Old 07-16-2011, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperxr69 View Post
Got an RMA last Friday and it was sent back to Newegg this morning. Now to wait.... Going back to my old AVR is a bummer. The audio AND the video was markedly better running through the 875. for the next one.
Well I received my 2nd 867 yesterday and at least the display is OK this time. But for the life of me I cannot the networking going at all. Arggg....

I see the MAC of the receiver on my router and I have a reservation set for it and I have changed the IP address to manual in the setting for the receiver but still no joy....

Any tips??? One of the main reasons I got this was supply Rhapsody content to my home theater...

username should now be "ThumperYZ69"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2011, 08:37 AM

Is it getting an IP address? Can you see one on the on screen information display?
Old 07-17-2011, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I just noticed that internet radio stations do not disconnect when you turn the receiver off. I was wondering how it was connecting so quickly. Changing inputs does not disconnect either. To make it disconnect you have to change the net input to something other than net radio.

I was connected to groove salad for over 2,000 minutes! This is pretty strange behavior and not great for the stations that pay by the minute for streaming.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBee View Post

I bought my 867 on Newegg like a lot of you, but I've run into an issue where the firmware won't update. It progresses until it says "S1-10: 100%", and there it stays.

When it first happened, I called Yamaha after seeing it sit there for about 1 hour. The tier-1 tech suggested that I restart and retry it. I did, same error. This time I just let it sit there for the day, but it didn't budge.

I've put in a ticket with Yamaha, but the tech who called me today gave me the lame answer of "No, I've never heard of that. It works fine when we do it here!" Ugh & this was a tier 2 person (he says there are 5 of them there, so not a deep talent pool at Yamaha's helpdesk).

His only other suggestion is that I try it on a different network in case it is something about my router that is interfering. I asked if there were an alternate way to install the firmware, but he says no. I find that odd, because if you go to their site and download the firmware, it comes with a 21mb .bin file. Of course, the instructions that come along with it say to update via the internet, but the inclusion of the .bin file is interesting.

Anyway, I'm off to try it on another network as suggested, but does anyone have any ideas? I'm going to put in for an RMA at Newegg tonight regardless (assuming the "other network" method fails).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBee View Post

Man, no dice on another network. Hangs, same spot. Moving forward assuming the unit is detective. Any advice on getting Newegg to waive return shipping costs?

Hmmm … This is just a wild guess but I'm wondering if you could update the 867 firmware using the 667 process? As you mentioned you can download the RX-V867 Firmware via the Yamaha website. Makes you wonder why they have it in a downloadable file if you are only supposed to do the update via the internet. That said, I don't recall any forum members saying they updated their 867 update via CD. Who knows, it might be worth a shot if your contemplating sending the unit back.

If you are not familiar with the 667 process… you simply go to the Yamaha website and download the firmware. The downloaded firmware is then burned to a CD. The files must be burned as an audio CD (Do not burn or create the CD and a data file). You also have to make sure your burning software does not modify the data in any way i.e., no "volume leveling" or other options. Check for nay options and turn them off).

You can use several CD burning software programs like Nero to burn the CD. NOTE: Conventional CD burning software is recommended. An audio CD burned by Windows Media Player may not work. Also… some DVD players use digital filters, which affects the output signal of the devices. The firmware update will not work with DVD players which use these digital filters. CD players usually do not use these filters, so using a CD player is preferred.

Last, you will need to have a CD/DVD player attached to your 867. The CD/DVD player must be connected to your 867 via an optical or digital coax connection, you cannot use an HDMI connection. NOTE: The older CD/DVD players work best. Many of the newer BD players won't work. If applicable, make sure that the audio output of the DVD/CD player is set to PCM. Then, put in the disc and hit play. The update takes about 15 minutes.

At least that's how you do it on a 667.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamaven View Post

Is it getting an IP address? Can you see one on the on screen information display?

Which screen are you talking about??? On the Information/Network screen it shows the static address I put in since I have a DHCP reservation for it. I do have PnP enabled on my Dlink 655 router.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:07 AM

I am in the same situation as you Thumper. Reciever will not recognize my network. I am now thinking about rolling the dice on a rma and see what I get with a new reciever.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

can you guys ping the receiver from a computer? If so, try going to the receiver's website.

I assume you've tried rebooting the router.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:

Which screen are you talking about??? On the Information/Network screen it shows the static address I put in since I have a DHCP reservation for it. I do have PnP enabled on my Dlink 655 router.

On-Screen > Information > Network

If you did a static address, make sure you put in a gateway address, that the subnet mask is set to 255.255.255.0 and the first 3 octets (like 192.168.0 or 192.168.1) are set the same as the rest of your network. You can usually use the same DNS server as your gateway address if you are using a router.

Also, what is the "status" on this screen". Mine is showing 100BASE-TX Full Duplex as that is the maximum it can negotiate to with my network.

Also, you might want to double check network cables and ports to make sure those are working. I've seen such simple things like that cause me a lot of frustration in the past.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

On-Screen > Information > Network

If you did a static address, make sure you put in a gateway address, that the subnet mask is set to 255.255.255.0 and the first 3 octets (like 192.168.0 or 192.168.1) are set the same as the rest of your network. You can usually use the same DNS server as your gateway address if you are using a router.

Also, what is the "status" on this screen". Mine is showing 100BASE-TX Full Duplex as that is the maximum it can negotiate to with my network.

Also, you might want to double check network cables and ports to make sure those are working. I've seen such simple things like that cause me a lot of frustration in the past.

Yep..I have verified this screen. I even took my cable out of the receiver and plugged into a laptop and I was able to get an IP using this cable. Argg.... (the sad thing is I do this for a living)

Old 07-17-2011, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yep..I have verified this screen. I even took my cable out of the receiver and plugged into a laptop and I was able to get an IP using this cable. Argg.... (the sad thing is I do this for a living)

Yeah, you're not the only it guy here. Can you ping it? If you want help, answer the questions posed...
Old 07-17-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

I just noticed that internet radio stations do not disconnect when you turn the receiver off. I was wondering how it was connecting so quickly. Changing inputs does not disconnect either. To make it disconnect you have to change the net input to something other than net radio.

I was connected to groove salad for over 2,000 minutes! This is pretty strange behavior and not great for the stations that pay by the minute for streaming.

You can also push the stop button on the remote...it will stop any channel your connected too. Its in the silver area about 2/3-3/4 down on the remote. I hoped I helped with my first post!!

So far I love the reciever...and I purchased it by first reading the 667 thread and then this thread...and getting sent to newegg...thru the recommendations from here...THANKS to EVERYONE!!

dave
Old 07-18-2011, 10:37 AM

found this deal on a refurbished 867
what ya'll think? seems decent to me....

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...p?EdpNo=785590
Old 07-18-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton Noway View Post

Hmmm This is just a wild guess but I'm wondering if you could update the 867 firmware using the 667 process? As you mentioned you can download the firmware via the Yamaha website. Makes you wonder why they have it in a downloadable file if you are only supposed to do the update via the internet.

Looks like it won't work. The 667 method expects a .wav file & the firmware for the 867 came as a .bin file.

One decent thing that happened was that Yamaha sent me a feedback form, so I was at least able to gripe about the seeming disinterest and lack of experience their support staff had in a unit with a busted firmware updated process. Lemonade?

Here's to hoping my RMA'd receiver will perform flawlessly.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed4000 View Post

In years past, Yamaha always stated that the ONLY authorized source for B-stock hardware is Yamaha itself. This appears to have been relaxed a bit. Here's the latest reference I could find:

Quote:

Last Update: 03/03/2011
A-STOCK:
Yamaha products that are new are considered A-Stock which means that they have never been used and are factory fresh. A-Stock units have the full Yamaha manufactures warranty as long as they are purchased from an Authorized Yamaha Dealer.
B-STOCK:
Yamaha will occasionally sell B-Stock items which may have been opened and used for demonstration purposes, photo shoots, refurbished, etc. and may have minor (if any) cosmetic damage. They will have a sticker over the serial number and on the outside packaging stating B-Stock. B-Stock units have HALF the normal Yamaha manufactures warranty as long as they are purchased from an Authorized Yamaha Dealer.
C-STOCK:
Yamaha will occasionally sell C-Stock items which may have visible cosmetic damage and are not normally sold to consumers. They will have a sticker over the serial number and on the outside packaging stating C-Stock. C-Stock units come with a 120 day warranty.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

Yeah, you're not the only it guy here. Can you ping it? If you want help, answer the questions posed...

Yes the status reads "100BASE-TX Full Duplex".... I pinged it and I did receive one packet out of 4 as successfull if that isnt as confusing as he!!.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:

Personally... I don't think its that great of a deal. (decent... but not great) After all... why buy a refurbished unit ...when for only $31 dollars more ....you can get one Brand New from Newegg with no worries about B Stock or warranty issues. As long as there are still new 867's in the retail channel being moved at clearance prices I wouldn't consider paying a similar price to get a refurb.

Granted... Newegg isn't running the $430 with free shipping right at this moment... but they will...(as discussed in this earlier thread).
Just wait a couple days.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton Noway View Post

Personally... I don't think its that great of a deal. (decent... but not great) After all... why buy a refurbished unit ...when for only $31 dollars more ....you can get one Brand New from Newegg with no worries about B Stock or warranty issues. As long as there are still new 867's in the retail channel being moved at clearance prices I wouldn't consider paying a similar price to get a refurb.

There are a couple issues with that TigerDirect deal. 1st, the official Yamaha definition of "b-stock" doesn't seem to apply to a "refurbished" item. So there's some question not only of a warranty but of just what they are selling. IMO the price should be significantly lower. Also TigerDirect is claiming a 2-yr warranty, which conflicts with Yamaha's B-Stock Warranty
Old 07-18-2011, 01:23 PM

I'm wondering if this might be a new unit and the refurbished designation is a mistake. There is another misprint in the video features section that lists:
Video Features

1080p-compatible HDMI (4 in/1 out)
and warranty is same as new (I think).. so maybe a new unit?
Old 07-18-2011, 01:49 PM

Just called tigerdirect. All other yamaha refurb units they sell have only a 90 day warranty, and a lot more big red letter statements about buying refurbs etc. Rep confirmed it was refurb, but that it did come with full 2 year manufacturer warranty, but had no idea why it did when others didn't. he sounded pretty confident.....this is weird...
Old 07-18-2011, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Just called tigerdirect. All other yamaha refurb units they sell have only a 90 day warranty, and a lot more big red letter statements about buying refurbs etc. Rep confirmed it was refurb, but that it did come with full 2 year manufacturer warranty, but had no idea why it did when others didn't. he sounded pretty confident.....this is weird...

Yamaha does not offer 2-yr warranties on B-stock, except for the flagship models of which this is not one.

I think the better question is: Why deal with this at all? You can get a nice NEW unit in the same price ballpark.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

i think the better question is: Why deal with this at all? You can get a nice new unit in the same price ballpark.

+1
Old 07-18-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:

Yes the status reads "100BASE-TX Full Duplex".... I pinged it and I did receive one packet out of 4 as successfull if that isnt as confusing as he!!.

Can you isolate the receiver and PC with a separate networking switch? Usually when I see that behavior its multipath routing getting messed up or a black hole event in a piece of the networking equipment (usually a switch plugged into itself).

But yeah, that would drive me nuts.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Can you isolate the receiver and PC with a separate networking switch? Usually when I see that behavior its multipath routing getting messed up or a black hole event in a piece of the networking equipment (usually a switch plugged into itself).

But yeah, that would drive me nuts.

Thanks for everyone's tips!!!

Weird....

C:\\Users\\bstaber>ping 192.168.0.198

Pinging 192.168.0.198 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Reply from 192.168.0.198: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

I swapped out the cable and it seems fine now. I had already plugged it into another PC with no problem. I guess the 867 "NIC" is more sensitive.

Kick a55....

Old 07-19-2011, 09:32 AM

I still can't get mine hooked up to a network after reading all these post.

My DHCP setting will automatically turn itself off by default after you turn it on. I called yamaha tech and was told that it is set to on by default and that something must be wrong with reciever if it keeps switching itself off, even after doing a main reset.

Guess I will rma it an see what happens.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:02 PM

Liked: 14
I weish I could help on the network issue. I bought the RX-V671, connected the Cat5 cable from the Netgear 8-port switch and within a few minutes detected a new firmware update, DL'd that and then tried MP3's thru WMP and played fine. I didn't have to go into setup and do anything in the menu. I've got AT&T Uverse with the Netgear switch in the rec room.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:34 PM

Just moved into a new house and have my 867 set up - have yet to barely scratch the surface of what's possible, but loving it so far.

One thing though, I can see my mp3's on my PC, but out of the 20 or so I tried to play only 1 played... Kind of annoying. I see where Yamaha has a blanket "not all audio formats are supported, and even some mp3s might not play..." but no indication of what parameters might keep songs from playing. Is it bitrate? some kind of DRM? some other codec compatibility issue? Does anyone have any advice on how to get your music library to play?
Old 07-19-2011, 09:57 PM

Just updated to this decade...
Old: Circa 2001 RX-V1200
New: RX-V867

Couldn't be happier! Wife's a Pandora nut, so when she was able to log in and start playing her stations I think she may have O'd =)

I'm really impressed with the sound quality improvements AND being able to interconnect all my HDMI inputs. Setup was a breeze, firmware update was a breeze, and I'm a happy camper!
...now my entire sound/video components are under 2yrs old, and I'm back to updating my wish list.

The 1200 finally bit the dust when we moved 1800mi. I told the movers I'd welcome a dropped box marked 'receiver' and I guess they complied with my wishes. Sniff sniff...NOT.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:12 PM

I really don't have a good way to add presence speakers in the recommended locations in my setup. I could add a couple of small speakers slightly above the mains, or between the mains and the center. I know this does not fit the concept, and one of the purposes of dialogue lift is to move it up to the screen area. Would there be any benefit though as far as dialogue enhancement from adding speakers in these other locations with dialogue lift? I am considering an upgrade to the rx-v867 but I have a Pioneer now that has a dialogue enhancement feature which makes a big difference in movies.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Is it possible to turn off unused connections so they are skipped when selecting input from the receiver or remote? Like Rhapsody, Sirrius, AV-1, etc...which I do not use?
Old 07-20-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoram View Post
Just moved into a new house and have my 867 set up - have yet to barely scratch the surface of what's possible, but loving it so far.

One thing though, I can see my mp3's on my PC, but out of the 20 or so I tried to play only 1 played... Kind of annoying. I see where Yamaha has a blanket "not all audio formats are supported, and even some mp3s might not play..." but no indication of what parameters might keep songs from playing. Is it bitrate? some kind of DRM? some other codec compatibility issue? Does anyone have any advice on how to get your music library to play?
Responding to my own question: somehow this got cleared up. Not sure how exactly; the only thing that changed from the time it didn't work til now was I tried to get DSBridge set up to stream spotify to the receiver as a vTuner station. That didn't work, but afterwards, just for the heck of it, I tried playing some mp3s from my PC and ones that didn't work before were now working.

Tags
Yamaha Rx V867 Receiver