 after second failure last fall. no confidence in Onkyo brand. I will say I received a quick turnaround from ABL authorized repair facility in Michigan.

Yamaha TX-A2020
Oppo BDP-103
Sony KDS-60 A3000 TV
Panasonic DMR ES10K DVD Recorder
Paradigm Series 7 Monitor 9 / Center 3/Surround 3
Elemental Design A3-300 Subwoofer
post #1698 of 1698 Old 08-27-2014, 06:17 AM

808 state

Repaired HDMI fault last Jan, 1 yr out of warranty. Onkyo paid for repair, i paid for shipping.
Then last month scrolling input issue occurs.

Opened up unit and there was big obvious corrosion salt deposits on the ribbon cable connector from the front panel, on the HDMI board end.

Can only think that the replacement board was not processed correctly. Inspecting it carefully it seemed as if only the connector was effected, not the rest of the board. 95 % of the salt deposit was on the connector.

Cleaned with IPA & tooth brush, socket & plug. Been working fine for the last week or so.

So would suspect some issue with the manufacturing or processing connector plug or socket.

So maybe fixable if you are happy with a screwdriver
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2334.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	231625  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Nr717 , Onkyo Tx Nr906 , Onkyo Brand , Onkyo Tx Nr414 , Onkyo Tx Nr515 , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Onkyo Tx Nr807 , Onkyo Ht Rc270 , Onkyo Tx Nr708 , Onkyo Tx Nr808 , Onkyo Tx Nr1008
Gear in this thread - Nr807 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page