Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1193 Old 09-27-2011, 04:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuk109 View Post

Or maybe Yamaha will get their head out of their azz and fix the problem. Its basic common sense, why wouldn't you allow your customers to chose? If no one complains they will never bother to address the issue. Am I missing something, can't they resolve the issue with a firmware update?

I agree it's a wonderful receiver , especially at the current price point. However I live in an apartment and constantly adjust the volume during movies so I don't disturb others. So for people like me it's the only thing holding me back. Not sure why we have to pay double for the current receiver just for something that should be fundamental.

Let me ask you this, how long does the black box stay on screen when making adjustments? I'm still seriously considering this receiver.

You are making my point exactly. You aren't an owner, you know the receiver's volume bar isn't switchable, yet you are "seriously considering this receiver". Knowing this, are you going to whine about it if you buy it? It's much like buying a Subaru and complaining that AWD can't be turned-off. I own an 867 and wish it had a front USB connection. It doesn't, I knew that before I bought it, so I'm not going to a forum and complain about it. There may be a way to add the ability to shut-off the volume bar with a firmware update, but that small point doesn't detract from a wonderful AVR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1193 Old 09-27-2011, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuk109 View Post

Or maybe Yamaha will get their head out of their azz and fix the problem. Its basic common sense, why wouldn't you allow your customers to chose? If no one complains they will never bother to address the issue. Am I missing something, can't they resolve the issue with a firmware update?

I agree it's a wonderful receiver , especially at the current price point. However I live in an apartment and constantly adjust the volume during movies so I don't disturb others. So for people like me it's the only thing holding me back. Not sure why we have to pay double for the current receiver just for something that should be fundamental.

Let me ask you this, how long does the black box stay on screen when making adjustments? I'm still seriously considering this receiver.

This is painful
post #543 of 1193 Old 09-27-2011, 06:38 AM

I think you're missing the point. I also would have liked a front usb port I'm not complaining about that because it’s a hardware add on and I made a choice to get the 867 rather than the 871. But the volume display is a simple firmware update that they can make to IMPROVE this wonderful receiver. If no one says they find it annoying why would they waste any man hours adding it to the next firmware update. I purchased this receiver knowing it had this issue and perhaps not realizing how distracting it is. I'm still VERY happy with my purchase and that should be noted to other perspective buyers. This really is my only real issue with the unit and I believe it will be fixed in a future hotfix especially since they did add the functionality in the 71 series apparently. It wouldn't be much work to port this to the later line.

One thing that seems to be a consistent theme with most electronics manufactures is that they will put out firmware updates for their product lines for a year or two and then just not do it anymore. This is because they have realized all the profits from those lines as they phase out and don't want to spend any more money adding features to those. But if they started taking a longer view, or if just one manufacture started taking a longer view and made sure all the new features available in firmware updates (or at least those that are supportable by hardware) continue to go out to older models many years past that sort of thing would spread out to the consumers through forums like this. And those manufacturers would have a serious edge in customer loyalty and satisfaction that would in turn drive future sales.

TC-P50G10, Klipsch KG-4, Klipsch Architectural Refrence 5000 series speakers, Onkyo TX-NR636, BDT-210

Optoma HD79, RX-V2090, HTPC,RX-V867
post #544 of 1193 Old 09-27-2011, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I'm using a Yamaha A3000 that does the same thing with this volume display. Does it bother me, no not in the least. If I used a projector I feel the answer would still be no. The 867 and any of the Yamaha AVR's that have this one very minor little bug are still better than most of the other brands that don't have it. They just work like they are supposed to, they are very reliable, sound fantastic, have many features for their price point. Yes a firmware update may fix it and then you would have the perfect AVR. But IMO, anyone who doesn't purchase one of these for what they are selling for at this time is wasting their money on something else that has less features and doesn't have the reliability long associated with Yamaha products. It's well worth this very minor little bug. And yes it is possible that a firmware will cure even this. Someone will have passed up a very good product due to a little issue. Check out the other threads for all the major issues with their products and then come back and gripe about this one. JMHO.
post #545 of 1193 Old 09-27-2011, 08:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 222
I can remember years of whining on the Yamaha threads because the earlier models had no OSD for volume.
post #546 of 1193 Old 09-27-2011, 08:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I can remember years of whining on the Yamaha threads because the earlier models had no OSD for volume.

Me too. That why I think this complaint is hilarious. People would not buy certain receivers because it lacked OSD volume. Now its the other way. I really don't see the importance of it either way. I have 3 a/v receivers and none have osd volume. I can see the receiver display just fine and don't need it.

Afro GT
post #547 of 1193 Old 09-27-2011, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Well the H/K 7550HD I used for a while also had it and it also was no bother. I sure would not let something this minor stop me from buying one of these AVR's especially for what they are selling for. I mean under $400 delivered is a bargain. And to think it is possible that an update may occur to solve it. Worth the gamble IMO.
post #548 of 1193 Old 09-27-2011, 09:11 AM

Well I'll call Yamaha and ask complain about the the volume OSD and let ya'll know what they tell me.

I didn't know about the volume OSD issue before I got it, so I'm complaining on

Britt
post #549 of 1193 Old 09-27-2011, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittcrowell View Post

Well I'll call Yamaha and ask complain about the the volume OSD and let ya'll know what they tell me.

I didn't know about the volume OSD issue before I got it, so I'm complaining on

Britt

Hope they are able to do something for you. Maybe so, maybe no. This issue has been on this thread and the other Yamaha threads since they came out. It's not like it wasn't a known complaint about this model year. Still IMO it is not a reason to get something else to replace it. What else is out there in this price point that does as much? Enough complaints may get Yamaha to do something about it if it is something that a firmware update can fix. Good luck and enjoy it while you can.
post #550 of 1193 Old 09-27-2011, 09:26 AM

I think we have talked about the volume OSD a lot....move on...time to get over it and enjoy the 'sound'.

I have the 867 and am using mid range Onkyo speakers in 7.1 setup. I am considering upgrading the front and center speakers in the next few days. Any recommendations on these from other 867 owners?

Room is 20x22x9 in size.
post #551 of 1193 Old 09-27-2011, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimemastergogo View Post

I think we have talked about the volume OSD a lot....move on...time to get over it and enjoy the 'sound'.

I have the 867 and am using mid range Onkyo speakers in 7.1 setup. I am considering upgrading the front and center speakers in the next few days. Any recommendations on these from other 867 owners?

Room is 20x22x9 in size.

Depending on budget these are some that need considering. A full set of these along with the matching center should make a very good set up.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/speak...-speakers.html
post #552 of 1193 Old 09-27-2011, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Crimemastergogo,

Onkyo makes mid range speakers? Which ones are those? I thought all their speakers were the entry level HTIB package types.

You'll need to provide a budget in order to get speaker recommendations. Also, can you have tower speakers?

Afro GT
post #553 of 1193 Old 09-27-2011, 09:59 AM

Budget $1000 for Front L/R and Center Channel.

Yes, I can have tower speakers.
post #554 of 1193 Old 09-27-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimemastergogo View Post

It stays for 2 to 3 seconds.

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferrick View Post

You are making my point exactly. You aren't an owner, you know the receiver's volume bar isn't switchable, yet you are "seriously considering this receiver". Knowing this, are you going to whine about it if you buy it? It's much like buying a Subaru and complaining that AWD can't be turned-off. I own an 867 and wish it had a front USB connection. It doesn't, I knew that before I bought it, so I'm not going to a forum and complain about it. There may be a way to add the ability to shut-off the volume bar with a firmware update, but that small point doesn't detract from a wonderful AVR.

Brilliant analogy, a hardware feature and a simple firmware update. Seriously?

It is a wonderful AVR I totally agree, and i understand its a minor inconvenience for some but it is more so for others. I'm sorry if this has been beaten to death. This will be my first Yamaha and it's the only thing that bothers me about the 67 line. However for the money, I agree it can't be beat.

If Costco anywhere near me had the RX-V871 for $489 like others have, it would be worth the extra $100 just to turn off the display, agree or not it would be worth it to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Me too. That why I think this complaint is hilarious. People would not buy certain receivers because it lacked OSD volume. Now its the other way. I really don't see the importance of it either way. I have 3 a/v receivers and none have osd volume. I can see the receiver display just fine and don't need it.

I can easily see the receiver as well, that's the point. It should be up to the owner wether or not they want that feature enabled. Late at night I'm constantly adjusting the volume to be respectful of the fact I'm in an apartment. I would prefer not to have a large black bar pop up constantly while enjoying a movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

Well the H/K 7550HD I used for a while also had it and it also was no bother. I sure would not let something this minor stop me from buying one of these AVR's especially for what they are selling for. I mean under $400 delivered is a bargain. And to think it is possible that an update may occur to solve it. Worth the gamble IMO.

I agree with you, it's a steal for the money, and if none of my local (within 100 miles) Costco's have the 871 by the end of this week I will buy the 867 and learn to live with it.

I do apologize to everyone if it has been beaten to death, I wasn't trying to annoy anyone nor belittle anyone that has this wonderful AVR.
My issue is with the geniuses at Yamaha that decided to take away a feature that some of us find useful.
Im done with the issue and will probably be buying my own because it is a fantastic AVR for the money.
post #555 of 1193 Old 09-27-2011, 10:27 AM

Ok moving on from the what I now see as the crazy volume discussion that I wish I never entered into for fear the loyalist are going to toilet paper my house.

mastergogo: at $1000 for Front/L/R/C I would (and am) upgrade to some Klipsch speakers they're very nice for home theatre. I'm upgrading my floor standing Klipsch now to in wall Klipsch so it's not exactly what you're looking for but I would recomend you listen to some.

Also you want to keep in mind that it's going to be best if you match the timbre of all the speakers in your theatre so you have smooth transitions between speakers.

TC-P50G10, Klipsch KG-4, Klipsch Architectural Refrence 5000 series speakers, Onkyo TX-NR636, BDT-210

Optoma HD79, RX-V2090, HTPC,RX-V867
post #556 of 1193 Old 09-27-2011, 12:18 PM

Zuk109, alaini, Are you certain it is only a firmware update? I'm not so sure. You evidently don't understand what I'm trying to say to you. Be prepared, read the AVS forum. If you're interested in a certain bit of technology, invest some time and read about it. The OSD volume display has been talked about for a long time. Some are complaining about it before even buying it. Do your research and buy what appeals to you. If you even think it's going to bother you, don't buy. If you bought a 867 without checking it out, sell it. Get something that is more palatable to you. Perhaps you will enjoy something that isn't as dependable without that annoying OSD.
post #557 of 1193 Old 09-27-2011, 01:55 PM

Liked: 11
I was aware of the OSD volume before my purchase. No big deal in my opinion. What I wasn't aware of is that there is no way to determine what audio decoder is in use without going through 4-5 OSD button clicks. I upgraded from a RX-V905 circa 1999-2000 that had the decoder status right on the LCD, so I grew accustomed to feeling "happy" when I saw the decoder kick in on HD channels or DVDs. I think that issue is more annoying to me than the OSD volume.

I realize this next section might be more for the HTPC forum, but figured I might try here as well. Feel free to ignore below if you don't have a HTPC.

Anyway, I can live with both of those once I get my HTPC set up. My current challenge is getting my bitstreaming working. The best I've been able to get so far is a DTS signal from TMT3. TMT5 blanks my screen out when I launch a Bluray title. It doesn't come back until I reboot or log the session off with VNC viewer. Has anyone ran into screen blanking issues with the 867 and a GeForce GT 430? I have not yet tried the HDMI directly to the TV, but if I do that, I will lose the ability to bitstream to the audio to the 867.

One other issue I have is my volume down on the 867 is the same IR signal as Mute for my media center remote. So when I decrease volume it also mutes it. I must decrease in increments of 2 which cuts the sound out and can be very annoying. Anyone know of a workaround for that?
post #558 of 1193 Old 09-27-2011, 03:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stettin View Post

What I wasn't aware of is that there is no way to determine what audio decoder is in use without going through 4-5 OSD button clicks.

All it takes is one button on the remote, the "info" button, and a glance at the FP display..
post #559 of 1193 Old 09-27-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferrick View Post

Zuk109, alaini, Are you certain it is only a firmware update? I'm not so sure. You evidently don't understand what I'm trying to say to you. Be prepared, read the AVS forum. If you're interested in a certain bit of technology, invest some time and read about it. The OSD volume display has been talked about for a long time. Some are complaining about it before even buying it. Do your research and buy what appeals to you. If you even think it's going to bother you, don't buy. If you bought a 867 without checking it out, sell it. Get something that is more palatable to you. Perhaps you will enjoy something that isn't as dependable without that annoying OSD.

Another brilliant retort. Your just a wealth of knowledge aren't you, lmao.

If this discussion annoys you, move on.
post #560 of 1193 Old 09-27-2011, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stettin View Post

One other issue I have is my volume down on the 867 is the same IR signal as Mute for my media center remote. So when I decrease volume it also mutes it. I must decrease in increments of 2 which cuts the sound out and can be very annoying. Anyone know of a workaround for that?

The 867 supports two remote control IDs, so I would try switching to ID2 in the Advanced Setup Menu (p.119 of the manual).
post #561 of 1193 Old 09-27-2011, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I have a Harmony 880 Remote. I cannot figure out how to get it to control the on screen functions? I programmed the button on my harmony and it will pull the on screen menu up but it will not allow me to move around with the direction buttons? Anyone else having same problem? Same thing on the Net input.
post #562 of 1193 Old 09-27-2011, 07:48 PM

I just got some features setup for the first time on my RX-V867 (internet radio, media sharing on the local network, 12v sub trigger). Pretty nice!

Is there a way to filter the list of internet radio services? I'd like to skip Rhapsody and Napster since I don't use them. When I hit the "net" button, it scrolls through all of them and I was wondering if there was a way to make it skip the ones I don't use.

Thanks!
post #563 of 1193 Old 09-27-2011, 10:46 PM

Okay, I now have a problem with my RX-V867. I was watching a Blu-Ray and the sound started sounding way quiet. I determined that only the center channel was playing. I had to turn up the volume loud to hear any dialogue, but then when the movie played loud things like gunshots it was way louder. 7-channel puts sound to all speakers at expected levels, but Dolby Pro-Logic seems to only run the center channel.

Come to think of it, the display on the unit seemed to change to "Straight" on its own without my input, from Dolby Pro-Logic.

I had already updated the firmware, but I tried it again just to rule it out. The unit still does it. Playing a different Blu-Ray, I get low-volume sound from the center channel only. Actually, I get surround sound some of the time, like when I cycle through the surround decode options, and then it goes back to center channel only. Actually while 7 channel music does make the sound come through all the speakers, it's way too quiet for the OSD indicated volume levels.

Another symptom is that I seem to recall 7 channel speakers being one of the options as I scrolled through the surround decode options with the remote, but they are not there now and I can only get them to show up with the music button.

I don't know if it's related, but earlier tonight I got an IP address conflict message, which I attributed to an external HD had plugged into the USB port of my HTPC on the same network. I unplugged that after I got the message and before I had this receiver issue.

Any ideas as to what I'm experiencing? It seems like something is wrong, and I'll need to either speak to Newegg or Yamaha.

Thanks.
post #564 of 1193 Old 09-27-2011, 10:58 PM

Also, this is the screen I get for the web interface, which seems to be lacking some things compared to another I saw posted.

[EDIT] I'm running Firmware Version 2.19, and I did a "restore all" to the factory defaults. No change.
LL
post #565 of 1193 Old 09-28-2011, 06:37 AM

Liked: 11
rdgrimes: thanks for the decoder info tip!
kriktsemaj99: thanks for the info about ID:2 on the remote

I went to check out the decoder info, which worked great. It seems there is another overlap, the info button is the same as skip forward on MCE! One thing I'm not sure on is how my Harmony 880 can switch to ID:2. I might have to open up a support ticket to get that working. I'll have to play with it more tonight when I get home.

mc4saints: For the Harmony 880, you will have to edit the default profile of the Yamaha to map the up and down buttons properly. I can't remember what was flipped, but if you go to edit custom buttons you will see the issue.
post #566 of 1193 Old 09-28-2011, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT_Laggard View Post

Also, this is the screen I get for the web interface, which seems to be lacking some things compared to another I saw posted.

I'm afraid that's all you get on the 867. It doesn't support network control like some other models. This year Yamaha moved full network control down to the 671 model, so you could consider that if it's an important feature for you.

Edit: Note that network control is supported on the 867, just not through the web browser interface.
post #567 of 1193 Old 09-28-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

I'm afraid that's all you get on the 867. It doesn't support network control like some other models. This year Yamaha moved full network control down to the 671 model, so you could consider that if it's an important feature for you.

Thanks for the reply. It's not an important feature to me (I only tried it out of curiosity). I'm already approaching overwhelmed by all the features.

I boxed up my RX-V867 and got an RMA number from Newegg. So another $21 shipping cost to chip away at what I thought I was saving with the coupon code I used. I supposedly saved $80, so no need to get soured quite yet assuming I the next one stays working.
post #568 of 1193 Old 09-28-2011, 07:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Okay, I now have a problem with my RX-V867. I was watching a Blu-Ray and the sound started sounding way quiet. I determined that only the center channel was playing. I had to turn up the volume loud to hear any dialogue, but then when the movie played loud things like gunshots it was way louder. 7-channel puts sound to all speakers at expected levels, but Dolby Pro-Logic seems to only run the center channel.

Come to think of it, the display on the unit seemed to change to "Straight" on its own without my input, from Dolby Pro-Logic.

I had already updated the firmware, but I tried it again just to rule it out. The unit still does it. Playing a different Blu-Ray, I get low-volume sound from the center channel only. Actually, I get surround sound some of the time, like when I cycle through the surround decode options, and then it goes back to center channel only. Actually while 7 channel music does make the sound come through all the speakers, it's way too quiet for the OSD indicated volume levels.

Another symptom is that I seem to recall 7 channel speakers being one of the options as I scrolled through the surround decode options with the remote, but they are not there now and I can only get them to show up with the music button.

I don't know if it's related, but earlier tonight I got an IP address conflict message, which I attributed to an external HD had plugged into the USB port of my HTPC on the same network. I unplugged that after I got the message and before I had this receiver issue.

Any ideas as to what I'm experiencing? It seems like something is wrong, and I'll need to either speak to Newegg or Yamaha.

Thanks.

Why are you using Dolby Pro Logic and 7 channel stereo with Blu Ray? Shouldn't you be getting TrueHD or DTS-MA? Is your blu ray player configured and connected correctly? Have you run YPAO to calibrate your speakers? I dont even have that receiver but I know your system isn't set up right.

Afro GT
post #569 of 1193 Old 09-28-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Why are you using Dolby Pro Logic and 7 channel stereo with Blu Ray? Shouldn't you be getting TrueHD or DTS-MA? Is your blu ray player configured and connected correctly? Have you run YPAO to calibrate your speakers? I dont even have that receiver but I know your system isn't set up right.

I did run YPAO. I don't know what surround I'm supposed to be getting, but I know it was working before as I described and it's not anymore. My Blu-Ray is an LG BD650 and I couldn't find any settings to adjust the audio output to ensure it was correct. It only gets connected one way, HDMI. I was getting proper 5.1 sound using the Dolby PL when it was working. I only tried 7-channel stereo to see if those speakers (amps) would still work, and that's now the only time I get output from anything but the center channel.

Something's wrong with my unit. If I had it set up with the wrong surround sound, I think it should still have given me some sort of surround sound (and certainly shouldn't "used to have" done it and then stopped in an escalating failure type of a way. I'll have to sort out the configurations on the replacement unit.
post #570 of 1193 Old 09-28-2011, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did run YPAO. I don't know what surround I'm supposed to be getting, but I know it was working before as I described and it's not anymore. My Blu-Ray is an LG BD650 and I couldn't find any settings to adjust the audio output to ensure it was correct. It only gets connected one way, HDMI. I was getting proper 5.1 sound using the Dolby PL when it was working. I only tried 7-channel stereo to see if those speakers (amps) would still work, and that's now the only time I get output from anything but the center channel.

Something's wrong with my unit. If I had it set up with the wrong surround sound, I think it should still have given me some sort of surround sound (and certainly shouldn't "used to have" done it and then stopped in an escalating failure type of a way. I'll have to sort out the configurations on the replacement unit.

The audio output on that Bd player needs to set to bitstream in order for the 867 to decode the correct format. Wit hte sorce set to bitstream you should have been getting DD true HD or DTS-master HD from the 867. Not Dolby Pro- logic
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V867 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V867 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page