Onkyo TX NR709 Owners' Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 2405 Old 12-21-2011, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Just out of curiosity does anyone's receiver ever not recognize 5.1 and just show up as 2.0. Usually after switching from the TV speakers to the receiver. Usually by shutting RIHD off than back on with a reset of the receiver from on to off this fixes the issue.

65VT60+55GT50+Onkyo TX-NR727+Denon AVR-1913+OPPO bdp-103+OPPO bdp-83=Heaven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2405 Old 12-21-2011, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by egghead567 View Post

Ditto for me. No hiccup in sound, just a slight stutter in video. I have people over often for movies, and I'm the only one who notices it, but it drives me bonkers. A couple things I intend to try are 1) Using the HDMI (sub) out instead of the Main. Some comments in the manual suggest that less processing occurs there, including the inability to use on-screen menus, etc. 2) Buried DEEP in the manual on pg. 79, there is an instruction on how to turn the DEEPCOLOR function OFF and to try it if the picture is unstable. You do it by pressing CBL/SAT and ON/STANDBY simultaneously. Probably just hoping for a miracle, but I really want to figure this out. Other than this slight glitch, I love the receiver. Especially for the price!

I just shut Deep Color off too. I don't know why ONKYO hides these features. The Deep Color setting was easily configured in the 707. I'll tell you one thing it definitely appears like the Signal is less processed after shutting it off. Especially while watching cable.

65VT60+55GT50+Onkyo TX-NR727+Denon AVR-1913+OPPO bdp-103+OPPO bdp-83=Heaven
post #543 of 2405 Old 12-21-2011, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp View Post

Thanks OSU! You helped me figure out what to use. I was also looking at that RCA cable and after reading all the positive reviews and your recommendation I will get this cable. I already purchased a HDMI-to-Cat6 wall plate for my video signal. I have 3 weeks until close on my new house and I cant wait to connect everything.

In that case, you don't need the HDMI wall plate that I used. All you need is the much cheaper RCA component wall plate if all you need is a hookup for your sub.

FYI, you can consolidate into one wall plate if you use the original wall plate that I recommended. Just run a 35FT HDMI cable to it as well as the sub cable, and you'll have a much cleaner look (instead of two wall plates). The HDMI/CAT6 wall plates will work, but those are used for much much longer runs (30 meters). Then again, you may need the extra distance, I don't know the details. Just my opinion. Good luck with the new place!
post #544 of 2405 Old 12-22-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garciab View Post

Not likely to get component output from HDMI sources. Receivers can upconvert, like component up to HDMI, but not the other way around. Something in the digital copy protection agreement prevents this. You'd have to run the component cables to the receiver too, to get the component output.

Well. that sucks. Guess I'm gonna have to replace my snack bar monitor with a newer one with hdmi

Thanks for the come-back~!

Tim
post #545 of 2405 Old 12-24-2011, 10:07 AM

post #546 of 2405 Old 12-24-2011, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalih View Post

If you're looking:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Crud. Missed it. Yes, I'm looking, and I've been checking newegg and amazon religiously for a price break, but I still missed it.
post #547 of 2405 Old 12-25-2011, 08:18 PM

Just unboxed my 709 today and have it setup for the most part. I have my PS3 in the BD/DVD source and my Comcast box on the CBL/SAT source. I am using the HDMI Main and ARC on my TV input so when the receiver goes into standby mode, I still get the picture and sound to my TV. What I can't figure out is how to change the source when the Receiver is in standby mode and I'm using the TV volume. My ultimate goal is to be able to use my harmony remote configured with both a USE Receiver option and TV sound. Thanks for any help.
post #548 of 2405 Old 12-26-2011, 01:09 AM

I have a question about the TX NR709...

I'm trying to figure out whether the receiver supports the configuration where I can select one input to go to HDMI Out Main, while a second input goes to HDMI Out Sub. And at the same time I want to choose which HDMI input the audio source is. Example:

HDMI In 3 -> HDMI Out Main
HDMI In 5 -> HDMI Out Sub
HDMI In 3 -> Audio source

Note that both of these signals will be sent at the same time. Is this possible?
post #549 of 2405 Old 12-26-2011, 06:43 PM

Received a TX-NR709 as a christmas gift. It replaced an AVR-247. In any case, it seemed to work great yesterday. Now today I noticed in silent areas of a show/music/movie some of the speakers had a static sound that would come and go. This sound did not exist yesterday, and it does not exist with the receiver on but not playing anything.

Also, just a couple mins ago the receiver turned itself off (it's cool to the touch). I can turn it on, but it just turns itself off again after a couple seconds (long enough for you to see the Onkyo logo on the tv). I tried to do the factory reset, which didn't seem to help. Any ideas, or have I just managed to get a dud?
post #550 of 2405 Old 12-26-2011, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPark View Post

Crud. Missed it. Yes, I'm looking, and I've been checking newegg and amazon religiously for a price break, but I still missed it.

$499 right now. 10:09 EST Monday night!
post #551 of 2405 Old 12-26-2011, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardru View Post

$499 right now. 10:09 EST Monday night!

I ordered one moments ago 11:55PM Monday 12/26.

I came here to "bone up " on the latest info; my older Onk is giving some trouble and so I decided now was the time. I only skimmed this thread as I had been researching heavily into the NR609, but the Amazon NR709 price drop caught my eye and so, with minimal (not enough) rapid research I did the One-Click on the TX NR-709.

Coming back and reading further now has me concerned...and feeling a little deja vu.

I'm concerned by reports of video drop-out in the 709.
My OLD Onkyo is a TX-SR674; a VERY well appointed and featured machine for its price class at the time. The 674, however, had a video issue that led to a factory Service Bulletin and free repair including the replacement of a small PCB (CLICK). The issue was related to the layers of copyright protections and the verification/permissions process between machines (HDCP). I sent mine for the fix and had vendor issues (the sad tale here) but once the unit was home in repaired state it worked well for some years...but the video drop issue has returned lately, (worse than ever) and I can't explain it.

It's disconcerting to realize that the same gremlin may lurk in the newest units...

Ricky
post #552 of 2405 Old 12-27-2011, 09:56 AM

Liked: 11
Greetings all,

I am currently using the 709 with a 5.1 setup using all Vintage Pinnacle Speakers (L/R Gold Towers, Widescreen Gold Center, AC-800 Rear) and two Velo SPL-12's. Room size is 16 x 10 with 7 foot ceilings.

Has anyone reviewed the power output of the 709 with all channels Driven? I am considering the Emotiva XPA-5 for power, and don't know how much of an improvement I'll see with regard to dynamic range, imaging, clarity, etc.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

-Matt
post #553 of 2405 Old 12-27-2011, 07:30 PM

Hi,

I am new to this home theatre gig. I just purchased a tx-nr709. Haven't recieved it yet but have been reading the owners manual so I am not overwelmed when it arrives.

I am curious if I will be able to control my direct tv receiver/dvr, a vizio bluray player, and an xbox 360 with the remote supplied with this receiver. If not, should I be looking at something like the logitech harmony remote or should I just settle on using three different remotes to control each component?

I was hoping I could control everything with one remote.

Also, do most people setup everything thru the reciever first or thru the tv first? Just curious
post #554 of 2405 Old 12-27-2011, 09:01 PM

Hi

I got mine today ,and am trying to set it up,but im not receiving the setup screen through component.

I dont have hdmi.

Could someone please tell me if im doing something wrong,or is it only possible to get the video of the setup screen through HDMI.

Much appreciated
post #555 of 2405 Old 12-27-2011, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrp11 View Post

Hi

I got mine today ,and am trying to set it up,but im not receiving the setup screen through component.

I dont have hdmi.

Could someone please tell me if im doing something wrong,or is it only possible to get the video of the setup screen through HDMI.

Much appreciated

Hi mrp11, read page 43 in OM.

Quote:

The on-screen menus appear only on a TV that is
connected to the HDMI OUT MAIN. If your TV is
connected to other video outputs, use the AV
receiver's display when changing settings.

post #556 of 2405 Old 12-28-2011, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi mrp11, read page 43 in OM.

Thanks for the help,and the quick reply.

May i ask a possibly silly question?,How do i change the modes with the remote,like Neo 6,Direct,Pl2,

I can change them on the receiver,but i cant figure it out on the remote control,or its not responding to my presses.

Sorry if im missing the obvious.

Much appreciated
post #557 of 2405 Old 12-28-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flak View Post

Received a TX-NR709 as a christmas gift. It replaced an AVR-247. In any case, it seemed to work great yesterday. Now today I noticed in silent areas of a show/music/movie some of the speakers had a static sound that would come and go. This sound did not exist yesterday, and it does not exist with the receiver on but not playing anything.

Also, just a couple mins ago the receiver turned itself off (it's cool to the touch). I can turn it on, but it just turns itself off again after a couple seconds (long enough for you to see the Onkyo logo on the tv). I tried to do the factory reset, which didn't seem to help. Any ideas, or have I just managed to get a dud?

I was having similar issues. It turned out that a couple of frays from the speaker wires were touching the nearby screws on the back and grounding/shorting out. I would start by double checking there. I was pretty careful but I am guessing when I stuffed everything back once I finished wiring, some things moved around a bit.
post #558 of 2405 Old 12-28-2011, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrp11 View Post

Thanks for the help,and the quick reply.

May i ask a possibly silly question?,How do i change the modes with the remote,like Neo 6,Direct,Pl2,

I can change them on the receiver,but i cant figure it out on the remote control,or its not responding to my presses.

Sorry if im missing the obvious.

Much appreciated

Again...it's in the manual....You got one correct?
post #559 of 2405 Old 12-28-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardru View Post

Again...it's in the manual....You got one correct?

Thanks again.

I did not get a manual in the box,just a quick start quide,but i found one on the Onkyo site,and should be fine now.

cheers
post #560 of 2405 Old 12-29-2011, 02:43 AM

Is there any solution to the HDMI handshake issues? The receiver frequently displays No Signal after resting for a while (either turned off or on). I then have to turn it off, wait a few seconds then turn it back on to get things to work. None of the firmware updates brought any improvements.

Any ideas how to mitigate this issue?
post #561 of 2405 Old 12-29-2011, 03:41 AM

I've owned three Onkyos - an 805, 807, and now a 709. I have never seen this issue. I have a WD TV Live Hub, a Roku 2 XD, an Onkyo DVD, a Sony Blu-ray, and a Tivo Premiere all connected to my 709 via HDMI and have never had a handshaking problem.

What is the component that causes this issue?

Samsung UN65ES6500
Onkyo TX-NR809
Sony Blu-Ray BDP-S590
Boston Acoustic VR 30 Fronts
Boston Acoustic VR 20 Surrounds
Boston Acoustic VR10 Center
Energy ESW-310 Subwoofer
post #562 of 2405 Old 12-29-2011, 04:23 AM

It's happens with my HTPC. I'm not sure about the BD player, as I rarely use it.
post #563 of 2405 Old 12-29-2011, 05:48 AM

If you have updated the firmware on the 709, my money would be on the HTPC video card HDMI port or video driver.

Samsung UN65ES6500
Onkyo TX-NR809
Sony Blu-Ray BDP-S590
Boston Acoustic VR 30 Fronts
Boston Acoustic VR 20 Surrounds
Boston Acoustic VR10 Center
Energy ESW-310 Subwoofer
post #564 of 2405 Old 12-29-2011, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlind01 View Post

Did you check the Audio input on the Receiver side by pressing Remote / Display button. I get only 2.0 in audio thru HDMI.

Yep, just confirmed this - getting 5.1 Dolby Digital from the Dish DVR. (In System Setup -> Audio Output on the DVR, i have Dolby Digital/PCM as the decoder and Line as the method.)

"He who asks feels dumb for a few minutes, but he who does not ask remains dumb forever."

post #565 of 2405 Old 12-29-2011, 07:49 AM

So I cracked the first part of my challenge: If I set the computer (optical 1) as the digital audio source associted with PC/TV or PORT, then I am able to first hit BD/DVD and then hit PC/TV and hear my computer music while continuing to watch a Blu-ray.

The question now is -- how do I make it pass through the full HDMI signal to the TV with SOUND INCLUDED so that I can at least hear the Blu-ray sound in stereo over the TV's speakers? Right now no sound comes through to the TV when I do this. \\ I often want some background noise/unimportant things playing on the TV while I'm listening to music seriously on the 5.1 speakers.

P.S. What the heck does "PORT" stand for? It was hard figuring out what sources Onkyo considered "audio-only".
post #566 of 2405 Old 12-29-2011, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prognathous View Post

Is there any solution to the HDMI handshake issues? The receiver frequently displays No Signal after resting for a while (either turned off or on). I then have to turn it off, wait a few seconds then turn it back on to get things to work. None of the firmware updates brought any improvements.

i've had this happen a lot with my 709 and my cable box (comcast motorola via hdmi). i'm also on the current firmware. it happened a lot more directly after setting everything up, and i have noticed that it is much less frequent now.
post #567 of 2405 Old 12-29-2011, 08:29 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prognathous View Post

HDMI handshake issues are generally source device related. They can be mitigated to some degree by powering on the TV first, then AVR, then source device. Otherwise, in the case of cable/sat box, connecting HDMI directly to the TV and optical from box to AVR is often the best solution (other than replacing the source device).

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #568 of 2405 Old 12-29-2011, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Good day

just purchased a new tx-nr709, hook it up with HDMI but the unit does not detect the hdmi cable and keeps telling me there is no signal

did a full reset still unable to get a signal

anything special i should do or do i need to declare the unit defective ?

Alain

Alain Pilon

Lasalle, Québec Canada
post #569 of 2405 Old 12-29-2011, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by apilon View Post

Good day

just purchased a new tx-nr709, hook it up with HDMI but the unit does not detect the hdmi cable and keeps telling me there is no signal

did a full reset still unable to get a signal

anything special i should do or do i need to declare the unit defective ?

Alain

I solved the problem don't know how but i needed to move the hdmi out to sub in prder to have my bd player recognized by hdmi if i just wanted to play a music cd

Alain Pilon

Lasalle, Québec Canada
post #570 of 2405 Old 12-30-2011, 09:09 AM

I just got an Emotiva XPA-3. I've never used 12V triggers before and wanted to take advantage of this, as my old amps do not have 12V triggers. I didn't realize that the 709's 12V trigger is designed for zone 2. I've got it setup and I have to press the Zone 2 button on the remote and then the power button to turn on the amp. A little clunky and not what I planned on when I bought a new amp, but it does work. Is there any draw-back to doing this, as I do not actually have a zone 2?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Nr709
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page