Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1193 Old 10-11-2011, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnojham View Post

how are you changing the impedance of your subs from 2ohm to 4ohm? sounds difficult to me. all i know is series and parallel wiring. and by 'know' i mean, kinda have an idea. maybe if i can understand this, it will help me understand what im trying to figure out for my situation.

The subs in my car have dual voice coils (DVC) rated at 4 ohms each, so my options are

4 ohm load
http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchf...4-ohm_mono.jpg

1 ohm load
http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchf...no-low-imp.jpg

I was tired when I wrote my post. I forgot I went down to 1 ohm from 4 ohm in parallel mode.

But back on the topic at hand, my home speakers are rated nominally at 8 ohms but that can work with an amp that is looking for a 4 ohm load. But it is better to use an 8 ohm amp. See http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu.../imped.html#c2

This receiver is designed for 8 ohms and the 4 ohm mode is like a fallback mode for people with 4 ohm speakers, but you aren't going to get the performance of 8 ohm mode with 8 ohm speakers, but in total power output and in frequency range if the technical descriptions I have read on what manufacturers do in this mode are correct.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1193 Old 10-12-2011, 02:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi

Ihave this question:

I am setting up this receiver for a friend of mine:

Does the IR out jack in the back relays IR signal from the front sensor? I can check later this week end when I go to his house but would like to know beforehand.
Thanks in advance

Frantz

Frantz
post #633 of 1193 Old 10-13-2011, 07:01 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey3times View Post

I am trying to get my PC to connect to my Yamaha 867. I think I am having handshake issues...not sure about whether I should try EDID overrides.

From my video card (tried both a GeForce 210 and a Radeon 5450) HDMI out, I use a monoprice cable into the HDMI #3 port (also tried all the other HDMI ports) on the 867. From the HDMI out of the 867, I use a monoprice cable to the Sony LCD. Direct from CPU to Sony LCD via HDMI cable works fine.

Once I switch to HDMI #3 on the 867 I get a flashing HDMI logo on the front display of the 867. If I go into onscreen menu, info, video...I get signal info that flashes between nothing and 460p, 60hz. If I unplug the cables the 867 says 460p, 60hz (I guess this is the default for no signal). Eventually, the 867 will report an "unrecognizable signal" error on the TV.

When the video card is plugged into the 867, it won't even recognize the AVR or the TV - meaning I don't have the option of altering the display preferences in the driver software because it doesn't show up. If I plug the video card direct into the TV, it recognizes the TV and I can setup the video to display on the TV.

On the few occasions that I got it to work, the video card will recognize the Sony TV. The video card never sees the AVR as a display option.

I've tried different HDMI ports on all three components, different video cards, different cables, and all kinds of BIOS and AVR settings. I am stumped, but I think I have it narrowed to an issue with the AVR not being able to read the signal from the PC.

The one last thing I have to try is swapping out the HDMI cable that goes from the AVR to the TV. However, this is an HDMI 1.3 cable, so it should work.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

I hate to be critical, but why did you do all of that before trying a different HDMI cable?

That aside, I just got everything working from my Sapphire 5670 to the 867, out to a Vizio 47". I'm connecting in through HDMI in 1 and outputting from HDMI out 1. A few questions for troubleshooting..

1) do you get video on the BIOS screen before booting to the OS? What about safe mode?
2) does the video card work directly to the TV?
3) does the video card work directly to the TV with the AVR -> TV cable?

I had my own issues with an EVGA Geforce 430 GT, but that was only with a single application, TMT5 launching a bluray disc. The video would cut out on the AVR, but if I logged off or rebooted, it came back. I assume it was a video refresh change kicked off by launching the bluray content. The 5670 resolved that issue and now I can bitstream Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA.

One tip I have that I just figured out last night is that if you are sending DTS-HD MA, it will show up as just DTS if you have any of the movie cinema DSP programs selected. It was not until I hit "straight" that the info showed up as DTS-HD MA.
post #634 of 1193 Old 10-13-2011, 07:30 AM

Greetings Audiophiles,

Received the Yamaha RX-V867 in the mail yesterday from the Egg ($399 shipped). Set it up last night and thought I'd share some initial thoughts.

I was in the market for a new receiver and spent a week or two researching different models. I ultimately decided on the V867. Thanks to you all here for helping steering my decision. (Also considered the Yamaha RX-A700, RX-V667, and the Pioneer VSX-1021).

My Setup:
Yamaha RX-V867 - Energy Take Classic 5.1 (Main Room) - DVR Cable Box - Apple TV 2 - PS3 - Sony Bookshelf Speakers (Kitchen, zone 2)

Good:

- Sound. Very Solid. I have it paired with Energy’s (listed above) and it sounds fantastic. Setup was a breeze. I used the YPAO mic upon initial setup and it calibrated the unit for room size and speaker positions. It’ll work for now, maybe down the road I’ll tweak it a little bit.

- Network: Hooked it up via Cat5 connection. Upgraded to latest firmware using instructions found somewhere in this thread. Took roughly 20 mins for download and install. Enabled me to use Pandora (sweet) and ....

- iPhone/iPad/Android App: Since I already have the Apple TV, I didn’t feel like having AirPlay was a necessity. I ultimately decided on this unit over the Pioneer 1021 because I felt having a better receiver (in terms of quality, reliability, and sound) was more important that having AirPlay built in. I wish the 867 had it, but it wasn’t a dealbreaker for me. I downloaded the App for iPad and while it’s really good, I wish it was designed for iPad and not for iPhone. Still works fine, but it’s not completely polished looking. I gave it a test run and it does everything I’d expect it to do. I was able to switch sources, run Pandora, control speakers, etc. using only the app. (I ran music in Zone 2 (Pandora) while having Zone 1 tuned into Cable TV. Pretty cool.)

Bad:

- On Screen Volume/Sound Setting Display: Obviously, this is most common issue reported on this forum and possibly the only major flaw of this machine. People either love it or hate it. I only used it for a few hours last night and I'm not really liking it. In addition to volume, it also flashes the Surround Decoder/Sound settings if, for example, you change from Straight to Dolby. In the end, it wasn't enough for me to not buy the receiver. I knew of it going in and I felt like from a value standpoint, the 867 couldn’t be beat. (Note: Hello, Yamaha? Are you there? Please fix with Firmware. Thanks)

Remote: Yeah, it kind of stinks. Thinking about getting a Harmony Universal. Any suggestions?

Medium:

- On screen menus display (menus, settings, etc): Pretty basic. Does a nice job doing what you're trying to do, but it already looks dated compared to an Apple TV or other higher resolution interfaces. Not great, not terrible. That’s what you get for $400, I guess.

Conclusion:

Happy with the receiver. I only used it for a few hours last night but so far, so good. Will give it a more complete test run over the next day or two and will report back with findings.
post #635 of 1193 Old 10-13-2011, 11:28 AM

My 867 arrived yesterday. Installation should be interesting, given that I have no recent experience with AV equipment. For starters, I just have this general question: I'm getting ready to buy a TV, as well. My assumption is that, b/c the 867 has an Ethernet port, I don't need one on the TV in order to stream internet content to it via the receiver. True? Thank you.

Peter
post #636 of 1193 Old 10-13-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebusCannebus View Post

My assumption is that, b/c the 867 has an Ethernet port, I don't need one on the TV in order to stream internet content to it via the receiver. True?

The 867 ethernet port is used for the internet programs available on the receiver (pandora, rhapsody, napster, etc). When those are played, the guide will show up on your TV (outputted through HDMI to the TV). The advantage of having internet programs solely on the receiver is that you can run them without having a device like a internet-ready Blu-ray or TV turned on.

An internet ready TV (e.g., samsung), could have internet programs available as well (Youtube, netflix) - which would be separate from the receiver's programs.
post #637 of 1193 Old 10-14-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnojham View Post

guys,
i have the 867
i built some towers (dayton8's which are awesome)
towers are 4ohm, so i switched the 867 to 6ohm mode.
page 18 of the manual says "when the unit is configured for 6ohm speakers, 4ohm speakers can be also used for the front speakers"
so, im cool there

potential problem:
i am ready to build a center channel and some surrounds.
wanting to build 3 of the dayton 3. they are also 4ohm.
each cabinet has 2 drivers. each driver is 50 watts RMS/75 watts max, SPL: 88 dB 1W/1m. they will be wired in parallel. info on the diy page for the speakers state the speakers are about 89 dB 1W/1m. i would post a link to the diy page, but i dont have enough posts, sorry

when i was researching the receivers, i had a big concern about driving 4ohm speakers. most suggestions were to not worry much about the speaker ratings considering the price point i was at, but i erred on the side of caution and got the 867 because of the advertised ability to handle 4ohm.

so, how worried should i be now with adding a 4ohm center and 4ohm surrounds?
not knowing much about how everything works, im under the impression that the surrounds wont get nearly as much work as the fronts, so the 4ohm load isnt much of a concern for the surrounds. the center however, im guessing might be more of a problem, but again, i have no idea.
i will be using the setup for music as well as movies and current music volume can reach -10db at times (depending on mood).
i know one of the 867 output configurations is 2.1 (right?) which would eliminate all concerns about the surrounds and center (right?)

anyway, basically, on a scale of 1-10, 10 being terrified, how worried overall should i be about using 4ohm center and surrounds with my 867?

thanks in advance

hey all
i spoke to yamaha regarding my situation, figure i would share the info:

i am generally a hard person to convince, and i feel comfortable with the info from yamaha, so should be good to go. if it sounds crazy, please chime in.
tech told me that when you do the auto setup (YPAO or whatever it is), the receiver will detect the impedance of the speakers and set the outputs accordingly. he said if you set the speaker impedance manually, the front mains will get a 6ohm voltage while the other channels will get 8ohm. but, he said that if you do an auto cal, the receiver will change all channels accordingly, which is better.
he also said that if you hook up 4ohm and leave it on 8ohm setting, the unit will shut down eventually based on a volume setting. if the auto cal was never performed, i do not know how the receiver would know to cut unit off at a certain volume however, and if auto cal was done to set the voltages properly why it would ever shut it off, so i may have to call them back and understand that better. it made sense when i was on the phone for some reason.
anyway, im going to test it out. if anything bad happens, i will let you know.
post #638 of 1193 Old 10-14-2011, 03:55 PM

I just got rid of my cable boxes because it was too expensive, I switched to basic cable and now the coaxial comes straight from the wall. Is there an input to put that into the V867 and then it could put it to the TV by hdmi like usual? If not what kind of setup/options do I have at this point?
post #639 of 1193 Old 10-14-2011, 04:15 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by maesterjay View Post

I just got rid of my cable boxes because it was too expensive, I switched to basic cable and now the coaxial comes straight from the wall. Is there an input to put that into the V867 and then it could put it to the TV by hdmi like usual? If not what kind of setup/options do I have at this point?

I believe you will have to connect the cable coax from the wall to the TV then go from the TV to the receiver via the existing HDMI connection b/w the 2.
post #640 of 1193 Old 10-14-2011, 05:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Yep, you can connect the cable coax to the TV. If you have an older flat panel (non 3D capable) TV then connect the optical out from the TV to the receiver for audio.

Its a pretty simple setup.

Afro GT
post #641 of 1193 Old 10-16-2011, 01:12 PM

Just updated to 2.19,,,,,wonder what the upgrade will do.
Just love my Internet radio {Vtuner}........JT
post #642 of 1193 Old 10-20-2011, 10:24 AM

I just got my 867 about a month ago and I have a 25ft HDMI cable connected to the TV (via the ARC port). I've noticed that when I'm watching something from an outside source (like the cable box) vs using my TV to stream, I sometimes get the screen going black for 2 or 3 seconds while the sound continues with no interruption. It will then restore the picture and go on like nothing happened.

Does this sound like a common HDMI problem (like from a cheap HDMI cable) or could this be an issue with the receiver itself? Anyone seen this or have any insight?
post #643 of 1193 Old 10-20-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncaruana View Post

I just got my 867 about a month ago and I have a 25ft HDMI cable connected to the TV (via the ARC port). I've noticed that when I'm watching something from an outside source (like the cable box) vs using my TV to stream, I sometimes get the screen going black for 2 or 3 seconds while the sound continues with no interruption. It will then restore the picture and go on like nothing happened.

Does this sound like a common HDMI problem (like from a cheap HDMI cable) or could this be an issue with the receiver itself? Anyone seen this or have any insight?

My first suspect would be the HDMI cable. If there is a possibility of using a shorter, or even a different HDMI cable, try that first. I don't think you need an expensive cable, but there are bad ones from time to time. I've had bad 6 foot cables. With the 25' length you are multiplying your chances of it being bad. The longer the cable, the higher the resistance in it.
post #644 of 1193 Old 10-21-2011, 02:36 PM

Well, went back and exchanged the 25ft for a new one...same result. At the same time, I got a 6ft (can't hurt to have a spare anyway). At first I thought that it had gone away, but same problem.

So, now I'm not sure if it's the cable or the receiver. Both cables I used are supposed to be on the 1.4 spec.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good 25-30ft HDMI cable? From monoprice or any place like that? May buy a high end one at Best Buy to prove out whether it's the cable or the receiver in the mean time.
post #645 of 1193 Old 10-22-2011, 05:07 AM

Quote:

Well, went back and exchanged the 25ft for a new one...same result. At the same time, I got a 6ft (can't hurt to have a spare anyway). At first I thought that it had gone away, but same problem.

So, now I'm not sure if it's the cable or the receiver. Both cables I used are supposed to be on the 1.4 spec.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good 25-30ft HDMI cable? From monoprice or any place like that? May buy a high end one at Best Buy to prove out whether it's the cable or the receiver in the mean time.

So this problem reproduces with both new 25ft and 6ft HDMI cables? The odds of having three bad cables is not very high, so I would begin to suspect something's funky with the receiver.

Also, if the ARC function is enabled on the receiver, try disabling it. And try other HDMI inputs on the TV as well.
post #646 of 1193 Old 10-22-2011, 05:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:

Not enough information. Does this happen only when switching inputs or when program content changes on the source device? Or does it happen during a program with no user input?

You're describing a simple HDMI handshake, but WHEN it happens is important. The HDMI cable from the source to the AVR is also involved.
post #647 of 1193 Old 10-22-2011, 05:55 AM

Quote:

I've had very good experiences with cables, wire, and everything else from Monoprice. Fast shipping and great pricing too. The only defective HDMI I've ever had was with a very expensive name brand that begins with a Monst.
post #648 of 1193 Old 10-22-2011, 06:26 AM

I actually need the ARC capability so will hang on to that as long as I can. As to when the black out happens, it simply happens during a program with no user input. You're watching a show and then suddenly the screen is black.
post #649 of 1193 Old 10-22-2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:

I actually need the ARC capability so will hang on to that as long as I can. As to when the black out happens, it simply happens during a program with no user input. You're watching a show and then suddenly the screen is black.

On several of the monoprice HDMI cables with long lengths there is the following note:

Quote:

IMPORTANT NOTE! This cable is mono-direction. Before using this cable, make sure that the Input side is connected to the source device and that the Output side is connected to the display or other destination device.

You may want to go with HDMI over Cat5. That might get you the extra distance. You may also try an amplifier/repeater.
post #650 of 1193 Old 10-22-2011, 06:58 AM

why can't the manual make it this simple? having the manual on cd is a great opportunity to make it as large and informative as possible, this is just terrible as manuals go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton Noway View Post

As many of the original V867 owners know, long before the creation of this "Official RX-V867" thread, all 867 discussion was posted in this> Yamaha RX-V667/RX-V767 thread. Be aware you'll find a ton of valuable 867 information that thread because, with the exception of networking, most of what applies to the 667 also applies to the 867. NET: Be sure to search that thread for any questions or issues you may be having with your 867 as you may find the answer faster than waiting for a response in this thread.

RX-V867 Firmware Update
Thanks to the 867's networking feature the firmware update is much easier than performing it on the 667. That said... the 867 owners manual doesn't do a very good job of explaining the specific process. After flipping back and forth through the owners manual to determine the necessary steps I decided to write down the step by step instructions to save myself from future aggravation.

NOTE: During this firmware update process don't bother attempting to use your TV or the on screen display. Although there may be information displayed... you'll be performing all the firmware update steps via the display on the front of the receiver. Also... although you may have a functioning wireless network... for this firmware update I'd suggest using a hardwired internet connection just to play it safe. (would be a shame to have the network drop the connection and brick your unit in the process)

FIRMWARE UPDATE STEPS FOR THE YAMAHA RX-V867

Perform all the following steps on the front of your receiver

1) Turn the 867 OFF - NOTE: When the unit is off, this is what Yamaha calls Standby Mode... (only the red LED on the left side of the unit will be glowing)
2) With the unit Off... on the front of the receiver, press and hold in the STRAIGHT button, then... while holding the STRAIGHT button depressed... power the unit on. (i.e, press the button labeled MAIN ZONE).
.... Almost immediately the receiver display will show ADVANCED SETUP. (watch closely as the advanced setup message is only on the display for a few seconds before it will change to SP IMP. 8ohmMIN)
3) Rotate the PROGRAM selector knob until you see FIRM UPDATE in the receiver display
4) Press the INFO button on the front of the receiver. - Almost immediately the receiver display will show NETWORK UPDATE, ... at this point (if your unit is downlevel) the firmware update process will begin.

NOTE: Be aware the Firmware update takes about 16 minutes. So be patient. DO NOT power down your receiver during the update process. (in fact, just to be safe, I wouldn't do anything with the setup during the update process.)
When the firmware update is finished the display will show UPDATE SUCCESS...followed by the message PLEASE POWER OFF

That's it... after you power the unit off and back on you will be at the current firmware level.

post #651 of 1193 Old 10-22-2011, 07:18 AM

the 867 is replacing an Onkyo 806 that had the blue dot syndrome and finally ended up frying the hdmi board, probably due to the incredibly excessive heat that the unit put out...sounded amazing though.
first, read the thread on avs for updating the firmware, it will save you alot of time as after finding it in the manual, you will also find the manual useless in this case. suffer thru the process, 15 minutes or so.
naming the hdmi inputs is easy and nicely handled. binding posts are a little tight, wish they were shaped to take a nut driver. removable power cord might have been nice. try to remember that this cost less than $400.
sound is brighter than my onkyo, but I am getting used to it and am satisfied overall. my harmony 880 is so much better than the supplied remote, again think of the price paid.
surfing net radio is handled much better on my vegan-tab g-tablet with the yamaha av app. only thing that seems to be missing here is an easy bookmarking process. finding the settings page to set up the network also took a few minutes longer than neccessary, maybe it was just me tho. again, the g-tablet is a much better remote than the supplied one.
it would be interesting if all my components were dlna equipped...controlling the whole system thru the tablets wifi (via the yamaha app) would be great.
con: can no longer fry eggs on stereo
so far: very happy with the purchase
post #652 of 1193 Old 10-22-2011, 08:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:

As to when the black out happens, it simply happens during a program with no user input. You're watching a show and then suddenly the screen is black.

This sounds like an HDCP handshake, which occurs every few minutes during protected sources. Normally it's invisible. Poor cable bandwidth can certainly contribute, and ANY cable in the chain can cause it.

Turn off any video processing in the AVR. Set the source component to explicit video and audio settings, nothing "auto".

Also be aware that some sat and cable boxes are known to have "blinking" issues, as do some displays.
post #653 of 1193 Old 10-23-2011, 02:23 PM

I would appreciate suggestions for music server software for my Win 7 PC. The Owner's Manual (p67) says "To play back audio files on your PC, you need to install Windows Media Player on the PC". I'm somewhat experienced with various players (Winamp, VLC, MediaMonkey, etc), and have just not been a fan of WMP. For lack of an alternative, I am now using WMP so that the V867 can access the music files on my PC, but feel that there must be something better. I realize software "goodness" is subjective, but don't know what to try, and hate to install anything that may not even work with the V867.

Just to be clear, I'm not looking to play from the PC to the 867. I'm wanting to use the NET PC input -- which WMP enables, but I don't like WMP -- I suppose I could try harder to like it if I must.
post #654 of 1193 Old 10-23-2011, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by maesterjay View Post

Perhaps you should remember that the cable signal from the wall is rf. So you plug that into your TV. Don't forget to re-scan your channels.

Then you take the TV's audio output (optical or RW coax) and run that to the AVR (AV1 would be good for optical, AUDIO1 for RW coax).

The rf input on the V867 is for FM radio only.

If, without a cable box, your TV can receive HD/5.1 or SD/DD2.0, then run optical to the AV1 input. Most TV's will send DD5.1 out their optical line if you are watching that content. If you only have two speakers, the RW audio coax is ok and less subject to damage.
post #655 of 1193 Old 10-23-2011, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70decilon View Post

I would appreciate suggestions for music server software for my Win 7 PC. The Owner's Manual (p67) says "To play back audio files on your PC, you need to install Windows Media Player on the PC". I'm somewhat experienced with various players (Winamp, VLC, MediaMonkey, etc), and have just not been a fan of WMP. For lack of an alternative, I am now using WMP so that the V867 can access the music files on my PC, but feel that there must be something better. I realize software "goodness" is subjective, but don't know what to try, and hate to install anything that may not even work with the V867.

Just to be clear, I'm not looking to play from the PC to the 867. I'm wanting to use the NET PC input -- which WMP enables, but I don't like WMP -- I suppose I could try harder to like it if I must.

Windows 7 has a few problems with WMP networking. I have a laptop with WMC/WMP and, after loading many audio CDs, I found it was not responding. Seems all the memory was being used and this problem is part of the MS Knowledge Base. I also have an XP system. I bought a hard drive that holds only CD media and used with WMP 11 I have no issues. I'm using the XP system now. Everything is networked.

An alternative is Nero. I have also used it with XP (no Win 7 version at the time) and it worked ok. You are looking for a good DLNA server? So am I.

I don't use the V867 too much for IP radio, but let my Blu-ray feed the AVR from either Pandora or other media, like a front panel USB port. The Pandora sounds better from the Blu-ray and has a TV screen saver. Right now I'm using the V867 to stream KFRC (for the last 130.02 minutes). Not so classy, but sounds great.
post #656 of 1193 Old 10-24-2011, 02:59 AM

Thanks for all the input gang, but I think the problem is with my cable box. After doing plenty of searching, I found a "bug" listed with the previous version of the software (and no fix listed either) for my comcast dcx-3400: Intermittent blank-screen dropouts when using HDMI

I found this at this "How to use a motorola DVR" under the software listing. I also found a few random posts around the internet with the same type issue, so I'm fairly satisfied this is the problem.
post #657 of 1193 Old 10-24-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70decilon View Post

It sounds like you are looking for an alternate DLNA server as the one built into WMP isn't very good. I don't have my V867 yet so I haven't tested anything with it specifically. However, I do use a DLNA Server for other media streaming and have been using http://tversity.com/ It seems to work much better than WMP. I still use Mediamonkey to organize my music files and to play it on the local machine and use Tversity just for the DLNA streaming.

Mediamonkey 4 is suppose to include a DLNA server as well. It is currently in beta testing and can be found in their forums if you want to give it a try.
post #658 of 1193 Old 10-24-2011, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

I cannot get the manual from Yamaha--not recognizing my login as it did last night. So, hope you can help with a query.

Comparing this one to the RX-A800 for similar pricing. I like the LAN features of the RX-V867, but they are not critical because I have a PC connected to play BBC iPlayer and it can output Pandora too. What is ciritical is whether the internal amp will power two remote speakers in zone 2. Can someone confirm that that would operate the same way as the A800? [UPDATE: READING THIS THREAD IT SEEMS THAT THE V867 DOES WORK THE SAME WAY]

Does the V867 play on-line (Internet radio, Pandora, iTunes) audio in Zone 2? UPDATE: PREVIOUS MESSAGES IN THIS THREAD SAY "YES."]

Does the V867 suppor HD Radio? The A800 does, but with reported poor reception. [UPDATE: YAMAHA SAYS NO HD RADIO ON THE V867]

Other thoughts comparing the two receivers would be great. I'm replacing a H-K receiver that refuses to power up from standby for more than a moment.

-Chris
post #659 of 1193 Old 10-24-2011, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKarras View Post

I cannot get the manual from Yamaha--not recognizing my login as it did last night. So, hope you can help with a query.

Does the V867 suppor HD Radio? The A800 does, but with reported poor reception.

Other thoughts comparing the two receivers would be great. I'm replacing a H-K receiver that refuses to power up from standby for more than a moment.

I didn't know that the A800 had HD radio. But the V867 does not. Not even RDDS. I have a Gigaware (Radio Shack) clock radio with iPod dock that I use as a tuner. One great use for the white Scene button. The tuner in the V867 is average (I have no specs), but the old clock radio, with an outdoor FM radio antenna, gets several HD stations and about 20 regular stations. I live in the middle of nowhere. Without the roof mounted outside antenna I would get one FM station.

Here's a current listing. This link will expire soon:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gigaware-12-...item3cbd87d274
post #660 of 1193 Old 10-24-2011, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Who needs hd radio when you have intenet radio? Most of the 128kbps stations sound fantastic. I believe that's a higher bitrate than most hd radio.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V867 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V867 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page