Originally Posted by atlind01
I just got my NR709 and I am in the process of fine tuning the setup.
I am hooking up by Dish 722 DVR thru the receiver to my Panny Plasma.
Since my wife doesn't want to mess with the new receiver, I have setup the dish as my HDMI pass thru.
But the problem is now I am getting only 2.0 PCM output thru HDMI. In researching other places, I found out that with Dish 722 only the Toslink gives you a 5.1 audio output.
My question is what is the easiest way to retain the HDMI pass thru but still get 5.1 audio out whenever required?
Okay, got this one resolved and working perfectly. For those who are interested, here are the details:
PHYSICAL CONNECTION: It is true that with Dish 722 DVR you need a toslink to get 5.1 output, so you need to hookup a HDMI cable as well as a toslink cable to 709.
1. Make sure that you first select the source as "CBL/SAT".
2. Select "Setup" thru Remote
3. Choose "7. Hardware Setup", from the submenu select "3.HDMI"
4. In the second line "HDMI Through", choose "CBL/SAT".
5. In the next line "Audio TV Out" would have been set to "Off" , just LEAVE it as it is, DO NOT change it to "ON".
Come out of the "Hardware Setup"
6. Choose "1. Input/Output Assign" from Main Setup Menu
7. Select "4. Digital Audio Input" submenu
8. Assign the correct optical input "OPTICAL 1/2" against CBL/SAT input.
come out of the "Input/Output Assign"
Make sure that you are still under "CBL/SAT" source, because these options are saved individually for each source.
9. Choose "4. Source Setup" from Main Setup Menu
10. Select "6.Audio Selector" submenu
11. You should now choose "Optical"
This should take care of this, what's more interesting is that when the Receiver is switched the TV volume is automatically muted and the receiver is pumping the audio and when you go to standby, TV speakers will pickup the audio.