Onkyo TX NR709 Owners' Thread - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 2418 Old 12-06-2011, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am not getting any audio out of analog input. I have taken a 5.1 from PC that has a xonar DS audio card.

The speaker control in my windows tray does show activity but I am not getting any output on my onkyo.

any clues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 2418 Old 12-06-2011, 06:13 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 1404
^^
Are you using Win 7? A quick google search shows a Xonar card only ships with XP/Vista drivers and Win 7 drivers must be downloaded from the internet. If the Onkyo isn't showing it's receiving a signal then the issue lies with the HTPC.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #393 of 2418 Old 12-06-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Are you using Win 7? A quick google search shows a Xonar card only ships with XP/Vista drivers and Win 7 drivers must be downloaded from the internet. If the Onkyo isn't showing it's receiving a signal then the issue lies with the HTPC.

Yes, I am using Win 7 and I did update my driver. Let me first try connecting my oppo thru analog that should rule out that its not a onkyo issue.
post #394 of 2418 Old 12-06-2011, 08:00 PM

Liked: 10
Well, I finally took the plunge into a 21st century HT/sound system. Picked up the Onkyo for $510, online, on Black Friday special, after researching multi channel receivers for several months. I thought the holiday season is a good time to swap out the equipment, and maybe have some vacation days to give the new system a workout. The 709 replaces an older Onkyo 8511, its a 2-channel receiver that will be moved into my home office. Got the 709 hooked up tonite, but lots of fine tuning to do, including getting the wireless adapter working. Set the cable signal to pass thru to TV when receiver is off. Bought all cables at monoprice.com, very pleased with the quality of the cables, tho, all made in China (ha, like everything else . . .) Was ambivalent with the music sound on initial listening, but haven't run Audessy yet. The Polk sub replaces a 15-inch passive sub that still performs impressively and is headed for Craigslist! I appreciate this forum, I read/learned a lot here before making the receiver purchase, and may post some questions as I go about fine tuning this new system. I'm looking forward to streaming content from my laptop to the system, and running internet radio . . .
post #395 of 2418 Old 12-07-2011, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Run Audyssey. It will make a big difference.
post #396 of 2418 Old 12-07-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlind01 View Post

Yes, I am using Win 7 and I did update my driver. Let me first try connecting my oppo thru analog that should rule out that its not a onkyo issue.

Quote:

^^

Got it working, the mistake was that I selected "Analog" instead of "Multich" as the audio option.
post #397 of 2418 Old 12-07-2011, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Didn't think I'd be buying a reciever at this time but I had recently picked up a SACD player with analog outs. My Onkyo TX SR608 doesn't have 5.1 analog inputs so here I am. My 709 is on the way. I was surprised to see how much I'll be getting in terms of improvements when you compart the 709 and the 608 and let's just say that my price range for receivers has moved up. I got mine from Amazon fulfilled by OneCall for 546.00 and got the $30.00 wireless lan adapter for free also.
post #398 of 2418 Old 12-07-2011, 08:07 AM
585-645-1006

^^
If the SACD player has an HDMI out as well, you would be better served using it instead in order to use Audyssey in the AVR.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #399 of 2418 Old 12-07-2011, 08:14 AM

Need some help. My father installed his new 709 this week and has had nothing but problems with his Motorola DCX-3200 cable box. Sometimes when turning everything on, the HDMI settings on the cable box drop down to 480p. Then he needs to press Power then Menu on the cable remote to access the TV resolution settings to get it back to 1080i. Other times, he gets a black screen, yet he can see the OSD menus from the cable box. He does not seem to have this problem with the 1st gen AppleTV, Sony BDP, or Dish Network sat receiver, all via HDMI.

Reading through some of the threads, I've given him a few suggestions...
- change color space on Moto DCX-3200 from YCC 4:4:4 to RGB
- Turn off HDMI-CEC on Samsung 61" DLP TV
- Turn off HDMI control (RIHD) on the 709
- upgrade the firmware on the 709

Any other suggestions from anyone? I'm troubleshooting this from 200 miles away, so any help would be appreciated.
post #400 of 2418 Old 12-07-2011, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

^^
If the SACD player has an HDMI out as well, you would be better served using it instead in order to use Audyssey in the AVR.

Unfortunately, no HDMI out on the unit.
post #401 of 2418 Old 12-07-2011, 08:22 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Motorola boxes are the most often HDMI handshake offenders. Connect HDMI from the box to the TV and optical from the box to the AVR.

post #402 of 2418 Old 12-07-2011, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolSound View Post

Well, I finally took the plunge into a 21st century HT/sound system. Picked up the Onkyo for $510, online, on Black Friday special, after researching multi channel receivers for several months. I thought the holiday season is a good time to swap out the equipment, and maybe have some vacation days to give the new system a workout. The 709 replaces an older Onkyo 8511, its a 2-channel receiver that will be moved into my home office. Got the 709 hooked up tonite, but lots of fine tuning to do, including getting the wireless adapter working. Set the cable signal to pass thru to TV when receiver is off. Bought all cables at monoprice.com, very pleased with the quality of the cables, tho, all made in China (ha, like everything else . . .) Was ambivalent with the music sound on initial listening, but haven't run Audessy yet. The Polk sub replaces a 15-inch passive sub that still performs impressively and is headed for Craigslist! I appreciate this forum, I read/learned a lot here before making the receiver purchase, and may post some questions as I go about fine tuning this new system. I'm looking forward to streaming content from my laptop to the system, and running internet radio . . .

Welcome to the club...

What do you mean by "Set the cable signal to pass thru to TV when receiver is off"?

My cable comes into the home via RF and I have no RF ports on the 709 to "pass through". Currently I split the cable signal - One to my Tivo (for it's two tuners) and one directly to the TV for a 3rd tuner as backup when both Tivo tuner's are busy. Output of my Tivo goes to the receiver for processing, upscaling etc via HDMI.

Maybe I am missing something. Just wondering...
post #403 of 2418 Old 12-07-2011, 08:56 AM
585-645-1006

^^
He's referring to the HDMI Standby passthrough feature using HDMI Control (RIHD, p. 58) which will pass the audio/video from the TiVo through the AVR to the TV when the AVR is in Standby (ie. don't want to use the surround speakers .. eg. sports, news, etc).

post #404 of 2418 Old 12-07-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardru View Post

I'm pretty sure that with Zone 2 off (which only stays that way until you turn it on), all 7.1 speakers are used. I ran my old 707 that way and I have been running my new 709 this way. My Zone 2 goes to outside rock speakers that I use on my patio during the summer. I've had this setup working fine for the past few summers.

I run my as 7.1 (even though I have 9.1 speakers for Dolby IIZ height setups) 98% of the time and never touch the zone 2 speakers.

Perhaps you're running Zone 2 with a separate amp (which yes, would work fine)? I had a 705 previously, and could use powered Zone 2 whenever I wanted and 7.1 would drop down to 5.1 and return when I turned off Zone 2.

Under speaker setup, now if I want a powered Zone 2, I permanently lose my front highs. The only solution I can figure out with the 709 is to run through and change the speaker setup each and every time I want to use Zone 2, unless I buy a separate amp (which seems pointless since the 709 could do it if Onkyo programmed it properly IMO.
post #405 of 2418 Old 12-07-2011, 04:25 PM

The HDMI from my cable box goes into the 709. A separate HDMI goes out from receiver to TV. A menu setting in the 709 allows you to choose to have the signal to go from the cable box thru the 709 to the TV, when the receiver is turned off -- when you want TV with just sound via the TV, for example when others are sleeping and you can't listen to full on surround. Otherwise, you'd have to turn the receiver on to watch/listen to TV. (I just noticed that JDSMOOTHIE answered with a clearer answer than I gave; What he said! Thank you, JDSmoothie!)
post #406 of 2418 Old 12-07-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:

^^
He's referring to the HDMI Standby passthrough feature using HDMI Control (RIHD, p. 58) which will pass the audio/video from the TiVo through the AVR to the TV when the AVR is in Standby (ie. don't want to use the surround speakers .. eg. sports, news, etc).

Ah...Thanks Jdsmoothie....I wasn't aware you could do this. But then again, I only listen to my TV WITH my AVR and surround system turned on (via HDMI control when I power-up the TV). Who wants to listen to TV speakers anyway?
post #407 of 2418 Old 12-07-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locksmith9 View Post

Perhaps you're running Zone 2 with a separate amp (which yes, would work fine)? I had a 705 previously, and could use powered Zone 2 whenever I wanted and 7.1 would drop down to 5.1 and return when I turned off Zone 2.

Under speaker setup, now if I want a powered Zone 2, I permanently lose my front highs. The only solution I can figure out with the 709 is to run through and change the speaker setup each and every time I want to use Zone 2, unless I buy a separate amp (which seems pointless since the 709 could do it if Onkyo programmed it properly IMO.

Yes, my Zone 2 goes to a separate (and very old) receiver/amp to power the outside speakers.
post #408 of 2418 Old 12-07-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolSound View Post

The HDMI from my cable box goes into the 709. A separate HDMI goes out from receiver to TV. A menu setting in the 709 allows you to choose to have the signal to go from the cable box thru the 709 to the TV, when the receiver is turned off -- when you want TV with just sound via the TV, for example when others are sleeping and you can't listen to full on surround. Otherwise, you'd have to turn the receiver on to watch/listen to TV. (I just noticed that JDSMOOTHIE answered with a clearer answer than I gave; What he said! Thank you, JDSmoothie!)

Got it! Learning more and more each day...Thanks for the "schooling"
post #409 of 2418 Old 12-07-2011, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I just ordered a TX NR709 to replace a failing 12 yo TX-DS575X. Other than following the set-up instructions in the manual, is there anything that I should be aware of in the set-up? I will have to rearrange/change the cabling as the old AVR has no HDMI.

I have a Blu-ray player and HD recorder to hook-up to a Panasonic plasma. I don't expect there to be any problems there.
post #410 of 2418 Old 12-07-2011, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
has anyone been able to use Spotify successfully with their 709? I logged in, i see my playlists, but they all show up as empty.

BTW - just hooked up my new 709 tonight. I can already tell it handles the upscaling of the 1080i/720p material from my cable MUCH better than the Denon 2112 that this is replacing. It also doesn't have any of the 3d handshake issues i had with the Denon. I also hooked up the Onkyo wireless adapter. I'm going to run Audyssey tomorrow but so far I love the ease of use of the 709 (and i'm using all 7 hdmi ports!).
post #411 of 2418 Old 12-08-2011, 04:01 AM
585-645-1006

^^
I would certainly hope so as the Denon 2112CI doesn't even have a video card installed and therefore can't do any upscaling at all.

post #412 of 2418 Old 12-08-2011, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^^
I would certainly hope so as the Denon 2112CI doesn't even have a video card installed and therefore can't do any upscaling at all.

i know, that's one of the reasons i switched to the Onkyo. While i love my new 3d projector, it doesn't do a great job scaling material below 1080p so having a receiver handle this for me is a huge plus. I went through two Denon 2112's and both had the same nagging handshake issues with some of my components and i tested the same issues with the 709 and everything is perfect.

It was so much easier to set up the 709 than i was expecting. i set my monitor output to 1080p and left my sources with 24fps material set to "through" on those inputs.
post #413 of 2418 Old 12-08-2011, 06:42 AM

Liked: 20
Got the unit last, so far it's very nice. Update right away, and it went without a hitch. It was a very pleasant surprise. After a few hours of lighter use, it was only warm to touch, so it seems the heat issue is better with this unit. Haven't done the audyssey set-up yet, but even without it, it sounded very nice. I did use the THX options and that was pretty nice and the way it "fills" the room with sound. So far very happy with the purchase, $600 out the door, hhgregg price matched Amazon.
post #414 of 2418 Old 12-08-2011, 07:08 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Correct. The XX9 models don't have the same heat issues as do the earlier year models. Review the Audyssey setup instructions in the Owner manual as well as in the setup guide linked in my sig to ensure you get the best results from the Audyssey setup.

post #415 of 2418 Old 12-08-2011, 07:17 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:

^^
Correct. The XX9 models don't have the same heat issues as do the earlier year models. Review the Audyssey setup instructions in the Owner manual as well as in the setup guide linked in my sig to ensure you get the best results from the Audyssey setup.

Oh I've read the darn manual online about 6 times before deciding which receiver to buy.
I didn't think THX did much to the volume at lower levels. Used to own an Denon that had Audyssey, and that was much better for low volumes at night. I know there is a difference, just stating what I noticed. Can't wait to see the AudysseyXT does for my system.
post #416 of 2418 Old 12-08-2011, 07:33 AM
585-645-1006

^^
The 709 features both Dolby Volume and Audyssey Dyn EQ/Volume. Both provide similar results but some prefer one over the other. Dyn EQ boosts the bass/surround audio at below reference level listening and Dyn Volume tames wild audio bursts (commercials, late night viewing). It also features a LATE NIGHT setting for DD sources only, however, you'll likely prefer either Dolby Volume or Audyssey Dyn Volume.

post #417 of 2418 Old 12-08-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awalla View Post

Need some help. My father installed his new 709 this week and has had nothing but problems with his Motorola DCX-3200 cable box. Sometimes when turning everything on, the HDMI settings on the cable box drop down to 480p. Then he needs to press Power then Menu on the cable remote to access the TV resolution settings to get it back to 1080i. Other times, he gets a black screen, yet he can see the OSD menus from the cable box. He does not seem to have this problem with the 1st gen AppleTV, Sony BDP, or Dish Network sat receiver, all via HDMI.

Reading through some of the threads, I've given him a few suggestions...
- change color space on Moto DCX-3200 from YCC 4:4:4 to RGB
- Turn off HDMI-CEC on Samsung 61" DLP TV
- Turn off HDMI control (RIHD) on the 709
- upgrade the firmware on the 709

Any other suggestions from anyone? I'm troubleshooting this from 200 miles away, so any help would be appreciated.

Hey there, I have the same problems with my Comcast DVR. Everytime I turn on both the tv and receiver, the cable box goes back down to 720p, and I then have to go back into the cable box settings to pump it back up to 1080i. When I only use the TV, the cable box remains at 1080i, so it is definitely something to do with how the receiver and the cable box are "talking" to each other. I've just resigned myself to resetting the cable box. If you do get an answer (other than plugging the cable directly into the TV and using a separate optical cable out to the receiver (which kinda defeats the whole point of the single HDMI cable), I'd appreciate it if you could pass it on to me. Thanks, Mark
post #418 of 2418 Old 12-08-2011, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

the first couple of firmware attempts failed but the third time worked; I am very curious to see the Audyssey results tonight.

For people using the Audyssey settings - when enabled, do those negate the crosssover and other settings? What are most people using for the LPF of LFE, and/or the crossover settings (mine all defaulted to THX 80khz) on their 709s?

also, I switched the setting to 4 ohm speakers because that's what my speakers are rated at, but i have heard varying things about whether i should actually set the receiver at 4 ohms.

thanks in advance for any info/insight
post #419 of 2418 Old 12-08-2011, 07:55 AM
585-645-1006

^^
After running Audyssey, you can adjust the speaker settings without effecting the Audyssey filters although the minimum crossover to use with a sub in the setup is 80hz. The LPF of LFE setting should be left at it's factory default setting of 120hz to allow the full LFE signal through from the source. Leave the speaker impedance set to the factory default of 6Ω unless the 709 shuts down in protection mode, then lower it to 4Ω as setting it to 4Ω will limit current flow.

post #420 of 2418 Old 12-08-2011, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

thanks JD! i didn't touch the LPF or crossover settings, i'll likely set the crossovers to the default THX 80hz unless i hear something strange after audyssey calibration (and obviously after re-setting the channel levels).
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Nr709
Gear in this thread - Nr709 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page