post #511 of 1193 Old 09-22-2011, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by medatom View Post

Just bought 867 recently. When i play Pandora or Net Radio after some time it shows access error. But when i try to change to FM radio from my android phone, my yamaha app is able to control the receiver. Unless i power cycle the receiver, the Net radio or pandora does not work (my android phone can control it though). Please note that the receiver is connected to the modem via cat 5 cable. I checked the internet connection, it works on other PCs. So i am not sure the problem is with the receiver.
Please, please someone help in this :-)
Thank You

Have you updated the firmware yet? If not do so. I had some problems once after a power outage. The switch my receiver was plugged into needed to be restarted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 1193 Old 09-22-2011, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have ran YPAO about 3 times with 3 different possitions. Everything finishes with no errors but it kills my bass from my X-Ref 12. Before running YPAO my subwoofer used to boom but now it doesn't sound nearly as good. YPAO is setting my front speakers to +9db and my subwoofer to -10db. All of the speakers are set to small with a 80hz crossover. Anyone have any ideas as to why YPAO is killing my bass?
post #513 of 1193 Old 09-22-2011, 06:17 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranalli View Post

Also, Ive learned that zone 2 party mode can output the same audio as zone 1 simultaneously. Is there a way to mute zone 1 during this? How can I play zone 2 as if its speakers a/b on older receivers? I dont want zone 1 on in some cases when zone 2 is playing. (hmm seems multi zone initial volume and max volume may do what im looking for. any other thoughts are welcome)

From what I have found with my zone 2 testing (and the user manual of course) is that Zone 2 can only output analog input sources if NOT on party mode. It can output the radio (and Pandora, etc.) because these are not inputs. The analog only refers to actual inputs (like HDMI from your cable box for example). A workaround for this is to also run an analog audio cable from either your cable box or TV into your receiver AUDIO1 or 2 input (which is what I have done). When the receiver is on Party mode, it basically just duplicates the sound being played so anything regardless of analog/digital input can be played in Zone 2. The volumes between Zone 1 and Zone 2 are independent (regardless of Party mode setting). So you could technically turn the receiver on Party mode, mute zone 1 and set zone 2 to your desired volume. Or if it is non-digital input, just set your zone 2 output to that input and you dont even need the main receiver zone turned on for that matter.

Hope this helps.

Also, MAJOR props to iamaven for his web control scripts. I was able to setup web control using apache with my receiver. I first was not able to get it to work in IE but after adjusting security settings for the "Intranet" zone, all was well and it kicks a**.
post #514 of 1193 Old 09-23-2011, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

Have you updated the firmware yet? If not do so. I had some problems once after a power outage. The switch my receiver was plugged into needed to be restarted.

Yes. i updated from ver 1.1 to 2.16 already. but still the same. Should i get replacement for this?
Thanks for any help.
post #515 of 1193 Old 09-23-2011, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by medatom View Post

Yes. i updated from ver 1.1 to 2.16 already. but still the same. Should i get replacement for this?
Thanks for any help.

I would start by replacing all the network cables you are using. From the modem to the router and the router to the receiver. It's probably not the receiver since you can do a bunch of other things network wise. It could be network noise from another device too. I'd unplug everything except the receiver if the cable replacement does not work.

Lastly plug the receiver directly into the modem and restart the modem. If that doesn't do it, it's either the modem or the receiver. I've had flaky cable modems in the past...

Greg
post #516 of 1193 Old 09-23-2011, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsceneJesster View Post

I have ran YPAO about 3 times with 3 different possitions. Everything finishes with no errors but it kills my bass from my X-Ref 12. Before running YPAO my subwoofer used to boom but now it doesn't sound nearly as good. YPAO is setting my front speakers to +9db and my subwoofer to -10db. All of the speakers are set to small with a 80hz crossover. Anyone have any ideas as to why YPAO is killing my bass?

It seems that you have the volume setting on the sub itself set too high. After running YPAO and resetting everything to small you want that sub as close to 0 as possible. Start with the subs volume set at ~mid on its volume control. Also set it all the way up on crossover(direct if it has it). Try this and see if it helps.
post #517 of 1193 Old 09-23-2011, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Apparently the people at Yamaha don't like bass as much as you do. There's nothing wrong with adjusting things upward or downward manually. It is your system!
post #518 of 1193 Old 09-24-2011, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I just set up this reciever. Two things while running ypao.

1. Says Polarity reversed on left front. I switched to see if it was right, Said polarity reveresed still. so I just put it back to what I thought was right.

2. Said subs were too far away and would not measure? They are right by fronts? Does it have something to do with running dual subs?

Also, I am updating firmware right now from 1.0.1 to current. What will this fix and/or add?

Thanks
post #519 of 1193 Old 09-24-2011, 11:20 AM

I picked up the RX-V867 a few weeks ago - so far very happy with it, but I am noticing something that is kind of bugging me, wanted to know if anyone else has seen it as well:

While I am watching Cable TV broadcasts, the display says that the decoder is constantly switching between Dolby Digital and Dolby Pro Logic II - it just keeps alternating. As far as sound good - I don't hear any changes as it's doing this - and the speaker lights indicate that all the same speakers are remaining active. I am also not hearing any sort of silence between switches (otherwise it'd be intolerable.) I have my cable box hooked up via Optical for sound (no HDMI on my box despite the fact that's HD.)

My other sources are all hooked up via HDMI - my Xbox 360 is set to Dolby Digital and stays on Dolby (as long as it starts with Dolby Digital...sometimes it starts up and shows Pro Logic - but I think that's a different issue with the Xbox itself.)

Anyone else have a similar experience or do you think there's something wrong here?
post #520 of 1193 Old 09-24-2011, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Probably should've mentioned it earlier, but this unit was on sale at Newegg.com for $399 last week.
post #521 of 1193 Old 09-24-2011, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc4saints View Post

I just set up this reciever. Two things while running ypao.

1. Says Polarity reversed on left front. I switched to see if it was right, Said polarity reveresed still. so I just put it back to what I thought was right.

2. Said subs were too far away and would not measure? They are right by fronts? Does it have something to do with running dual subs?

Also, I am updating firmware right now from 1.0.1 to current. What will this fix and/or add?

Thanks

I was told that the polarity shows up wrong sometimes due to reflections, don't worry about it if you know it is hooked up right.

How high do you have the volume on the sub?
post #522 of 1193 Old 09-24-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHelpful View Post

Probably should've mentioned it earlier, but this unit was on sale at Newegg.com for $399 last week.

Yea I ordered mine from the Egg on Thursday ad it's supposed to be here on Tuesday. Can't wait however I'm having more trouble selling my 3900 than I expected. I have more than a fair price on it so I guess folks must be looking mostly for 3D AVR's.
post #523 of 1193 Old 09-24-2011, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:

I was told that the polarity shows up wrong sometimes due to reflections, don't worry about it if you know it is hooked up right.

How high do you have the volume on the sub?

I had the volume on the subs at 50%. I have two. one on left and right.
post #524 of 1193 Old 09-24-2011, 07:22 PM

Quick question on my new RX-V867 Receiver...why can I change the surround sound decoder when my input is a U-verse DVR using HDMI, but when the input is my Sony BDP-S580 Blu-ray, also HDMI, I can't? I've heard that some decoders will simulate 7.1 channel from a 5.1 channel source, but if I can't manually change the decoder I'm stuck. I would hate to discover that after spending a week setting up my 7 speakers in my new entertainment room that due to almost no 7.1 channel movies being available that my rear speakers are going to sit idle.
post #525 of 1193 Old 09-25-2011, 01:48 AM

Hello Everyone!

My name is James. I purchased my RX-V867 from NewEgg in June. My wife was watching it and it just shut down on her. She said that she wasn't changing the volume or any settings and it displayed an "S" on the display. I've tried the Main Zone+Info+Tone Control as well as the Main Zone+Tone Control+Direct - all to no avail. I did purchase a Net CE extended warranty offered by NewEgg. Basically the receiver continuously shuts down upon pressing the three Main Zone+Info+Tone Control buttons. I hear a sound that would normally indicate the that receiver is powering up, but then, almost simultaneously, I hear the sound that indicates that the receiver is powering down. If I can't find a button combination that will reset the receiver, then it's most likely an internal short, as would presumably be indicated by the "S" on the display screen. I would love input if there has been someone in the same situation. I already did a search on this site for "RX-V867 "protection circuitry"" and read through all of the posts that included these criteria and in most cases the few posts prior and after them. I'd be more than willing to try new combinations, but failing that I will send it back to be repaired/replaced via the warranty. I'll be sure to keep you guys updated when developments occur.

Thanks for all your help in advance and thanks for the posts that could have helped but probably didn't since it sounds like I have a different problem, i.e. internal short.

James
post #526 of 1193 Old 09-25-2011, 03:38 AM

Liked: 11
Newegg has the RX-V867 on sale again for $399.99 today. Just ordered mine and hopefully I'll get it by Thu.
post #527 of 1193 Old 09-25-2011, 06:16 AM

Got my RX-V867 from NE last week.
I'm one of those people that is irritated (serverly) at the volume OSD.
Is there still no way to turn it off?
I'm seriously considering selling it off because of that one issue.

Thanks
Britt
post #528 of 1193 Old 09-25-2011, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Sure, just route everything to your tv and then use the audio out from the tv. Then you'll never see the osd volume.

Greg
post #529 of 1193 Old 09-25-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:

Sure, just route everything to your tv and then use the audio out from the tv. Then you'll never see the osd volume.

Greg

Well that is a work around, but @ $400, I just assume go back to my RX-V367 and spend the saved $260 on a new 60" plasma.

Yea, it bothers me that MUCH!

Britt
post #530 of 1193 Old 09-25-2011, 11:41 AM

I discovered the answer to my own question and thought I'd share it. If you check under the Option menu when the input is selected (mine was HDMI 1), you'll find the Extended Surround option. When in "Auto" the receiver will select the detected decoder depending on the source. You can select manually the Dolby Pro Logic IIx decoder for 7 channel sound.
post #531 of 1193 Old 09-25-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittcrowell View Post

Got my RX-V867 from NE last week.
I'm one of those people that is irritated (serverly) at the volume OSD.
Is there still no way to turn it off?
I'm seriously considering selling it off because of that one issue.

Thanks
Britt

I agree with you, I think it's asinine of Yamaha to not offer the option to turn it off.

Some Costco's have the RX-V871 for $489. You have the option to turn it off on the new models.
post #532 of 1193 Old 09-25-2011, 01:16 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882115284

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I have a TV with HDMI in my bedroom and one on my back patio. Is it possible to connect the cable box to the 867 and output to the bedroom TV or to the patio? Is audio passed as well?
post #533 of 1193 Old 09-25-2011, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

You can pass audio, but generally it messes up the surround sound. I'm not sure if you can pass to one and not to the other.

Otherwise yes. The picture is output on both hdmi ports.
post #534 of 1193 Old 09-25-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesP1234 View Post

Hello Everyone!

My name is James. I purchased my RX-V867 from NewEgg in June. My wife was watching it and it just shut down on her. She said that she wasn't changing the volume or any settings and it displayed an "S" on the display. I've tried the Main Zone+Info+Tone Control as well as the Main Zone+Tone Control+Direct - all to no avail. I did purchase a Net CE extended warranty offered by NewEgg. Basically the receiver continuously shuts down upon pressing the three Main Zone+Info+Tone Control buttons. I hear a sound that would normally indicate the that receiver is powering up, but then, almost simultaneously, I hear the sound that indicates that the receiver is powering down. If I can't find a button combination that will reset the receiver, then it's most likely an internal short, as would presumably be indicated by the "S" on the display screen. I would love input if there has been someone in the same situation. I already did a search on this site for "RX-V867 "protection circuitry"" and read through all of the posts that included these criteria and in most cases the few posts prior and after them. I'd be more than willing to try new combinations, but failing that I will send it back to be repaired/replaced via the warranty. I'll be sure to keep you guys updated when developments occur.

Thanks for all your help in advance and thanks for the posts that could have helped but probably didn't since it sounds like I have a different problem, i.e. internal short.

James

Before I had a chance to wire with banana plugs I had the same issue, ended up being sloppy wiring on my part and a single strand of copper was shorting against another terminal in the back. Try disconnecting your wires and hook them up again or just double check the connections again.
post #535 of 1193 Old 09-25-2011, 04:23 PM

Thanks Greg. Basically, just trying to utilize the STB that is in the bedroom out on the patio with a set of outdoor speakers. Already have cable hooked up on the patio without the STB.
post #536 of 1193 Old 09-26-2011, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I hate to beat a dead horse here but I hope Yamaha is listening. I read the posts about the displayed volume level and thought I don't really care one way or the other I'm going to buy it. Having the volume display on the tv sounds nice. But after using it for a bit it's actually fairly anoying not to be able to turn it off. it pops up over the movie you're watching if you need to adjust volume during playback.

One interesting thing I did note last night was that while watching a recorded DVR show that was in SD it didn't show the volume on the screen while I adujsted it. probably because it's displayed in different resolution. when I switched to a show recorded in Hi-def it showed the volume bar again. But for a brief time I thought one of my kids had stumbled on an acidental sequence of remote control key stokes that had turned it off.

TC-P50G10, Klipsch KG-4, Klipsch Architectural Refrence 5000 series speakers, Onkyo TX-NR636, BDT-210

Optoma HD79, RX-V2090, HTPC,RX-V867
post #537 of 1193 Old 09-26-2011, 12:52 PM

For $399 receiver, it has a lots of pluses compared to the minor inconvenience of seeing the volume display?! Quick whining everyone else go buy a $800 receiver that can help you choose if you want to see the volume bar or not.
post #538 of 1193 Old 09-26-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimemastergogo View Post

For $399 receiver, it has a lots of pluses compared to the minor inconvenience of seeing the volume display?! Quick whining everyone else go buy a $800 receiver that can help you choose if you want to see the volume bar or not.

I agree. Why don't all the whiners sell their Yammys and get an Onkyo toaster? That way, you can avoid the volume bar on your TV screen. Instead of looking at that bar, you can be on hold to Onkyo customer service, packing the receiver for return, and waiting for it to be sent back to you, most likely with the same problems you sent it in for. Much ado about nothing. Enough about the volume bar-PLEASE!
post #539 of 1193 Old 09-26-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferrick View Post

I agree. Why don't all the whiners sell their Yammys and get an Onkyo toaster? That way, you can avoid the volume bar on your TV screen. Instead of looking at that bar, you can be on hold to Onkyo customer service, packing the receiver for return, and waiting for it to be sent back to you, most likely with the same problems you sent it in for. Much ado about nothing. Enough about the volume bar-PLEASE!

Or maybe Yamaha will get their head out of their azz and fix the problem. Its basic common sense, why wouldn't you allow your customers to chose? If no one complains they will never bother to address the issue. Am I missing something, can't they resolve the issue with a firmware update?

I agree it's a wonderful receiver , especially at the current price point. However I live in an apartment and constantly adjust the volume during movies so I don't disturb others. So for people like me it's the only thing holding me back. Not sure why we have to pay double for the current receiver just for something that should be fundamental.

Let me ask you this, how long does the black box stay on screen when making adjustments? I'm still seriously considering this receiver.
post #540 of 1193 Old 09-27-2011, 04:23 AM

It stays for 2 to 3 seconds.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V867 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V867 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page