The Official Yamaha RX-V867 Owners Thread - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 1193 Old 03-28-2014, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

I have this receiver connected by HDMI to the Samsung TV and a lot of video sources , like players, tv box, roku ete connected to the number of receiver inputs.

There is only one issue I cant fix- when I turn my TV and the receiver to watch one of receiver inputs, it starts to work OK, receiver displays proper input (say, HDMI 3 for my Roku), but after a few seconds the receiver switches Audio to AV1 and sound therefore disappears and I need to press the required input (ex, HDMI 3)on the remote once again, and sound restores.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1193 Old 03-28-2014, 07:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimbmw View Post

Hi

I have this receiver connected by HDMI to the Samsung TV and a lot of video sources , like players, tv box, roku ete connected to the number of receiver inputs.

There is only one issue I cant fix- when I turn my TV and the receiver to watch one of receiver inputs, it starts to work OK, receiver displays proper input (say, HDMI 3 for my Roku), but after a few seconds the receiver switches Audio to AV1 and sound therefore disappears and I need to press the required input (ex, HDMI 3)on the remote once again, and sound restores.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Turn off HDMI Control and ARC.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #1173 of 1193 Old 03-30-2014, 07:07 AM

Hello all,

I've had this receiver well over a year now, and just last week it stopped functioning. The red standby light is on but the unit will not power on at all beyond the standby light.

I'd like to tinker with it (it is no longer under warranty), and I thought I would start by ordering the service manual. However, on the Yamaha 24x7 Resource Portal website, the model number isn't even recognized.

Has anyone ever ordered the service manual for this receiver? If so where did you order from?

Thanks for any info,

Nick

post #1174 of 1193 Old 03-30-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickster79 View Post

Hello all,

I've had this receiver well over a year now, and just last week it stopped functioning. The red standby light is on but the unit will not power on at all beyond the standby light.

I'd like to tinker with it (it is no longer under warranty), and I thought I would start by ordering the service manual. However, on the Yamaha 24x7 Resource Portal website, the model number isn't even recognized.

Has anyone ever ordered the service manual for this receiver? If so where did you order from?

Thanks for any info,

Nick

I've never seen a standby light, red or otherwise. Where is it located?

post #1175 of 1193 Old 03-30-2014, 10:19 AM

I don't think I used the correct terminology. The small red LED next to the power button is on when the receiver is plugged in, but the LCD display will not come on, nor will the receiver function when I press the power button or try to turn on the receiver with the remote.

post #1176 of 1193 Old 03-30-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickster79 View Post

I don't think I used the correct terminology. The small red LED next to the power button is on when the receiver is plugged in, but the LCD display will not come on, nor will the receiver function when I press the power button or try to turn on the receiver with the remote.

Sorry, I checked the manual. There are three conditions that will cause the LED next to the MAIN button to come on. I have never done any of the three conditions, hence I didn't know it existed.

post #1177 of 1193 Old 06-04-2014, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I would like to use the 12v trigger on my 867 to power up the iNuke3000dsp for my upcoming sub build. What do I need to do to make this work? Cable, setup, etc?
post #1178 of 1193 Old 06-13-2014, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Pre outs not working

Hello. I bought a used 867. I have a Bose 5.1 speaker system. My LFE pre out is sending no signal to the bass module. I have changed all speaker settings in 867 menu but nothing. I tried hooking up a pair of active front speakers via pre outs front left and front right and no signal there either. I tried three different subs and nothing. Hooked all three to an old Sony receiver and they all worked. I do get a very minimum low end from sub but I'm pretty sure that is due to having front speakers set to large, since the speaker wires all run through the bass module then to each satellite because that minimal low end comes through even when LFE is unplugged.

Anyone ever have this problem? Is there a way to turn "pre outs" on or are they permanently on? Can you blow a preamp?

I appreciate your time and responses!

Thanks
SoulBoyBlue
post #1179 of 1193 Old 06-13-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulBoyBlue View Post
Hello. I bought a used 867. I have a Bose 5.1 speaker system. My LFE pre out is sending no signal to the bass module. I have changed all speaker settings in 867 menu but nothing. I tried hooking up a pair of active front speakers via pre outs front left and front right and no signal there either. I tried three different subs and nothing. Hooked all three to an old Sony receiver and they all worked. I do get a very minimum low end from sub but I'm pretty sure that is due to having front speakers set to large, since the speaker wires all run through the bass module then to each satellite because that minimal low end comes through even when LFE is unplugged.

Anyone ever have this problem? Is there a way to turn "pre outs" on or are they permanently on? Can you blow a preamp?

Thanks
SoulBoyBlue
First, you can enable the LFE by setting it always on in Setup - Subwoofer - Always use. Source content doesn't count this way.

Also, when active, the front panel will show the speaker enabled just below the volume level.
post #1180 of 1193 Old 08-02-2014, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thumbs down Pandora suddenly stopped working - Receiver or Pandora?

Hi all...

Have had this receiver since new, and [knock on wood] nothing wrong has happened {once I got through the steep features learning curve} until now.

From what we can figure out, I was listening to Pandora in the evening of July 31st. Yesterday (Friday August 1st), we got home after work & eating out, decided to watch a BluRay, caught local news, went to bed, and woke up this morning with "Access Error" when trying to PLAY Pandora stations. More on that PLAY emphasis in a moment.

Went through network troubleshooting, and realized that I DID have network/Internet connection - bookmarked Internet radio sites played AOK. Did quick check and confirmed that I have most recent [v2.43] receiver firmware (and that update check also confirmed good connection to Internet).

Circled back to Pandora function... realized that while cycling through NET inputs, if I hit Stop button on remote when I got to Pandora, the list of my station presets came up... meaning the receiver app was probably logging in OK. Checked by deleting a station/preset that had not been listened to in ages, and it went away. Change is/was reflected in station lists on other devices, and my account appears OK, as I can play music on my other devices.

So problem appears limited to receiver. Have also tried unplugging power.

Has Yamaha's Pandora access expired for this series of receivers? Has Pandora turned off access? Is there any way to find out if it's a URL gone bad, or a [now-invalid] IP:PORT setting in receiver firmware? And [faint hope] maybe a firmware update/fix.

This is an otherwise perfect receiver - meaning it's not going to get replaced just for this - Being Saturday, I didn't try phone support, and frankly, considering unit's age don't expect much help will be forthcoming.

If I can't get a fix, I going to have to use another device (phone, tablet, laptop) to play Pandora through this receiver. And give up on Yamaha for what (at first glance) might be planned obsolescence.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?
post #1181 of 1193 Old 08-02-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulBoyBlue View Post

Thanks
SoulBoyBlue
Another gotcha might be your having something connected to the corresponding speaker terminals...

Believe receiver is smart enough to notice a speaker connected to <say> Front Right & Left speaker terminals, which causes those Front Pre-Outs to be disabled...

Have seen modern receivers go into "self-protect" mode - speaking from experience <oops!> - when something silly is tried.
post #1182 of 1193 Old 08-02-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdude View Post
I would like to use the 12v trigger on my 867 to power up the iNuke3000dsp for my upcoming sub build. What do I need to do to make this work? Cable, setup, etc?
Haven't had a chance to play with that... (and my receiver's location makes it a bear to do so). And there MIGHT be an available off-the-shelf device to buy...BUT...

Based on what manual says, trigger jack can either put out a small 12vdc signal OR accept one. To be safe, I'd experiment with 12vdc out...

I can't emphasize enough the use of caution, and a good digital voltmeter initially (to see if in fact you can "trigger" 12vdc out)

Myself, to start with, I'd use a spare RCA cable (cut one end and strip to expose the copper), a 12v automotive relay to play with, and use small test cables with insulated alligator clips (have seen these at Radio Shack) - pay attention what terminals on relay you connect to [you want to use the coil] and to not cause any short circuits, and see if you can make relay go "click".

Only after the receiver's function is fully understood would I build a small project case... complete with terminals, jacks, etc..

Have fun, be careful, and good luck...
post #1183 of 1193 Old 08-04-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjberube View Post
Hi all...

Have had this receiver since new, and [knock on wood] nothing wrong has happened {once I got through the steep features learning curve} until now.

From what we can figure out, I was listening to Pandora in the evening of July 31st. Yesterday (Friday August 1st), we got home after work & eating out, decided to watch a BluRay, caught local news, went to bed, and woke up this morning with "Access Error" when trying to PLAY Pandora stations. More on that PLAY emphasis in a moment.

Went through network troubleshooting, and realized that I DID have network/Internet connection - bookmarked Internet radio sites played AOK. Did quick check and confirmed that I have most recent [v2.43] receiver firmware (and that update check also confirmed good connection to Internet).

Circled back to Pandora function... realized that while cycling through NET inputs, if I hit Stop button on remote when I got to Pandora, the list of my station presets came up... meaning the receiver app was probably logging in OK. Checked by deleting a station/preset that had not been listened to in ages, and it went away. Change is/was reflected in station lists on other devices, and my account appears OK, as I can play music on my other devices.

Has Yamaha's Pandora access expired for this series of receivers? Has Pandora turned off access? Is there any way to find out if it's a URL gone bad, or a [now-invalid] IP:PORT setting in receiver firmware? And [faint hope] maybe a firmware update/fix.

This is an otherwise perfect receiver - meaning it's not going to get replaced just for this - Being Saturday, I didn't try phone support, and frankly, considering unit's age don't expect much help will be forthcoming.

If I can't get a fix, I going to have to use another device (phone, tablet, laptop) to play Pandora through this receiver. And give up on Yamaha for what (at first glance) might be planned obsolescence.

I got hit with the same problem yesterday on my yamaha v673 receiver with Pandora ."Access Error"

Tried everything from turning off, removing and adding pandora account back, switching of network and starting back network, yamaha system and so on. No success yet. I have also send an Email to Yamaha Customer Support.

Let me know if you find any solution to this problem.
post #1184 of 1193 Old 08-04-2014, 12:50 PM

Reciever Bricked after network firmware update

I was pretty happy with this receiver. But it just bricked itself the other day when I went to do the last firmware update. I figured this far after release it should be the last update and I'd be safe having waited this long. It got to S2 66% and froze. it was connected to a hard Ethernet line. Only fix is shipping it back to a regional service center sounds like ti's going to cost around $300. I'm buying an Onkyo TX-NR636 to replace it. Very frustrating. Only issue I had was the cutting in and out of the sub woofer even with a y cable.

TC-P50G10, Klipsch KG-4, Klipsch Architectural Refrence 5000 series speakers, Onkyo TX-NR636, BDT-210

Optoma HD79, RX-V2090, HTPC,RX-V867
post #1185 of 1193 Old 08-04-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 161
^ Normally you can still do an update via USB, even if something went wrong during the network update, but the 867 is one of the few models that has a network port but no USB.

Since it has no USB, it will almost certainly support a firmware update from CD, but first we need to find the firmware file...

Last edited by kriktsemaj99; 08-04-2014 at 01:34 PM.
post #1186 of 1193 Old 08-12-2014, 04:50 AM

Sirius Internet Radio info display

After months of extremely spotty functioning, the song title (and other) information has begun to work properly again. Did anyone else experience this same thing?

Pandora display information (which is more complete than Sirius) has always and continues to work properly. (Special note to rjberube and aanto1978 - did you solve your access error problems?)
post #1187 of 1193 Old 08-12-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjberube View Post
Hi all...

OK, I'm guessing Pandora had done an undocumented change to Yamaha owners... (still have the same Yamaha firmware).

Had been using either my phone or tablet to play Pandora since I originally posted...

Just 5 minutes ago, for S & G, decided to try Pandora again playing directly on my RX-V867 receiver, and YAYYYY, it works...

Pandora and/or Yamaha - if you got together to fix this, thank you.

And if this has also resolved "aanto1978" issue with the v673 [which I sincerely hope happens] a double YAYYYY!!!

The latter would strongly point to Pandora's OOPSIE...

Cheers!
post #1188 of 1193 Old 08-20-2014, 08:45 AM

Sirius Internet Radio info display

To update my 08-12-2014 post, Sirius Internet Radio song info display has reverted to functioning intermittently. I’m not going to continue to post on this, but would appreciate any information someone might have, including if your SIR song information currently displays properly or not.
post #1189 of 1193 Old 09-06-2014, 09:47 AM

Liked: 11
Will this AVR pass through 4k and 3D properly? Getting a new TV but really don't want to replace this unit as it still works perfectly.
post #1190 of 1193 Old 09-06-2014, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 161
^ It will pass 3D but not 4K video. I would wait before replacing it because there's really no 4K content at the moment.
post #1191 of 1193 Old 09-06-2014, 06:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
^ It will pass 3D but not 4K video. I would wait before replacing it because there's really no 4K content at the moment.
+1
post #1192 of 1193 Old 09-09-2014, 03:58 AM

Liked: 11
Thanks for the help guys.

Yeah, you are right about no content for 4K. I'll wait to replace the AVR until 4K becomes more prominent.
post #1193 of 1193 Old 09-10-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggen_PCB View Post
Thanks for the help guys.

Yeah, you are right about no content for 4K. I'll wait to replace the AVR until 4K becomes more prominent.
As a workaround you could also try a 4K compatible splitter going from the 4K source to the TV and the receiver. You would need to change the input on the TV, but could still use the receiver for the audio portion of the signal. It would be a $30-$40 investment though which might be better spent toward a receiver upgrade and selling the current one.

Example splitter http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Ultra-H...dp/B00J4D3RTU/
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V867 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V867 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page