Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1179 Old 06-24-2011, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKoprowski View Post

I had to haggle a bit. They were marked $459 on clearance. I told them Best Buy had a Denon AVR-891 I was interested in for $399.99 and I may just get that one. The Denon was also a 800.00 receiver when it first came out too- like the Yamaha. The salesman got the manager and the manager said I could have the 867 for $399. Not sure if all HHgregg work that way, but my local one was very pleasant to deal with.

Just left the other area store that had some left. Marked $599 and they would only go to $549. They said the other prices must have been open box or a grand opening. I said I can get it on Newegg for $429 and they didn't want the sale.
This was Fair Lakes in northern Virginia.

Update:
Just ordered from NewEgg. Two more business days I guess until I can hook up.

Anyway, regarding the 867, is there a firmware upgrade or anything to do when I get it home. I'll probably order a wireless adapter to use with it this weekend (no LAN port near there), and I thought I read you can do upgrades over ethernet.

This is going in an enclosed cabinet so I was going to rig up some cooling via a case fan. Anyone else do this? Could you recommend a good quiet fan? The thread on this was gigantic, I went through pages and never found an answer to this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1179 Old 06-24-2011, 06:32 PM

Just got my 867 today,,,,,got it in ONE day from the good folks from Newegg.
Why would you want to haggle or shop and deal with traffic and the people at the store for a better price,,,makes no sense to me,,,Best to order from newegg.
Have mine setup within 30 mins and went to the Network and got Thousands of radio stations with Vtuner(its free}..Will check tomorrow for Updates from the internet.......Great to have a WIFI yamaha 867 with useing a wireless bridge.....JT
post #93 of 1179 Old 06-24-2011, 06:42 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnytuinals View Post

Why would you want to haggle or shop and deal with traffic and the people at the store for a better price,,,makes no sense to me,,,Best to order from newegg.
Have mine setup within 30 mins and went to the Network and got Thousands of radio stations with Vtuner(its free}..Will check tomorrow for Updates from the internet.......Great to have a WIFI yamaha 867 with useing a wireless bridge.....JT

I got mine from NE too, and the only benefit I see in going to a store instead is the box doesn't get treated like a football by UPS. Everything I get delivered by them looks like it has been to hell and back. My new polk monitor speakers came the other day with a whole side of the box was ripped wide open
post #94 of 1179 Old 06-24-2011, 07:14 PM

Kinda sucks to always have UPS screwing up your boxes
I never had that problem and I am always getting new toys lol.........JT
post #95 of 1179 Old 06-24-2011, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Because when I decided I was not happy with the 867 for what I paid for it and the lacking amplifier section, I simply drove back to the store and got a refund. Try that with egg. You will be out some shipping and time. I felt this was a more convenient option for me and glad I went that way. My Pioneer Elite amp is a hard one to beat without shelling out serious cash. Now for the price on egg I can almost live with the unit, but must pay tax and ultimately it is not all I want. May be all I need but we all know how that goes.
post #96 of 1179 Old 06-24-2011, 08:01 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtReynolds View Post

Anyway, regarding the 867, is there a firmware upgrade or anything to do when I get it home. I'll probably order a wireless adapter to use with it this weekend (no LAN port near there), and I thought I read you can do upgrades over ethernet.

Yes, you can and should update your unit over ethernet. If nothing else, you'll gain Pandora.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtReynolds View Post

This is going in an enclosed cabinet so I was going to rig up some cooling via a case fan. Anyone else do this? Could you recommend a good quiet fan? The thread on this was gigantic, I went through pages and never found an answer to this.

You might want to check out http://www.coolerguys.com/. They can set you up with an all-in-one setup if you don't want to go to the trouble of assembling your own parts and power supply.
post #97 of 1179 Old 06-25-2011, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post

I got mine from NE too, and the only benefit I see in going to a store instead is the box doesn't get treated like a football by UPS. Everything I get delivered by them looks like it has been to hell and back. My new polk monitor speakers came the other day with a whole side of the box was ripped wide open

I do like to support my local store when I can as well. I did look locally and no one could come close to this deal. It is nice to go in and look/play with the toys.

Scott Wood
post #98 of 1179 Old 06-25-2011, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwood2 View Post

Does anyone know if the HDMI output ports are independent? So if I hook up one output to a 1080P TV and the other to a 720P TV, do both outputs drop down to 720?

What if the 720 TV was not on?

Thx

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I have a 75' and 35' run to make with the HDMI cables. I am hoping to use one of the HDMI ports for these 720p TV's and HDMI port 2 direct to my main 1080P TV.

I am thinking that I would need a powered splitter to make this work with these lengths? Anyone do anything different or have a recommendation on a splitter?

Thx (mine comes on Tuesday )

Scott Wood
post #99 of 1179 Old 06-25-2011, 06:39 AM

I like the power and sound of the amps in my v2700 but need more hdmi and 3D capability. My thought is to use a V867 as a pre/pro while using the 2700 amps. Thoughts on this setup?
post #100 of 1179 Old 06-25-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:

I was just hoping to get one to start hooking up this weekend. I even would have been willing to pay a bit more to have it in my hands, but my local HHGreggs didn't want to play ball.
post #101 of 1179 Old 06-25-2011, 09:55 AM

As many of the original V867 owners know, long before the creation of this "Official RX-V867" thread, all 867 discussion was posted in this> Yamaha RX-V667/RX-V767 thread. Be aware you'll find a ton of valuable 867 information that thread because, with the exception of networking, most of what applies to the 667 also applies to the 867. NET: Be sure to search that thread for any questions or issues you may be having with your 867 as you may find the answer faster than waiting for a response in this thread.

RX-V867 Firmware Update
Thanks to the 867's networking feature the firmware update is much easier than performing it on the 667. That said... the 867 owners manual doesn't do a very good job of explaining the specific process. After flipping back and forth through the owners manual to determine the necessary steps I decided to write down the step by step instructions to save myself from future aggravation.

NOTE: During this firmware update process don't bother attempting to use your TV or the on screen display. Although there may be information displayed... you'll be performing all the firmware update steps via the display on the front of the receiver. Also... although you may have a functioning wireless network... for this firmware update I'd suggest using a hardwired internet connection just to play it safe. (would be a shame to have the network drop the connection and brick your unit in the process)

FIRMWARE UPDATE STEPS FOR THE YAMAHA RX-V867

Perform all the following steps on the front of your receiver

1) Turn the 867 OFF - NOTE: When the unit is off, this is what Yamaha calls Standby Mode... (only the red LED on the left side of the unit will be glowing)
2) With the unit Off... on the front of the receiver, press and hold in the STRAIGHT button, then... while holding the STRAIGHT button depressed... power the unit on. (i.e, press the button labeled MAIN ZONE).
.... Almost immediately the receiver display will show ADVANCED SETUP. (watch closely as the advanced setup message is only on the display for a few seconds before it will change to SP IMP. 8ohmMIN)
3) Rotate the PROGRAM selector knob until you see FIRM UPDATE in the receiver display
4) Press the INFO button on the front of the receiver. - Almost immediately the receiver display will show NETWORK UPDATE, ... at this point (if your unit is downlevel) the firmware update process will begin.

NOTE: Be aware the Firmware update takes about 16 minutes. So be patient. DO NOT power down your receiver during the update process. (in fact, just to be safe, I wouldn't do anything with the setup during the update process.)
When the firmware update is finished the display will show UPDATE SUCCESS...followed by the message PLEASE POWER OFF

That's it... after you power the unit off and back on you will be at the current firmware level.
post #102 of 1179 Old 06-25-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwood2 View Post

I do like to support my local store when I can as well. I did look locally and no one could come close to this deal. It is nice to go in and look/play with the toys.

Yeah I was going to try and get it from ABS Warehouse, but I called them and they didn't carry the 867.

Where are you located in SE MI? I'm in monroe.
post #103 of 1179 Old 06-25-2011, 10:48 AM

Anyone would know where on the 867 could I find the Vtuner serial number so I
can use their website?
Also how would I save the Vtuner Stations on the 867?.Thanks JT
post #104 of 1179 Old 06-25-2011, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Elton Noway,

Very well done. Clear, concise, comprehenive. Would you consider working for Yamaha? I think they need you.

Mike K

post #105 of 1179 Old 06-25-2011, 12:51 PM

Have a question i really want to pull the trigger on this reciever today how ever i was wondering one thing, my old sony STR-DG820 is rated at
110W x 7 and has a power consumption of 250W. Would this reciever deliver more power being its 95W x 7 with a power consumption of 400 watts.

post #106 of 1179 Old 06-25-2011, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Anyone would know where on the 867 could I find the Vtuner serial number so I
can use their website?
Also how would I save the Vtuner Stations on the 867?.Thanks JT

I asked the same question a couple of weeks ago and got no replies...
post #107 of 1179 Old 06-25-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKoprowski View Post

Set up the 867 last night. It is replacing an Onkyo 674. Great sound- has a bit more "soundstage" then the Onkyo. Few things disappoint me though and not sure if it is enough to take it back or not:

1. There is no way to disable the onscreen display for the volume control. Kind of annoying to see that in the middle of the screen.

To make sure I understand this correctly, if I'm watching a movie or TV show that requires me to constantly use the remote to adjust the volume because of loud/quiet scenes, a volume level indicator will constantly pop-up on the screen? That would be terrible! I haven't seem any sound level correction built into a device that handles the extremes in volume to the extent that manual adjustment is not needed when trying not to disturb others.
post #108 of 1179 Old 06-25-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by next365 View Post

To make sure I understand this correctly, if I'm watching a movie or TV show that requires me to constantly use the remote to adjust the volume because of loud/quiet scenes, a volume level indicator will constantly pop-up on the screen? That would be terrible! I haven't seem any sound level correction built into a device that handles the extremes in volume to the extent that manual adjustment is not needed when trying not to disturb others.

Yes, a volume level indicator will pop up on screen whenever you make a volume adjustment.
post #109 of 1179 Old 06-25-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

I asked the same question a couple of weeks ago and got no replies...

I am glad I am not the only one that want to save Vtuner stations on the 867.........JT
post #110 of 1179 Old 06-25-2011, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflections View Post

I like the power and sound of the amps in my v2700 but need more hdmi and 3D capability. My thought is to use a V867 as a pre/pro while using the 2700 amps. Thoughts on this setup?

Man!

You're gonna need a LOT of shelf space!

Probably sound really nice with 2700 set to pure direct just on your fronts. Don't forget to block the IR sensor!

Mike

post #111 of 1179 Old 06-25-2011, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dregan View Post

Have a question i really want to pull the trigger on this reciever today how ever i was wondering one thing, my old sony STR-DG820 is rated at
110W x 7 and has a power consumption of 250W. Would this reciever deliver more power being its 95W x 7 with a power consumption of 400 watts.

Dregan,

I don't know your sony model, but it stands to reason that an AVR with pwr supply rated at 400w is going to have a lot more oomph available via the amplifiers (any or all channels) than another AVR with only a 250w power supply.

Take a look on the main AMP/Processor Forum--Top stickies by MichaelJHuman. What he says makes sense to me.

Mkard

post #112 of 1179 Old 06-25-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Chemist View Post

I was hoping someone with a Harmony remote had played around. The Yamaha RX-Z11 has discrete on and off commands. Any RX-V867 owners that have a Harmony remote willing to try it out?

I got my 867 yesterday and had my Harmony 670 Remote (yeah, old school) set up with it shortly thereafter. As usual with a new device it took a few tweaks to get the Harmony dialed in right but it handles the power function fine. I used the custom buttons on the 670 remote to program the Scene functions just to make sure that if all the changes the remote sent didn't take properly, I could just click the scene and the 867 would then snap to the right config.

I updated the firmware tonight and I am flat out loving pulling Pandora directly to the receiver. Now I can send my WMP library to the 867 or grab Pandora directly from the 867, wither way works fine.

Question for the experts, I can't seem to send any video through WMP to the 867, they all say Media Not Supported. My music streams to it just fine but not any of my videos. Any suggestions?

Going to watch Inception on BD now, loving this receiver!
post #113 of 1179 Old 06-25-2011, 10:12 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksavedave View Post

I updated the firmware tonight and I am flat out loving pulling Pandora directly to the receiver. Now I can send my WMP library to the 867 or grab Pandora directly from the 867, wither way works fine.

Question for the experts, I can't seem to send any video through WMP to the 867, they all say Media Not Supported. My music streams to it just fine but not any of my videos. Any suggestions?

Going to watch Inception on BD now, loving this receiver!

Mainstream receivers are not currently able to stream video over the network. [There are one or two htib combo bluray/receiver oddballs]
post #114 of 1179 Old 06-25-2011, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Chemist View Post

Does the remote have discrete on/off power buttons or is it a power toggle? The Harmony database only has the toggle. Kind of a deal breaker for me if not. Otherwise it looks great.

FYI: I have an RX-V667 which I suspect has the identical ('current year') IR code set. I also have an approx 5 year old HTR-5860 ("same as" the RX-V657). The HTR-5860 remote has separate "System Power" and "Standby" buttons . . . which also function as discrete on|off commands for my RX-V667.

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #115 of 1179 Old 06-25-2011, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dregan View Post

Without a doubt it will. It is a numbers game. Nothing to discuss here.
post #116 of 1179 Old 06-26-2011, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strife1013 View Post

Thank you for this, it was because of this discount that I ordered this from NewEgg just a few mintues ago. So what are your thoughts on this reciever? I am coming from a Pioneer VSX-917V. With the Pioneer I didn't have HDMI audio which was a real turn off I am excited to see what my system can really do now. What do you think of my setup? Is there anything that could use improvement?

My entertainment setup:
TV-56" Samsung DLP 1080P
Playstation 3 and a Sony BDPS570 for Blu-Rays

~Speakers Setup~
Receiver-Yamaha RX-V867 (On the way...)
Front-Polk Audio Monitor 70
Center-Polk Audio CS2
Surround/Rear-Polk Audio Monitor 60
Sub-Polk Audio PSW505 12-Inch Powered Subwoofer

Note: First time posting here so getting used to the forum rules, hope I can post my equipment setup.

I have a similar setup, i just orderd the 867 today myself, my setup consist of polk Series II from newegg wich are the M70's fronts, cs2 center, M30's X 4 for surrounds and dual PSW505 Subs, im coming from a sony STR-DG820 AVR.
My display is a epson 8350 Projector on a 100" screen and the only thing i will be hooking up is my PS3 and 360

post #117 of 1179 Old 06-26-2011, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by next365 View Post

I'm not sure how that is terrible? If you decide to adjust the volume on the TV it probably shows the volume indicator on the screen so I fail to see the difference.
post #118 of 1179 Old 06-26-2011, 01:36 AM

Im actully looking forward to the on screen volume because the way my stuff is setup when im sitting on my couch i have to do complete 180 degrees a turn round to see the volume level

post #119 of 1179 Old 06-26-2011, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post

Yeah I was going to try and get it from ABS Warehouse, but I called them and they didn't carry the 867.

Where are you located in SE MI? I'm in monroe.

I also checked with ABC warehouse and found the same thing. Best Buy had it but it was something like full retail.

I am in Farmington Hills, Just north of Detroit.

Scott Wood
post #120 of 1179 Old 06-26-2011, 03:45 AM

Quote:

I am glad I am not the only one that want to save Vtuner stations on the 867.........JT

I am looking forward to the Vtuner as well. Don't have the unit yet so I have not tried to register but we did look on line and this model is not listed.

Scott Wood
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V867 Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page