Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-09-2011, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
UPDATE: Went with the Denon AVR-3312CI

The time has come (or will be soon enough) to finally upgrade my existing receiver, so I figured this was the place to haunt for a while.

My existing setup consists of an Onkyo TX-SR705 using only the pre outs in a 7 channel config with Emotiva XPA-5 and UPA-2 amps. The amps are powering a Triad speaker setup; three InWall Silver/6 LCRs, two OnWall Silver Surrounds, and two InRoom Gold Omnis for the 2 rear channels. Subwoofers are dual Epik Empires connected to an Anti-Mode 8033s subwoofer equalizer. Video is handled by a Panasonic PT-AE4000 projector on 120 wide 2.40 to 1 AT screen. The room is 12'-6 X 22'-6 with a ceiling height of 7'-4.

Basic Requirements:
--- Minimum 4 HDMI inputs, more would be nice
--- 7.1 capabilities (don't need highs or wides)
--- All 7 channels available as Pre Outs for connection to separate amps
--- No 3D necessary, even though it's become pretty standard
--- DC and IR triggers

Budget is pretty wide at the moment, I'll say roughly $1,000 with some wiggle room in either direction. What I've been eyeballing lately, in no particular order:
--- Marantz AV7005
--- Integra DHC-40.2
--- Pioneer Elite VSX-52
--- Denon AVR-3312CI
--- Yamaha RX-A1000

I think I'm having serious calibration overloadAudyssey/MCACC/YPAOI'm probably worrying way too much about these since they all attempt to do the same thing, definitely not looking to start any flame wars here.

Sopositives, negatives, other options? I'm open to any recommendations at this point since it'll probably be a month or so before I make a final decision (plus, I don't think the Pio is even out until mid-summer). Thanks in advance!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-09-2011, 08:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

of what you listed, the 3312... even better, a close out 3311...

the av7005 is out of your price range, unfortunately...

flame wars aside, i've used both audyssey and mcacc extensively, and my "preference" is for audyssey, if for no other reason for the work it does on the sub (note, i used a 8033 too)...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #3 of 8 Old 06-09-2011, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for chiming in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

of what you listed, the 3312... even better, a close out 3311...

the av7005 is out of your price range, unfortunately...

As far as the AV7005 is concerned, I'm willing to balloon the budget up a bit if it's really that fantastic, so it's not completely out of the picture just yet.

The 3311 looks like it would do nicely as well, why would that be "even better" in your opinion? There is actually a price drop between the 3311 and newer 3312...I can't tell from the specs, but do you happen to know why that is? I see an extra HDMI on the 3312, and a bunch of newer certifications (don't care too much).

EDIT: Discrepancy about Audyssey versions removed.

post #4 of 8 Old 06-09-2011, 09:21 AM

Just a suggestion, if you'll accept used...

Integra(and their Onkyo PR-SC counterparts) DTC 9.8/9.9 and the prior DHC 40.1.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-09-2011, 09:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

because when you actually go to buy it, the 3311 will cost less...

i loved, not liked, loved my av7005... but you can buy a 3311 for less than half the price (not to mention the fact that av7005's are basically unavailable right now, and have been in short supply since day 1)...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #6 of 8 Old 06-09-2011, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

OK, so much for waiting a month (damn my impulsiveless...)

I'm now the proud owner of the Denon 3312CI. Or at least, the order has been made, probably won't see it for another week or 2.

Cruising the Denon XX12 models thread, and started seeing discount pricing that will only be available for the next week or so on the new Denon models before the MSRP goes up. I'm not one to turn down a good deal, so off to the races I went. Shopping around and haggling a bit, I was able to get the 3312 for $760 + free shipping, not too shabby. I actually tried getting the 3311 model first, but everyone I called was already out of stock on that one, go figure.

This should be a great upgrade to my existing system, I'm pretty pumped to try out this version of Audyssey in my theater and see how the Denon performs against my older Onkyo.

Thanks for the on-the-spot help guys.

One last question for you (ccotenj) though...you mentioned that you still use Audyssey in addition to your AntiMode 8033. Just running through the User's Manual, it states that you can run auto-calibration on your AVR after you've already calibrated your sub(s) with the 8033. Is this the same order you did yours in?

post #7 of 8 Old 06-09-2011, 12:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

congratulations!!! a good choice, imo.

it's nice to see i'm not the only person afflicted with "gotta have it now" disease...

yup. antimode setup first... then audyssey...

try it with both the antimode and without... it's possible that you will get better results removing the antimode entirely... i didn't, both subjectively (ears) or objectively (microphone)... but i know that others have had different results...

i'm now using xt32 without 8033... subjectively, it's better that way, but i need to do some measuring...

edit: doesn't have to be the last question... you are allowed to ask a few more...

- chris

post #8 of 8 Old 06-09-2011, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

it's nice to see i'm not the only person afflicted with "gotta have it now" disease...

Yeah, normally I can show a decent amount of self control...if it's electronic and fits in my theater though, all bets are off.

Thanks for the tips, I'm sure I'll be using them plenty over the next few weeks. Recently picked up a calibrated mic and other assorted goodies for REW as well, so I'll be doing some subjective and objective testing of my own.

Thanks again!

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page