The "OFFICIAL" Onkyo RC270, NR708,NR808, NR1008, NR5008, Integra 80.2 Failure Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 1697 Old 06-14-2011, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I got my receiver back in january.. I am here on the west coast. it just barely got warm. I live in a 2 story condo. its more warm upstairs then downstairs.

thanks again for sharing the info.

Jacob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 1697 Old 06-14-2011, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
1. Model
TX-NR808

2. Purchase Date or approximate date
Dec 2010

3. Place where purchased
I live in Australia and imported the unit from Hong Kong.

4. First symptom to appear
Unit does not respond to remote commands.
Unit does not respond to front panel input commands.
Unit cycles randomly and rapidly through input modes OR listening modes.
Unit does not respond to power button - must unplug to turn off

5. How long after purchase until first symptom appeared?
Early March 2011

6. Was the symptom consistent or intermittent?
Intermitted

7. Which symptom(s) (listed above) are you experiencing?
All of the above

8. If you have contacted Onkyo, and sent in your unit for repair, what where you told the problem is/was?
Not an option for me - sending the unit from Australia to Hong Kong and back would just cost too much.

9. If your unit was repaired did the problem come back, if so how long did it take to reappear?

In March and April the unit would work for about a day before I had to switch it off for a few hours and then it will work again for a day or two. From about May it started to work for longer periods (about a week). At the moment it's been working well for almost 3 weeks. All this said, the remote is totally unresponsive (from March), all operation is via the front panel.

The only thing that changed was that March, April was still summer (hot and humid) day temps of up to 104 F and now we're in winter with day temps up to about 65 F.

Reading some of the other comments, I would not be surprised if certain components are overheating due to either their location in the amp and or sub quality.
post #153 of 1697 Old 06-14-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

I would say there is a significant chance you might have an issue with it. Evidently the gel was used across the board. Recommend an extended warranty if still possible.

As a note to the general buying public, I would caution you against buying a 2010 Onkyo 708 and up without a warranty.

If this is truly the case, a class-action suit is in order if they don't do a preemptive recall.
post #154 of 1697 Old 06-14-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suby555 View Post

model: TX-NR808
purchased: 3/21/2011
Newegg
6/01/2011- Wont power off/on, stuck cycling through listening modes, wont respond to remote. No Video output (hdmi)
Unplugged for 5 minutes, powered on..unit came back.
Checked for firmware update and none were available
Started to watch a movie, from PC input. Within 20 minutes started to behave irradic again. (same issues)
Unplugged again for 5 minutes and did a full factory reset upon boot. Has been fine so far. Have about 16 hours of playing time since last issue.

Whats the chances this could just be a firmware issue?

For those who did receive there unit back..Can you post your firmware version..

This is not a FW issue, this is a HARDWARE issue...
post #155 of 1697 Old 06-14-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:

I am not going to disclose my source, but trust that it is from an authorized repair service center.

Evidently, the lack of response to an IR signal is not the problem, but really a symptom. The problem is intermittent to complete unresponsiveness/operation of the unit. The cause of the problem was a wire coupling and the gel they used for installation. This gel and/or bad part causes unwanted/improper conductivity, causing the receiver to go haywire. Most common symptoms are cycling of inputs and lack of response to IR commands. Other symptoms include randomly powering ON and OFF and general comatose operation.

i realize most of you already know this, but I can confirm the issue to be limited to three parts - evidently the wire coupling and at both ends where it attaches. Replacement parts were evidently scarce and some early repairs involved cleaning the connections thoroughly. Out of warranty repairs (including replacing the parts) would run roughly $100 to $200 depending upon the model. All 2010 models (708 and up) appear to be effected by this. Failure rate is higher than 5%, but real numbers are impossible for all but Onkyo to know. Onkyo is requesting that all defective parts be returned to them to be examined - evidently they are working diligently to determine the exact cause (ie the gel or the parts or combination) to determine if more action is needed.

At this point, Onkyo will only pay for the repair of defective units under warranty - they will not repair for preemptive repairs. I asked my contact whether I should worry about it with my Integra DTR50.2 and he said it's likely it will impact you at some point, hopefully within the warranty period.

I can informally confirm that this also impacts owners of the Integra DTR-40.2 and 50.2 (both have been repaired by my contact).

Evidently Onkyo corporate is working on this problem, but it seems they do not definitely know the culprit, hence why they are replacing all three components.

PM me if you want the name of an authorized service center that is knowledgeable in these repairs and at the forefront of addressing them. It might be worth the shipping costs to have the repairs done right.

Now it seems we're getting somewhere now...

I had mine repaired by local service center, been there for about 2 weeks. Seems to be working normally now. The technician said he replace 2 transistors (that's what he said, not sure if that's even valid ) . And he cleaned the data cable pins, and resoldered a board (which he doesn't want to divulge what board that is).

Anyway, it's been working flawlessly for a few days now. I'm just hoping that it will last.
post #156 of 1697 Old 06-14-2011, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post

If this is truly the case, a class-action suit is in order if they don't do a preemptive recall.

Candidly, a class action lawsuit is a waste of time. Onkyo is working to address the problem and is paying for any repairs under warranty. Since no one is outside of the two year warranty yet, everyone who purchased from an authorized dealer should have the issue remedied.

That said, issues like this are incredibly vexing for owners experiencing problems. Most CSRs are useless and disconnected from the real issue, which only aggravates the issue. I had this experience with the repeated PODs with my Marantz SR6004s. It took three or four nearly heated calls with Marantz CSRs to get the fact that it was not the wiring of my setup causing the units to fail.

I do not even think Onkyo is sure what the problem really is at this point. They are asking that all of the parts be sent to them for investigation. This is not being publicly communicated, which is crap PR on the part of Onkyo. With the earthquakes and tsunamis, I think we need to be a bit big picture about this.

I highly encourage anyone experiencing any the slightest symptom of irregular performance to bring your unit and insist that it be fixed per my description. If the parts are available, insist that they do not just clean off the gel.
post #157 of 1697 Old 06-14-2011, 10:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

i suspect alot of the issue is lack of enough solder boards and wires constant heat has likely de-soldered alot of things so re-termination is needed with alot more solder..

symptoms discussed sounds like loose wiring in the internals causing alot of failure issues, cutting cost's makes a bitch to fix..
post #158 of 1697 Old 06-15-2011, 12:04 AM

I own a NR1008 in Taiwan and have experienced the same issue. Got the product from a local shop which imports the receiver from the US.
I sent the unit back to the shop and they just have a Sony TV technician visiting. The technician said the ARC function may cause this problem. (I did use this back at home to hook up with my Sony NX810) The 1008 was running 3 days in their shop and no problem encountered. (luck?)
They sent 1008 back to me and suggest me to turn off ARC. So I did. 5 day pass and it's working well so far.

My question to all owners here is: has everyone turned on RIHD function and set the ARC to Auto?

If yes, can you try to disable ARC and see if the problem continues to happen?
If no, I guess my 1008 is going to go crazy at any time soon...
post #159 of 1697 Old 06-15-2011, 12:47 AM

It seems to me that those having problems (or at least those who reported) are the ones who have US units. I never heard complains about those were not purchased from US. Or is there???
post #160 of 1697 Old 06-15-2011, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post

It seems to me that those having problems (or at least those who reported) are the ones who have US units. I never heard complains about those were not purchased from US. Or is there???

Not So

I live in Sydney Australia, I imported a TX-NR808 from Hong Kong as these units are priced at a staggering $1,800- $2,500 AUD ( AUD is now stronger than USD) - I paid $1,200.00 AUD for my unit, the downside is no warranty furthermore the Hong Kong supplier removed the serial number( it is a cheap sticker a poor excuse for a serial number) prior to export-I must say that Onkyo needs to tidy up their serial numbers why not have electronic inscription of serial numbers it cannot be that hard .

I received my nr808 29/03/11 & all was good until 30/05/11 - 2 months after purchase it exhibited all the faults listed on this forum , non responsive remote unit locked up random cycling through inputs with dock appearing on the front screen.

I rung Onkyo Australia 2 weeks ago & was advised that they were aware of the fault & that at that stage 20 units came in for the modification.

The fix according to Onkyo Australia is the connectors required cleaning with acetate as acid residue was not removed completely during manufacture ( according to Onkyo the circuit boards go through an acid bath)

I privately paid for the connector cleaning & the unit has been working for the past 2 weeks.

Whether or not this explanation by Onkyo is true time will tell,at least I was given an explanation unlike the secrecy displayed by Onkyo USA good luck everyone with your units.

Thank your lucky stars that most of you paid $699 for the 808.
post #161 of 1697 Old 06-15-2011, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have a completely unsubstantiated theory that the heat of summer might have "melted" the gel causing the unwanted conductivity resulting in the failure. I can find no other good reason why so many issues have popped up in the last month.

Yes, Time, temperature and humidity has an effect on the disintegrating of some items. No reason to think otherwise for this gel problem. I wonder how long it will take for Onkyo to admit they have a problem. I think they should do a recall and do us right.

My NR5008 remote bought in Dec 2010 from Newegg has stopped responding to the remote. While it is in for repair, I will be shopping for a new AVR.
post #162 of 1697 Old 06-15-2011, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobydoo View Post

Yes, Time, temperature and humidity has an effect on the disintegrating of some items. No reason to think otherwise for this gel problem. I wonder how long it will take for Onkyo to admit they have a problem. I think they should do a recall and do us right.

My NR5008 remote bought in Dec 2010 from Newegg has stopped responding to the remote. While it is in for repair, I will be shopping for a new AVR.

I anticipate there will be a flood of 2010 Onkyos on ebay...
post #163 of 1697 Old 06-15-2011, 11:33 AM

I dropped off my NR808 to repair center two weeks ago. They just told me my receiver can not be fixed until SEPTEMBER!!!! Because the parts were on backorder ( two sockets and one plug). I'm totally pissed!! Called Onkyo the CSR told me they would call the repair center to find out what's going on and would call me back.
BTW, I paid $679 for this receiver from Amazon last Dec., they accept to take it back and give me full refund but I don't think I can buy a similar level replacement for that price in any soon. I really like my NR808 when it work but.........
This is my last time to do business with Onkyo!!!
post #164 of 1697 Old 06-15-2011, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It does make one ticked off, that is for sure. I know every company goes through things like this here and there, but why are companies not willing to say suck it up and say "We screwed up somewhere. May not know where yet, but we did screw up."Like I said, everyone screws up, and that's ok. What isn't ok is acting like they don't know anything. I really like Onkyo and Integra. I am in the process of getting a new AVR by Friday. Would like to get another Integra, but not with the latest happenings and lack of owning up to the mess up

Mitsubishi HC5500 Projector
Integra DTR-50.3 7.1 Receiver
Sony BDP-BX58 Blu-Ray
Jamo c807 Fronts
Jamo c80 cen Center
post #165 of 1697 Old 06-15-2011, 12:11 PM

Liked: 12
I'd like to know if--or when--this is going to affect any of the TX-NRxx09's. What are the chances Onkyo is using the same now-failing components in the new models?
Jim
post #166 of 1697 Old 06-15-2011, 01:52 PM

I'm happy to say that after a second email to Vanns (I got a canned "you are outside the 30 day return window, please contact Onkyo for service" in response to my first email), Vanns agreed to give me a full refund if I return it with the original packaging. (Restocking fee if I am missing anything, which seems fair to me)

Oh, and they are paying for return shipping, so that is nice too.

Now I gotta research a higher quality replacement.
post #167 of 1697 Old 06-15-2011, 02:14 PM

What other processor would you pair up a couple of Krell's with?? Anthem? Rotel?Denon??????
post #168 of 1697 Old 06-15-2011, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morik View Post

I'm happy to say that after a second email to Vanns (I got a canned "you are outside the 30 day return window, please contact Onkyo for service" in response to my first email), Vanns agreed to give me a full refund if I return it with the original packaging. (Restocking fee if I am missing anything, which seems fair to me)

Good on Vanns.
post #169 of 1697 Old 06-15-2011, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by opaleski View Post

What other processor would you pair up a couple of Krell's with?? Anthem? Rotel?Denon??????

Personally I would go with either the Classe SSP-800 or the ADA Cinema Rhapsody Mach IV if you wanted to go high end. ADA also makes a less expensive Suite 7.1 which does away with a lot of inputs for a simpler system but it is said to have the same SQ.

For about 4 times or more the retail cost of either a Onkyo 5508 or Integra 80.2 it is up to you if it's worth it though. I know the Classe has had it's issues, not sure about ADA but there a quality company and make great sounding pre-pro's that I have owned in the past. I have never had a problem with an ADA pre-pro and I have owned 4 of them over the years, great products but I have never had the latest.

I am sure you can find issues with just about any pre-pro made today if you search around the AVS long enough. For every 1 complaint there are probably 100 who don't so take that into consideration.

The Integra's come with a period of time were there are no questions asked replacement if you have a problem. I am not sure what that time frame was but I think it the first 60 days? From there you have a 2 year warranty.

I personally am not too concerned about my Onkyo 5508 (knock on wood) but I have had very expensive pre-pro's that have had to have a lot of repairs so it's not like your immune from problems if you spend over $5K.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #170 of 1697 Old 06-15-2011, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post

Personally I would go with either the Classe SSP-800 or the ADA Cinema Rhapsody Mach IV if you wanted to go high end. ADA also makes a less expensive Suite 7.1 which does away with a lot of inputs for a simpler system but it is said to have the same SQ.

For about 4 times or more the retail cost of either a Onkyo 5508 or Integra 80.2 it is up to you if it's worth it though. I know the Classe has had it's issues, not sure about ADA but there a quality company and make great sounding pre-pro's that I have owned in the past. I have never had a problem with an ADA pre-pro and I have owned 4 of them over the years, great products but I have never had the latest.

I am sure you can find issues with just about any pre-pro made today if you search around the AVS long enough. For every 1 complaint there are probably 100 who don't so take that into consideration.

The Integra's come with a period of time were there are no questions asked replacement if you have a problem. I am not sure what that time frame was but I think it the first 60 days? From there you have a 2 year warranty.

I personally am not too concerned about my Onkyo 5508 (knock on wood) but I have had very expensive pre-pro's that have had to have a lot of repairs so it's not like your immune from problems if you spend over $5K.

Integra has a 3 year warranty.

I would work with a local dealer and explain the situation and confirm that the unit will be replaced in the event it suffers this issue. Put the ball in his/integra's court.
post #171 of 1697 Old 06-15-2011, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wouldtoo View Post

It does make one ticked off, that is for sure. I know every company goes through things like this here and there, but why are companies not willing to say suck it up and say "We screwed up somewhere. May not know where yet, but we did screw up."Like I said, everyone screws up, and that's ok. What isn't ok is acting like they don't know anything. I really like Onkyo and Integra. I am in the process of getting a new AVR by Friday. Would like to get another Integra, but not with the latest happenings and lack of owning up to the mess up

None of the CEs own up. Look at Panasonic and rising black levels, Denon and Network Cards, and Onkyo and the killer gel.
post #172 of 1697 Old 06-15-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:

None of the CEs own up. Look at Panasonic and rising black levels, Denon and Network Cards, and Onkyo and the killer gel.

Exactly. Sad but true. Honesty doesn't seem to pay off in the end. All companies have things happen. It's just Onkyo's turn now. Yep, Denon has had its days, too. Things are not built like they once were. Seems like a true life cycle is but into a product so it will break down haha. All to get the consumer to but again.

Mitsubishi HC5500 Projector
Integra DTR-50.3 7.1 Receiver
Sony BDP-BX58 Blu-Ray
Jamo c807 Fronts
Jamo c80 cen Center
post #173 of 1697 Old 06-15-2011, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morik View Post

Glad to see Vanns came through for you.

I had a Marantz AV7005 for a couple of months and it worked flawlessly. I think sound quality wise the Onkyo/Integra's are much better for movies but the Marantz is a very competent music performer. I liked the Marantz better than the Denon 4311 I also tried in pre-pro mode.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #174 of 1697 Old 06-15-2011, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Integra has a 3 year warranty.

Even better, thanks for clearing that up.

Quote:

I would work with a local dealer and explain the situation and confirm that the unit will be replaced in the event it suffers this issue. Put the ball in his/integra's court.

Good advice. You could even have him put the replacement conditions in the receipt.

post #175 of 1697 Old 06-15-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobydoo View Post

...While it is in for repair, I will be shopping for a new AVR.

My Integra DHC 80.2 is currently being repaired and I couldn't wait any longer. As a result, I purchased a Denon AVR-4311 and absolutely love it. I highly recommend it if you can find one in stock. I'll be selling my Integra when I get it back, otherwise it will become a rather large and expensive paper weight.
post #176 of 1697 Old 06-15-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaleski View Post

What are your needs? XT32 and 11.2 lead me to the Denon AVR-4311. If neither entice you, you have a lot more options. I'm running it strictly as a pre-amp.
post #177 of 1697 Old 06-15-2011, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

hey guys lets try to stay on topic here. If you have a specific question about what reciever is best for your setup please create a new thread.
post #178 of 1697 Old 06-15-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpimpin View Post

What are your needs? XT32 and 11.2 lead me to the Denon AVR-4311. If neither entice you, you have a lot more options. I'm running it strictly as a pre-amp.

I need to be able to Listen to true Stereo with one amp and 5.1 when the other amp is on. I have a 20 foot x 20 foot HTR-Sound room. I use Klipsch Belle's for front speakers---http://www.klipsch.com/belle-klipschfloorstanding-speaker
post #179 of 1697 Old 06-15-2011, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:

PM me if you want the name of an authorized service center that is knowledgeable in these repairs and at the forefront of addressing them. It might be worth the shipping costs to have the repairs done right.

PM sent. Appreciate the help in advance!
post #180 of 1697 Old 06-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldiablos View Post

I don't think so much it is "whining over SHIPPING", it is people are frustrated that they plump a bunch of money and the things don't even last 30 days before they have real problems. It is sort of like being kicked in the nuts and then after that, you get spit on.

umph

---------------------------------------
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Nr717 , Onkyo Tx Nr906 , Onkyo Brand , Onkyo Tx Nr414 , Onkyo Tx Nr515 , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Onkyo Tx Nr807 , Onkyo Ht Rc270 , Onkyo Tx Nr708 , Onkyo Tx Nr808 , Onkyo Tx Nr1008
Gear in this thread - Nr807 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page