AVS Forum banner

The Official Yamaha RX-V867 Owners Thread

188K views 1K replies 245 participants last post by  yomamaha867 
#1 ·
#977 ·
Hi guys, had a quick question for you. I've always had my directv box connected to the 867 via optical, but my new driectv box does not have optical, it has digital coax. so i either need to get a new digital coax cable or connect the directv dvr to the 867 via hdmi.

is there any signal deterioration in going hdmi pass-through on the 867? i rarely use surround sound while watching the directv, mostly just use it for blu-rays, so 99% of my directv viewing will be in hdmi pass-through mode.

thanks for any help

#978 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit_fan  /t/1340354/the-official-yamaha-rx-v867-owners-thread/950_50#post_22316748

Hi guys, had a quick question for you. I've always had my directv box connected to the 867 via optical, but my new driectv box does not have optical, it has digital coax. so i either need to get a new digital coax cable or connect the directv dvr to the 867 via hdmi.

is there any signal deterioration in going hdmi pass-through on the 867? i rarely use surround sound while watching the directv, mostly just use it for blu-rays, so 99% of my directv viewing will be in hdmi pass-through mode.

thanks for any help
Since DSP is not important for you, I would use HDMI. I tried it once and could not find any faults. Coax beats optical only because it is physically more tolerant. But since I use HDMI in an active mode only, you may get other opinions.

#979 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra  /t/1340354/the-official-yamaha-rx-v867-owners-thread/960#post_22316848

Since DSP is not important for you, I would use HDMI. I tried it once and could not find any faults. Coax beats optical only because it is physically more tolerant. But since I use HDMI in an active mode only, you may get other opinions.

thanks for the reply

#981 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins  /t/1340354/the-official-yamaha-rx-v867-owners-thread/960#post_22319578

Why aren't you just using hdmi for audio anyway?

since i very rarely use surround sound while watching my directv i just used the optical for the rare occasion i did want SS. i had read some reports of HD signal being altered(not the 867) if run through a receiver and i just wanted to avoid any problems with that so i hooked the hdmi from directv directly to my tv. i just didn't know if the 867 messed with the picture or if it just passed it through without any modifications.

#982 ·
My 2 front speakers are set up for bi-amp operation. I'm trying to use a separate power amp for the woofers. I cannot get a signal out of the rear/sur/bi-amp pre-amp outputs. Set-up has been done for 5.1/biamp (defeats rear surrounds). Does anyone have this setup working?

#985 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins  /t/1340354/the-official-yamaha-rx-v867-owners-thread/960#post_22323035

TV's have speakers?
Actually, I suspect the concept of a TV with speakers might stay around for longer than you expect!

The 85" prototype|proof-of-concept|"roadshow" UHDTV from NHK pictured at this 2011 EBU demo (link) is designed to provide full 22.2 channel surround sound playback in rooms where installing 22 separate satellite speakers is impractical; instead, it uses 100+ "small" speaker units in a frame around all four sides of the display, plus some proprietary active-DSP|soundbar-style technology, to deliver "the same" playback soundfield to the audience.

And I'm guessing there might have been a separate sub or two . . . but we don't know if there was also (e.g.) a pair of "tallboy" speaker arrays placed in the rear corners of the room!

_

#987 ·
Is there something wrong with my FM tuner? I can get stations fine but I have an fm broadcaster from my computer upstairs, but my fm tuner on the yamaha can never pick it up. I actually placed my fm broadcaster right next to the yamaha fm antenna and it picked it up briefly, but when I changed the fm stations and then tried to go back, I heard nothing. I have no problem picking up the signal on my crappy clock/radio and had no problems with an old harmon kardon downstairs previously. Any suggestions?

#988 ·
Ok so I've had my receiver for about a year now, and yesterday as I was watching a blue-ray showing a friend my setup (at a good volume), the center channel stopped working. I have had this happen before, my sub literally just shook loose a connection to either my receiver or the back of the speaker terminal. I checked all connections and they were fine. So I did a check to see if the speaker would work on another channel, and it worked fine when trying it on all other channels, so I know that its not the speaker. It must be that center channel that went out on the receiver right? Should I just call yamaha and swap out the receiver? Its still under warranty right?

#990 ·
Hello, i just joined this forum and was thrilled that the Yamaha RX-V867 has its own thread. I recently bought this receiver and am trying to learn the interface. One of the simplest things I wanted to try was to connect my SONY CDP-C615 CD changer to the receiver to listen to some music. I know, old tech but I have a lot of CD's. Anyway, I connected the changer to the receiver using standard audio cables and could not get sound to come out through the speakers. I tried digital audio optical cable and still nothing. I am hoping that i am just missing a step in the configuration process but can't determine what that is. Any help would be appreciated.

#991 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmbro  /t/1340354/the-official-yamaha-rx-v867-owners-thread/950_50#post_22382895

Hello, i just joined this forum and was thrilled that the Yamaha RX-V867 has its own thread. I recently bought this receiver and am trying to learn the interface. One of the simplest things I wanted to try was to connect my SONY CDP-C615 CD changer to the receiver to listen to some music. I know, old tech but I have a lot of CD's. Anyway, I connected the changer to the receiver using standard audio cables and could not get sound to come out through the speakers. I tried digital audio optical cable and still nothing. I am hoping that i am just missing a step in the configuration process but can't determine what that is. Any help would be appreciated.

Did you buy a new unit or a used unit? If used, start by doing a full reset. If new, did you run YPAO?

I would take the CD's RW wires and hook them to the AUDIO1 input then select that input (left dial). The physical input is always displayed dimly in the upper left corner.

#992 ·
Hello Joe, thanks for your response. This is a brand new unit. I ran the YPAO for my blu ray connection and all speakers had sound for the set up and then also were awesome for the movie I watched. Are you suggesting that I need to run a separate YPAO for the CD player just like I did for the blu ray player? Incidentally, I had tried using the standard red and white audio cables as well as the digital audio cable with the same result, but i will follow your suggestion and do it again. I am assuming that by RW wires you mean RedWhite audio cable. Is it possible that the CD player is just too old technology ? Thanks in advance for your help.

#994 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmbro  /t/1340354/the-official-yamaha-rx-v867-owners-thread/990#post_22383575

...Are you suggesting that I need to run a separate YPAO for the CD player just like I did for the blu ray player?
YPAO doesn't care what input you select (you don't need any input at all to run YPAO). If the CD player is not producing sound, maybe you're not selecting the right input for the connections you made?

#995 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmbro  /t/1340354/the-official-yamaha-rx-v867-owners-thread/950_50#post_22383575

Hello Joe, thanks for your response. This is a brand new unit. I ran the YPAO for my blu ray connection and all speakers had sound for the set up and then also were awesome for the movie I watched. Are you suggesting that I need to run a separate YPAO for the CD player just like I did for the blu ray player? Incidentally, I had tried using the standard red and white audio cables as well as the digital audio cable with the same result, but i will follow your suggestion and do it again. I am assuming that by RW wires you mean RedWhite audio cable. Is it possible that the CD player is just too old technology ? Thanks in advance for your help.
YPAO as stated doesn't need any input. A new unit is odd since these are old. Select Tuner. That should get you some noise. No other content sources? I use an old Radio Shack clock radio for "tuner" since it has HD and is real sensitive. Heck, plug your TV audio out into the V867.

#996 ·
Gents, thanks a bunch for all your input. I went back to the receiver and slowly went over the configuration steps and discovered what I had been doing wrong. After selecting the input where I had plugged in the digital audio optical cable (AV1), I proceeded to the next step and selected the multichannel speakers for the audio. Then, I proceeded to scene selection and found CD listening. Once that was selected I tried to play the music and nothing came out. It was then that I saw that by selecting CD listening scene it was defaulting to AV3 and THAT has been the problem all along. I changed the input back to AV1 and skipped the scene selection to find that all was well. Once, again thanks and a huge DUH !! for me. Live and learn. Joe's comment about the input being important is what made me pay the extra attention to that so thanks Joe. As far as the age of the unit, I misspoke about when I acquired it. I had purchased it over a year ago from Newegg but it has taken this long for my lazy self to figure out how to feed some of the speaker wiring under the rug and to the receiver to get the surround sound among other things so it is like a new receiver to me since I really have not had a chance to use it since last year. Thanks again.

#997 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmbro  /t/1340354/the-official-yamaha-rx-v867-owners-thread/950_50#post_22384713

Gents, thanks a bunch for all your input. .

First, the Scene buttons are a way of saving configuration parameters. Set things up, hold down a scene button for a few seconds until the front panel says "saved", then you have one button access to those parameters.

Second, read all the previous posts. Then read the V667 thread too. Just something to do on a rainy day.

#998 ·
Fought with this for a week, wondered if anyone else ran into this....

I'll be using both HDMI outputs of the RX-867 to run both a TV (in a basement bar) and a 3D projector (in the adjacent media room). Everything worked great until I tried to play anything 3D on the projector. Whatever 3D source I would try (DirecTV, HTPC, 3D BluRay player) would 9 times out of 10 not recognize that I had a 3D capable device connected. The non-3D TV was always OFF when I was attempting this.

Anyway, I noticed that anytime I would turn the TV on or off, the projector would blank, and then come back. I ended up disconnecting the HDMI cable from the TV, and now it all works great.

So.....

Anyone else out there using both HDMI outputs, one with a 3D device and one 2D? I suppose I can work around it, but I'd prefer not to have to remember to yank cables before starting a movie.

If it matters, projector is HDMI out 1, TV is HDMI out 2.

#999 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlambermont  /t/1340354/the-official-yamaha-rx-v867-owners-thread/950_50#post_22400997

Fought with this for a week, wondered if anyone else ran into this....

Anyway, I noticed that anytime I would turn the TV on or off, the projector would blank, and then come back. I ended up disconnecting the HDMI cable from the TV, and now it all works great.

If it matters, projector is HDMI out 1, TV is HDMI out 2.

HDMI is sometimes a pain. I have HDMI/CEC turned off on all devices. Yet if I am watching my Tivo as a STB and turn off the TV, the sound will also turn off for a second and then return. It may do this twice. I live with it.

#1,000 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra  /t/1340354/the-official-yamaha-rx-v867-owners-thread/990#post_22401403

HDMI is sometimes a pain. I have HDMI/CEC turned off on all devices.

Hmmm.... Maybe I'll try connecting the bar TV with component cables, and use just a single HDMI out to the projector. The bar TV is just going to be using the TV speakers, or a couple of ceiling mounted zone 2 speakers anyway. Of course, I'm assuming that the component outputs and HDMI out are both active at the same time, I haven't researched that yet.

#1,001 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlambermont  /t/1340354/the-official-yamaha-rx-v867-owners-thread/990#post_22401958

Hmmm.... Maybe I'll try connecting the bar TV with component cables, and use just a single HDMI out to the projector. The bar TV is just going to be using the TV speakers, or a couple of ceiling mounted zone 2 speakers anyway. Of course, I'm assuming that the component outputs and HDMI out are both active at the same time, I haven't researched that yet.
Long story short, this will only work if your display device (cable box, blu-ray, whatever) is connected to your 867 via component cables. HDCP restrictions really complicate things of this nature...Have you tried running a complete reset of your receiver, then redoing the firmware upgrades?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.