The Official Yamaha RX-V867 Owners Thread - Page 30 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #871 of 1193 Old 01-14-2012, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JoeKustra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 6,587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchiasson View Post

I have a quick question about the Sirius IR input on the 867, and I hope someone can help.

I just finished setting up my father-in-law's receiver on his network, and we tried to listen to his XM account. We logged in using his account as well as my account, as we both pay for the online subscription. It didn't matter which one we used the system just sat at the "Please wait." screen. We let it sit there for easily 5 minutes with nothing happening. I know the network connection works because we can listen to the Pandora app. As a side note, he is also running the most recent firmware; I updated it this afternoon as soon as the message popped on the screen.

I tried searching the forum, but all I really found was talk about the XML not updating or updating randomly.

Did SiriusXM kill the Yamaha app when they redesigned their website a few months ago? Or does it take an obnoxiously long time the first time you log in? Or might there be something else?


Thanks.

If Pandora and IP Radio work then your network is fine and it's a SiriusXM/Yamaha problem. I don't use the service.
JoeKustra is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #872 of 1193 Old 01-14-2012, 11:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
thumperxr69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Learn how the Scene buttons work.

hmmmm....So the Scene buttons can be incorporated into the Harmony remote button command???

username should now be "ThumperYZ69"
thumperxr69 is offline  
post #873 of 1193 Old 01-15-2012, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JoeKustra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 6,587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperxr69 View Post

hmmmm....So the Scene buttons can be incorporated into the Harmony remote button command???

I don't have a Harmony. I hear they are very good. They may have a thread on this forum. I'm glad you were able to get the Scene buttons to work for your switching inputs. I wish we had more of those white buttons.
JoeKustra is offline  
post #874 of 1193 Old 01-15-2012, 09:31 AM
Newbie
 
gnojham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Then one thing at a time. Your front speakers have a documented frequency response. If the lower limit is 60Hz or 80Hz, I would consider them "small". If it's 20Hz, I would consider them large.

Please note: most setup menu options have an up arrow that means more data can be found by using the remote "up". Please check those options.

What is reality? I know I can't answer that one.

heres how it works apparently:
setting sub to 'use' allows you to choose large or small front mains. if you set subwoofer to none, you arent able to choose small front mains. it will default to large.
once you choose 'use' subwoofer, then you can select small front mains. but if you choose 'use' subwoofer, and keep the fronts as large, your sub(s) will not activate unless you turn on extra bass.


seems to be this is important info for people with large mains that want their subs to work as well.
gnojham is offline  
post #875 of 1193 Old 01-15-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JoeKustra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 6,587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnojham View Post

heres how it works apparently:
setting sub to 'use' allows you to choose large or small front mains. if you set subwoofer to none, you arent able to choose small front mains. it will default to large.
once you choose 'use' subwoofer, then you can select small front mains. but if you choose 'use' subwoofer, and keep the fronts as large, your sub(s) will not activate unless you turn on extra bass.


seems to be this is important info for people with large mains that want their subs to work as well.

Sounds logical. Anyhow, my speakers didn't come in a box with a sticker stating they needed a subwoofer. I bought them for their high end and left them set to large after YPAO. My sub works wonderful, and it is set to "use" at 0.0 db. Most of my content does not have the LFE signal. I like the extra bass. Works for me.
JoeKustra is offline  
post #876 of 1193 Old 01-15-2012, 02:06 PM
Newbie
 
gnojham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Sounds logical. Anyhow, my speakers didn't come in a box with a sticker stating they needed a subwoofer. I bought them for their high end and left them set to large after YPAO. My sub works wonderful, and it is set to "use" at 0.0 db. Most of my content does not have the LFE signal. I like the extra bass. Works for me.

My speakers didn't have a box, let alone a sticker. I was just trying to understand how it all worked. I figured it out. Thought it would be helpful to others to let them know if they dont turn on the extra bass, they wont be getting anything out of their sub since simply setting them to large isn't enough
gnojham is offline  
post #877 of 1193 Old 01-15-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JoeKustra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 6,587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnojham View Post

My speakers didn't have a box, let alone a sticker. I was just trying to understand how it all worked. I figured it out. Thought it would be helpful to others to let them know if they dont turn on the extra bass, they wont be getting anything out of their sub since simply setting them to large isn't enough

The LFE signal will make the subwoofer activate. But that's a content issue.
JoeKustra is offline  
post #878 of 1193 Old 01-15-2012, 03:02 PM
Newbie
 
gnojham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

The LFE signal will make the subwoofer activate. But that's a content issue.

Not sure if you are agreeing with me or not. Are you saying you can get subwoofer activity with the mains set to large and with extra bass off?
gnojham is offline  
post #879 of 1193 Old 01-15-2012, 04:21 PM
Newbie
 
agossard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been trying to do a firmware update on my unit and it gets to 100% but just sits there. I've waited over a half hour and still just sits there. Is there something I am doing wrong or does it just take a lot longer to complete? Thank you for your help... Ann


______________

RX-V867 Firmware Update
Thanks to the 867's networking feature the firmware update is much easier than performing it on the 667. That said... the 867 owners manual doesn't do a very good job of explaining the specific process. After flipping back and forth through the owners manual to determine the necessary steps I decided to write down the step by step instructions to save myself from future aggravation.

NOTE: During this firmware update process don't bother attempting to use your TV or the on screen display. Although there may be information displayed... you'll be performing all the firmware update steps via the display on the front of the receiver. Also... although you may have a functioning wireless network... for this firmware update I'd suggest using a hardwired internet connection just to play it safe.

FIRMWARE UPDATE STEPS FOR THE YAMAHA RX-V867

Perform all the following steps on the front of your receiver

1) Turn the 867 OFF - NOTE: When the unit is off, this is what Yamaha calls Standby Mode... (only the red LED on the left side of the unit will be glowing)
2) With the unit Off... on the front of the receiver, press and hold in the STRAIGHT button, then... while holding the STRAIGHT button depressed... power the unit on. (i.e, press the button labeled MAIN ZONE).
.... Almost immediately the receiver display will show ADVANCED SETUP. (watch closely as the advanced setup message is only on the display for a few seconds before it will change to SP IMP. 8ohmMIN)
3) Rotate the PROGRAM selector knob until you see FIRM UPDATE in the receiver display
4) Press the INFO button on the front of the receiver. - Almost immediately the receiver display will show NETWORK UPDATE, ... at this point (if your unit is downlevel) the firmware update process will begin.

NOTE: Be aware the Firmware update takes about 16 minutes. So be patient. DO NOT power down your receiver during the update process. (in fact, just to be safe, I wouldn't do anything with the setup during the update process.)
When the firmware update is finished the display will show UPDATE SUCCESS...followed by the message PLEASE POWER OFF

That's it... after you power the unit off and back on you will be at the current firmware level.[/quote]
agossard is offline  
post #880 of 1193 Old 01-15-2012, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kriktsemaj99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 5,973
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

The LFE signal will make the subwoofer activate. But that's a content issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnojham View Post

Not sure if you are agreeing with me or not. Are you saying you can get subwoofer activity with the mains set to large and with extra bass off?

He's saying that when there's a dedicated LFE track (that's the .1 in 5.1) it will go to the sub whether your mains are set to large or small.

But as many have said, the best advice is always to set your main speakers to small. Then you don't need extra bass you just have to set a crossover frequency that's appropriate for your main speakers, and both your mains and sub will be used (for the frequencies they can best reproduce). It's unfortunate that "small" sounds like it's insulting your speakers; they should really use a different term, or even remove the concept entirely and just leave the crossover frequency as a user-settable parameter.
kriktsemaj99 is offline  
post #881 of 1193 Old 01-15-2012, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JoeKustra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 6,587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

He's saying that when there's a dedicated LFE track (that's the .1 in 5.1) it will go to the sub whether your mains are set to large or small.

But as many have said, the best advice is always to set your main speakers to small. Then you don't need extra bass you just have to set a crossover frequency that's appropriate for your main speakers, and both your mains and sub will be used (for the frequencies they can best reproduce). It's unfortunate that "small" sounds like it's insulting your speakers; they should really use a different term, or even remove the concept entirely and just leave the crossover frequency as a user-settable parameter.

Thank you. You have explained it much better than I could. I think "reality" was brought up a few days ago. You seem to have a strong grasp of the concepts as used here. Thanks again.
JoeKustra is offline  
post #882 of 1193 Old 01-15-2012, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gregoryperkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I disagree, if you have large speakers, let them be large as detected by the receiver. That's why you bought them... All my speakers are large. 99% of the time, your rears will do nothing, but the one time that they kick in for a explosion, you will notice.

If your speakers don't suck, then things will sound great, especially if you have a great sub. I think everyone should have a great sub, I have a 12" Velodyne, bigger is better!
gregoryperkins is offline  
post #883 of 1193 Old 01-15-2012, 11:08 PM
Member
 
djvitamind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
According to the manual "This unit can transmit or receive DSD signals via the HDMI jack."

Question: Where is the indicator that it is receiving the DSD signal from my SACD player via HDMI? Is there something I should be doing to make sure I am in fact getting this DSD signal?

I know my Pioneer DV-610AV is DSD compatible.

Any help would be appreciated.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

djvitamind is offline  
post #884 of 1193 Old 01-16-2012, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JoeKustra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 6,587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by djvitamind View Post

According to the manual "This unit can transmit or receive DSD signals via the HDMI jack."

Question: Where is the indicator that it is receiving the DSD signal from my SACD player via HDMI? Is there something I should be doing to make sure I am in fact getting this DSD signal?

I know my Pioneer DV-610AV is DSD compatible.

Any help would be appreciated.

Three actually:

First is OSD->Information->Audio should say DSD (even on 2.0)

Next is on the TV: bottom left should say Super Audio CD

And on TV: upper right should say DSD Multi.

If you get track information on the screen your DVD Blu-ray is better than my Sony S570.
JoeKustra is offline  
post #885 of 1193 Old 01-16-2012, 07:20 AM
Member
 
djvitamind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Three actually:

First is OSD->Information->Audio should say DSD (even on 2.0)

After messing with this I could finally get it to display DSD but run into another problem maybe you would know about.

My SACD player, and Yamaha for that matter, is used only for audio and I normally do not have the HDMI out of from the Yamaha going into my monitor.

When I do have it plugged in I can get the Yamaha to display DSD. But when I do not have it connected it will only display PCM.

Any idea why it will only display DSD when connected?

Thanks


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

djvitamind is offline  
post #886 of 1193 Old 01-16-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JoeKustra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 6,587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by djvitamind View Post

After messing with this I could finally get it to display DSD but run into another problem maybe you would know about.

My SACD player, and Yamaha for that matter, is used only for audio and I normally do not have the HDMI out of from the Yamaha going into my monitor.

When I do have it plugged in I can get the Yamaha to display DSD. But when I do not have it connected it will only display PCM.

Any idea why it will only display DSD when connected?

Thanks

A bug? I assume you mean turned on and plugged in, not just plugged in. Maybe an active HDMI switch box might fake it out. Is CEC - HDMI Control disabled? Just guessing since I still show DSD on the front panel with the TV off.
JoeKustra is offline  
post #887 of 1193 Old 01-16-2012, 07:43 AM
Member
 
djvitamind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

A bug? I assume you mean turned on and plugged in, not just plugged in. Maybe an active HDMI switch box might fake it out. Is CEC - HDMI Control disabled? Just guessing since I still show DSD on the front panel with the TV off.

Yeah turned on and plugged in. I can be playing a SACD and the Yamaha shows DSD but the moment I switch the HDMI Input on my monitor from the Yamaha to my say Desktop it will cause the SACD player to stop. When I start the SACD player up again it will only display PCM on the Yamaha.

I am wondering if that is more of problem with the Pioneer now. I'll check out some other forums.

Thanks for the help though I appreciate it. Was going crazy for a while.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

djvitamind is offline  
post #888 of 1193 Old 01-16-2012, 08:33 AM
Member
 
djvitamind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

A bug? I assume you mean turned on and plugged in, not just plugged in. Maybe an active HDMI switch box might fake it out. Is CEC - HDMI Control disabled? Just guessing since I still show DSD on the front panel with the TV off.

I swapped out the Pioneer with a Sony BDP-S370 and sure enough DSD displays properly and works fine. Looks like the problem is with the Pioneer DV-610AV.

I can even switch the HDMI sources on the monitor and Sony continues to play. At least its good to know the Yamaha works properly.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

djvitamind is offline  
post #889 of 1193 Old 01-24-2012, 07:59 PM
Newbie
 
BadEyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchiasson View Post

I have a quick question about the Sirius IR input on the 867, and I hope someone can help.

I just finished setting up my father-in-law's receiver on his network, and we tried to listen to his XM account. We logged in using his account as well as my account, as we both pay for the online subscription. It didn't matter which one we used the system just sat at the "Please wait." screen. We let it sit there for easily 5 minutes with nothing happening. I know the network connection works because we can listen to the Pandora app. As a side note, he is also running the most recent firmware; I updated it this afternoon as soon as the message popped on the screen.

I tried searching the forum, but all I really found was talk about the XML not updating or updating randomly.

Did SiriusXM kill the Yamaha app when they redesigned their website a few months ago? Or does it take an obnoxiously long time the first time you log in? Or might there be something else?


Thanks.

I have this login problem as well and it started just a month or two ago. All of my other streaming services run fine. My bigger issue is that some of my Sirius channels will be randomly unable to play. That is, I will be listening to one channel, select another, and the system will try to connect and buffer but will ultimately say that it cannot play the station. This never happens on most of the channels I select but seems to happen quite often on the 80's on 8, Spectrum, and 1st Wave channels.

I swapped out my ethernet cables and tried a new ethernet switch box and those things seemed to temporarily help. It goes back to having problems pretty quickly however.

I am going to do some more trouble shooting but this seem pretty clearly to be related to the change that Sirius/XM made in their streaming system login and online look and feel a few months back. Surely, they have done something that the Yamaha receiver does not like. I am hoping for an upgrade to fix this but I doubt if the service is high enough of a priority for them to work on. I will try to get in touch with Yamaha support in the next few days to see if they know anything.
BadEyes is offline  
post #890 of 1193 Old 01-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Member
 
kicksavedave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperxr69 View Post

Harmony setup with the 867 question...

I often need to switch the AudioIn to another source and leave Video alone. Is there a way to make a sequence on Harmony to do this??? Maybe I am overlooking the obvious??

Thanks

Depends on which Harmony Remote you have, but what I did for mine to edit settings that aren't on the main buttons of the harmony is to add those settings onto the extra buttons portion, usually the small graphic display on the newer Harmony remotes. You may have to use page 2 or page 3 if you already have page 1 filled up. If the setting can be selected directly (like Audio Input 4) from the Yamaha remote, you can simply add that command to page 2( or 3). If the setting has to be scrolled through (like Audio Input ?) then add that and you'll simply have to press the button to scroll through until you get to the right input.

The Scene buttons do this for you on the Yamaha and are customizable, but the Harmony can do the same things. If you want to make a sequence to do a few steps, the Harmony lets you build that too. Go to Edit Settings for the activity and select "I want to add more control" (or something close to that) and that will allow you to build added commands into the sequence for a particular activity. Its there, you just gotta find it.
kicksavedave is offline  
post #891 of 1193 Old 01-28-2012, 11:18 AM
Member
 
accohn12's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone, I tried searching, but honestly I'm not even sure what to search for. I recently bought the RX-V867, and I have a Samsung LCD TV (LN550A), and a Samsung BD player (I forget what model), w/ a Verizon cable box hooked up. I believe I have them each hooked up properly, as I have the TV hooked up via HDMI (TV HDMI In, Receiver HDMI Out), and the BD player is hooked up via HDMI (BD HDMI out, Receiver HDMI In1)...and the cable box is hooked up into HDMI In2. The TV functions properly, as I can watch TV with the receiver either on or off, however I can't turn on my BD player without it automatically turning on my receiver. Also, sometimes when I shut the receiver off after it being on, and go to turn on my tv, the TV doesn't recognize the cable input...so I have to turn the receiver back on and off. Sorry if this sounds confusing, but I'm by no means an expert with A/V. Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
accohn12 is offline  
post #892 of 1193 Old 01-28-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JoeKustra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 6,587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by accohn12 View Post

Hi everyone, I tried searching, but honestly I'm not even sure what to search for. I recently bought the RX-V867, and I have a Samsung LCD TV (LN550A), and a Samsung BD player (I forget what model), w/ a Verizon cable box hooked up. I believe I have them each hooked up properly, as I have the TV hooked up via HDMI (TV HDMI In, Receiver HDMI Out), and the BD player is hooked up via HDMI (BD HDMI out, Receiver HDMI In1)...and the cable box is hooked up into HDMI In2. The TV functions properly, as I can watch TV with the receiver either on or off, however I can't turn on my BD player without it automatically turning on my receiver. Also, sometimes when I shut the receiver off after it being on, and go to turn on my tv, the TV doesn't recognize the cable input...so I have to turn the receiver back on and off. Sorry if this sounds confusing, but I'm by no means an expert with A/V. Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You have learned that CEC (HDMI Control) works ok to turn on inputs but sucks when you turn something off. Perhaps someone with your hardware can give you better help. I have CEC (HDMI control) disabled on everything. My problem I guess, since I have some non-CEC devices connected. So I do what humans have done for while: fight gravity and turn things on manually. I call it exercise.
JoeKustra is offline  
post #893 of 1193 Old 01-28-2012, 06:24 PM
Senior Member
 
eliteconcept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone,
has anyone used the v867 dual outputs to output from a comcast hd box?
eliteconcept is offline  
post #894 of 1193 Old 01-28-2012, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JoeKustra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 6,587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliteconcept View Post

Hey everyone,
has anyone used the v867 dual outputs to output from a comcast hd box?

If you are missing data from one or more HDMI outputs, cycle the outputs with the remote's HDMI OUT button.
JoeKustra is offline  
post #895 of 1193 Old 01-29-2012, 06:40 AM
Senior Member
 
eliteconcept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the suggestion. After some research I found that my comcast set top box only allows 2 downstream devices, which I had before I tried to hook up a second device to the hdmi out 2.
Comcast suggested a couple other HD boxes that will allow 3 devices downstream. I'm going to try one of those.


On another topic, my ps3 worked with the dual output, no problem. However I did not get any sound on my second display device.
Any thoughts on that problem?
eliteconcept is offline  
post #896 of 1193 Old 01-29-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TheaterChad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliteconcept View Post

Thanks for the suggestion. After some research I found that my comcast set top box only allows 2 downstream devices, which I had before I tried to hook up a second device to the hdmi out 2.
Comcast suggested a couple other HD boxes that will allow 3 devices downstream. I'm going to try one of those.

Was this only because of hooking another device to HDMI out2 of the 867?

Something sounds weird, if your running your comcast HD box to the cable box HDMI input on the 867, why should it matter about 2 or 3 devices down stream, when the reciever is doing the digital switching? Sounds like a faulty HD cable box, as it really should not matter when using the dual HDMI outputs of the 867....

The Dual output HDMI of the 867 shows the same image on both HDMI out's displays, so why would this even be an issue, would love to hear this one.....

As I understand how dual HDMI works, which was the reason behind it, be able to watch two displays with the same output, like having a party and watching the superbowl, and seeing it on two seperate displays, but when you change the channel on the HD cable box, both screens change at the same time.

I would call Yamaha direct, as this does not make any sense to me ( but as I've got older, more and more things seem not to make much sense too, LOL )
I will call Yamaha and get their response to this as well.....
TheaterChad is offline  
post #897 of 1193 Old 01-29-2012, 01:26 PM
Senior Member
 
eliteconcept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
THanks for your response. I thought the same thing as you did, but apparently this is not the case in reality. As I said the PS3 works fine except for no audio on display #2, which is odd.
I do think I'll call up yamaha and see what they say at the very least about no audio.. and ask them about the hdcp issue.
I'll feedback when I hear what they say
eliteconcept is offline  
post #898 of 1193 Old 01-29-2012, 01:53 PM
Senior Member
 
eliteconcept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just spoke with support. The guy said that my issue may be that the hd box can't push out the signal with enough power, so it cuts out both displays all together. He stated the hd box should not know that there are 2 devices hooked up to the reciever. He did suggest that it could be a funky hd box, or that a different HD box may work. He also stated that my PS3 dual out with no sound on my second display may be the same issue. The ps3 may not have enough power to push out audio and video to two devices, so it just cuts out the audio. He did suggest to try setting the ps3 audio settings to automatic.
eliteconcept is offline  
post #899 of 1193 Old 01-29-2012, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TheaterChad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliteconcept View Post

Just spoke with support. The guy said that my issue may be that the hd box can't push out the signal with enough power, so it cuts out both displays all together. He stated the hd box should not know that there are 2 devices hooked up to the reciever. He did suggest that it could be a funky hd box, or that a different HD box may work. He also stated that my PS3 dual out with no sound on my second display may be the same issue. The ps3 may not have enough power to push out audio and video to two devices, so it just cuts out the audio. He did suggest to try setting the ps3 audio settings to automatic.

Sounds good, I do know the special buttons to access the advanced settings in the comcast HD box, where you can adjust a few settings, but I like your previous idea of using a " newer " HD box, a try, and see how it goes, with a situation like this, I'm still against using the second HDMI out of any receiver for this reason as in reality you really should not need it, if I want multiple displays showing the same source, I built a HTPC with a Ceton HD tuner card, and I run 4 extenders, and watch the same on many sets, and the receiver has an input just for that.

My current comcast HD box is having massive HDMI issues and I have to exchange it for a newer one with-out DVR, would be interesting to see which models are their newest ones w/o dvr.
TheaterChad is offline  
post #900 of 1193 Old 01-30-2012, 07:03 AM
Member
 
mchiasson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadEyes View Post

I have this login problem as well and it started just a month or two ago. All of my other streaming services run fine. My bigger issue is that some of my Sirius channels will be randomly unable to play. That is, I will be listening to one channel, select another, and the system will try to connect and buffer but will ultimately say that it cannot play the station. This never happens on most of the channels I select but seems to happen quite often on the 80's on 8, Spectrum, and 1st Wave channels.

I swapped out my ethernet cables and tried a new ethernet switch box and those things seemed to temporarily help. It goes back to having problems pretty quickly however.

I am going to do some more trouble shooting but this seem pretty clearly to be related to the change that Sirius/XM made in their streaming system login and online look and feel a few months back. Surely, they have done something that the Yamaha receiver does not like. I am hoping for an upgrade to fix this but I doubt if the service is high enough of a priority for them to work on. I will try to get in touch with Yamaha support in the next few days to see if they know anything.


The issue revolved around the username my father-in-law had. It was an XM one prior to the merger. We had his username changed from his email address, which was 22 characters, to his name, which was 15 characters, and it works fine now. I found a thread in a different forum that mentioned the username length issue. I wish I could find it again to link here, but I can't. If I remember right, the username has to be 20 characters or less. Hope this helps you out.
mchiasson is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V867 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V867 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off