The Official Yamaha RX-V867 Owners Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1198 Old 11-06-2011, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just set my Rx-v867 and I have some questions.
1. I turned on standby through, and with the amp in standy I get video but no audio on my tv( sony kdl v5100). I have followed instructions in the manual.

2. I used the biamp feature on my front l/r. Can I still use the presence speakers or is this feature null when biamping?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1198 Old 11-06-2011, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by vannich View Post

I just set my Rx-v867 and I have some questions.
1. I turned on standby through, and with the amp in standy I get video but no audio on my tv( sony kdl v5100). I have followed instructions in the manual.

2. I used the biamp feature on my front l/r. Can I still use the presence speakers or is this feature null when biamping?

On #1, there are a lot of things you can check. The CEC enabled on both TV and AVR. You stated "no audio on my TV". Does that mean you are using the TV speakers? That's abnormal since I would use speakers connected to the AVR and set the TV to "external audio" (which, with CEC enabled, will get cancelled I think when you put the AVR into standby mode). Using the V867 and CEC and ARC and something like a Blu-ray for content, the TV speakers (Sony EX700 but I had a 32XBR9 which is really a V5100) will come on if I put the AVR into standby mode. There are probably a half-dozen places to check and change.

On #2 I could find nothing in the docs (especially footnotes) that prohibit presence speakers with biamp enabled. I run 5.1 so biamp is enabled, but I don't have presence speakers. There are smarter people here that can help. You might check the V767 forum. A lot of smart people there too.

Don't get frustrated. Think of it as a learning experience. I'm sorry if I couldn't help, but I don't want you feel ignored.
post #723 of 1198 Old 11-06-2011, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Love the droid app. Kills the droid battery pretty quick if you leave it on though.

Curious: On the setup, the 867 insists there is no external amp (I am using the 867 as a processor). Why / how would it ever sense that there was an external amp? The fact the OSD has a place to say where / if there was one, yet it got it got it wrong.

This thing sounds great! Replaced an older Sony ES30 that was not HDMI, nor auto eq. It is patched to an XPA5 amp. Noticeable sound improvement over the older Sony rx, maybe just due to the auto eq, dunno.

So are the front high speakers very noticeable? I am running at as a 5.1 setup, and the only speakers that I can get past the WAF committee would be high presence speakers, and that is only if I install them first and then ask for forgiveness.
LL

Lot's of low rent stuff stacked up into a medium rent pile.
post #724 of 1198 Old 11-06-2011, 03:30 PM

On #1, do you have "AUDIO OUTPUT" set to "ON" in the SETUP>HDMI>AUDIO OUTPUT option? On mine, both HDMI outputs with 2 separate Samsung TVs on HDMI OUT 1 & 2 pass the audio through while my receiver is in standby. Don't see why the brand of TV would matter.
post #725 of 1198 Old 11-06-2011, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Probably not since presence are usually 5 up front and 2 rear. There are only 7 amps, so unless you really need the bi-amp and are running 5 channels you are out of luck. I use presence and like it. Why do you need to bi-amp?
post #726 of 1198 Old 11-06-2011, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

Good suggestion, but zone2 does not work. Possibly because I am using height speakers? Audio out does, and it works with internet radio! Also the volume level is independent of the receiver.

I do not get my tv audio using audio out. I'm using component/optical on av1. So I am still not at audio out nirvana...
post #727 of 1198 Old 11-06-2011, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnytuinals View Post

Just updated to 2.19,,,,,wonder what the upgrade will do.
Just love my Internet radio {Vtuner}........JT

Curious about this also. Are there any release notes about this update?
post #728 of 1198 Old 11-06-2011, 04:46 PM

what is CEC? I am trying to use my tv without turning on my 867.
post #729 of 1198 Old 11-06-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:

Probably not since presence are usually 5 up front and 2 rear. There are only 7 amps, so unless you really need the bi-amp and are running 5 channels you are out of luck. I use presence and like it. Why do you need to bi-amp?

My Mirage speakers are bi-amp capable and until I got the 867 I had never bi-amped them. the question is whether presence speaker is worth no biamping. I really like the sound from my mirages now that they are finally biamped. decisions decisions.
post #730 of 1198 Old 11-06-2011, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

what is CEC? I am trying to use my tv without turning on my 867.

CEC is HDMI control. If enabled, the TV can tell your AVR it is off and make the TV turn on its internal speakers. It also can turn on the AVR if you turn on the TV. I don't use it since it doesn't like to turn things off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

Perhaps you mean that you want to use the AVR without explicitly turning it on? If you don't want it to turn on, disable HDMI control.

I've found that locating the AVR high makes it easy to hit that "main on" button.
post #731 of 1198 Old 11-07-2011, 02:08 AM

Not sure that CEC is working reliably on mine either. Turning the TV off will turn the receiver off reliably and volume control pass thru from the TV usually works but turning the TV on will not turn the receiver on. I sometimes have to cycle the HDMI control settings to get the TV volume control pass through to work. I am not sure if it might be due to the quality of my HDMI cable or the fact of having 2 separate Samsung TVs, one CEC compatible on HDMI OUT 1 and one non-CEC compatible on HDMI 2.

Also questioning how ARC should work. Changing the TV input to an "on air" or streaming video source does not output the tv sound from the receiver to match the TV. The manual is confusing on this point. The only way I can get the TV audio is through an optical cable connected to AV4 and switching the receiver input to AV4. I haven't found any combination of settings that will allow the audio return through HDMI to be used as the source as the manual implies (page 123 in my manual).

I have upgraded the receiver firmware, several HDMI cables and various HDMI inputs for my cable source (my main input) but that has not changed the issues. My HDMI settings are "HDMI control"-ON, "Control Select" - OUT1(TV1), "ARC" - ON, "TV Audio Input" - AV4, "Audio Output" - ON (both), "Standby Through" - Control sync(greyed out/unselectable) / HDMI2 ON.

Am I the only one having these issues? Is my Smart TV not so much?
post #732 of 1198 Old 11-07-2011, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegovernale View Post

Also questioning how ARC should work. Changing the TV input to an "on air" or streaming video source does not output the tv sound from the receiver to match the TV. The manual is confusing on this point. The only way I can get the TV audio is through an optical cable connected to AV4 and switching the receiver input to AV4. I haven't found any combination of settings that will allow the audio return through HDMI to be used as the source as the manual implies (page 123 in my manual).

I have upgraded the receiver firmware, several HDMI cables and various HDMI inputs for my cable source (my main input) but that has not changed the issues.

Am I the only one having these issues? Is my Smart TV not so much?

It's not your fault. If CEC was perfect there wouldn't be an option to turn it off. But let's try a simple setup. I have a Sony EX700 and Sony S570 BR. Everything is HDMI. The TV has "ARC" printed over HDMI1 so that plugs into the V867 TV connector. The BR plugs into the BR HDMI connector on the AVR.

Should I enable CEC on the TV, BR, and AVR and enable ARC on the AVR things start out fine. But then I turn off the AVR and sometimes the TV sound reverts back to the TV speakers. If I turn on the BR, the audio is now from the BR even though I am using the tuner on my TV. If I turn off the BR the sound can either go silent or I can power cycle stuff until the sound goes back where it started. In other words, I'm unhappy.

So I disable CEC, ARC and any HDMI control I can find. I'm sure if I only had a TV tuner and one HDMI line to the AVR everything would be happy. But I have three non-CEC DVRs, one CEC DVR, a BR and an external FM radio. I seldom use the STB since my cable is mostly clear QAM, but that's another HDMI input. I'm happy.

When I walk into my listening area, I push the power on my TV, the main on for the AVR and sometimes one of the three identical DVRs. And should I decide to listen to Pandora or local FM radio, it's just a remote button. I have a lot of remotes, but it's a small price for me to pay for consistancy.

Everybody has their way of doing things. Some would look at your problem as as frustration, some as a challenge.
post #733 of 1198 Old 11-07-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:

My Mirage speakers are bi-amp capable and until I got the 867 I had never bi-amped them. the question is whether presence speaker is worth no biamping. I really like the sound from my mirages now that they are finally biamped. decisions decisions.

I am using presence speakers and they make a noticeable difference, especially when there is dialog. It adds a "fullness" that was not there with just the center speaker.

I tried bi-amping out for a while and didn't notice any volume or quality difference vs the single amp input.

It is one or the other, but not both as your options.
post #734 of 1198 Old 11-07-2011, 09:24 PM

I have finally given up on the standby through feature giving me audio along with video when the receiver is in standy. New issue!! I hooked up my bluray player to hdmi1 with hdmi out 1 going to tv. The picture is barely visible. If I plug the bluray to a hdmi in on tv the picture is fine. My old sony did not have hdmi so I ran everthing, player, direct tv to tv with hdmi and then ran optical cables to the sony av. I thought having a new receiver would simplify things, but so far it has been no so. any ideas??
post #735 of 1198 Old 11-08-2011, 01:23 AM

On my old Yammy HTR-5660 I had an Speaker out "A" switch and a "B" switch. The output from the "B" selector was sent to a passive 6 output selector switch. The 3 areas containing the "B" speakers each have a volume control configured with Impedance matching amplifiers. I never had a problem with them all powered up. Reading some threads here and over on the V667 and v767 thread I seem to recalling seeing postings concerning the installation of a separate amp to handle the Zone 2 ouputs. This is also mentioned in the V867 owner's crappy CD manual. Several questions for you guys:
  1. Is another amp necessary for the above set-up and if so what is the difference between my old 5660 "B" output vs the V867 Zone 2 output? I believe that I did see several recommended amps for Zone 2 output, does anyone recall with it was?
  2. If I want to use the analog out from Zone 2 for Presence speakers is there a way to still supply my "B" Speaker distibution?

Thanks
post #736 of 1198 Old 11-08-2011, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My Polks are bi-amp capable too, but I can't imagine a reason to do it. It doesn't have a very large woofer.
post #737 of 1198 Old 11-08-2011, 09:05 AM

Hi
Upon recommendation of a friend of mine at AVS, I got the RX-V867... My friend helped me installed it .. everything worked well for a while .. When I heard a sound in the left speaker when changing the volume .. . Now this has become a scratching sound even when not changing volume .. I can hear the clinking sound when I change the volume manually... The unit is used as a Processor, i-e no speakers are connected to it.. Preamp output is fed to standalone amplifier (Emotiva)
Changing the interconnect from left speaker to right simply moves the noise/distortion to the other channel ...
I have noticed that when I use some kind of DSP the problem is not very noticeable ... I do still hear some scratching/clicking sound when I change volume but no distortion...

I have hesitated to update the firmware.. Could this be the problem? Will be doing it right now..

Thanks for any suggestion...
post #738 of 1198 Old 11-08-2011, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Take the emotiva out of the equation. If you hear it on the 867, then you've narrowed things down.

If you do not hear it then, please send the emotiva to me. For testing purposes of course...

Greg
post #739 of 1198 Old 11-09-2011, 12:52 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrios35 View Post

I ran into a wall this weekend. I was watching TV through the HDMI output but wanted to listen to music also. Can you do both in Zone 1? We were having a party and some wanted to watch the football game and some wanted to listen to music.

Anyone?
post #740 of 1198 Old 11-09-2011, 04:07 PM

I finally pulled the trigger and decided to buy the RX-V867 after reading many of the positive comments here and seeing the recent sale price on Newegg. I was excited to see UPS deliver it to me 5 days after ordering. As soon as I opened the box I saw a huge dent in the side of the receiver. Newegg was good about taking in for a return and exchange. Unfortunately they ran out of this model in the time it took for me to ship it back to them so I got a refund.

Any suggestions of what I should buy instead? I would like similar features and similar price ($400).
post #741 of 1198 Old 11-09-2011, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks111 View Post

I finally pulled the trigger and decided to buy the RX-V867 after reading many of the positive comments here and seeing the recent sale price on Newegg. I was excited to see UPS deliver it to me 5 days after ordering. As soon as I opened the box I saw a huge dent in the side of the receiver. Newegg was good about taking in for a return and exchange. Unfortunately they ran out of this model in the time it took for me to ship it back to them so I got a refund.

Any suggestions of what I should buy instead? I would like similar features and similar price ($400).

I would hold the money and watch for sales. I don't know why you selected the V867 so suggesting a different AVR would be impossible.
post #742 of 1198 Old 11-09-2011, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

A friend got the 671, it has the same internet features and web control plus ipod connectivity. I think it was 350 or so on Newegg a while back.
post #743 of 1198 Old 11-10-2011, 07:38 AM

Are we able to see the list of the songs on the PC music folder? I can play the PC music to receiver, but when I try to go under the music section on the receiver via the app there is no music listed? I can see the videos and pictures but I know we can't play those. I can go tot he web interface and the device is listed under the Media sharing options.

I have Win 7 64 bit with Media Player as the DNLA server.
post #744 of 1198 Old 11-10-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:

A friend got the 671, it has the same internet features and web control plus ipod connectivity. I think it was 350 or so on Newegg a while back.

Actually it was $339 this past weekend, mine arrives today! Gotta love the Egg, current model and $210 off.

Another plus is not having to look at the volume OSD every time you adjust it.
post #745 of 1198 Old 11-11-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasound View Post

On my old Yammy HTR-5660 I had an Speaker out "A" switch and a "B" switch. The output from the "B" selector was sent to a passive 6 output selector switch. The 3 areas containing the "B" speakers each have a volume control configured with Impedance matching amplifiers. I never had a problem with them all powered up. Reading some threads here and over on the V667 and v767 thread I seem to recall seeing postings concerning the installation of a separate amp to handle the Zone 2 ouputs. This is also mentioned in the V867 owner's crappy CD manual. Several questions for you guys:
  1. Is another amp necessary for the above set-up and if so what is the difference between my old 5660 "B" output vs the V867 Zone 2 output? I believe that I did see several recommended amps for Zone 2 output, does anyone recall with it was?
  2. If I want to use the analog out from Zone 2 for Presence speakers is there a way to still supply my "B" Speaker distibution?
Thanks

Any help comments would be appreciated. As it is now I'm not getting any output to Zone 2 as configured above. I did notice some chatter on the V667 and v767 thread about about a good selection of small amps to use the pre-outs. Even using the search feature I've yet to relocate them.
post #746 of 1198 Old 11-11-2011, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by supra92 View Post

Updated the firmware to 2.19 without a hitch, took about 12 minutes or so. Here's another salute to Elton Noway for his perfect description of the firmware update process

Supra92

ditto that. Thanks!
post #747 of 1198 Old 11-11-2011, 02:51 PM

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this but here goes.
Equipment:
Samsung PN64D8000 TV
Yamaha RX-V867 AV Reciever

HDMI cable connected at HDMI Out #2 of the RX-V867 going into HDMI 2 (ARC) of the TV.

RX-V867 has HDMI ARC "on" and chose AV4 as the source to which audio signals will be assigned.

The 64D8000 has the sound set to "external"

What I am trying to do is get music (mp3) which is on my computer to play via the TV sending the audio signal to my AV receiver. (the TV, AV Receiver and computer are all linked wirelessly and work properly).

I can get the music to play on the TV but I am not getting the sound to go back to the AV receiver via the HDMI ARC.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
post #748 of 1198 Old 11-11-2011, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Is the arc working for tv? If you are using a cable box, just slap an antenna on, or cable and scan for channels.

Why are you trying to play through the tv? You can push directly to the 867 with w7 or pull from a dlna server.
post #749 of 1198 Old 11-11-2011, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertTX View Post

Equipment:
Samsung PN64D8000 TV

HDMI cable connected at HDMI Out #2 of the RX-V867 going into HDMI 2 (ARC) of the TV.

RX-V867 has HDMI ARC "on" and chose AV4 as the source to which audio signals will be assigned.

What I am trying to do is get music (mp3) which is on my computer to play via the TV sending the audio signal to my AV receiver. (the TV, AV Receiver and computer are all linked wirelessly and work properly).

I can get the music to play on the TV but I am not getting the sound to go back to the AV receiver via the HDMI ARC.

I'm not going to duplicate your system, but page 106 and footnotes seem to describe ARC pretty well. Having "everything" on WiFi implies you have an adapter for the V867. I doubt your problem is in that area though.

If playing audio from one source while watching a TV channel is your goal, several people here or on the V671 thread should be able to help. It's easy if you are OTA, not so simple if a STB is used.
post #750 of 1198 Old 11-12-2011, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertTX View Post

Equipment:
Samsung PN64D8000 TV

I have a duplicate of your system and the same issue. I cannot get any audio, including OTA, via the HDMI cable. I can get audio from the Samsung TV (MP3s, OTA and others) when I connect an optical cable from the Samsung audio out to the AV4 optical input on the AVR and switch the AVR audio inputs manually.

Is anyone able to pass audio through the HDMI cable? If so, what are your HDMI settings. It would be nice to determine whether the issue is with the Samsung TV not outputting the audio or the Yamaha receiver not accepting the signal. I have contacted Samsung and Yamaha support with no help.

The AVR option choices through SETUP>HDMI>TV AUDIO INPUT does not include HDMI, only the non-HDMI inputs and the default is set to AV4. The Yamaha manual (page 106 and 123) confuses the issue. Page 123 shows the single HDMI cable connection and page 106 describes the ARC setup (TV audio input choices are AV1-4 or audio 1-2, HDMI1 default=AV4).
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V867 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V867 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page