The Official Yamaha RX-V867 Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 1188 Old 06-17-2011, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
FYI- for those who don't want to wait for their stuff, I was able to get a 867 for less then what Newegg was selling it for (including the promo code) at a local chain store. They had 3 new in a box on closeout. Even with tax it was less then Newegg. BTW- I think Gregg Lemond was one of the best American cyclists ever

NE Ohio HT Nutt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1188 Old 06-18-2011, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Ok, I have everything hooked up now, PC, ps3, bd and dvr (via component).

The PC came up without a problem on HDMI 3, it is a radeon 4600, probably 2 years old. It started at 29hz, but I set it to 1080 60, no problem. My last tv had a lot of problems with the hdmi switching and the pc would go into a nearly dead state (fixed by un plugging), supposedly from the pc screen saver. Both are Panasonic Plasmas. HDMI is not a good connector for pcs and tvs, power saving screen savers do not work. VGA maxes out at 1280x1080 or something like that on my g25.

The ps3 on hdmi 2 was turned on by accident and was working when I switched to it.

The others just worked out of the box.

I really like this receiver, as expected a lot more than the Pioneer 1020 that it replaced.

I figured out how to set the net radio presets, so I don't need to have the tv on to switch stations. The ipod app is a bit primitive, but it works for things like volume. Once you set bookmarks you can change the net radio via the app. I'd like to be able to enter urls from the device web page like I could on the pioneer.

Best of all, no complaints from the wife. The projector is happy too.

I have a roku and wd tv that I have not tried yet.

The cables are either monoprice or something inferior, most 2 years old. The projector is a 30 foot cable.

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like me to try.

Greg
post #33 of 1188 Old 06-18-2011, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKoprowski View Post

BTW- I think Gregg Lemond was one of the best American cyclists ever

It took me a while to figure this one out, but I have to agree!
post #34 of 1188 Old 06-18-2011, 05:30 PM

Liked: 10
Has anybody else had issues connecting Xbox 360 to this receiver? I have tried different ports, different cables and I only get audio.
post #35 of 1188 Old 06-18-2011, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Please send me your xbox and all your games and I will test it!
post #36 of 1188 Old 06-20-2011, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Set up the 867 last night. It is replacing an Onkyo 674. Great sound- has a bit more "soundstage" then the Onkyo. Few things disappoint me though and not sure if it is enough to take it back or not:

1. There is no way to disable the onscreen display for the volume control. Kind of annoying to see that in the middle of the screen.

2. There is always a background wallpaper. I have a customized screen I made that is the standard wallpaper for my projector. You can't see it now- as soon as the receiver is turned on the receivers wallpaper kicks in.

3. The auto speaker setup keeps telling me my speakers are out of phase even though they are not. No big deal I guess since I am reading this is a common occurrence and mostly do to how your speakers are placed.

4. The negative volume thing is confusing to ex Onkyo users. LOL

5. Not Yamaha's fault, but I discovered you cannot use the online Sirius unless you pay an additional fee even if you are a lifetime subscriber. I can listen online with my computer, but I cannot log on through the receiver. Apparently as a Sirius lifetime subscriber I just get the basic online service through a PC and that's it unless I want to pay $2.99 a month.

6. I can hit one button on the Onkyo remote and it will display the sound info immediately (what hertz, how many channels et). The Yamaha will do it but you have to go through a few menus onscreen.

7. I have not had time to test it yet, but from what I read in the Yamaha manual it will not apply any bass management to the analog ins. No big dea for me yet, but if my Oppo dvd/sacd player (which does sacd over multipcm) ever breaks my backup Sony sacd player only has analog outs and this will be an issue.

8. Updating the firmware should be easier then it is. Not sure why they couldn't incorporate it into the GUI.

9. Not having a paper manual is annoying to me. Had to sit with my laptop next to me while setting it up. For those who do not have a laptop or other portable devices this is a little cumbersome.

I know most of these are just little nitpicks. Overall it is a better sounding receiver then what I have and it runs much cooler then the Onkyo. I will do more testing later this week. Can't beat the receiver for the price though. I got it for $399.95 at a local chain store.

NE Ohio HT Nutt
post #37 of 1188 Old 06-20-2011, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKoprowski View Post

Set up the 867 last night. It is replacing an Onkyo 674. Great sound- has a bit more "soundstage" then the Onkyo. Few things disappoint me though and not sure if it is enough to take it back or not:

1. There is no way to disable the onscreen display for the volume control. Kind of annoying to see that in the middle of the screen.

2. There is always a background wallpaper. I have a customized screen I made that is the standard wallpaper for my projector. You can't see it now- as soon as the receiver is turned on the receivers wallpaper kicks in.

3. The auto speaker setup keeps telling me my speakers are out of phase even though they are not. No big deal I guess since I am reading this is a common occurrence and mostly do to how your speakers are placed.

4. The negative volume thing is confusing to ex Onkyo users. LOL

5. Not Yamaha's fault, but I discovered you cannot use the online Sirius unless you pay an additional fee even if you are a lifetime subscriber. I can listen online with my computer, but I cannot log on through the receiver. Apparently as a Sirius lifetime subscriber I just get the basic online service through a PC and that's it unless I want to pay $2.99 a month.

6. I can hit one button on the Onkyo remote and it will display the sound info immediately (what hertz, how many channels et). The Yamaha will do it but you have to go through a few menus onscreen.

7. I have not had time to test it yet, but from what I read in the Yamaha manual it will not apply any bass management to the analog ins. No big dea for me yet, but if my Oppo dvd/sacd player (which does sacd over multipcm) ever breaks my backup Sony sacd player only has analog outs and this will be an issue.

8. Updating the firmware should be easier then it is. Not sure why they couldn't incorporate it into the GUI.

9. Not having a paper manual is annoying to me. Had to sit with my laptop next to me while setting it up. For those who do not have a laptop or other portable devices this is a little cumbersome.

I know most of these are just little nitpicks. Overall it is a better sounding receiver then what I have and it runs much cooler then the Onkyo. I will do more testing later this week. Can't beat the receiver for the price though. I got it for $399.95 at a local chain store.

Thanks for sharing. I've been contemplating purchasing this unit.

The volume thing is a HUGE distraction as far as I'm concerned...enough so to maybe hold off until they get rid of that. The analog inputs bypass all processing (as in all Yamaha receivers) so you're out of luck there if your source component does not have bass management.

How has the picture quality been through the HDMI out put for 1080p signals? Does it pass 24Hz without a problem?

LCD is the MP3 of the TV world
post #38 of 1188 Old 06-20-2011, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robi1138 View Post

Thanks for sharing. I've been contemplating purchasing this unit.

The volume thing is a HUGE distraction as far as I'm concerned...enough so to maybe hold off until they get rid of that. The analog inputs bypass all processing (as in all Yamaha receivers) so you're out of luck there if your source component does not have bass management.

How has the picture quality been through the HDMI out put for 1080p signals? Does it pass 24Hz without a problem?

Well, you'd better hurry because it's going to be gone soon. I doubt that they'll be changing the on screen volume. I've heard the exact opposite complaint about receivers that don't have it. The real downside to it for me is that now my wife will see how much I turn it down when she tells me that it's too loud!

1080p24 works fine for me. I'm using the dual output to a tv or projector.
post #39 of 1188 Old 06-21-2011, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

Well, you'd better hurry because it's going to be gone soon. I doubt that they'll be changing the on screen volume. I've heard the exact opposite complaint about receivers that don't have it. The real downside to it for me is that now my wife will see how much I turn it down when she tells me that it's too loud!

1080p24 works fine for me. I'm using the dual output to a tv or projector.

Cool...thanks!

LCD is the MP3 of the TV world
post #40 of 1188 Old 06-22-2011, 02:07 AM

Is there anything the newer 671 has (besides the front USB port) that the 867 doesn't have that would make it preferable?
post #41 of 1188 Old 06-22-2011, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does the remote have discrete on/off power buttons or is it a power toggle? The Harmony database only has the toggle. Kind of a deal breaker for me if not. Otherwise it looks great.

Greg
post #42 of 1188 Old 06-22-2011, 10:52 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Chemist View Post

Does the remote have discrete on/off power buttons or is it a power toggle? The Harmony database only has the toggle. Kind of a deal breaker for me if not. Otherwise it looks great.

Here is a pic of the remote-

http://store.audioholics.com/shopima...RemoteView.jpg
post #43 of 1188 Old 06-22-2011, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

The remote does not have a discrete off, but that does not mean that it doesn't exist. I feel your pain...
post #44 of 1188 Old 06-23-2011, 06:48 AM

For anyone browsing this thread to possibly buy one of these, Newegg has the RX-V867 for 429.99 with promo code EMCKDHG22 today! I just pulled the trigger.
post #45 of 1188 Old 06-23-2011, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

I got mine for $399.95 at HHgregg locally. Came to $423 with tax. I would try there too.

NE Ohio HT Nutt
post #46 of 1188 Old 06-23-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGT35R View Post

For anyone browsing this thread to possibly buy one of these, Newegg has the RX-V867 for 429.99 with promo code EMCKDHG22 today! I just pulled the trigger.

Thank you for this, it was because of this discount that I ordered this from NewEgg just a few mintues ago. So what are your thoughts on this reciever? I am coming from a Pioneer VSX-917V. With the Pioneer I didn't have HDMI audio which was a real turn off I am excited to see what my system can really do now. What do you think of my setup? Is there anything that could use improvement?

My entertainment setup:
TV-56" Samsung DLP 1080P
Playstation 3 and a Sony BDPS570 for Blu-Rays

~Speakers Setup~
Receiver-Yamaha RX-V867 (On the way...)
Front-Polk Audio Monitor 70
Center-Polk Audio CS2
Surround/Rear-Polk Audio Monitor 60
Sub-Polk Audio PSW505 12-Inch Powered Subwoofer

Note: First time posting here so getting used to the forum rules, hope I can post my equipment setup.
post #47 of 1188 Old 06-23-2011, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

The remote does not have a discrete off, but that does not mean that it doesn't exist. I feel your pain...

I was hoping someone with a Harmony remote had played around. The Yamaha RX-Z11 has discrete on and off commands. Any RX-V867 owners that have a Harmony remote willing to try it out?

Greg
post #48 of 1188 Old 06-23-2011, 11:57 AM

I posted this in the R671 thread and thought I would post it here as well:

Quote:
So has anyone been able to summarize the advantages of the RX-v671 over the RX-v867?

From all of the threads I've read here on both models, the 671 is newer with:

1. Better GUI than the 867
2. USB port (867 does not)
3. Better Networking capability?

Is that pretty much it or are there more?

Pricing Differences:

Vendor ------------- 671 ---- 867

Yamaha MSRP: ---- $599 ---- $899
NewEgg: ----------- $549 ---- $429
BestBuy: ---------- $549 ---- $799

So, the 671 is newer, with a better price, unless you buy from NewEgg, in which case, the older 867 is better priced. However, why is the older 867 priced higher at BestBuy and have a higher MSRP from Yamaha? Even though it's older, is it a better unit?

If the 671 is a better unit, I have no problem paying the additional $120, but I just want to make sure I get the better unit, and I'm having a hard time comparing/understanding the differences between the two.

post #49 of 1188 Old 06-23-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strife1013 View Post

Thank you for this, it was because of this discount that I ordered this from NewEgg just a few mintues ago. So what are your thoughts on this reciever? I am coming from a Pioneer VSX-917V. With the Pioneer I didn't have HDMI audio which was a real turn off I am excited to see what my system can really do now. What do you think of my setup? Is there anything that could use improvement?

My entertainment setup:
TV-56" Samsung DLP 1080P
Playstation 3 and a Sony BDPS570 for Blu-Rays

~Speakers Setup~
Center-Polk Audio CS2

Note: First time posting here so getting used to the forum rules, hope I can post my equipment setup.

I am basically running the same speaker setup as you but two BIC PL-200 Subs. I had the V667 before this one and I absolutely loved it. I was intrigued by the network access on the 867 which is why I went with it.
post #50 of 1188 Old 06-23-2011, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone find how you need to switch surround modes tedious? I hooked up my Xbox 360 for the first time to the 867 and was trying to change Dolby Digital to Dolby Pro Logic II so I can use my rear speakers and could not do it using the buttons on the remote or the small knob on the receiver. Those only switched the Cinema DSP modes. I had to use the GUI and go through the options to enable surround modes and then I could pick Dolby Pro Logic, DTS Neo etc. I find this rather annoying. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. On my Onkyo I could just use right/left arrows on my remote and toggle through all available surround modes.

NE Ohio HT Nutt
post #51 of 1188 Old 06-23-2011, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
^^^And just pressing the sur. decode button multiple times did not do this? Don't have one but thats the way it normally worked on Yamaha's.
post #52 of 1188 Old 06-23-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobNH View Post

I posted this in the R671 thread and thought I would post it here as well:

Except the 867 at NewEgg is on sale for this week, it goes back up after that (I got the email)
post #53 of 1188 Old 06-23-2011, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strife1013 View Post
T
~Speakers Setup~
Center-Polk Audio CS2

I use the Polk 50/cs20/30 and a couple of Yahama for height, 12" Velodyne. It is with a projector and sounds great in a not very big room, 18x12? All the Polk speakers are detected as large.

Try the opening battle scene of Master and Commander if you want to hear those 60s light up.
post #54 of 1188 Old 06-23-2011, 02:46 PM

I just had a Denon AVR-2112 delivered for $500 but then I started wondering if the RX-V867 would give me more input/output flexibility. On the other hand, the Denon has Audyssey MultEQ XT, a 3 yr warranty, and AirPlay. (AirPlay is not important for me but my teenagers might like it. Actually, maybe I shouldn't make it easy for them to play their music!)

Anyone do a serious comparison of the 2 receivers? I have owned Yamaha receivers for almost 35 years but the only Denon I owned (a CD Player) was a dud.

Thanks
post #55 of 1188 Old 06-23-2011, 04:07 PM

Does any one know if the HDMI video/audio is down converted to composite? I have all my TV set up for HDMI except one in the basement. I would like to have my HDMI sources convert so I can send them to my old TV.

I have a DTV DVR and I think they shut off the analog outs when the HDMI is in use.

Thx

Scott Wood
post #56 of 1188 Old 06-23-2011, 04:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 383
No A/V receiver can downconvert HDMI to composite.

Quote:
I have a DTV DVR and I think they shut off the analog outs when the HDMI is in use.
DirecTV doesn't shut off any of the outputs of their DVRs. They are active simultaneously. I know mine are. You're gonna get black bars above and below the picture using composite and an old TV though.

Afro GT
post #57 of 1188 Old 06-23-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
No A/V receiver can downconvert HDMI to composite.

DirecTV doesn't shut off any of the outputs of their DVRs. They are active simultaneously. I know mine are. You're gonna get black bars above and below the picture using composite and an old TV though.
I will have to try that with the new DVR. My old HR-20 DVR worked like that for a long time and then it quit working. I thought I read somewhere that DTV was told they had to shut them down.

Thx for the reply

Scott Wood
post #58 of 1188 Old 06-23-2011, 05:14 PM

Just pulled the plug and bought the receiver from Newegg. I also bought a Emotiva Audio XPA-3 Three Channel Power Amplifier.

At least now I can upgrade in the future without having to get rid of a good high power amp. At least I hope it is a good reliable amp.

I bought a HK 8000 receiver for my last receiver because it had pre outs and main in's. The receiver went bad under warranty and they replaced it with a 7200 which has no main in's. I tried to get something else at the time but this was all they would offer. The amp section in these are great but the electronics are now outdated.

Looking forward to setting this up. I also am going to set up 3 tv's with this using HDMI. First time doing this for HDMI. Hope it works well. Runs are less than 50 ft.

Scott Wood
post #59 of 1188 Old 06-23-2011, 05:50 PM

I had the Sony 1000 for 2 years and am very happy with it.
But I also got a Emailtoday for the V867 for $429 and free shipping.
I thought this receiver came on the market last fall?But it does not matter since it has VTuner built into the receiver so I can Upload thousands of radio stations without a problem.....
Why use a Tuner since the receiver comes with vTuner???
I feel this receiver can pickup 99% of the stations in the States,I am useing
a table top internet radio and it was the best money I have spent since the
v867 came out.............JT
post #60 of 1188 Old 06-23-2011, 06:19 PM

so are you guys saying that the harmony remote will not work with the 867?
Kind of a deal killer for me if thats the case
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V867 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V867 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page