Benefits of Video Upscaling to 4K with Qdeo™ Technology ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-09-2011, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I see this advertised on the new Onkyo (and other) receivers and am trying to understand how 4K upscaling benefits 1080P displays. Does one need a 4K display? Is it worth stepping up to a receiver with this ability? TIA...

John

"What happens in Vegas..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-09-2011, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Robert View Post

I see this advertised on the new Onkyo (and other) receivers and am trying to understand how 4K upscaling benefits 1080P displays. Is it worth stepping up to a receiver with this ability? TIA...

John

Depends on what you consider "worth it". Being that there are no 4K tvs and there won't be any widely available for a while, I would say it's mostly marketing hype.

Most people have a hard time distinguishing 720p and 1080p pictures that are under 50 or so inches so I would think you would need a pretty big tv to see a justifiable difference if it did do 4K.I imagine that would cost quite a bit and those type of people that could afford it would probably be looking at something higher end than Onkyo.
I guess you could look at it as future proofing but it seems that the onkyo threads are filled with people having issues with video as well. Again, all of this is IMHO
post #3 of 5 Old 06-09-2011, 11:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 99
First rule in video resolution... (IMO)

You CANNOT, under any circumstances, restore missing detail. Which is why smaller displays sometimes look so amazing. And why when you scale SDTV from cable that's not that great to begin with, it looks like s**t.

Which implies, in my mind, it's all marketing to talk about 4k displays.

Now if we can get a video game with high resolution textures meant for large TVs with high resolutions like 4k, hardware to output it, and the TV to go with it, I am sold. Because in that case, you can probably see the welds in the links in the chain mail in fantasy games

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #4 of 5 Old 06-09-2011, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks guys. You answered my question as whether this was useful with current 1080P displays. I thought it was more similar to audio upsampling where the (supposed) benefits could by enjoyed through my existing equipment.

Although I guess I could trade up from my Mits HC7000 to this:

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/f...l_id=MDL101894

John

"What happens in Vegas..."
post #5 of 5 Old 06-09-2011, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
You could, and if you were playing a video game with a graphics card that supported it, you may see a difference. Other wise, your picture is only going to be as good as the source. They better not change from Blu ray any time soon. 1080P and $20 bucks a movie is enough for me.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page