Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1188 Old 07-01-2011, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtReynolds View Post

Is anyone finding their 867 gets real hot? I was going to put it in the cabinet once I test everything connected to it, but if it is going to get way too hot, I might just leave it out until my cooling fans arrive. I only ran it for like 40 minutes last night and it was just slightly warm to the touch, but it was enclosed either. Nor was it being pushed since it was 9:30PM and I live in a townhome.

I felt mine after watching a movie and it was warm, but definitely not hot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1188 Old 07-01-2011, 11:19 AM

Liked: 10
Burt
You must never have owned an Onkyo. The 867 is like a cool summer breeze after several hours of use vs my recently returned Onkyo 270. Which is great for me since I have it in an AV cabinet.
post #183 of 1188 Old 07-02-2011, 05:32 AM

trying to update firmware as its currently 1.01

get error code 0020, someway throgh the update process, what does this mean.

also, I'm doing this as for some reason my sound through speakers has just dissapeared. still have sound and video through hdmi output to my tv, if I use the tv volume.
thought it may be set this way, but set to tuner and still no sound.

Can anyone help me? thanks in advance
post #184 of 1188 Old 07-02-2011, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxnz View Post

trying to update firmware as its currently 1.01

get error code 0020, someway throgh the update process, what does this mean.

also, I'm doing this as for some reason my sound through speakers has just dissapeared. still have sound and video through hdmi output to my tv, if I use the tv volume.
thought it may be set this way, but set to tuner and still no sound.

Can anyone help me? thanks in advance

Did you turn the speakers off by accident?
post #185 of 1188 Old 07-02-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliteconcept View Post

Burt
You must never have owned an Onkyo. The 867 is like a cool summer breeze after several hours of use vs my recently returned Onkyo 270. Which is great for me since I have it in an AV cabinet.

You are right, this is my first AVR, and besides the step in price, was one reason why I did not get an Onkyo 709.

I put it in the cabinet yesterday and watched some TV and used the Internet radio (which works now!) and it was a solid "warm" after a couple hours. I do have a short term solution for blowing air out of the cabinet coming today though just for added insurance.

By the way, if anyone is looking for a way to connect the 867 to their wireless network, Newegg has a good deal on the media bridge I am using.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833156307

Took a couple minutes to setup with my laptop and that was it.
post #186 of 1188 Old 07-02-2011, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
New firmware was released on July 1st- anyone know what the changes are? For some reason I can't log into Yamaha's website to download the info.

NE Ohio HT Nutt
post #187 of 1188 Old 07-02-2011, 01:59 PM

Liked: 12
Probably a dumb question, but do I use a cat5e or cat6 cable to hook up the 867 to my router?
post #188 of 1188 Old 07-02-2011, 02:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKoprowski View Post
New firmware was released on July 1st- anyone know what the changes are? For some reason I can't log into Yamaha's website to download the info.
see attachment

RXV867_Firmware_Update_V216.pdf 178.3017578125k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RXV867_Firmware_Update_V216.pdf (178.3 KB, 2 views)
post #189 of 1188 Old 07-02-2011, 02:03 PM

I just saw that Newegg has the YAMAHA RX-A1000 on sale. I have read this forum and really am appreciating the YAMAHA RX-V867.

What would the major reason to up grade to the A1000?

My interests would be if you can access the receiver via web page and iPod/iPhone integration. I also want to run a second zone (TV in a second room and too cheap to rent another cable box) of the receiver as well.

I am pulling the trigger today on either today so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
post #190 of 1188 Old 07-02-2011, 06:23 PM

Just upgraded my firmware from out of the box, to the most recent. It only took about 10 minutes. Pandora works great.
post #191 of 1188 Old 07-02-2011, 07:33 PM

I think 215 is the latest update?
post #192 of 1188 Old 07-02-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzfranczz View Post

I just saw that Newegg has the YAMAHA RX-A1000 on sale. I have read this forum and really am appreciating the YAMAHA RX-V867.

My interests would be if you can access the receiver via web page and iPod/iPhone integration. I also want to run a second zone (TV in a second room and too cheap to rent another cable box) of the receiver as well.

I am pulling the trigger today on either today so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I'm kinda in the same boat as you. One thing that I just found out is the new yamaha A1010, 2010, and 3010, are coming soon. So I wonder if the price of the A1000 will continue to decrease. Amazon has it for the same as Newegg, so I don't think its just a fluke. . . .
post #193 of 1188 Old 07-02-2011, 08:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpf717 View Post

I'm kinda in the same boat as you. One thing that I just found out is the new yamaha A1010, 2010, and 3010, are coming soon. So I wonder if the price of the A1000 will continue to decrease. Amazon has it for the same as Newegg, so I don't think its just a fluke. . . .

If past history is to be followed, it should be fall before the 1000-2000-3000 models are seen at close-out prices. It will happen though, just like the x67 models are now.
post #194 of 1188 Old 07-02-2011, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

The 867 already has an ipod app, I posted it in this thread... Search is your friend.
post #195 of 1188 Old 07-03-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzfranczz View Post

The simple answer is there are no major reasons to upgrade to the A1000. I was in the same boat as you... struggling with getting the A1000 over the V867. After "much" research, investigation, going to multiple high end AV stores etc., I discovered the following:

The speaker/input connections on the A1000 are really nice high end quality connectors. The 1000 also has the "5th" support foot on the center underside of the chassis.... and that's about it!

Considering the V867 can be found for far less than the A1000 (currently in the neighborhood of $430) there was no way for me to justify the extra expense just to pickup the foot and nice connectors. Another consideration... neither the A1000 nor the V867 do a stellar job with video. Both have been faulted for their inadequate if not poor video processing. Most of todays BD players and TV's do a much better job processing the video. The A2000 (and A3000) have upgraded video processing and do and excellent job.

In the end... my real choice came down to the V867 or the A2000. My dilemma was do I steal one of the discontinued V867's that originally had a MSRP of $900 or wait until the A2000 is discontinued next year and try to steal one of them. I went the V867 because I could upgrade my HT setup today and because i have a new BD player that does a awesome job of video processing.

FYI: If you are seriously interested in the V867 >here<</a> are many pages of search results on the V867. These threads (search results) are actually found in the Official Yamaha RX-V667/RX-V767Thread Why? Well... before this V867 thread was started, several months of V867 discussion was logged in the V667 thread.
post #196 of 1188 Old 07-03-2011, 11:09 AM

Silly question, but did any of the new owners find their serial number on the box was different than the serial on the receiver? I forgot to check mine before I put it in the cabinet, and I'd like to just pull it off the box for registration.
post #197 of 1188 Old 07-03-2011, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

see attachment

Thanks- was hoping they added the option to turn the volume display off in this firmware update but it doesn't look like it

NE Ohio HT Nutt
post #198 of 1188 Old 07-04-2011, 07:58 AM

Iv ran into 2 small problems i havent been been able to resolve with my 867 regarding music playback that maybe somebody can shed some light, both issues are when trying to stream music over network from a pc. the first is i cant get the reciever to see .flac files, it sees mp3 , wav just fine though. the second is it will only see files if i have music in the default windows music folder on the C drive, i dont store music on my C drive as its a small SDD for speed, my ps3 see my music on my other drives but of course it cant play flac wich i really want to be able to do, im pretty disapointed as the reciever says in its specs it supports flac one of the reason i bought it.

post #199 of 1188 Old 07-04-2011, 08:55 AM

Anyone know if there is a way to keep audio going when you turn your TV off?

I was playing music over Apple TV, and figured I could turn off the TV. It just plays a screen saver anyway. I turn the TV off, and the music cuts off.

I have the Apple TV going via HDMI to the AVR. Shouldn't it just keep playing music? Or is there a way to set HDMI 3 to not care if the HDMI-out source is on?

Edit: I didn't turn the TV on beforehand, and I am streaming from my laptop to the Apple TV just fine right now. I guess I am confused as to why turning the TV off would matter.
post #200 of 1188 Old 07-04-2011, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dregan View Post

Iv ran into 2 small problems i havent been been able to resolve with my 867 regarding music playback that maybe somebody can shed some light, both issues are when trying to stream music over network from a pc. the first is i cant get the reciever to see .flac files, it sees mp3 , wav just fine though. the second is it will only see files if i have music in the default windows music folder on the C drive, i dont store music on my C drive as its a small SDD for speed, my ps3 see my music on my other drives but of course it cant play flac wich i really want to be able to do, im pretty disapointed as the reciever says in its specs it supports flac one of the reason i bought it.

If you are using w7 and I assume you are if you are using an ssd, just add your other music location to the music library. If you aren't using w7, then you should!

As far as flac, I haven't tried it. Have you done the firmware update yet?
post #201 of 1188 Old 07-05-2011, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

If you are using w7 and I assume you are if you are using an ssd, just add your other music location to the music library. If you aren't using w7, then you should!

As far as flac, I haven't tried it. Have you done the firmware update yet?

Yea im on windows 7 64bit, and iv already added my other media locations and every other device works except the 867. Here let me show you

See my music is on [ D:\\Music ] but the 867 will only detect music that is in [ C:\\Users\\Turdpeterson\\music ]
My ps3 and 360 play music over the network just fine from my folders so i know its configured right, its only 867 that cant seem to see music in other locations. I may have figured out the flac problem though i think it only supports flac recorded in 96/24 normal cds are 44\\16 wich it dosnt seem to support. And yes the firmware was the first thing i did its on version 2.16

post #202 of 1188 Old 07-05-2011, 02:18 AM

No, but I have managed to sucessfully update the firmware to 2.16.

my sound works through the speakers for a while then just just stops.

I turn the amp off, then on and it comes back...

then turns off again, in the info area under audio, there is no output.

anyone had this problem???
post #203 of 1188 Old 07-05-2011, 05:18 AM

that sounds like a faulty unit or possibly a bad HDMI cable from whatever your source is, not sure you didnt specify where your sound is coming from, if it does it when using pandora or your radio then sounds like a bad unit, if its doing it while watchign a movie i would try a differant cable

post #204 of 1188 Old 07-05-2011, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Dregan, I have my music on a whs and it finds it just fine. I wonder why it won't see yours. I wonder if you have to do something with a setting in windows media player? I've done a lot of small tweaks over the last year for dlna, so I don't know.
post #205 of 1188 Old 07-05-2011, 07:35 AM

Hello,

I recently installed the RX-V867 (purchased it on 7-3-11). Twice, in the last 2 days, has my audio not been output from the receiver. My 5 satellite speakers will not output audio (even when attempting the receivers "Test Tone"). The subwoofer, however, emits a low muted bass sound (that reacts to increases in volume). This audio failure is not permanent. The first time it happened the sound returned after 15 min or so (without any interaction from me). The second time it happened I turned it off and didn't test again until the next morning, at which point everything worked as it should.

Now originally I suspected this to be an issue with my Comcast cable box. However the second failure involved both of my sources (Comcast AND my Blu-Ray player). Both of these sources were not producing audio from the satellite speakers (only the muffled sound from the subwoofers).

To explain my setup in greater detail... I am running a Samsung Blu-Ray player and Comcast digital cable THROUGH my receiver (video pass through). Both are connected via HDMI to the receiver, and output via HDMI to my Samsung LCD TV. I have the Klipsch HDT500 series surround speakers (5 satellites + 1 sub) and also an ADDITIONAL Klipsch RW-10d subwoofer connected.

I successfully configured my system using YPAO. No errors were reported. The setup sounded fantastic.

Again, the issue is a complete loss of sound (from either one of my two sources). The only "noise" being reproduced is a low rumbling from the subwoofers. Is there a configuration setting that I may be missing? Would this be a faulty receiver? When it works, it sounds amazing, and when it fails, why?

Also note that this occurs at ANY VOLUME LEVEL. It seems as though there is a problem with the internals of the receiver.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

Thank You,
MD
post #206 of 1188 Old 07-05-2011, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
Dregan, I have my music on a whs and it finds it just fine. I wonder why it won't see yours. I wonder if you have to do something with a setting in windows media player? I've done a lot of small tweaks over the last year for dlna, so I don't know.
Now that I think about it, the whs has a built in dlna server. So you probably need to configure windows media player or some other dlna server so that the music is seen properly.
post #207 of 1188 Old 07-05-2011, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dregan View Post
You dont understand the reciever is the only device on the network that isnt working when it comes to seeing my music, so my stuff is configured correctly. The reciever is stuck to only seeing music in the default windows music location wich is [ C:\\Users\\YourNameHere\\music any other place the reviever ignores it, in other words my music has to be placed in that path and no where else. Has to be a bug with the firmware
That's not how DNLA works. The server software determines what is "seen" by any streaming device. So the Yamaha can only see what the server lets it see. Each connected device can be handled differently by the software. In general, these type issues are avoided by using anything other than Windows or WMP as a server program.
post #208 of 1188 Old 07-05-2011, 08:34 AM

I dont know what happen but i fixed it, i copyed 1 song manualy and pasted it in C:\\Users\\YourNameHere\\music when i did that all my music showed up, i then went and deleted that 1 song and rebooted the reciever and all music is still listed, had to be some wierd bug not sure why that did it but it works now, very very odd. To be more precise i opened that path manualy rather then using the music folder short cut in the top right corner in explorer under libraries, went to the path directly

post #209 of 1188 Old 07-05-2011, 09:04 AM

Hrm i dunno i downloaded a 24bit 96 and 16/44 flac samples and nether would not play, if riped my own in .flac and they would not play, i dont understand it the user manual even says it supports .flac files anyone else got flac files to work on this reciever ?

post #210 of 1188 Old 07-05-2011, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post
Probably a dumb question, but do I use a cat5e or cat6 cable to hook up the 867 to my router?
Either, whichever one you have available...

Afro GT
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V867 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V867 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page