Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1198 Old 08-31-2011, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by frdfsnlght View Post

Both. I wanted to get the Yamaha app working so I could see the network traffic so I could build my own app.

I'm using the one posted by iamaven a few pages back (around July 24?). What constitutes the "right one"?

Well there are many versions for different receivers. I downloaded from another Itunes and it was a no go.

Here is the one that goes with ours.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/av-co...418512183?mt=8

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...ps/rx/rx-v867/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1198 Old 08-31-2011, 06:24 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamaven View Post

What information are you looking for as far as commands to be issued? It is using a simple XML post.

I'm looking for all the valid commands I can send this beast. As I understand it, XML requests are POSTed to receiver and XML responses are received. I really just need a list of valid XML requests and a description of the responses.

Well, I found the option in IE9 that allows cross-domain script requests, which was disabled by default. Flipping that switch allowed the app to work! I can now see the requests and responses, so I'll start coding away. Apparently you don't need the 2.16 firmware.

Thanks for the help.
post #453 of 1198 Old 08-31-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjsad View Post

1. If I use the zone 2 to power additional rooms/speakers - can zone 2 be playing while the main is 'off'? For example - The main is used for basement kids movie area while zone 2 is 'entertainment areas'. I would like to play zone 2 music w/out playing main speakers - can't seem to figure out how to do that.

I was able to land this receiver this past weekend on clearance from Best Buy for $399. One of my main criteria was Zone 2. I was kind of disappointed about the options out there for Zone 2, mainly in regards to not being able to send a true digital signal over it. Looks like in order to do that I'd be spending at least double what I paid.

Having said all that, I hooked up both the HDMI and standard audio cables from my Directv HDDVR to the Yamaha and have Zone 2 running great. And you CAN play zone 2 w/ the main zone being off OR playing another source. Very nice, just takes some getting used to the remote.

Finally a question for you AVS gurus...What are the best settings for playing Blurays from the PS3? I have the PS3 currently outputting Linear PCM. Is that the best format? And when I am outputting PCM, what should the Yamaha be set on? Straight? Direct? Straight Surr?

Been doing a lot of googling and haven't come up w/ a direct answer, for thanks in advance for your help!
post #454 of 1198 Old 08-31-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csphokie View Post

I was able to land this receiver this past weekend on clearance from Best Buy for $399. One of my main criteria was Zone 2. I was kind of disappointed about the options out there for Zone 2, mainly in regards to not being able to send a true digital signal over it. Looks like in order to do that I'd be spending at least double what I paid.

Having said all that, I hooked up both the HDMI and standard audio cables from my Directv HDDVR to the Yamaha and have Zone 2 running great. And you CAN play zone 2 w/ the main zone being off OR playing another source. Very nice, just takes some getting used to the remote.

Finally a question for you AVS gurus...What are the best settings for playing Blurays from the PS3? I have the PS3 currently outputting Linear PCM. Is that the best format? And when I am outputting PCM, what should the Yamaha be set on? Straight? Direct? Straight Surr?

Been doing a lot of googling and haven't come up w/ a direct answer, for thanks in advance for your help!

Pure direct is just taking the audio decoding it and outputting it without any extra processing or room correction. Straight is like pure direct but adds room correction. Straight surround I think adds some of Yamaha's surround processing for enhanced effect. My favorite is straight because it doesn't add extra processing of the audio but does room correction.

If you want the receiver to decode your ps3's audio you need to set the ps3's audio settings to bitstream.

If you want your ps3 to do the decoding leave it how you have it. And either way will sound the same.
post #455 of 1198 Old 09-04-2011, 05:36 PM

Just setting up my brand new v867 today. Sound is good from what I can tell with my dinky speakers. Tad better than the Pioneer that it is replacing.

Very disappointed about the Zone 2 limitation. Big reason why I bought this thing was to get rid of all the various audio cables. Now I guess I have to plug them back in in order to get something in Zone 2.

Anyway, ran into an issue... might be just a standard limitation, not sure. When I look at HD output from the Dish receiver, it fills out my Samsung display nicely. When I switch to my PC, I get a smaller screen with some black margins around it. Not only that, also the quality is worse than what I am used to when I plug the HDMI output from the PC directly into the TV. Is there any way to get back my full screen and pixel sharpness when running the HDMI signal through the Yamaha? If not, then the whole HDMI switching upgrade was really for nothing.
post #456 of 1198 Old 09-04-2011, 08:39 PM

Nevermind, graphics card decided to set itself to underscan, that was the issue.
post #457 of 1198 Old 09-04-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflintstone1 View Post

Nevermind, graphics card decided to set itself to underscan, that was the issue.

They do that when you change displays sometimes. The graphics card probably thought it was a different display and tried to calibrate it self.
post #458 of 1198 Old 09-05-2011, 09:26 AM

Thanks iG!

So there is really no way to output "digital sound" to zone 2? I was looking forward to listen to Pandora etc in my backyard, looks like this is not going to work.

Or is there something I missed?
post #459 of 1198 Old 09-05-2011, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Thanks iG!

So there is really no way to output "digital sound" to zone 2? I was looking forward to listen to Pandora etc in my backyard, looks like this is not going to work.

Or is there something I missed?

The preouts pass digital. Have you tried zone 2?
post #460 of 1198 Old 09-05-2011, 11:51 AM

Sorry, I am a newb... pre-outs = I need another amplifier?

I connected speakers directly to the regular zone 2/presence speaker outlets via banana plugs. And activated zone 2, but no sound. I know they work. Perhaps there is another place where I need to configure them? In manual speaker setup, I disabled presence speakers since I don't have/don't want pres speakers and the output is shared.
post #461 of 1198 Old 09-06-2011, 01:51 PM

Here's a review I stumbled upon...

http://www.simply-surround-sound.com...-receiver.html

Fairly generic, but nicely formatted.
post #462 of 1198 Old 09-06-2011, 08:50 PM

Hello, and HELP please!

Just got mine w/o remote or mic and I'm struggling to find a way to keep it. I have Zone2 showing Volume Fixed and can't increase the loudness to the outside speakers. I believe I read this is adjusted in the setup menu but... with no remote this had been a challenge for me. Any advise on how to get to setup without a remote? Buttons on the unit don't seem to allow that level of control and the free app is hiding the options for me. I have upgraded the firmware.

Cost $299 at Best Buy so believe it a great deal, but without the remote and mic I might be lost.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
post #463 of 1198 Old 09-06-2011, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, I am a newb... pre-outs = I need another amplifier?

I connected speakers directly to the regular zone 2/presence speaker outlets via banana plugs. And activated zone 2, but no sound. I know they work. Perhaps there is another place where I need to configure them? In manual speaker setup, I disabled presence speakers since I don't have/don't want pres speakers and the output is shared.

If you don't get sound on radio, then you're doing something wrong on zone 2. I use height, so I can't help there...
post #464 of 1198 Old 09-07-2011, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

Well, I guess it loses all your stations if you are not connecting. It turned out that my switch needed to be rebooted... Live and learn. Firmware updating anyway.

Greg

Please elaborate/explain "switch reboot"? Just got power back (Mon.)...9 days after hurricane Irene & no Net Station access but Pandora works fine.
post #465 of 1198 Old 09-07-2011, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

power cycle it... unplug/plug in... But since pandora works, it's probably not your problem.
post #466 of 1198 Old 09-08-2011, 05:22 AM

newegg is dealing again...
post #467 of 1198 Old 09-08-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchalljr View Post

newegg is dealing again...

I saw that. I currently have the RX-V665. Would the RX-V867 be any type of "real" upgrade? The thing that's catching my eye right now is the 2nd HDMI out, but I could just buy a splitter for 1/10th the price...

I mostly use the setup for movies. I have Polk Monitor 60's and a CS1 in the front and some old Yamaha speakers for the surround...
post #468 of 1198 Old 09-08-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord517 View Post
I saw that. I currently have the RX-V665. Would the RX-V867 be any type of "real" upgrade? The thing that's catching my eye right now is the 2nd HDMI out, but I could just buy a splitter for 1/10th the price...

I mostly use the setup for movies. I have Polk Monitor 60's and a CS1 in the front and some old Yamaha speakers for the surround...
probably not a "real" sound upgrade... Pandora might be a nice upgrade if you use that... i wouldn't get it just for the 2nd HDMI output...

i have a HTR-6060 (RX-V661 clone), so i'm looking for more HDMI inputs and a HDMI GUI along with Pandora and vTuner...

the V867 seems to be a sweet spot now... i've been comparing it to other closeout Yamahas...

A800 (no networking)
A1000 ($200 more, larger power supply is appealing, but not sure i'd notice in real life)
post #469 of 1198 Old 09-08-2011, 09:16 AM

Helluva lot of receiver for $400. Best I could do locally for one was a floor model at Best Buy for $380 that they might not have the remote or other parts for. So, Newegg got some more of my business...
post #470 of 1198 Old 09-08-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
If you don't get sound on radio, then you're doing something wrong on zone 2. I use height, so I can't help there...
I am usually pretty good in figuring things out, but this one has me stumped.

I tried with the remote, switching to Zone 2, and using Pandora or Netradio as the source. Nothing.

I tried party mode... no sound in Zone 2. I tried the network remote Yamaha app, turned on Zone 2. No sound. Says something about volume locked?

Weird. I know the speakers are connected and work, when I did YPAO they fired too (outside... lol). Need to connect something analog to the receiver and see if that works.
post #471 of 1198 Old 09-08-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrracerx View Post
Hello, and HELP please!

Just got mine w/o remote or mic and I'm struggling to find a way to keep it. I have Zone2 showing Volume Fixed and can't increase the loudness to the outside speakers. I believe I read this is adjusted in the setup menu but... with no remote this had been a challenge for me. Any advise on how to get to setup without a remote? Buttons on the unit don't seem to allow that level of control and the free app is hiding the options for me. I have upgraded the firmware.

Cost $299 at Best Buy so believe it a great deal, but without the remote and mic I might be lost.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
If you have a logitech harmony remote, you should be able to use that. Not sure about the mic, but maybe if you register it and get warranty support from Yamaha?

Good job getting that deal from Best Buy. All they'd do for me for $360 for a floor model ($380 is they found the remote).
post #472 of 1198 Old 09-08-2011, 10:13 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Correct me if I am wrong, but do not believe the 867 and 1000 have pandora. it was included in the 871, and 1010 though.

I'm listening to Pandora on an 867 in my office right now. It wasn't originally listed as a feature. Was added through a firmware update.
post #473 of 1198 Old 09-08-2011, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am usually pretty good in figuring things out, but this one has me stumped.

I tried with the remote, switching to Zone 2, and using Pandora or Netradio as the source. Nothing.

I tried party mode... no sound in Zone 2. I tried the network remote Yamaha app, turned on Zone 2. No sound. Says something about volume locked?

Weird. I know the speakers are connected and work, when I did YPAO they fired too (outside... lol). Need to connect something analog to the receiver and see if that works.

Use the radio, that is analog...
post #474 of 1198 Old 09-08-2011, 01:21 PM

@399 you cant really go wrong with this one! Looks like the best bang for your buck in this price range. I was debating between the Onkyo 609 and this one....both are $399 today.....this one had more features. I am upgrading from Onkyo 607 which does not have 3D support. Ordered from newegg today. Cant wait for it to show up! Super Happy.
post #475 of 1198 Old 09-09-2011, 06:57 AM

Can anybody tell me why the number of internet radio stations available through my receiver is so much less than what I have from VTuner on-line?
post #476 of 1198 Old 09-09-2011, 07:09 AM

I do not (yet) have a HTPC connected directly to my 867, but I use the NET PC function a lot, including "Play to" from Windows Media Player.

Is there a way to get Google Music Beta or Amazon Cloud Player tracks to the receiver via the network cable?
post #477 of 1198 Old 09-09-2011, 07:23 AM

Can thie receiver run MartinLogan Motion 12 fronts and motion 8 as center?. Should i get an ext amp as well?( The setup is 2.1 right now).
Thanks for the input.
post #478 of 1198 Old 09-09-2011, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
FINALLY...got the Web Browser Control working !!!

Thanks iamaven, frdfsnlght & others for all your posts & pm responses.

I now have PC control from my XP Pro desktop & Win 7 Pro wireless laptop. I was also able to get an Android app running on my PC during the process, so I now have (2) methods of PC control.
http://www.extremetech.com/mobile/83...windows-pc-2/3

Now all I need is Yamaha's latest Android .APK file. I am having problems locating it through the Android Market app in the PC Emulator.

I might do a brief post later if enough others are still having problems. In the meantime drop a post or pm if you need any help with the above. Not an expert, but can probably save you a lot of time.

THX again all
post #479 of 1198 Old 09-09-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspolari View Post

Can anybody tell me why the number of internet radio stations available through my receiver is so much less than what I have from VTuner on-line?

To clarify, when you log in to vTuner from your PC and look at your Bookmarks, not all of these stations appear in the V867 Net Radio bookmarks folder? i.e. have you registered the receiver ID and added the desired stations from your PC?
post #480 of 1198 Old 09-09-2011, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjack56 View Post

FINALLY...got the Web Browser Control working !!!

Thanks iamaven, frdfsnlght & others for all your posts & pm responses.

I now have PC control from my XP Pro desktop & Win 7 Pro wireless laptop. I was also able to get an Android app running on my PC during the process, so I now have (2) methods of PC control.
http://www.extremetech.com/mobile/83...windows-pc-2/3

Now all I need is Yamaha's latest Android .APK file. I am having problems locating it through the Android Market app in the PC Emulator.

I might do a brief post later if enough others are still having problems. In the meantime drop a post or pm if you need any help with the above. Not an expert, but can probably save you a lot of time.

THX again all

I just got this from Yamaha;

Yamaha's A/V Controller App
is now available for both
Android and iOS devices!

https://market.android.com/details?i...v.avcontroller

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/av-co...418512183?mt=8

Description
This AV Controller application will turn your Android device into a Wi-Fi enabled remote control for your YAMAHA network products(*). This Android application provides you the flexibility to control the available inputs, volume, mute and power commands. It lets users change a song from Internet Radio, USB and command FM/AM tuners or any other internally available source. Using this application you can even control all AV receiver zones that are available such as powering on and changing input for each zone. This application not only controls AV receiver but also Yamaha blu-ray players. It supports various functions including Play, Stop, Forward. Available in English, French, German, Spanish and Russian. It's great to have all this control at your fingertips - and best of all it's FREE!
(*)Please check compatible model list below.
Requirements
- AndroidOS 2.1 or higher
- A wireless Local Area Network (LAN) and a compatible Yamaha Network product(s)* residing within the same LAN.
- Network Standby set to ON
- NETWORK STANDBY MODE is under:
Setup->Network->Network Standby (AV receivers other than RX-V2065 or HTR-6295)
Setup Menu->Function Setup->Network->Network Standby (RX-V2065 or HTR-6295)
System->Network Control (Blu-ray players)
- Please make sure the Network Standby setting is set to "ON" so that the unit can accept commands via the network. The Network Standby setting allows the AV receiver or Blu-ray player to accept commands via the network while the AV receiver or Blu-ray player are in the Standby Mode.
Key Features
- Power on/off - Allows you to Control the Power
- Volume up/down - Use "+/-" to adjust volume to the desired setting
- Mute - Pressing the speaker icon will mute
- Input Selection - Use the Input selector to select the device you want to enjoy. If you select an internal source you can Control the content within the input. For example, control the Tuner, Network and docked iPod contents directly with full metadata information on the display.
- DSP Mode Selection - Change DSP program to the desired Mode
- SCENE selection - Takes you to your SCENE setting
- Blu-ray player fundamental control - Play/Stop/Pause/Skip/Menu/Cursor keys etc
- Seemless control between the Yamaha AV receiver and Blu-ray player
- Demo mode - Explains how to use this app
Compatible models *Product availability varies depending on regions
AV Receivers
- RX-A3010, RX-A2010, RX-A1010, RX-A810, RX-A710
- RX-V3071, RX-V2071, RX-V871, RX-V771, RX-V671
- HTR-6064
- RX-A3000, RX-A2000, RX-A1000
- RX-V3067, RX-V2067, RX-V1067, RX-V867
- HTR-9063, HTR-8063
- RX-V2065, RX-V3900, DSP-AX3900, RX-Z7, DSP-Z7, HTR-6295
Blu-ray Players