Looking for a reciver with particular specs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-03-2011, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone,
I was a member of AVS about 7 years ago, back when I bought most of my equipment. I have been out of the loop in the AV world for the last few years but I find myself with the need to upgrade some items- up first is my receiver.

I have a few elements that are important to me when looking for a new receiver and could use some advice on what options are out there that fit these needs.

Must Have:
--Preamp Audio Out: I have nice self power mackie studio monitors that I'm gonna use as my new L/R channels.
-- Full 1080p-compatible HDMI digital video switching: ideally I can have 1 HDMI out to my monitor from any video input.
--Less then $600

Bonus:
--2 Zone: If I can drive 2 speakers in my kitchen with this unit that would be ideal
--DVI out: My old Sony XBR800 tube is still alive and kicking, if I had DVI out that would be nice, but I can also just use an HDMI to DVI cable to get video out. Not sure if they even make receivers with DVI out anymore!
--I actually only really need 5.1- anything more then that is fine, but not critical
--Less then $400

I don't have a huge budget but I don't need to go dirt cheap either. Audio quality is very important but I don't have the funds to go too crazy.

So I've been looking at the Marantz SR5005 AV Receiver. It seems to fit my needs and I can find it around $499. Is there something else I should look into?

Thanks so much for your help everyone- feels good to get back to the AV world after some time off!
-Chuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-03-2011, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Give the NAD T747 a serious look also. Excellent AVR on sale for over $700 off MSRP.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-03-2011, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcarusChuck View Post

Hey everyone,
I was a member of AVS about 7 years ago, back when I bought most of my equipment. I have been out of the loop in the AV world for the last few years but I find myself with the need to upgrade some items- up first is my receiver.

I have a few elements that are important to me when looking for a new receiver and could use some advice on what options are out there that fit these needs.

Must Have:
--Preamp Audio Out: I have nice self power mackie studio monitors that I'm gonna use as my new L/R channels.
-- Full 1080p-compatible HDMI digital video switching: ideally I can have 1 HDMI out to my monitor from any video input.
--Less then $600

Bonus:
--2 Zone: If I can drive 2 speakers in my kitchen with this unit that would be ideal
--DVI out: My old Sony XBR800 tube is still alive and kicking, if I had DVI out that would be nice, but I can also just use an HDMI to DVI cable to get video out. Not sure if they even make receivers with DVI out anymore!
--I actually only really need 5.1- anything more then that is fine, but not critical
--Less then $400

I don't have a huge budget but I don't need to go dirt cheap either. Audio quality is very important but I don't have the funds to go too crazy.

So I've been looking at the Marantz SR5005 AV Receiver. It seems to fit my needs and I can find it around $499. Is there something else I should look into?

Thanks so much for your help everyone- feels good to get back to the AV world after some time off!
-Chuck

The only thing I'm not seeing as possible is the DVI connector; they're not really done anymore (if you're okay buying used, you can find a number of models that do support DVI alongside everything else).

I would suggest looking at the Yamaha RX-V667 (and higher models), and the new HK's (either the AVR2600 or the 3600, I forget if the 2600 has pre-outs; I know the 3600 does). This is in addition to your Marantz. You might also consider the Emotiva UMC-1, which is a straight pre-amplifier (but that would still work with your active speakers).
post #4 of 5 Old 06-03-2011, 11:43 PM

Liked: 10
Pretty much "everybody's $600 receiver" is going to have pre-outs and HDMI upconversion(what you call the feature for your 2nd pre-req of "ideally I can have 1 HDMI out to my monitor from any video input")

Just keep in mind, at $600, 2nd zone is analog only, so your HDMI/Dig-coax/Tos-link sources will also have to connected with a good old reliable red/white RCA as well.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-04-2011, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
You may want to look into these as well as it may fit the reccomendations that you have listed...

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR708...189451&sr=1-12
or
http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-2311...7189609&sr=1-2
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page