post #361 of 1198 Old 08-05-2011, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

Am I the only one using height speakers? Traditional 7.1 does not work in most rooms. I sit too close to the back wall. I did try to use it with a pioneer and nothing came out of the backs. I could not find a setting to get them active. I switched to height and did the same with the Yamaha.

I like the height speakers, it makes a good system better. Supposedly we are more attenuated to sounds from in front of us, that's why the 9.1 and higher have more speakers up front.

The moral to the story is stereo is good, 3.1 is better, 5.1 better yet, 7.1 (unless something is mastered for it) gets into dubious returns.

That's just my experience.

Greg

Greg,

I tend to strongly agree with what you've stated here. The suppositions regarding what impacts human hearing/perceptions is also something the engineers/wizards started from as they began work in the presence/"Z"/"W" realms for one-wall. Likely quite valid.
My only problem with Yamaha Presense function is how much money to spend on Presence speakers!!
Not kidding, really. As a percent of audio "oomph" into a room, movies or music, I cannot help but think that presence spkrs get very little work. Does that make it more sensible to spend less on dinky micro-satellites as they'll be getting amperage seldom and at low numbers? Or, is it a better out-come to put the kind of high quality bookshelf that you would have used for a 2.0 or 3.1 "audiophile set-up? And thus get the best of what the presence/"Y"/or "W"hatever is going on your front wall supplement channel?
And just a reality check... sure as all get-out, if I A-B $120/pr used Paradigm Atoms as presence VS 25/pr "satellites" both found on CL, I'll justify spending 3-times the money because "they just sound better". The trick is how much better. Emotionally, it'll make sense.
Grrr. This hobby frustrates me. I can't even trust my own rationale for a decision like that. sheeesh!

Oh well, I'll keep trying different approaches.

Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1198 Old 08-05-2011, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

Am I the only one using height speakers?

All three of my Yamaha RX-V6xx AVR based home systems [2x RX-V667 + 1x HTR-5860] include Front Presence speakers: I've had pairs of Harman/EPi Wall Plane speakers in place on two systems since the early 1990s, and when I built a third system using Polk R15 bookshelf speakers for surrounds/backs in 2005, I used an additional pair of R15s for the Front Presence speakers. The results obtained from using Yamaha DSP with Front Presence speakers in place are very dependent on the source material, and apparently not to everyone's tastes, but I'm glad I have them installed.

[Very readable 'background' post posted on another forum.]

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #363 of 1198 Old 08-05-2011, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex View Post

All three of my Yamaha RX-V6xx AVR based home systems [2x RX-V667 + 1x HTR-5860] include Front Presence speakers: I've had pairs of Harman/EPi Wall Plane speakers in place on two systems since the early 1990s, and when I built a third system using Polk R15 bookshelf speakers for surrounds/backs in 2005, I used an additional pair of R15s for the Front Presence speakers. The results obtained from using Yamaha DSP with Front Presence speakers in place are very dependent on the source material, and apparently not to everyone's tastes, but I'm glad I have them installed.

[Very readable 'background' post posted on another forum.]

SoundChex,

Very good link regards Yamaha presence spkrs. Together with your answer to OP, I think that the link author and you manage to say what needs be said about Yamaha Presence and related functions of AVR.

I can only agree with the reviewer's evaluation regarding music vs movie material. Though I pushed the presence speakers as a solution to perceived center channel weakness for movies, I find that the presence function provides the most benefit to music. Or, at least some of it. For anything that we might lean toward that is classical/orchestral (or many movie soundtracks)--the presence speakers and Yamaha DSP at +1, maybe +2 the effect in a high ceilinged room is satisfying. Movies, not so much.

Adjusting the dialog lift (L/R only) to +3 or so, and leaving the soundfield dsp at factory or maybe +1, seems to work best for our 6800 cu.ft room during actual movies. As pointed out, what should be centered gets muddied or "muffled" if the "P" (3d effect?) is pushed very hard. Not really predictable.

Overall, I'd judge the 3D and dialog lifts using presence as a winner. A qualified, but for certain endorsement of Yamaha. Used wisely.

Mkard

post #364 of 1198 Old 08-06-2011, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Interesting perspectives on the height speakers. It sounds like it may be the way to go for me when I add some speakers. The shape of my room isn't the greatest for placing rears. I am currently running just three speakers up front (wedding in the fall, wanted to buy the Yamaha, didn't want it to sit without speakers so I bought what I could with the few bucks I had).

Are you guys running the height speakers doing 7 with 5 up front and 2 in the back or just 5 up front?
post #365 of 1198 Old 08-06-2011, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtReynolds View Post

Are you guys running the height speakers doing 7 with 5 up front and 2 in the back or just 5 up front?

My home|office system looks something like this . . . with nine speakers in place. The RX-V667 'chooses' between running in 5.x_Standard+2xFrontPresence or 7.1_Standard speaker modes depending on the post processing selections elected.

Interestingly, my [old] HTR-5860 ('rebadged' RX-V657) has a setup option for "FrontPresence|Rears priority" for use when both speaker pairs are present, although I always elected priority usage for the FrontPresence speakers. However, having recently experienced the (new) "Virtual Presence Speaker function for CINEMA DSP 3D surround without Front Presence Speakers" feature [which emulates FrontPresence speakers when CinemaDSP is used with 6.x_Standard|7.x_Standard speaker configurations], I think I'd like the option of switching (easily!) between 5.x_Standard+2xFrontPresence or 7.1_Standard speaker modes in mid soundtrack, with CinemaDSP engaged in both cases.

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #366 of 1198 Old 08-06-2011, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have a 106" screen, otherwise I probably wouldn't bother with the height speakers. I think it is important to spend most of the money on your lrc/sub and then get something that matches for the rest. My heights are largish small Yamahas, but everything else is Polk except the Velodyne sub. At some point I will change the height, but it's not an expensive system as it is.

Greg
post #367 of 1198 Old 08-06-2011, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
New to yamaha and just picked up two of these for $500 total.

How do i configure a nintendo wii? I have it connected via component to av2, but had to connect the stereo analogues to the audio 1. can obviously get video from av2 and audio from audio 1, but not both simultaneously. ideas?
post #368 of 1198 Old 08-06-2011, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post
New to yamaha and just picked up two of these for $500 total.

How do i configure a nintendo wii? I have it connected via component to av2, but had to connect the stereo analogues to the audio 1. can obviously get video from av2 and audio from audio 1, but not both simultaneously. ideas?
winston9332,

Hiya, glad to see you here.

Sorry I can't help with the Wii directly. There is an assignment protocol in the Yammy manual that'll link the video from one input to the audio from another input. Please double check me on this, as my experience is from 1 generation earlier.
First select your audio input audio 1 in your case.
Press "Option" for display
Cursor to "Video Out" -"Enter"
Cursor to select the video input desired, in your case "AV2"
Press "Option" to enable your modification.
Again, please check your manual. I'm a generation behind your new purchase of rx-v867!!

btw... you've got to explain the above "just picked up two of these" off-hand comment!!!

Good luck with getting all parts and pieces playing nicely.

Mkard

post #369 of 1198 Old 08-06-2011, 01:37 PM

Has anyone had any luck in programming the scenes? I can not figure out a way to change the inputs and other settings for these. I see the list of what is set but don't see a way to change it other than the name. It seems like there should be a way to change these?

Thx in advance

Scott Wood
post #370 of 1198 Old 08-06-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwood2 View Post
Has anyone had any luck in programming the scenes? I can not figure out a way to change the inputs and other settings for these. I see the list of what is set but don't see a way to change it other than the name. It seems like there should be a way to change these?

Thx in advance
Found the answer on Yamaha's site:

***Make sure the Yamaha receiver is powered on and that you have clear sight to the front panel display of the receiver.***

To reprogram the scene buttons - use the Yamaha remote to first select the input that you desire - for example HDMI 2 - and then on the Yamaha remote press and hold the scene button that you want to pair up with HDMI 2 until the front of the receiver reads SET COMPLETE. The scene button is now reprogrammed to the input that you selected.

Scott Wood
post #371 of 1198 Old 08-06-2011, 02:56 PM

Would I be able to ues the presence and rears at the same time if I use the pre out to a amp for the rears and use the receiver amp for the presence
post #372 of 1198 Old 08-07-2011, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Couple other questions for you seasoned yamaha owners...

Can you adjust source volume? Demon and onkyos can;pioneers cannot

Is the dynamic arc yamaha's dynamic volume?
post #373 of 1198 Old 08-07-2011, 09:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Couple other questions for you seasoned yamaha owners...

Can you adjust source volume? Demon and onkyos can;pioneers cannot

Is the dynamic arc yamaha's dynamic volume?

There is a volume trim for each input, available via the options pathway.
post #374 of 1198 Old 08-07-2011, 12:48 PM

I just got the receiver a few days ago, and everything sounds beautiful so far! I am having one issue though, maybe its how I have it hooked up.

I have a Panasonic Viera TC-P50S30 running into the V867.

I have a Uverse DVR Box hooked into HDMI 1, my BD in HDMI 2, and the TV's HDMI going into the "HDMI Out 1." My BD and Uverse both work perfectly through my stereo speakers, but when I try to use any of the Viera features of the tv such as Netflix and Pandora.........the sound will only come out of the damn TV!

Any links or help on this issue would be great. I have tried moving the hdmi from the HDMI Out spot to the HDMI 3 and switching the receivers source to HMDI 3 but that didn't work either. :-/
post #375 of 1198 Old 08-07-2011, 02:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 250
If you're looking for ARC from the TV, the Pannys require the AVR to be connected usually to the #1 input, it will be marked "ARC". HDMI-CEC needs to be on in both components, I think Panny calls it "VieraCast".

The less technical approach is to simply connect an optical cable from the TV to an input on the AVR and select that for TV audio.
post #376 of 1198 Old 08-07-2011, 08:49 PM

for $429,,,what a deallllllllll and newegg still has them in stock....................JT
post #377 of 1198 Old 08-11-2011, 11:46 PM

Anyone know how to change the aspect ratio of the picture through the receiver? I would like to convert some of the shows I'm seeing to 4:3 but can't seem to figure out the setting. They appear stretched because the receiver outputs the signal in 16:9. I would really like to change the damn ratio.

I had an Onkyo HT-RC270 previously and it was able to do so pretty easily without going into the main settings. Any help would be appreciated. Seems a pretty simple thing to have (or maybe I'm just stupid for not being able to figure it out).
post #378 of 1198 Old 08-13-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancelot View Post

Looks like some good work. I setup a web server on Windows 7 64bit and copied these files into a subfolder. I modified the scr1.js file with the IP of the receiver. When I try to load this I get "Loading files. Please wait...". Any ideas?

I've been trying for 3 weeks to try & get this to work on XP Pro & still get the "Loading Files. Please Wait..." also. iamaven (thank you) tried to help but NO JOY Just tried Khoram XAMPP, IE & Java Enable...still no go?

I REALLY need to use this feature to save burn-in on my plasma & it's a very cool tool to be able to control from my PC. I thought the RX-867 had full PC control when I got it...too late to return it now

I know just enough about LAN/Home Network/Router to totally "F" something up. ANY "Webserver/Apache for Idiot's" tutorial link/info would be appreciated.

iamaven - read somewhere that your index.htm file is Frontpage & Apache might have a problem with it so I need to "...create a symbolic link to index.html". What do you think.
post #379 of 1198 Old 08-13-2011, 05:32 PM

The only thing I can think of checking at this point is if there is a firewall or some other security software blocking the connection at one of the computers being used.
post #380 of 1198 Old 08-13-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjack56 View Post

I've been trying for 3 weeks to try & get this to work on XP Pro & still get the "Loading Files. Please Wait..." also. iamaven (thank you) tried to help but NO JOY Just tried Khoram XAMPP, IE & Java Enable...still no go?

I REALLY need to use this feature to save burn-in on my plasma & it's a very cool tool to be able to control from my PC. I thought the RX-867 had full PC control when I got it...too late to return it now

I know just enough about LAN/Home Network/Router to totally "F" something up. ANY "Webserver/Apache for Idiot's" tutorial link/info would be appreciated.

iamaven - read somewhere that your index.htm file is Frontpage & Apache might have a problem with it so I need to "...create a symbolic link to index.html". What do you think.

I ended up biting the bullet and purchasing the android app for the Yamaha. It works great while you are on local wifi. It did not have control for the Sirius channels, so I emailed the developer. After giving him access to my receiver for a little while, he added this feature.
Check it out.
http://rainshadowtech.com/default_fi...te_Control.htm
post #381 of 1198 Old 08-14-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancelot View Post

I ended up biting the bullet and purchasing the android app for the Yamaha. It works great while you are on local wifi. It did not have control for the Sirius channels, so I emailed the developer. After giving him access to my receiver for a little while, he added this feature.
Check it out.
http://rainshadowtech.com/default_fi...te_Control.htm

There is also the free app for IOS devices, but I don't know how well it works

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...pp/?mode=model
post #382 of 1198 Old 08-14-2011, 07:22 PM

Are any of you guys using any type of wireless bridge to access your network for connection to the RX-V867? If so which one and do they work about as well as hard wired ethernet?
example: Amped Wireless AV3000 Home WiFi Network Bridge
post #383 of 1198 Old 08-14-2011, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

All my Net stations vanished today. We had some bad weather, but apparently no power loss. Upgrading to the new fw and restarting. No biggie, this receiver is such a pita to update them, that I only put in a few.
post #384 of 1198 Old 08-15-2011, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I guess it loses all your stations if you are not connecting. It turned out that my switch needed to be rebooted... Live and learn. Firmware updating anyway.

Greg
post #385 of 1198 Old 08-16-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed4000 View Post

Are any of you guys using any type of wireless bridge to access your network for connection to the RX-V867? If so which one and do they work about as well as hard wired ethernet?

I'm using a D-Link DAP-1522 Wireless Bridge for my Tivo, TV and RX-V867. No problems so far.
post #386 of 1198 Old 08-16-2011, 11:51 AM

Members, please contact Yamaha if you want Web Control enabled!

After weeks of trying to get the "fix" from imaven to work on either my PC or Laptop, I was able to reach Level 2 Yamaha support. They could not help with my issue, but said if enough "requests" were made for the feature, they might possibly enable the Web Control in a future Firmware Update.

Said mine was the first request they had & would pass it on to developers?

Go to the following & send an email requesting Web Control for the V867: https://www.yamaha.com/ussub/contact...deptcode=16446

In the meantime, I am considering giving the following "Run Android App on a PC" a try since I do not own a Smartphone.
http://www.extremetech.com/mobile/83...r-windows-pc-2
post #387 of 1198 Old 08-16-2011, 03:39 PM

And now we're down to $399 shipped at newegg. Wow.
post #388 of 1198 Old 08-16-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed4000 View Post

I'm using the TRENDnet TEW-640MB Wireless Media Bridge - very similar to the D-Link already mentioned. It works great....
post #389 of 1198 Old 08-16-2011, 11:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliteconcept View Post

so are you guys saying that the harmony remote will not work with the 867?
Kind of a deal killer for me if thats the case

My Harmony 550 works great with the 867
post #390 of 1198 Old 08-17-2011, 08:54 AM

I ordered the Trendnet wireless bridge from Newegg. Thanks for mentioning it, it is cheaper than the d-link and seems like it might be easier to set up too.

Also regarding the harmony remotes, my Harmony 520 works flawlessly with the RX-V867.

Lastly, if anyone is interested. Newegg also has a great deal on Klipsch Reference RW-12D subs for the next few days. $349 shipped with promo code! That is super cheap. I ordered one of these also to complete my Klipsch system
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V867 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V867 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page