Forum Jump: 

post #841 of 1188 Old 12-06-2011, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstarr View Post

Having a bit of trouble getting the 867 to play nice with my TV and my CPU monitor.

Here's my wiring setup:
HTPC->AVR HDMI Input 1
AVR HDMI Output 1->TV HDMI Input 2 (ARC)
AVR HDMI Output 2->Monitor Input

TV: Samsung UN46D6900
Monitor: ASUS VE228H

I have the monitor fed from the AVR so that I can have sound on both the main system and the CPU speakers without having to change the audio output in Windows.

I have tried a variety of setting combinations on both the TV (Anynet On/Off) and AVR (HDMI Control On/Off; ARC On/Off; Control Select Out1/Out2). I always end up with the same functionality:

AVR on HDMI Input 1
-with TV and Monitor on = both TV and Monitor get the feed from HTPC

-when I turn the TV off the Monitor shows "HDMI No Signal" momentarily and then shows the AVR background wallpaper while TV continues to show feed from HTPC

-turn the TV back on and both get the HTPC feed again

-turning the Monitor off and on has no effect on the TV

Switching AVR HDMI Outputs on the back of the unit has no effect.

Switching the HDMI cable input to HDMI 1 has no effect.

With Standby Through on, and the AVR off, TV and monitor on, both TV and monitor get the feed from the HTPC. Turn off the TV and the monitor gets no signal at all and goes into standby mode.

Very frustrating and I feel like the setup actually worked for a short while before acting like this (but can't be certain).

Any advice on how to set this up so that my monitor feed isn't determined by the TV being on or off? Thanks.

Anyone have any idea why turning off my TV kills the feed to my monitor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 1188 Old 12-06-2011, 03:46 PM

Sorry if this has been posted, but Yamaha has an official iPhone and Android app for their receivers. It lets you control multiple zones and stream music from your mobile device.

AV Receiver Controller App
post #843 of 1188 Old 12-06-2011, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancelot View Post

Sorry if this has been posted, but Yamaha has an official iPhone and Android app for their receivers. It lets you control multiple zones and stream music from your mobile device.

Try searching next time, it has been posted.
post #844 of 1188 Old 12-06-2011, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyone have any idea why turning off my TV kills the feed to my monitor?

I am having a similar problem (I think) with my htpc. If I switch away from it (Hdmi 3) and come back, the display does not, it stays black. It's w7 with an ati card going to a panasonic plasma. I have a projector attached to the other hdmi.

If I press the power button, the display comes back and the pc shuts down. I have tried all the normal ways of waking the system up.
post #845 of 1188 Old 12-07-2011, 06:27 PM

Wanting to feed sound from the 867 to two rooms in addition to the main room. Trying to decide between hooking a speaker selector up to the zone 2 speaker terminals or getting a cheap amp that can power 2 pairs of speakers in each room.

Any thoughts on multi-room setups with the 867?

If I do use a speaker selector, what impedance do I need present to the 867? How do I know if I am stressing the 867 with too low an impedance? Basically, if the unit does not shut-off (due top the internal protection in the 867) then I am fine?

These speakers will never be driven too hard. Just for background music in dining room and kitchen. Speakers will be Polk Monitor 30s.
post #846 of 1188 Old 12-13-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:

Wanting to feed sound from the 867 to two rooms in addition to the main room. Trying to decide between hooking a speaker selector up to the zone 2 speaker terminals or getting a cheap amp that can power 2 pairs of speakers in each room.

Any thoughts on multi-room setups with the 867?

If I do use a speaker selector, what impedance do I need present to the 867? How do I know if I am stressing the 867 with too low an impedance? Basically, if the unit does not shut-off (due top the internal protection in the 867) then I am fine?

These speakers will never be driven too hard. Just for background music in dining room and kitchen. Speakers will be Polk Monitor 30s.

If you can wire from Extra Sp Jacks (see page 17 in owner's manual) you can output to impedance matching volume controls via a speaker selector switch. See my post http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post21292374 This will give you independent volume control of the remote speakers. I've used this set-up for over 20 years. I did stub out the outlet boxes and ran the cable in each of 6 separate locations, including outside at the pool. I used the Niles SS-6 speaker selector http://www.Nilesaudio.com/product_selection.php?catcid=7" and impedance matching volume controls from Best Buy.

I initially used this set-up successfully, after getting great help on this thread, while awaiting an external amplifier which I will then input from the Line Level Out. The external amp will then output to the Niles Selector switches. I will then use the "Presence Speaker Connection" to drive a pair of Presence speakers. Since I have a Christmas party planned for this upcoming weekend I've got to get popping on this project. I'll report back as to how everything works out.
post #847 of 1188 Old 12-18-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasound View Post

If you can wire from Extra Sp Jacks (see page 17 in owner's manual) you can output to impedance matching volume controls via a speaker selector switch. See my post http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post21292374 This will give you independent volume control of the remote speakers. I've used this set-up for over 20 years. I did stub out the outlet boxes and ran the cable in each of 6 separate locations, including outside at the pool. I used the Niles SS-6 speaker selector http://www.Nilesaudio.com/product_selection.php?catcid=7" and impedance matching volume controls from Best Buy.

I initially used this set-up successfully, after getting great help on this thread, while awaiting an external amplifier which I will then input from the Line Level Out. The external amp will then output to the Niles Selector switches. I will then use the "Presence Speaker Connection" to drive a pair of Presence speakers. Since I have a Christmas party planned for this upcoming weekend I've got to get popping on this project. I'll report back as to how everything works out.

Quote:

Quote:

Well, I ended up running the YAPO, 15 minutes prior to our party, much to my wife's consternation (they just seem to not grasp the concept that all of this goes one step at a time, i.e., no plug and play here.)

Of note is the following: When configuring the Speaker "Manual Setup" I have to select "7ch Normal," in the Power Amp Assign to get the Front Presence speakers in the equation. Selecting 7ch + 1 Zone the eliminates the front presence and assigns "EXTRA SP" to Zone 2. For the time being the 7ch Normal works well outputting the EXTRA SP to the Front Presence. As stated in the prior post I'm using the line level Zone 2 out to supply the 12v triggered external amp. Everything works as expected, including "Party" mode.

I'm now trying to find the time (while my wife isn't watching the TV) to fine tune the software settings to my liking.

This has been a fun and enlightening project as I come to fully grasp much of the new terminology. The next step will be to pass the Output 2 through the wall for use on a new Christmas Present for my wife which will be a new Panasonic 37" LED for the bedroom. Fortunately I scored a NIB Harmony 900 (RF) on eBay at a great price which will of course allow control from a remote location. I've set these up before for friends so I'm not expecting much of an issue there. I suppose I'll also find out if the old R-IG7 has any value on eBay.

I will continue post the details of this present upgrade at each milestone marks in hopes that it will assist other RX-V867 owners. As an aside...there has been quite the chatter about the *.PDF manual vs a paper one. My daughter printed out the pdf in a double sided format but now I find it easier to refer to the pdf--interesting no? I am recording all of the settings in an Excel spreadsheet as I continue fiddling.

Note about photos--the wiring in the back of the cabinet is only visible with a flash, but nevertheless I intend to cover those areas with black grill material. I still have to install two cooling fans and will more than likely install some slide out trays for the components as it is a real chore to move the cabinets. Also, although there may be a better way to secure HDMI cables I came up with my own method after searching in vain on the net. The key to this is a leather punch from Harbor Freight (7 bucks and change) for punching the small hole in the black tie-wrap. Each and every HDMI connection has a small mounting screw that mounts the HDMI connection to the chassis. I can now slide components out without worrying about the HDMI cables coming unplugged.
LL
LL
LL
post #848 of 1188 Old 12-19-2011, 01:20 PM

Seasound (and anyone else interested). If you have a Home Depot nearby, you can get cable ties with a mount built in. I would expect other hardware stores would carry something similar. Check the link below.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
Charlie
post #849 of 1188 Old 12-20-2011, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Any chance iheartradio will be added in a future firmware release?
post #850 of 1188 Old 12-22-2011, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

The iPhone AV Contoller App for the V867 works like a charm. It's very nice.
post #851 of 1188 Old 12-23-2011, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD_in_NM View Post

Seasound (and anyone else interested). If you have a Home Depot nearby, you can get cable ties with a mount built in. I would expect other hardware stores would carry something similar. Check the link below.
Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD_in_NM View Post

Charlie

Yes, I looked at the same cables at Lowes. The problem is that the hole is at least 1/4" in diameter and has a depth about as long as the screw. Most of the machine screws in the chassis, that secure the HDMI connectors and other I/Os, are 3/32" (.0938 mm) by 8 mm long. The heads are 6mm in diameter. In order to use those ties you would have to use a suitable washer and a longer screw. The http://www.harborfreight.com/leather...ool-97715.html works well and now no more worries that HDMIs wll come loose.

I did shop monoprice, etc for a decent tie wrap that includes the mounting home but came up empty.
post #852 of 1188 Old 12-31-2011, 07:58 AM

How do you get the unit to output an HDMI signal to both the 'HMDI out' devices? I have a signal coming into 'HDMI in' and need it to be displayed to both devices.

thanks in advance
post #853 of 1188 Old 12-31-2011, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachMe2 View Post

How do you get the unit to output an HDMI signal to both the 'HMDI out' devices? I have a signal coming into 'HDMI in' and need it to be displayed to both devices.

thanks in advance

On the right side of the remote is a button labeled "hdmi out." Click through it several times to enable hdmi out 1, 2, 1&2, or none.
post #854 of 1188 Old 12-31-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbhpi View Post

On the right side of the remote is a button labeled "hdmi out." Click through it several times to enable hdmi out 1, 2, 1&2, or none.

Thank you!
post #855 of 1188 Old 01-10-2012, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancelot View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

Try searching next time, it has been posted.

Yamaha added "Music Play" to their AV Controller App for iOS and Android in December. It's damn near close to the functionality of Apple's AirPlay (for audio). You no longer have to physically dock an iPod or iPhone to play music through the AVR. I haven't seen any mention of this on the thread. This is quite a big new feature. They can't brand it AirPlay, but it provides the same overall end-result. ME LIKE!

New in version 2.00:
- Adds Music Play feature
Browse and play music stored on an Apple iOS device using the AV Controller App, with full access to cover art and track information.
post #856 of 1188 Old 01-11-2012, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for pointing that out. I never use it on my droid because I didn't want to turn on wifi, now I do! Now I can listen to my Amazon cloud music without having to push/pull it from windows...

Somehow the old and new yamaha app were on my ipod...

On a related note, I was playing with the squeezebox app while I was over at my parents house, wondering if it would play internet radio, it did not. But when I came home it had turned on the squeezebox in the bathroom and groove salad was playing. It freaked out my wife!
post #857 of 1188 Old 01-11-2012, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmm, jumped the gun on that cloud thing. The music has to be on the phone/device. It would be nice of Yamaha to build Amazon into the receiver since there are 4 other music services I don't use... That way I don't have to go over to another device. I'm shocked that the Roku doesn't have an Amazon music app.
post #858 of 1188 Old 01-12-2012, 06:39 AM

guys
i recently added subwoofers to my system. now i have left and right mains, and two subs.
so, ypao sets the mains to large.

i think i recall seeing that i am supposed to set the mains to small. this has to be done in the manual setup, correct? then also in manual setup, i can set the bass crossover.
ok, fine. now the questions:

if i use manual setup, what am i losing in terms of not using the ypao?

why does the graphic interface show only one subwoofer when there are two (and both are working and both were calibrated during auto cal with ypao?)

does manual or auto produce maximum performance?

thanks in advance for any guidance
post #859 of 1188 Old 01-12-2012, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnojham View Post

guys
i recently added subwoofers to my system. now i have left and right mains, and two subs.
so, ypao sets the mains to large.

i think i recall seeing that i am supposed to set the mains to small. this has to be done in the manual setup, correct? then also in manual setup, i can set the bass crossover.
ok, fine. now the questions:

if i use manual setup, what am i losing in terms of not using the ypao?

why does the graphic interface show only one subwoofer when there are two (and both are working and both were calibrated during auto cal with ypao?)

does manual or auto produce maximum performance?

thanks in advance for any guidance

If the front speaker woofers are large (defined as over 6.25 inches) then leave them large. Also, the speaker manual tells you what the lower frequency limit is good for. All depends how close to a perfectionist you are. Mine is set to "use". I like it.

YPAO is a good starting point, but reality is good too. What sounds good is maximum performance.

Does running the test tone make both subs activate? Someone with two subs will have to help with that.
post #860 of 1188 Old 01-12-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

If the front speaker woofers are large (defined as over 6.25 inches) then leave them large. Also, the speaker manual tells you what the lower frequency limit is good for. All depends how close to a perfectionist you are. Mine is set to "use". I like it.

YPAO is a good starting point, but reality is good too. What sounds good is maximum performance.

Does running the test tone make both subs activate? Someone with two subs will have to help with that.

thanks
i dont necessarily understand everything you said however
the lower frequency level of the mains or the subs?
what do you have set to "use"? the subwoofer?
you say ypao is a good starting point, ok, but what is reality?
when you say running the test tone, youre talking about during ypao? during ypao both subs activate.
post #861 of 1188 Old 01-12-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnojham View Post

thanks
i dont necessarily understand everything you said however
the lower frequency level of the mains or the subs?
what do you have set to "use"? the subwoofer?
you say ypao is a good starting point, ok, but what is reality?
when you say running the test tone, youre talking about during ypao? during ypao both subs activate.

Then one thing at a time. Your front speakers have a documented frequency response. If the lower limit is 60Hz or 80Hz, I would consider them "small". If it's 20Hz, I would consider them large.

Please note: most setup menu options have an up arrow that means more data can be found by using the remote "up". Please check those options.

What is reality? I know I can't answer that one.
post #862 of 1188 Old 01-13-2012, 04:20 PM

I'm trying to hook up an old Mac mini to my receiver. The mac only has dvi and optical audio, so I've got a dvi-hdmi cable for the video, and an optical cable for the audio. Where would I input the optical cable on the receiver, and how do I associate it with the HDMI input for the mac?
post #863 of 1188 Old 01-13-2012, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoram View Post

I'm trying to hook up an old Mac mini to my receiver. The mac only has dvi and optical audio, so I've got a dvi-hdmi cable for the video, and an optical cable for the audio. Where would I input the optical cable on the receiver, and how do I associate it with the HDMI input for the mac?

All HDMI inputs can get their audio from any place except another HDMI input. So pick your input, bring up the OSD, find the input and hit the up arrow. Select the port, AV1 or AV4, and you're done.
post #864 of 1188 Old 01-13-2012, 04:51 PM

ah geez I had looked all over the OSD and didn't see that. Thanks much!
post #865 of 1188 Old 01-13-2012, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoram View Post

ah geez I had looked all over the OSD and didn't see that. Thanks much!

Those up arrows are hard to see. I may have overstated the inputs. NET and tuner aren't there.
post #866 of 1188 Old 01-14-2012, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Harmony setup with the 867 question...

I often need to switch the AudioIn to another source and leave Video alone. Is there a way to make a sequence on Harmony to do this??? Maybe I am overlooking the obvious??

Thanks

username should now be "ThumperYZ69"
post #867 of 1188 Old 01-14-2012, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Another question: My old Panasonic receiver had a way to change the levels on the sub. By what I can tell there is no way to do this on the 867??

username should now be "ThumperYZ69"
post #868 of 1188 Old 01-14-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperxr69 View Post

Harmony setup with the 867 question...

I often need to switch the AudioIn to another source and leave Video alone. Is there a way to make a sequence on Harmony to do this??? Maybe I am overlooking the obvious??

Thanks

Learn how the Scene buttons work.
post #869 of 1188 Old 01-14-2012, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperxr69 View Post

Another question: My old Panasonic receiver had a way to change the levels on the sub. By what I can tell there is no way to do this on the 867??

OSD->Setup->Speaker->Manual Setup->Subwoofer. You can go +-10db.

Just hit OSD to exit.
post #870 of 1188 Old 01-14-2012, 07:45 PM

I have a quick question about the Sirius IR input on the 867, and I hope someone can help.

I just finished setting up my father-in-law's receiver on his network, and we tried to listen to his XM account. We logged in using his account as well as my account, as we both pay for the online subscription. It didn't matter which one we used the system just sat at the "Please wait." screen. We let it sit there for easily 5 minutes with nothing happening. I know the network connection works because we can listen to the Pandora app. As a side note, he is also running the most recent firmware; I updated it this afternoon as soon as the message popped on the screen.

I tried searching the forum, but all I really found was talk about the XML not updating or updating randomly.

Did SiriusXM kill the Yamaha app when they redesigned their website a few months ago? Or does it take an obnoxiously long time the first time you log in? Or might there be something else?

Thanks.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V867 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V867 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page