Surround receiver speaker terminal repair (Yamaha RX-V595a) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-09-2011, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I've owned a Yamaha RX-V595a receiver since the late '90s. It's now a secondary receiver in the bedroom (an RX-A1000 handles the living room duties) but for my purposes, it's still a great receiver. It sounds nice and clean, and it has enough inputs for the devices I run. It doesn't do HD video switching but I'm only running a CRT in there (a very good Sony Trinitron Wega flatscreen) so that's not a fatal problem.

In the past few days the right rear positive speaker terminal has failed. (I've isolated it by swapping out cabling and verifying that the speaker still functions, and that a known working speaker doesn't work in the jack. Touching the positive wire to the positive connection of another speaker terminal fires up the speaker so I know the negative terminal is okay.) It doesn't seem to be a surround decoding issue because the speaker test mode has the same problem.

It has done this once or twice before in the past few months but slightly moving the receiver seemed to solve the problem so I attributed it to slightly loose speaker wire connections. However, a more detailed investigation today showed that the connections were secure. I'm not hearing any noise and the receiver is functioning flawlessly in every other way. I'm thinking it almost certainly is a physical problem with the connection.

We have a Yamaha authorized repair centre here (the receiver is long out of warranty of course but at least they ought to know how to fix it) but I'm wondering if it might not be manageable to repair it myself. Any experiences?

I could get a new refurb Yamaha receiver that does HDMI switching for around $350 with shipping, but if I could get this one working for $100-ish or less, I'll keep it going. Frankly even if I got a new receiver for the bedroom, I'd probably still keep this one in service downstairs. It just sounds too good to pitch.

Any ideas or suggestions? I've never cracked a receiver open before so have no idea what I'm getting into.

Thanks,

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-07-2012, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having the exact same problem only with my Aiwa Jax-T7 speakers, the positive stopped working. If anyone knows how to fix it, I'd love to hear the answer. I know this thread is old, but bumping it might help.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page