Onkyo TX NR709 Owners' Thread - Page 10 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 8  9  10 11  12  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Onkyo TX NR709 Owners' Thread
hlkc's Avatar hlkc 01:40 PM 10-30-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

If both monitors are HDCP certified, same resolution, and same HDMI level (1.3 or 1.4) then yes ... that is the purpose of 2 monitor out jacks.

Thank you.

DMJ's Avatar DMJ 01:20 PM 11-01-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMJ View Post

I used a wireless adapter (N speed Cisco FWIW) and couldn't get it to show up in USB mode. Then I tried using my netbook as a bridge/gateway, but the 709 only recognized that it was plugged in to the ethernet cable.

any help? is there a setup guide out there?

thanks

Come on, I can't be the first person to want to do this.

Thanks
eddieb187's Avatar eddieb187 02:49 PM 11-01-2011
Has anyone else noticed these issues?

I get no audio, just white noise (static) sometimes when switching between HDMI inputs or when using a DVR after I fast FWD or RWD live TV or swap tuners. Most times it's just for several seconds and then the audio outputs fine. Sometimes the receiver gets stuck on this static noise and I have to turn it off and back on to get audio back or switch inputs till I get audio. Not all the time, it's intermittent. I ran Audyssey speaker full calibration setup for a second time last night. Tried a new HDMI cable, different HDMI port, and still get intermittent no audio just noise for a few seconds. I have had two Onkyo receivers prior to the 709 and never had this issue. Tested it again this morning and was fine until it warmed up. Then the issue returned. As long as I don't fast fwd or rewind the audio is rock solid. I have a TiVo Premiere connected via HDMI. Same thing happens when playing a Blu-Ray but not as often as Cable TV with the TiVo.

Another thing I noticed was the DTS Bomb when playing the newly released Star Wars Blu-Ray Episode Four with my Oppo BDP-83. If I skip to chapter 16 (The Death Star) I hear a loud noise similar to a Gun Shot immediately as the audio starts and then it plays fine. Funny thing is if I just play through that exact same spot without the chapter skip the issue does not occur. This can be reproduced every time I skip to or start from chapter 16.
I thought Onkyo fixed that issue long ago.
I remember having the same problem with my older Onkyo 705 more than 6 years ago.
crbaldwin's Avatar crbaldwin 03:24 PM 11-01-2011
1) Does anyone know if they have ever considered or are considering use of Replay Gain data to enable volume leveling between tracks?

2) When I have it set to shuffled playback it always begins playback with the same track even when pressing play on a playlist (playlist level rather than file list).

3) Why don't they provide video menu output of any network audio via the secondary HDMI output?

I know I will have to send these question to Onkyo but I was wondering if anyone has already addressed these issues and gotten a response?
wierzt's Avatar wierzt 09:01 PM 11-03-2011
I am interested in this receiver but I read a review saying it does not pass through caption information to the tv. Has anyone else with this unit experienced a similar problem? If so what sources, blu-ray, cable, etc?

thanks
dowop's Avatar dowop 01:51 AM 11-04-2011
I just tried CC on mine & it works. I tried it with TWC Cable.
airgas1998's Avatar airgas1998 04:01 AM 11-04-2011
need some help guys...if i hook up my brp to the tv instead i only get pcm 2.0 coming from the arc. is there anyway to get lossless sent? i do this because for some reason i can't display colormode ybc422 only rgb in ybc it casts a orangeish hue when i send my player through the 709. any reason why that is?
Crwaters's Avatar Crwaters 05:17 AM 11-04-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

need some help guys...if i hook up my brp to the tv instead i only get pcm 2.0 coming from the arc. is there anyway to get lossless sent? i do this because for some reason i can't display colormode ybc422 only rgb in ybc it casts a orangeish hue when i send my player through the 709. any reason why that is?

If you could be more clear with how you're hooked-up, you might get a better answer to your question. I've read your post three times and can only guess what it is you're asking.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 05:22 AM 11-04-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

Can't speak to the PQ issue, but the best audio some TVs can pass with connected sources is DD 5.1, while the vast majority (as in your case) can only pass PCM 2.0 (regardless of whether you're using ARC or the optical audio out). If you cannot resolve the PQ issue, you may want to consider a dual HDMI BDP ... video to the TV with HD lossless audio to the 709.
airgas1998's Avatar airgas1998 06:57 AM 11-04-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Can't speak to the PQ issue, but the best audio some TVs can pass with connected sources is DD 5.1, while the vast majority (as in your case) can only pass PCM 2.0 (regardless of whether you're using ARC or the optical audio out). If you cannot resolve the PQ issue, you may want to consider a dual HDMI BDP ... video to the TV with HD lossless audio to the 709.

thank you...
DMJ's Avatar DMJ 08:11 PM 11-04-2011
I used a wireless adapter (N speed Cisco FWIW) and couldn't get it to show up in USB mode.

thanks
qweasd123's Avatar qweasd123 11:29 PM 11-04-2011
Long time lurker; however, I recently picked up one of these and had a quick question about the internal Nidec fan. Is it temperature controlled, or should it be spinning as soon as the unit is powered on?
howardru's Avatar howardru 07:42 PM 11-05-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by B|G1 View Post

Hello.

I play media on my TV with USB and Philips mediaconnect.

What settings to turn on so that my Onkyo TX-NR709 receiver can receive audio from the TV? TV is connected to main out ARC. And my TV (Philips 55PFL7606 have ARC (audio return channel)).

Enable HDMI control and it's all magic..... The 709 will automatically switch to TV/CD when it receives the HDMI-CEC signal (I don't like this, but there is no way to disable this);
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 07:57 PM 11-05-2011
^^
You have a few options ...

(a) Disable HDMI-CEC on the TV when not using ARC
(b) Connect optical cable from TV to AVR instead of using ARC
(c) Use Harmony remote or Onkyo remote macro commands to select correct source device after AVR switches to TV source
Avenger's Avatar Avenger 07:10 AM 11-06-2011
I am interested in this receiver since it seems to have a lot of bang for the buck. Has anyone tested hooking the 709 to a Mac via an hdmi input? I use the Mac to watch movies on my TV so it would be nice if it would work. I had an older Denon and the Mac could not connect via HDMI properly to the receiver.
JChin's Avatar JChin 10:28 AM 11-06-2011
Quote:

Hello.

I play media on my TV with USB and Philips mediaconnect.

What settings to turn on so that my Onkyo TX-NR709 receiver can receive audio from the TV? TV is connected to main out ARC. And my TV (Philips 55PFL7606 have ARC (audio return channel)).

Hi B|G1, did your tv detected the HDMI input connection?

For ARC to work enable the receiver HDMI Control and ARC (see page 17) . On the Tv enable HDMI-CEC feature call EasyLink and set the speaker output. But make sure that EasyLink has detected the HDMI (receiver) connection.

Quote:

The HDTV PVR decoder is connected to HDMI 7 (TV/CD)
The TV is connected to main output.

Why should I change to TV/CD when I want sound coming from the TV (main output) and not the decoder??

Reasons in OM:
Do not assign an HDMI IN to the TV/CD selector while "HDMI Control (RIHD)" is set to "ON" (-> page 58), otherwise appropriate CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) operation will not be guaranteed.

To use this function, you must select the TV/CD input selector and your TV must be ARC Capable.

If you set "Audio Return Channel" to "Auto", the "Audio Selector" settings of the TV/CD input selector will be automatically switched to "ARC" (-> page 55).

Suggest to reassign HDMI-7 to "CBL/SAT" or connect HDTV PVR decoder to HDMI-3 (CBL/SAT).
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 11:08 AM 11-06-2011
^^
The HDMI 1.3 cable is fine as there is no difference as long as it passes 1080p it's "High Speed". Did you reassign the PVR to another source name leaving the TV/CD source unassigned?
JChin's Avatar JChin 11:34 AM 11-06-2011
Quote:

It seems like the Philips and Onkyo can't talk together...

After the settings (EasyLink & HDMI Control) try turning tv off and back on (with the receiver still on).

Also some tv has a scan feature for HDMI-CEC, see if your tv has this.
JChin's Avatar JChin 12:15 PM 11-06-2011
Quote:

They don't find each other

After enabling EasyLink, did it give an option for EasyLink Speaker Output settings (EasyLink or EasyLink Auto)?
JChin's Avatar JChin 12:38 PM 11-06-2011
Hmm, what about turning off and on the tv (with receiver on) and did your tv have a scan feature for HDMI-CEC?

Another suggestion to try would be to disconnect/reconnect tv power cord and see if HDMI input device is detected.
B|G1's Avatar B|G1 01:01 PM 11-06-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hmm, what about turning off and on the tv (with receiver on) and did your tv have a scan feature for HDMI-CEC?

Another suggestion to try would be to disconnect/reconnect tv power cord and see if HDMI input device is detected.

I have tried with the receiver on and turned tv off and on.
I don't think the tv have a scan feature. I don't see it in the menu, but I have asked Philips.

I tried to disconnect the power cord.
Avenger's Avatar Avenger 03:49 PM 11-06-2011
I've been trying to decide between an Onkyo 709 and a Denon 2312. I narrowed it down to those two based on the fact that I wanted 7+ HDMI inputs, 4+ digital audio inputs, and at least 1 S-Video input. I'm really only interested in 5.1 audio although these are 7.1/7.2. In any event the Onkyo is less expensive one and even has 8 HDMI inputs plus a PC Input as well. I can pick one up but I am a little leery about some posts I have been following on this forum about the unit catching fire (actually this is about an 809) or about overheating or the HDMI going dead. Are there people out there using a 709 without any issues?

I also have one other problem. My cabinet is open at the front but closed at the sides and the back. I have a Denon AVR-590 sitting there that hasn't had any heating issues so far. Should I automatically disqualify the Onkyo since its too much of a risk to use it in a cabinet space like I have? If so, my only option is the Denon which runs about $850 retail (and I can't find any decent discounts) unless anyone else has any suggestions for me. Thanks!
dowop's Avatar dowop 01:25 AM 11-07-2011
I have the 709 that I am using to replace a Denon 891. It runs just as cool or cooler than the Denon.
DMJ's Avatar DMJ 06:05 AM 11-07-2011
I used a wireless adapter (N speed Cisco FWIW) and couldn't get it to show up in USB mode.

thanks
JChin's Avatar JChin 06:43 AM 11-07-2011
Quote:

I have tried with the receiver on and turned tv off and on.
I don't think the tv have a scan feature. I don't see it in the menu, but I have asked Philips.

I tried to disconnect the power cord.

If ARC is still not working, suggest running an optical cable from tv "Digital Audio Out" to receiver "TV/CD".
B|G1's Avatar B|G1 11:32 AM 11-07-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

If ARC is still not working, suggest running an optical cable from tv "Digital Audio Out" to receiver "TV/CD".

Optical cable works.

But I have paid for a receiver and a TV that should support ARC. It's a waste of money if it don't work.
Avenger's Avatar Avenger 01:42 PM 11-07-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowop View Post

I have the 709 that I am using to replace a Denon 891. It runs just as cool or cooler than the Denon.

I happened to be by a Best Buy today and checked out the Onkyo 709 there. The set was turned on (the salesman said it was on since the morning) and it wasn't too hot They keep them in the Magnolia section in a wooden cabinet which is really closed in. I didn't pick it up since there was no sale on the $799 retail price. I guess I'll wait and see.
B|G1's Avatar B|G1 02:11 PM 11-07-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger View Post

I happened to be by a Best Buy today and checked out the Onkyo 709 there. The set was turned on (the salesman said it was on since the morning) and it wasn't too hot They keep them in the Magnolia section in a wooden cabinet which is really closed in. I didn't pick it up since there was no sale on the $799 retail price. I guess I'll wait and see.

Mine is not so hot either. There is a fan inside. I keep my on top of the tv-bench.
When it is turned off it is still a little bit hot, I guess some components is still turned on. I can turn it on through the local network with the android app.
dowop's Avatar dowop 02:41 AM 11-08-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger View Post

Once in a while they will price match. Some Magnolia even advertise that way.
eddieb187's Avatar eddieb187 04:14 PM 11-10-2011
Quote:

Mine is not so hot either. There is a fan inside. I keep my on top of the tv-bench.
When it is turned off it is still a little bit hot, I guess some components is still turned on. I can turn it on through the local network with the android app.

If you have "HDMI Through" enabled the unit will be almost as warm off as it is when it's on. When "HDMI Through" is disabled it's cold. The 709 never really gets all that hot even when it's running. I had an Onkyo 705 before the 709 and the 709 runs much cooler.
Tags: Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Nr709
First ... 8  9  10 11  12  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop