The Official Yamaha RX-V867 Owners Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 1193 Old 06-29-2011, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does this mean that a CD playing through an HDMI or Digital Tos link will not sound in Zone2?

Dual Zone Capability: The Zone2 output allows you to play different sources in two zones. The receiver has dedicated stereo preamp outputs for Zone2, or the built-in amplifier can power speakers in the second zone connected to the Extra Speaker terminals. Only sources connected via analog input scan be output to Zone2. When the receiver is powering speakers in Zone2, the surround back speakers in the main room are turned off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 1193 Old 06-29-2011, 11:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 388
It is easy enough to connect a pair of stereo cables from a CD or DVD player to the input for Zone2. And you probably got cables with your player.

Afro GT
post #153 of 1193 Old 06-29-2011, 05:13 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgott42 View Post

some pre-purchase Q's:
(a) I know that it has 2 HDMI outputs. My question is how many menu buttons do you have to press to switch from one to the other, or are they both always on?
(b) does it have a pre-out for the sub
(c) how well does the auto room setup EQ work (as good as teh Audessey XT)?

TIA

(a) one, One button turns on 1, 1 + 2, 2 or off. It just toggles through them. I like it.
(b) 2 pre outs for sub
(c) I tried it once so far and it seemed ok so far. Only other one I have tried is the HK and I think this is better but the HK was about 10 years old.

Scott Wood
post #154 of 1193 Old 06-29-2011, 05:15 PM

I think so, others have stated this is pretty standard for zone 2. I have not tried it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrios35 View Post

Does this mean that a CD playing through an HDMI or Digital Tos link will not sound in Zone2?

Dual Zone Capability: The Zone2 output allows you to play different sources in two zones. The receiver has dedicated stereo preamp outputs for Zone2, or the built-in amplifier can power speakers in the second zone connected to the Extra Speaker terminals. Only sources connected via analog input scan be output to Zone2. When the receiver is powering speakers in Zone2, the surround back speakers in the main room are turned off.

Scott Wood
post #155 of 1193 Old 06-29-2011, 05:27 PM

Hooked up mine last night and I am pretty happy. Some things I learned:

HDMI outputs - hooked up a 720P set and a 1080p set to output 1 and 2. Signal for the 1080p set was NOT downgraded to 720P when the the 720p set was on. There is a second where the screen goes out when the other set is turned on or off but the signals appear to be independent of each other.

Component outputs - I tried to send component video through the receiver at the same time as the HDMI cables are being used. I could not get this to work. Looks like it is one or the other. If anyone has found a way around this let me know.

The VTuner is pretty awesome. Tons of channels and pretty easy to use.

I like the remote. It is nothing that special but it works well.

Scott Wood
post #156 of 1193 Old 06-29-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwood2 View Post

Does anyone know if the HDMI output ports are independent? So if I hook up one output to a 1080P TV and the other to a 720P TV, do both outputs drop down to 720?

What if the 720 TV was not on?

Thx

My guess is there wouldn't be a problem if the 720p is off and hopeful it's not a problem if it's on. I'm about to buy this receiver and a new 1080p LED TV. Sounds like your question will fit my soon to be setup. I'll test it and let you know what I find out unless someone beats me to it.
post #157 of 1193 Old 06-29-2011, 05:46 PM

Ha, well nevermind then. Your previous post wasn't there when I quoted. Glad it can do 1080/720 simultaneously. That makes me happy.
post #158 of 1193 Old 06-29-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimemastergogo View Post

So can you have the two HDMI ports outputting different content at the same time? or is it the same content that is output on both the ports?

I am in need of a receiver that can handle 2 independent streams (one processed and one in pass thru mode) at the same time.

The advanced features listed on the Yamaha website say simultaneous.
1080p-compatible HDMI: 6 inputs (1 on front) and 2 outputs (simultaneous)
http://www.yamahashoponline.com/detail/YAM+RX-V867BL
post #159 of 1193 Old 06-29-2011, 07:05 PM

Just got my 867 today, but didn't have time to make much progress on hooking it all up. I still need to pick where it will go in the cabinet, and maybe go to Radio Shack tomorrow night to get some fans to air the enclosed space out. The "open" section of the cabinet is a bit narrower, and only has one opening in the back board. The two closed sections have two openings in the back and would yield a little more room on the side. I am thinking enclosed is the way to go, but want to make sure it stays cool. I am realizing I only want to put everything in there once, so I need to get that fan and power adapter tomorrow to proceed.

In the mean time, I was wondering if anyone else had run a Wii into the 867 and how the video came out. My Wii is the only non-HDMI source I have (just using the basic composite hookup), and it looks decent on my Samsung plasma. I was just wondering if anyone saw a noticeable increase in quality with the AVR involved, or if I should just leave the Wii running to the TV and run an optical from the TV to the AVR. I was probably going to run the optical anyway just to have audio running to the AVR in the event I need to hook something up to the TV in a pinch.
post #160 of 1193 Old 06-30-2011, 08:10 AM

Bought mine yesterday! You guys got me excited. Hopefully Newegg ships it soon.

Been about 10 years with my old Kenwood VR407. It survived a lighting strike but channel B is out.
post #161 of 1193 Old 06-30-2011, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How is it that there are Network AV Receiver Control Apps for the iPhone and Android but not for Windows? If the phone apps are using Wi-fi to control the receiver over the network, why can't someone write an app to do this either in a browser or as a stand-alone app using the same programming interface?

C'mon, techies, this is addressed to you! I'd pay $20 for an app like that.
post #162 of 1193 Old 06-30-2011, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Not to alarm but my OOB experience with the 867 has been less than positive.

I just received an 867 tonight but for some reason the display on the receiver will NOT show anything. I can bring up the OSD menu on the TV and all the controls seem to work OK but I have nothing on the screen the receiver. Hopefully I hit an incorrect button. I have scoured the manual but nothing....

(Still can't get networking to work. I see the receivers MAC address on the router and I set a DHCP reservation and set it to the static still nothing. The receiver can't see out. Upnp is enabled on the router.)

I have left a message for my local service center....

username should now be "ThumperYZ69"
post #163 of 1193 Old 06-30-2011, 10:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperxr69 View Post

I just received an 867 tonight but for some reason the display on the receiver will NOT show anything. I can bring up the OSD menu on the TV and all the controls seem to work OK but I have nothing on the screen the receiver. Hopefully I hit an incorrect button. I have scoured the manual but nothing....

(Still can't get networking to work. I see the receivers MAC address on the router and I set a DHCP reservation and set it to the static still nothing. The receiver can't see out. Upnp is enabled on the router.)

I have left a message for my local service center....

Is the "pure direct" light on? Have you tried cycling that setting?
post #164 of 1193 Old 06-30-2011, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Remember I have NO lights on the receiver at all. I did try and cycle the "pure" no change. I just talked to the local service center. Looks like it is going in.

I guess I better make sure I get an extended warranty...

post #165 of 1193 Old 06-30-2011, 10:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Remember I have NO lights on the receiver at all. I did try and cycle the "pure" no change. I just talked to the local service center. Looks like it is going in.

You should be returning it for an exchange, not dealing with the service center. Didn't you buy it new?
post #166 of 1193 Old 06-30-2011, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You should be returning it for an exchange, not dealing with the service center. Didn't you buy it new?

That would make sense if I bought it B&M but I used Newegg. I would be wasting the savings I got spending $40 in shipping to send it back.

post #167 of 1193 Old 06-30-2011, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That stinks I got to finally spend a lot of time with my 867 last night and am more impressed with it- especially the sound. Maybe your receiver got damaged in shipping. I did notice the OSD overlay does not work with component, only with HDMI. Are you using HDMI?

NE Ohio HT Nutt
post #168 of 1193 Old 06-30-2011, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwood2 View Post

Hooked up mine last night and I am pretty happy. Some things I learned:

HDMI outputs - hooked up a 720P set and a 1080p set to output 1 and 2. Signal for the 1080p set was NOT downgraded to 720P when the the 720p set was on. There is a second where the screen goes out when the other set is turned on or off but the signals appear to be independent of each other.

Component outputs - I tried to send component video through the receiver at the same time as the HDMI cables are being used. I could not get this to work. Looks like it is one or the other. If anyone has found a way around this let me know. The VTuner is pretty awesome. Tons of channels and pretty easy to use.

I like the remote. It is nothing that special but it works well.

No receiver converts HDMI to component output. It's a violation of Digital Rights Management (DRM).

Afro GT
post #169 of 1193 Old 06-30-2011, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That would make sense if I bought it B&M but I used Newegg. I would be wasting the savings I got spending $40 in shipping to send it back.

It's not worth $40 to have a NEW unit? That seems kind of counter-productive to me. Instead you get to wait for some weeks and get back a (maybe) repaired unit. You still wind up with a great deal on this AVR even after adding $40.

As the saying goes: penny wise and pound foolish.
post #170 of 1193 Old 06-30-2011, 01:52 PM

I'm pretty sure that if you call and tell them that they sent you a defective unit, they will pay the shipping.

...now if it were a case of you just not liking the unit, you might have to pay return shipping and re-stocking.
post #171 of 1193 Old 06-30-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrios35 View Post

Bought mine yesterday! You guys got me excited. Hopefully Newegg ships it soon.

Newegg ships sameday if the order is received in the morning. I ordered mine late in the day and I still received it in two days! (3 days counting the day I ordered it) They have shipping locations on both the east and west coasts. Check your tracking number, you may be surprised. (The only downside is the July 4th holiday may interfere with your delivery)
post #172 of 1193 Old 06-30-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yep... when Pure Direct is enabled... there is no on screen display. Also... as I recall there is a setting via the set up menu that allows you do disable the OSD (turn it off) in the event your receiver display interferes (illuminates) your darkened home theater environment. Good luck navigating the somewhat questionable owners manual. Even when you have a printed copy it can still difficult to locate the information you need (let alone find a clear concise answer) .
post #173 of 1193 Old 06-30-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckett View Post
I'm pretty sure that if you call and tell them that they sent you a defective unit, they will pay the shipping.

...now if it were a case of you just not liking the unit, you might have to pay return shipping and re-stocking.
I've had Newegg waive their "policy" on RMAs for defective items. You just need to call. The CSR said the policy that requires the customer to pay return shipping is to discourage abuse.

Granted, the last thing I RMA'd was a RAM kit that weighed nowhere near what an AVR weighs, but I'd give it a shot.
post #174 of 1193 Old 06-30-2011, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtReynolds View Post
I've had Newegg waive their "policy" on RMAs for defective items. You just need to call. The CSR said the policy that requires the customer to pay return shipping is to discourage abuse.

Granted, the last thing I RMA'd was a RAM kit that weighed nowhere near what an AVR weighs, but I'd give it a shot.
Thanks for the advice Burt...I'll give Newegg a call tomorrow.

post #175 of 1193 Old 07-01-2011, 01:41 AM

Not sure if it because of the latest firmware, buy my 867 with firmware version 2.16 alwase shows what source its decoding, i remeber reading somebody said that theres only briefly flashed what the reciever was decoding then went away, mine stays on the lcd all time, wich is what i like

post #176 of 1193 Old 07-01-2011, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton Noway View Post

Yep... when Pure Direct is enabled... there is no on screen display.

Quote:

Yikes... sorry... I missed the reference to NO lights DOH! (meaning even in Pure Direct mode you would see the blue glowing pure direct led and or when powered off you would see the glowing red standby light. NO lights or illumination of any kind would clearly indicate a serious problem.

Quote:

If you're serious about getting an extended warranty I would strongly suggest you look into Square Trade. If your curious, you can get a SquareTrade quote on line in about 15 seconds. The good news is you don't have to talk to anyone or give out your email. Just click on "Get a Warranty"... then answer the 3 questions describing the product BUT "uncheck" the box that says "email me this quote". The quote / warranty amount, will show on the next screen.

Also... be sure to Google for Square Trade coupon codes. Square Trade frequently runs sales where you can save between 10 and 30 percent off the price of the warranty. For this weekend it seems there is a $30 off sale, just enter coupon code JULY04 NOTE: You have 30 days from the date of purchase to apply for a warranty. No hurry... ST runs "coupon code" sales on a regular basis. If you can't find one today, just wait until tomorrow.
post #177 of 1193 Old 07-01-2011, 08:50 AM

^^^^^^^ Regarding the extended warranty. I believe SQ runs in conjunction with manufacturer warranty. The most you can do is 3 years, so you are going to pay ~$60 for one extra year. Keep in mind, if you bought your AVR on AmEx, you have any extra year with them for a total of 3.

Hooked mine up last night and the basics are working. It was too late to really get into the manual, but the only hiccup so far is the internet radio. My wireless media adapter was working when I set it up with a laptop, and on the Yamaha, the network settings said it had an IP address, so it appeared networking was up and running. I also could see my fiancee's Windows 7 laptop in the networking tab. Yet when I selected V-Tuner, I got nothing. I'll dig into the manual tonight.

I ran YPAO and it set my Monitor BX6 towers as small. I am not using a sub right now, as the budget needs to recover from the AVR and front three speakers being purchased. I switched it back to large, as I figure I want the towers to get as much low frequency as possible. They go down to 34hz, so response range shouldn't be an issue.

Anyway, it looks like I have a lot of learning to do tonight with the manual. At least I haven't run into anything that is truly "broken" yet.

Is anyone finding their 867 gets real hot? I was going to put it in the cabinet once I test everything connected to it, but if it is going to get way too hot, I might just leave it out until my cooling fans arrive. I only ran it for like 40 minutes last night and it was just slightly warm to the touch, but it was enclosed either. Nor was it being pushed since it was 9:30PM and I live in a townhome.
post #178 of 1193 Old 07-01-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

No receiver converts HDMI to component output. It's a violation of Digital Rights Management (DRM).

No conversion here, I am only trying to input component and HDMI at the same time and have the receiver switch the source. No conversion, only parallel switching.

Scott Wood
post #179 of 1193 Old 07-01-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtReynolds View Post

^^^^^^^

Is anyone finding their 867 gets real hot? I was going to put it in the cabinet once I test everything connected to it, but if it is going to get way too hot, I might just leave it out until my cooling fans arrive. I only ran it for like 40 minutes last night and it was just slightly warm to the touch, but it was enclosed either. Nor was it being pushed since it was 9:30PM and I live in a townhome.

I have checked and mine is only slightly warm after being on a while but i have not using the amp section at all right now. Using the preouts to a seperate amp.

Scott Wood
post #180 of 1193 Old 07-01-2011, 09:40 AM

Ordered my V867 from newegg 7pm Wed. Received it today 9am. I wasn't expecting it until after the holiday. Clear my schedule, there's been a change of plans...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V867 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V867 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page